• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we already knew that there were plans for other platforms in the long-term, though. Am I mistaken?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it was planned for other platforms - they wouldnt announce it this way.
You wont hear about about other versions until the PS4 version has been released.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Of course Xbox and PC will follow. I thought it was crystal clear when they said "released first on PlayStation 4" back in 2015 at E3.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was planned for other platforms - they wouldnt announce it this way.
You wont hear about about other versions until the PS4 version has been released.

Sure, but there's a notable difference in meaning between "We have nothing to announce" and "We have no plans"

In this context, I would absolutely have expected them to use the former phrasing.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The usual line that ultimately means nothing. They won't say anything before an official announcement.

AnthonyUK

Nov 6, 2017
I thought we already knew that there were plans for other platforms in the long-term, though. Am I mistaken?

It's never been officially confirmed, and probably won't be until whatever contractual period is not letting them talk about "plans" , then the day after that, it'll be revealed and dated.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's coming to PS5 as well down the line, but yeah that's no surprise they would say this now.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Well, a company would never lie or use weasel words to hide the truth, so I guess this means we will never see VII Remake on any other platforms, ever. I'd lie if I said I like this news, but I appreciate Square's honesty and clarity.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Yeah, it's bullshit "first on PS4" it's explicit, first and therefore after on other platforms ...

He can not say that there are no plans otherwise they would not specify the first on PS4 lol

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry about that, the harm has been done, the seed has been sown, they will now go to bed at night anxious, nervous and scared knowing that the xbox version could launch the same day and date as their precious PS version.

OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Play it first on PS4, second on PS5.

509027673461227542.png

Nov 1, 2017
There is absolutely no way Square Enix is going to go through all the expense and hassle of recreating one of their most famous games of all time and restrict the amount of money they will get by keeping it exclusive. Not to mention all the "play it first" wording. So i guess whatever truck full of money Sony threw at SE for this includes this nonsense about having to lie about other formats. Which is just so tedious... we're not fucking stupid.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but there's a notable difference in meaning between "We have nothing to announce" and "We have no plans"

In this context, I would absolutely have expected them to use the former phrasing.
Its the same difference to be honest.
They dont want people to think or expect the game on other systems.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Do they really think people are that dumb.

If it was forever locked down exclusively for Playstation, Sony would say so.

Do they think it's still 2003? Everybody knows what "launches first on [Platform X]" means.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do they think it's still 2003? Everybody knows what "launches first on [Platform X]" means.

They don't need it forever. Just for a few years. A remastered complete edition will surely release for PC and Switch 2.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They don't need it forever. Just for a few years. A remastered complete edition will surely release for PC and Switch 2.
Yes I know. I'm just baffled that S-E are using the "no plans" line when everyone can see through it.

They should just stick to "launching first on Playstation".

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
Well everyone knows that they just can't say that eventually it will come to other platforms.

Oct 25, 2017

Seems like they are trying to go the Crash route. It's too late to do that after it was revealed as a timed exclusive though. On the other hand Microsoft did turn Titanfall 1 into a permanent console exclusive so it can happen. I don't think that is case here. I would not be shocked by a PC only port though.

Well everyone knows that they just can't say that eventually it will come to other platforms.

But they already did say that. That's why this is so suspect.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it'll happen sooner or later. We've known this since the start.

I question how "accidental" that tweet on MS' part was though.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Square's flirting with Xbox annoys the shit out of me. Either publish all of your games on the platform, or don't.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about that, the harm has been done, the seed has been sown, they will now go to bed at night anxious, nervous and scared knowing that the xbox version could launch the same day and date as their precious PS version.
Will sleep easy with the E3 of dreams to get me through the night.

Jan 20, 2019
Wonder how Sony spun that. This is like getting RE2make as an exclusive.

Huge bag of money, it was annouance in 2015, problably started the developed in 2014 and releases in 2020. 6 years for a "remake" and for a 1 episode is to long.

Some peopel are saying that the exclusive deal maybe had fall off, but aparently it still stands.

I believe it will be like 6 to 12 months deal.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Watch Square being trashed on the internet because Xbox Germany messed up. I agree third party exclusives must die (timed or not), but this one was locked ages ago.

Karan S'jet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 9, 2019
I have to admit that the PlayStation temporary exclusivity makes this game my most anticipated ps game

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Square being trashed on the internet because Xbox Germany messed up. I agree third party exclusives must die (timed or not), but this one was locked ages ago.

Eh...no one really cares, the majority of people interested in this game own a PS4 and know that its gonna be an exclusive for a while. They delivered way too much during e3 for such small mistake to affect the public perception of the project.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Huge bag of money, it was annouance in 2015, problably started the developed in 2014 and releases in 2020. 6 years for a "remake" and for a 1 episode is to long.

Some peopel are saying that the exclusive deal maybe had fall off, but aparently it still stands.

I believe it will be like 6 to 12 months deal.
5-6 years is around the standard dev time for an AAA game of that scale though.