• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That is interesting. Supports what I heard that Sony bought full exclusivity to the game, though I would still expect it on PC in a couple of years or so. This game is important to the "history" of the PS platform

Im no insider though. Guess we will see in a few years
that would mean that the "first on PS4" stuff... meant PS5.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
The state of exclusivity for this game is so weird.

Announced with First on Ps4

State of Play trailer no mention of any exclusivity even though you would think Sony espcially would push this

E3 First on Ps4 again and with a new Press Release

First on Ps4 so obviously means other platforms later.

Now SE says no other platforms planned so why was this ever announced as First on Ps4 if other platforms aren't something they are thinking of. They could have just said from the beginning it is only coming to Ps4 for now with nothing else planned but you never know.

Why would SE out of nowhere word things in a way that changes the exclusivity from obviously timed to well maybe it will be on another platform but nothing is planned.

The only thing that would make sense to me is if this is a next gen thing again where no one can talk about next gen. So its not coming to Xbox 1 in like early 2020 but the next Xbox
Your reasoning sounds actually more believable than xbox staff just making a mistake posting a video of a game not announced on their platform, how can you even do something like that without realising it.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they just said "first on Playstation 4".
It doesn't tell us anything. It doesn't tell us which platform ? What if it was First on PS4 then PS5 ?
Why am I not seeing Geoff running everywhere to ask Sony representatives ?
Why am I not seeing Jason claiming Sony is paying Square Enix to keep FFVII from other platforms ?
unknown.png
You are literally proving my point. It was misleading messaging that raised questions. Seems like Jason believed the game was full on exclusive initially. I am sure play it first on PS4 when remake was announced back in 2015 clearly indicated multiplatform game because no one was thinking about ps5 at that time.

OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

State of Play trailer no mention of any exclusivity even though you would think Sony espcially would push this

Now SE says no other platforms planned so why was this ever announced as First on Ps4 if other platforms aren't something they are thinking of. They could have just said from the beginning it is only coming to Ps4 for now with nothing else planned but you never know.

Why would SE out of nowhere word things in a way that changes the exclusivity from obviously timed to well maybe it will be on another platform but nothing is planned.

The only thing that would make sense to me is if this is a next gen thing again where no one can talk about next gen. So its not coming to Xbox 1 in like early 2020 but the next Xbox

Could be that they already planned on a PS5 release, hence the "first on PS4" thing.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is interesting. Supports what I heard that Sony bought full exclusivity to the game, though I would still expect it on PC in a couple of years or so. This game is important to the "history" of the PS platform

Im no insider though. Guess we will see in a few years

You mean the franchise that started on the Nintendo system and the original game that is already also on the PC, Android, Switch , Xbox...

You are literally proving my point. It was misleading messaging that raised questions. Seems like Jason believed the game was full on exclusive initially. I am sure play it first on PS4 when remake was announced back in 2015 clearly indicated multiplatform game because no one was thinking about ps5 at that time.

True because Square never thought a PS5 was coming down the line.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
You are going to have to wait a few years for the answer. If it actually does release on other platforms, you aren't likely to see it until 2021 at the earliest, so just learn patience.

Something all SE fans should have in abundance

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Why would SE out of nowhere word things in a way that changes the exclusivity from obviously timed to well maybe it will be on another platform at some point but nothing is planned.

PlayStation has in recent months -removed a lot of mentions in regards to exclusivity of games when it comes to trailers of their games. Official marketing trailers for Days Gone, Medievil, etc - all no longer has "Only on PlayStation' labels on them.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the franchise that started on the Nintendo system and the original game that is already also on the PC, Android, Switch , Xbox...

True because Square never thought a PS5 was coming down the line.
Lmao great counter point. You got me. I am sure square is thinking about ps6 and ps7 at this time as well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There has been a giant "ONLY ON PLAYSTATION" logo ever since preorders went up on PSN's PS4 store.
It probably means timed exclusivity but why the hell are people surprised when it as clear from the start only PS4 is getting it first?

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Even though I will be getting this for the PS4 anyway, I do believe they should've released this on every platform, including Switch. More JRPG's in the west = more JRPG fans (one can hope) = more JRPG's created.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation has in recent months -removed a lot of mentions in regards to exclusivity of games when it comes to trailers of their games. Official marketing trailers for Days Gone, Medievil, etc - all no longer has "Only on PlayStation' labels on them.
Days gone and medieval too? Don't remember seeing those. My gut feeling is that we are going to see day 1 streaming through psnow of their games going forward and hence the only on Playstation doesn't make much sense. They did hint there will be a big push for psnow starting this fall iirc. Also don't mean day 1 available on psnow subscription like game pass but more like a $60 version available for streaming like stadia is about to offer.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao great counter point. You got me. I am sure square is thinking about ps6 and ps7 at this time as well.

It wasn't me who got you, it was Square and Sony. It's the same muddied waters as Tomb Raider becuase that's how these deals work. Sony and Microsoft are not going to pay for marketing and then want Square to spills the beans and talk about other platforms. It's obvious some will try and dedend this decsion more than the Tomb Raider deal when they are both designed to do one thing. Exclude others!

Oct 25, 2017
Days gone and medieval too? Don't remember seeing those. My gut feeling is that we are going to see day 1 streaming through psnow of their games going forward and hence the only on Playstation doesn't make much sense. They did hint there will be a big push for psnow starting this fall iirc.

That ain't happening. I would be shocked.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in 2015 they were thinking about PS5? nah, I still stick to my predicition back in 2015, this is no more then a 30 day exclusive for Sony. It'll arrive on Xbox and PC within a month of release.
I don't think so, Sony will make sure the Xbox version is at least 6 mobths away and most likely 1 year. That's their main competition.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It says in that article that people were pissed with the shady words used by Microsoft, calling it exclusive then back peddling and using weird marketing words that confused people, whereas SE and Sony have been clearer with FFVII by saying it's coming first to PlayStation and that there are no plans for the game to launch on other platforms on March 3rd. That is concrete information.
"Exclusive holiday 2015" is more definitive than "play it first on PlayStation"

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The weird part is, why wouldn't they just say "First on PS4, nothing else to say" like they used to?
Seemed pretty obvious this has always been a temp exclusive.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
A little surprised that it wont come to the XBox...I mean they launched all the new stuff on it,even a better version then on the PS4 for XII,they did Maxima for World of FF etc etc...I think we havent heard the last of this...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Days gone and medieval too? Don't remember seeing those. My gut feeling is that we are going to see day 1 streaming through psnow of their games going forward and hence the only on Playstation doesn't make much sense. They did hint there will be a big push for psnow starting this fall iirc. Also don't mean day 1 available on psnow subscription like game pass but more like a $60 version available for streaming like stadia is about to offer.
its more about sony getting rid of the branding itself rather than a change in strategy. they even had uncharted 4 with a console exclusive label once, their labeling team just sucks.

in 2015 they were thinking about PS5? nah, I still stick to my predicition back in 2015, this is no more then a 30 day exclusive for Sony. It'll arrive on Xbox and PC within a month of release.
first off, LOL at 30 day exclusivity.
second, they were thinking about the PS5, because the game was planned in parts. i dont think they ever planned on finishing all the parts on PS4.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't me who got you, it was Square and Sony. It's the same muddied waters as Tomb Raider becuase that's how these deals work. Sony and Microsoft are not going to pay for marketing and then want Square to spills the beans and talk about other platforms. It's obvious some will try and dedend this decsion more than the Tomb Raider deal when they are both designed to do one thing. Exclude others!
I do not disagree with you with regards to the end goal being exclude others but the outrage with ms/square on tomb raider was because they used the word exclusive when they announced it and decided to make it worse by repeating it when asked for clarification. Transparency is better than being misleading. Play it first on PS4 is as transparent as you can get in these sort of shitty deals.

Oct 25, 2017

30 days woud be a joke and completely unrealistic. Year at minimum for PC. Xbox not even guaranteed to get it, but same time frame if so.

And yet the situation is the same in the end, Sony is paying to delay the game elsewhere. Why did it become okay ?

There was no outrage when Dead Rising 4 was exclusive for year. Or when Cuphead went "full exclusive" only to be released on Switch too.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Square made several effort to bail out of the FF being Playstation exclusive, starting with making several spin-off.
Then when they could finally do it, they started throwing mainline FF everywhere as you can see with the HD ports/remakes, I have no doubt this is a timed exclusive as they wouldn't want to be stuck to a single platform again but the details will remain unknown for a long time.
30 days is way too short though.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

1 year probably

Atleast on PC it will release, would bet in PC/Xbox. People thinking Switch/Switch 2 are being too optimistic.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How long did it take for FFXV to release on PC after PS4? That could give us an idea on when/if it could release on another platform.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
How long did it take for FFXV to release on PC after PS4? That could give us an idea on when/if it could release on another platform.

A year and 4 months. FFXV came out on consoles in November 2016, and on PC in March 2018.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
They are very clear, they are saying no plans and all of you are insisting this is not the case ~__~ it will come to PC but now i think it is safe to assume this game won't release on Xbox One.

i mean, sure it could release after 5 or 10 years on other platforms but are you going to wait years to play the game?

exclusivity sucks but this is the case here, if you want to play FFVIIR you have to have PS4.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They are very clear, they are saying no plans and all of you are insisting this is not the case ~__~ it will come to PC but now i think it is safe to assume this game won't release on Xbox One.

i mean, sure it could release after 5 or 10 years on other platforms but are you going to wait years to play the game?

exclusivity sucks but this is the case here, if you want to play FFVIIR you have to have PS4.
It's not like they are gonna say it'll release on other platforms later, they want everyone to buy it now, pretty sure it'll release on Xbox too, the mainline series has been multi platform since 12 and there is no reason to change now.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading comprehension I take it?
Who, Sony or Square?

I think it will launch on ps4, then the ps5 and then at a later date on the pc.

Well I think will come to the PS5, too. So that's at least two platforms :)

(crosses fingers)

Edited in original comment but I meant a streaming version available for 60$. I don't see them being available as part of subscription day 1 tho like gamepass. Probably atleast a year before they put those as part of a subscription.

It's not too far fetched to think Square also might follow in the footsteps of Ubisoft and partner with Stadia.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It's clearly coming to Xbox. A mainline Final Fantasy hasn't missed the platform since the 360. This game has a budget at least on par with XB/KH3. PS4 alone isn't gonna get them the return they want.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
30 days woud be a joke and completely unrealistic. Year at minimum for PC. Xbox not even guaranteed to get it, but same time frame if so.

There was no outrage when Dead Rising 4 was exclusive for year. Or when Cuphead went "full exclusive" only to be released on Switch too.

Might be because Dead Rising 4 wasn't a game people cared about (althought Microsoft quickly clarified the lenght of the deal) They did for Tomb Raider though. And as you mentionned Cuphead:

I dont see anything of the sort for FFVII remake or Death Stranding. It's almost as if it was fine in one hand but not on the other.

Then again, I dont see the big sites on a mission to ask Square Enix or Sony.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It's not like they are gonna say it'll release on other platforms later, they want everyone to buy it now, pretty sure it'll release on Xbox too, the mainline series has been multi platform since 12 and there is no reason to change now.
since 12? ff7 launched on PC in 1998 lol, a few months later after the ps release.

Apr 10, 2019
Madrid
I hope this Remake will remains exclusive forever like MGS4, if not at least on consoles (Epic Store xclusivity for the lulz)

FFVII is an iconical game for the playstation nation and must stay always under our wings.

And yeah I'm still traumatized for the infamous BETRAYALTON of FFXIII, so many laughs, so many humillations....never again.

Oct 31, 2017
Nearly every single other FF on PC says otherwise, but if you guys wanna keep fibbing to cushion those PS4 numbers, go for it. I waited for Red Dead, I'll wait for this too. (Though I've almost bought RDR2 twice off the PS Store in the last month...)

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And yet the situation is the same in the end, Sony is paying to delay the game elsewhere. Why did it become okay ?

We have no idea what the deal between Sony and Square is. There's a pretty high chance that Sony might be partially funding the game like they did with Street Fighter V. Accusing them of "paying to delay it elsewhere" is dumb.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. They said it was a timed exclusive the day they announced they're making it.
If you don't own a PS4, or like me, would prefer to play it on another platform like the PC, just wait until they announce those versions. It'll probably be a year, year and a half, max.