• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but there's a notable difference in meaning between "We have nothing to announce" and "We have no plans"

In this context, I would absolutely have expected them to use the former phrasing.
But "we have nothing to announce" would pretty much confirm it for other platforms. So your post doesn't really make sense to me.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The weird part is, why wouldn't they just say "First on PS4, nothing else to say" like they used to?
Seemed pretty obvious this has always been a temp exclusive.

They did.
The weird part is that they did and then Xbox facebook posts something else and people starting raving because....reasons.
So they had to come out and clarify things.
They are not saying they wont release it at some point anyway but again people will rave about this statement because...reasons.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Maybe a port-house will make the game for other platforms in 2021 or later, or another team? Remember that the original team will be working on the next iteration of the game for PS4/PS5 by then. The game isn't going to be finished anytime soon, even for Sony

Also, "First for PS4" is no longer on the materials. They all simply say PS4 now ...

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Eh it's a big ole mess like tomb raider. I don't really care since I don't plan on playing it. I'm sure it will blow over in a couple of days though.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting ridiculous, I mean, first we all know a game like ffvii is not ps4 exclusive because if it was sony would be printing it on every ps4 console ever lol, and have it as an ad on all their websites, 2nd we all know microsoft DID SLIP IT on PURPOSE, dont tell me a fucker made a "mistake" with a game as big as ffvii, that doesnt just happen, 3rd square enix doing damage control with the classic "no plans at THIS time" which can teorically change any second and they will still be safe in the sense they arent lying teorically, 4th (and saddest) people losing their sleep about a game coming to another console.

This is why the videogame medium might never be respected as it deserves, companies and sometimes us fans, act way too weird.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really bizarre. We all know there is no way your aren't going to release on a console with what it is it 50 million units sold now? Squenix is so bad at marketing it's not even funny.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SE is going to port this game to XB1, Switch and PC at some point. They aren't going to announce those versions until the PS4 version is out.

This is really bizarre. We all know there is no way your aren't going to release on a console with what it is it 50 million units sold now? Squenix is so bad at marketing it's not even funny.

Are you talking about the Xbox One here?

Oh absolutely. I will happily keep chipping away at my backlog while i wait for FF7 to come to my preferred platform of choice. I'm in no rush here. Didn't SE pull a similar stunt with Nier Automata? Pretty sure the PC version was very quietly swept under the rug until it suddenly released. It's not like SE has been busily porting a shitload of FF games to multiple platforms as well and if god damned KH3 can come to Xbox 1 with none of the previous games having been released on there i'm not worried for FF7.

You better hope the PC port is better than that Nier port.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
How long did it take for FFXV to release on PC after PS4? That could give us an idea on when/if it could release on another platform.

Completely irrelevant. Final Fantasy XV was multi-platform from the start, and released on the Xbox One day and date with the PlayStation 4. Also, game director Hajime Tabata openly stated that he was interested in working on a PC version of Final Fantasy XV after the console version is complete before the console version was even released. And even then it took a year and four months. There's been no such discussion of anything of the sort here.

As I said before, there are no lies in their statement. A lie would be "it's NEVER coming to other platforms." They are being quite honest, "we have no plans." This is not a single game, it's quite possible they want all episodes out before they explore multi-platforms. It's quite possible by the time that happens, that platform could be Stadia.

"Play it first on PlayStation" does not guarantee where and when you play it second.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Sony doesn't have the Only on PS4 moniker on their OWN games anymore. What that means is a whole different conversation completely, but I wouldn't count on that. I'm sure you will eventually see it on PC/XBox/etc ... But it isn't going to be for quite awhile. The game doesn't even come out until next year for PS4, and if there is the likely one year exclusive

Maybe you will see it in 2021 or so, if another team is willing to port it

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
As I said before, there are no lies in their statement. A lie would be "it's NEVER coming to other platforms." They are being quite honest, "we have no plans." This is not a single game, it's quite possible they want all episodes out before they explore multi-platforms. It's quite possible by the time that happens, that platform could be Stadia.

"Play it first on PlayStation" does not guarantee where and when you play it second.

THIS !

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Squeenix, if you could stop signing timed exclusivity deals for some of your biggest brands, that'd be grand. It was annoying with Tomb Raider, it's annoying here.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I hope this Remake will remains exclusive forever like MGS4, if not at least on consoles (Epic Store xclusivity for the lulz)

FFVII is an iconical game for the playstation nation and must stay always under our wings.

And yeah I'm still traumatized for the infamous BETRAYALTON of FFXIII, so many laughs, so many humillations....never again.

Don't think like that, only kids do.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I hope this Remake will remains exclusive forever like MGS4, if not at least on consoles (Epic Store xclusivity for the lulz)

FFVII is an iconical game for the playstation nation and must stay always under our wings.

And yeah I'm still traumatized for the infamous BETRAYALTON of FFXIII, so many laughs, so many humillations....never again.

Some people would say it isn't needed, but imo you kinda forgot your /s : V

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Has Square Enix ever commented on their Xbox support for the Japanese side?
Type 0, FF15 and KH3 were announced for xbox way before people knew how it would sell in Japan OR that it would be out sold in NA. Since then they have been a lot more careful.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation has in recent months -removed a lot of mentions in regards to exclusivity of games when it comes to trailers of their games. Official marketing trailers for Days Gone, Medievil, etc - all no longer has "Only on PlayStation' labels on them.

Hm good point. Still weird to have SE change the wording like this.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It's not like they are gonna say it'll release on other platforms later, they want everyone to buy it now, pretty sure it'll release on Xbox too, the mainline series has been multi platform since 12 and there is no reason to change now.

If this was the case they would've worded this differently. it is safe to assume this game won't come to another gaming device in the near future.

also a lot has changed: Xbox stopped chasing Japanese games for a long time and during that time games like FFXII and FFX skipped Xbox until very recently. SE management changed and the new CEO has a very strong relationship with Playstation.

and Xbox 360 at a time was better selling than PS3, now PS4 has almost double the userbase of Xbox One. no actually more than double. they can achieve all the success they want even with one platform because this platform is very strong worldwide.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
That is because I expect that Sony is considering delving into the PC market as well ... Honestly, I expect that PC will be the platform for most hardcore gamers next generation

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they just said "first on Playstation 4".
It doesn't tell us anything. It doesn't tell us which platform ? What if it was First on PS4 then PS5 ?
Why am I not seeing Geoff running everywhere to ask Sony representatives ?
Why am I not seeing Jason claiming Sony is paying Square Enix to keep FFVII from other platforms ?
unknown.png
Come on, you know why lol. No matter what mental gymnastics people do, it's exclusive to the "main" console this gen so there won't be as much outrage, because people are hypocrites

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
It doesn't tell us anything. It doesn't tell us which platform ? What if it was First on PS4 then PS5 ?
Why am I not seeing Jason claiming Sony is paying Square Enix to keep FFVII from other platforms ?
unknown.png

I didnt know about this, maybe jschreier wants to chime in lol.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, PC is bound to have it, when people talk about "exclusive" this days, is pretty much saying "console exclusive".

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
We have no idea what the deal between Sony and Square is. There's a pretty high chance that Sony might be partially funding the game like they did with Street Fighter V. Accusing them of "paying to delay it elsewhere" is dumb.

We have no idea indeed and it seems like the people who were so eager to ask Microsoft and Square Enix about Tomb Raider aren't so eager to do so for FFVII.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png
Come on, you know why lol. No matter what mental gymnastics people do, it's exclusive to the "main" console this gen so there won't be as much outrage, because people are hypocrites
I didnt know about this, maybe jschreier wants to chime in lol.

I haven't tweeted anything about this particular situation, but do you really think I'm not going to equally criticize whatever company pulls this kind of shit? https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1115731964835827713

You fucking console warriors are so lame.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony could have even paid for what they estimate it'd sell on xbox, because fans of japanese games are mostly on ps4. We know the splits are huge between ps and xbox for these type of games.
By this point, considering it's literally been years, I think something would have already leaked about other platforms. I also don't think Xbox was ever going to get the game. My initial thought was PS4 then PC.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
So is SOny paying for this exclusivity, and we are ok with it?
There's maybe history involved.

Sony paid for Square to not get bankrupted, and that gives them a bit of preferential treatment... especially regarding FF7. They heavily invested in Square when they were hurting, at the time FF moved from Nintendo to Playstation.

In this case, I think Square is just focusing on the platform that will bring them most sales. I expect that FF7R will eventually come out on PC/Xbox.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tweeted anything about this particular situation, but do you really think I'm not going to equally criticize whatever company pulls this kind of shit? https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1115731964835827713

I'm not saying you wouldn't do it Jason. I'm saying the treatment of the situation by the industry as a whole has been different. Can we at least agree on that ?
It doesn't mean you have a preferences or that you are being unfair. It just mean it is how it is. I posted an entire article (which was yours btw) with a long list of people from the industry.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018

I dont know, not a console warrior myself (pc master race here enjoying the fireworks) but I appreciate your articles so to me it was kind of dissapointing to see that tweet without seeing one on this subject. Thanks for the clarification and sorry if I have hurt your feelings.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
We have no idea indeed and it seems like the people who were so eager to ask Microsoft and Square Enix about Tomb Raider aren't so eager to do so for FFVII.

Because we knew from the moment Remake was announced that it was a timed exclusive. There was much more confusion surrounding RotTR because it was announced as a full-on exclusive with murky messaging immediately after the press conference, made more problematic by the fact that its predecessor was a multi-platform game that had only come out a year or so prior.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because we knew from the moment Remake was announced that it was a timed exclusive. There was much more confusion surrounding RotTR because it was announced as a full-on exclusive with murky messaging immediately after the press conference, made more problematic by the fact that its predecessor was a multi-platform game that had only come out a year or so prior.

Wasn't Rise originally announced very hazily with timed exclusive messaging and then they pivoted hard into "actually it's full exclusive" territory (even though it wasn't) a couple hours later?

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying you wouldn't do it Jason. I'm saying the treatment of the situation by the industry as a whole has been different. Can we at least agree on that ?
It doesn't mean you have a preferences or that you are being unfair. It just mean it is how it is. I posted an entire article (which was yours btw) with a long list of people from the industry.
Let me guess. You want to say 'media bias' ?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
By this point, considering it's literally been years, I think something would have already leaked about other platforms. I also don't think Xbox was ever going to get the game. My initial thought was PS4 then PC.

Yeah that was always my take, ps4 with a pc release a few months later.
Maybe it'll come to xbox as a complete edition many years later but who knows. If sony are helping with funds though that probably won't happen.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018

Nobody really gave Sony or Activison crap over how they handled the details surrounding the Crash N. Sane Trilogy exclusivity situation. Or how Sony and Bamco strangely initially announced Ace Combat 7 and Tekken 7 as coming to PS4 with no other details on if those games were gonna come to other platforms, and it wasn't until those game got finalized release dates did they announce that they were also going to come out on Xbox and PC. Microsoft deserved all the crap they got for Rise of the Tomb Raider, and the weird way they announced the Dead Rising 4 timed exclusivity. The only time Sony has ever been clear about a game not coming out on a certain platform was Street Fighter V and they were clear from the very beginning too. I just think this is a scummy practice in general and everybody needs to be called out on this BS.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Wasn't Rise originally announced very hazily with timed exclusive messaging and then they pivoted hard into "actually it's full exclusive" territory (even though it wasn't) a couple hours later?

Time to pull out my ROTR copy-pasta.

Let's look at the overall chronology of how this exclusivity story came about :

1. Multiple indie games were announced at Gamescom as "First on Xbox." There was very clear implication that the exclusivity of said games were timed.

2. ROTR was announced as "Exclusive on Xbox, launching Holiday 2015." There was massive confusion from the get-go, because Point (1)'s language was used to announced timed-exclusives, but ROTR had a different language that implied bonafide exclusivity.

3. Games media didn't immediately buy into the announcement. When MS PR was pressed for a statement on the matter, folks like Geoff, etc clarify that MS refused to budge from the very "fixed statement" of "Exclusive on Xbox, launching holiday 2015."

4. Crystal Dynamics posted an article explaining the exclusivity, except they called it an exclusive, ( without the holiday 2015 line and no PR-safe terminology), which immediately prompted fans to suddenly get confused over the state of the game's exclusivity.

5. At the same time, CD effectively drew anger from Playstation/PC fans by saying "Don't worry, Temple of Osiris for y'all to play!" in that same post.

6. Aaron Greenberg also referred to the post by CD to imply that ROTR is an actual exclusive, to further add fuel to fire.

7. Eurogamer Phil Spencer interview where he explained his position. This was an interview that was referenced by both sides of the camp, those who believe it's a timed exclusive, and those who believe it's a bonafide Xbox-exclusive that will only come to PC later, never PS4. Why was this interview so polarising to that extent?

8. In said interview, Phil defended his purchase of ROTR's exclusivity, making references to Uncharted, etc. He also used terms like "I didn't buy the franchise, I don't own the IP in perpetuity" and compared the deal, calling it "similar" to Ryse/Dead Rising 3, both games that are never coming to PS4, because it was fully funded by MS. He ultimately ended it by saying "the deal has a duration"

So basically, Phil basically admitted it was a timed-exclusive, but used very clever PR-language, referring the Tomb Raider IP (instead of referring to just the game) when talking about the exclusivity deal and saying the deal is 'similar' (similar =/= same) to Dead Rising and Ryse, knowing full well those 2 games are never coming to PS4.

9. In respect to the interview above, Crystal amended its original post, but they said "Phil Spencer confirmed that ROTR is a timed-exclusive."

10. Not too long later, the same post above is amended from "timed-exclusive" to "the deal has a duration."

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png
Lol, why would Sony market for other platforms? Some of you are so desperate for a RoTTR situation, that you make no sense. Sony said it's first on PlayStation, that's perfectly clear, they don't owe anything more then that.