• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
With everyone making a killing selling pointless NFTs for lots of money, it makes sense that companies already experienced with micro transactions would try to get in on the next scam, I mean, monetisation strategy.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
This one actually hurts

FDa4LewUUAEwdxU

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
All digital centric purchases are essentially NFTs anyway right once the server goes offline?

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Everything is going to be NFT, what that even mean in the playing part?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe NFTs are starting to be this big thing. We are completely idiots...

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
Who are the people deciding these things and why are they part of the video game business? Legislation is still years away for stuff like this. Look at how long it took them to realise Lootboxes were gambling all along.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
EA and Square Enix... Can't say I'm surprised at all.
While that's true, this one stings. I don't feel nothing boycotting Activision and EA games, nothing of value was lost since I stopped giving them money. But Final Fantasy might be my favorite gaming franchise, and Guardians is my GOTY. Forspoken might be my most anticipated 2022 without a Ragnarok in the title. This sucks for me way more than whatever non sense EA and Activision do.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I can't believe NFTs are starting to be this big thing. We are completely idiots...

Blockchain and NFT stuff was bound to happen in games sooner or later. Potential to make even more cash and increase stock value. I can see other industries adopting these concepts too, especially if it goes well in gaming.

lazycat

Aug 20, 2021
While that's true, this one stings. I don't feel nothing boycotting Activision and EA games, nothing of value was lost since I stopped giving them money. But Final Fantasy might be my favorite gaming franchise, and Guardians is my GOTY. Forspoken might be my most anticipated 2022 without a Ragnarok in the title. This sucks for me way more than whatever non sense EA and Activision do.
I'm not boycotting EA as a company either. Some of their games I still get. But games that have been ruined thanks to their greediness I simply don't buy.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a world where Square still consistently produced amazing games and that was their primary business model. God, I wish old Square would come back. This shit is so depressing.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guarantee you every AAA is looking into NFT's.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Blockchain and NFT stuff was bound to happen in games sooner or later. Potential to make even more cash and increase stock value. I can see other industries adopting these concepts too, especially if it goes well in gaming.
Marvel has been low key experimenting with that as well. DC too, I think. It's infuriating, but it seems inevitable too. I'm not spending one single dime or even adopting these things even for free. It's bad for the environment and it's not like we aren't embroiled with a climate crisis as it is. Hopefully it's just an idiotic fad.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
All these NFT games things scream, "We don't know jack brick how this is going to be, but we'll get some investors out of it".

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix... i wonder who's next, probably 2k lol.
Take Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick had an interview on the topic yesterday, overall he believes in the idea of collectible digital goods, but isnt convinced blockchain technology and NFTs are some magical guaranteed way for success on that path:
"If you believe in collectible physical goods, I don't know why you wouldn't believe in collectible digital goods," Zelnick says. "And blockchain authorization, which is what an NFT really is, is one way -- not the only way -- to authenticate the fact something is singular is rare.

"So I'm a big believer, but what I don't believe is that just because something is digital or an NFT that it suddenly has value and/or has value that will be increased in the future. And I think that's the problem.
NFTs, because they're related to the blockchain as currently contemplated and because some have gone for a lot of money, are seen by some as just another opportunity to invest in a speculation that some think will only go up. And speculations don't just go up; they come down to.

"For an NFT to be valuable and durable, it has to be found at the intersection of rarity and quality, of rarity and value. And there's rarity for sure in all NFTs, but I'm not sure there's value."
www.gamesindustry.biz

Take-Two CEO down on metaverse, but a 'big believer' in NFTs

Strauss Zelnick has been openly skeptical of the metaverse before, but that was before Facebook changed its name and re…
At least his take on the topic seems more level headed imo compared to all these other companies that hop on these trends and buzz words

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Still no idea what that even means...
Like... digital items that only one person can own? I don't really see a use case for this in a game. Want to sell the cool character skin? Well only one person can actually buy it.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Take Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick had an interview on the topic yesterday, overall he believes in the idea of collectible digital goods, but isnt convinced blockchain technology and NFTs are some magical guaranteed way for success on that path:

www.gamesindustry.biz

Take-Two CEO down on metaverse, but a 'big believer' in NFTs

Strauss Zelnick has been openly skeptical of the metaverse before, but that was before Facebook changed its name and re…
At least his take on the topic seems more level headed imo compared to all these other companies that hop on these trends and buzz words
This is more in line with what i think as well. NFTs at best seem useful for a digital version of something like the pokemon cards. But the people pumping money into this are just buying any odd thing believing that just because its nft it will increase in value.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Everyone throws these buzzwords around suddenly at investors meeting, surely this isnt just to have it mentioned to easy investors.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Perhaps the up side of all these corporations chasing the scam is that they will all fail miserably and all get it out of their system early.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely kinda feels like imma be leaving this hobby behind within 12 months lol. What a fucking shit show.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely kinda feels like imma be leaving this hobby behind within 12 months lol. What a fucking shit show.

This is mostly talking points for shareholders, i wouldn't worry too much about it, the demand for NFT games is coming from suits desperate for growth, not from actual consumers.

Nov 23, 2017
I honestly don't even care. They'll still sell their games in standard formats across digital storefronts and that is where I'll be making my purchases.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is mostly talking points for shareholders, i wouldn't worry too much about it, the demand for NFT games is coming from suits desperate for growth, not from actual consumers.
I get that but that worry is what effect this has on devs for me. The last time we saw anything be pushed this hard across the industry was probably MTX when they first surfaced. And whilst they showed up on the customers side too, it also meant a whole load of games being virtually designed around incorporating them. I guess my worry is the same will be happening again whether it's as immediately noticeable to the user.

I mean we've already seen one of the old leads at EA say how glad he is to not have to grit his teeth every time their bosses fawn over this stuff. We probably won't know for a while how many projects get prolonged with stuff like this just for the sake of pleasing a shareholder, likely at the expense of extra work for the devs

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
NFT's feel like the new "3D". 3D games, 3D TV's, 3D cinemas!!!! Rammed down peoples throat by marketing companies yet not wanted or given any interest by literally anyone.

Aug 30, 2020
Still no idea what that even means...
Like... digital items that only one person can own? I don't really see a use case for this in a game. Want to sell the cool character skin? Well only one person can actually buy it.

It means someone making 'unique' horrible looking ape 3d models for Final Fantasy 17 MMO and every person buys their own horrible looking 3d head and walks around gobbling up your RAM

The future capitalists libertarians want