• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Do you honestly think FFVIIR is SE's biggest project right now? I would argue that would be Avengers ... available for everything

No way lol. FF7R actually looks good. Its also a known quantity and a GOAT game.

Anyways, why are people getting so worked up? Its obviously a timed exclusive, either be patient or get it on the PS4. This is Square of the modern era where their games end up on everything.

Its not as bad as console makers buying game studios at the very least for example lol. Dont get the outrage. Its not even like Dragon Quest XI S with its additional features that, last I checked, wont be coming on the earlier versions on the other consoles. Heck, Square might do it with this game.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Okay for the platforms. But maybe the extent of said deal ? 6 months ? A year ? Only Sony platforms ? First game only ? Each game ? If timed, when does the period start running ? One period for each game releasing ? (Part 1 a year after release, part 2 a year after release) or once everything is released ? (A year after every games have been released).
I'd say at least a year of exclusivity, to run into next-gen slightly.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Okay for the platforms. But maybe the extent of said deal ? 6 months ? A year ? Only Sony platforms ? First game only ? Each game ? If timed, when does the period start running ? One period for each game releasing ? (Part 1 a year after release, part 2 a year after release) or once everything is released ? (A year after every games have been released).
Usually the deals don't allow talking about other platform releases at all, meaning nothing about the time, nothing about the deal. Occasionally we hear that something is a timed exclusive, but they very rarely are allowed to give the length, because the whole point is the platform holder who paid for exclusivity doesn't want people waiting to buy the game on something else.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If we can agree there's a difference between "Exclusive on Xbox, Holiday 2015" and "First on PlayStation 4", can we agree there's a difference between "Exclusive to PS4 for a year" and "Coming to Xbox One in a year" ?
The latter is marketing other platforms indeed. The former isnt and is also more honest.

Saying how long your game is exclusive isnt marketing it on other platforms. It's just being honest about how long you have it as an exclusive
Yeah, more information for consumers is never a bad thing, but you've not been saying that, you've been saying they are basically the same, which is completely untrue, 1 is very intentionally misleading, the other is just not being completely honest, but "first on PlayStation 4" is not misleading, we know exactly what that means and expecting mega corps to be completely honest for stuff they've probably pumped 10s of millions into is a bit foolish. Knowing the exact length of exclusivity, months/years before release would be them weakening their marketing and the games selling power on PS4, it's not really something they'll do and it'll be Square's job, not Sony's , I'm surprised they even went as far as to say "first on PlayStation" to begin with if I'm honest.

Also, them saying it's exclusive for 12 months, doesn't really answer most of your questions, wouldn't be the first game to be first on a console, then PC and then the other console, wouldn't even be the first from Square this gen.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I'd say at least a year as well ... and the "ports" won't be by the original team, which will be working on the next segment of the story

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017

Square doesn't even know how many parts the game will be in themselves.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Square doesn't even know how many parts the game will be in themselves.

Indeed but they could still have decided for a year exclusivity running "once the remake is complete".

Yeah, more information for consumers is never a bad thing, but you've not been saying that, you've been saying they are basically the same, which is completely untrue, 1 is very intentionally misleading, the other is just not being completely honest, but "first on PlayStation 4" is not misleading, we know exactly what that means and expecting mega corps to be completely honest for stuff they've probably pumped 10s of millions into is a bit foolish. Knowing the exact length of exclusivity, months/years before release would be them weakening their marketing and the games selling power on PS4, it's not really something they'll do and it'll be Square's job, not Sony's , I'm surprised they even went as far as to say "first on PlayStation" to begin with if I'm honest.

Also, them saying it's exclusive for 12 months, doesn't really answer most of your questions, wouldn't be the first game to be first on a console, then PC and then the other console, wouldn't even be the first from Square this gen.

It wouldn't answer all of my questions indeed. But it'd make the situation more clear.

Usually the deals don't allow talking about other platform releases at all, meaning nothing about the time, nothing about the deal. Occasionally we hear that something is a timed exclusive, but they very rarely are allowed to give the length, because the whole point is the platform holder who paid for exclusivity doesn't want people waiting to buy the game on something else.

Well, maybe asking Sony would be a good idea then. Microsoft was being asked if the deal has a duration. To which they confirmed it did and also confirmed a 90 days exclusivity for PC.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, maybe asking Sony would be a good idea then. Microsoft was being asked if the deal has a duration. To which they confirmed it did and also confirmed a 90 days exclusivity for PC.
Sony won't say anything.

If you're looking for an answer about exclusivity, or exclusivity period, you won't find one.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Sony won't say anything.

If you're looking for an answer about exclusivity, or exclusivity period, you won't find one.
That proves his point that Sony gets a pass every time they do this shit, like with nier automata, nioh, crash n sane.
I haven't forgotten 2 years ago when a Facebook Sony page answered a guy with "crash is fully exclusive", it was posted here too.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder what kind of deal this is

1 year exclusive for each part individually? or just the first part.

Or exclusive until they make a collection of all parts for all platforms? that's a bit much I guess lol.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That proves his point that Sony gets a pass every time they do this shit, like with nier automata, nioh, crash n sane.
I haven't forgotten 2 years ago when a Facebook Sony page answered a guy with "crash is fully exclusive", it was posted here too.
It's hard to say anything when you're not asked indeed. Which is my point tbh.

GS: Another big E3 reveal for you was the HD Final Fantasy 7 Remake, which was a huge crowd pleaser. How long does the timed exclusivity deal last?

Sony: We don't have anything to say about that at this point in time.

GS: I understand. I remember when Microsoft announced the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal, and Phil Spencer was engulfed by the press who were asking him how long the exclusivity lasted. I feel this issue deserves the same scrutiny.

Sony: Yes, but that whole thing was very ambiguous.

GS: Yes, but this is ambiguous as well. No one knows how long Final Fantasy 7 is a timed exclusive for.

Sony: [PR spokesperson: "At this stage, we are announcing that it's coming to our platform. There's nothing else we can say, in terms of exclusivity."]

That's all you're getting from Sony.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
And first on PS4 is also cryptic.
Well you are obviously in the minority with that opinion. Expecting square/Sony to talk about contract details is just wishful thinking. It could be as simple as square wanted to get the game out on PS4 first and then figuring out when and how to bring to other platforms.

Sony/square not mentioning the word exclusive is all that is needed nowadays to not raise questions from the media. Should Nintendo have clarified octopath is not an exclusive and is coming to pc in one year or Travis strikes back should have been mentioned for PS4 and pc coming out later? I kinda feel like saying first on PS4 is far better than those situations.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to say anything when you're not asked indeed. Which is my point tbh.
They'll just say it's first on PS4. There's no way they'd say "it's exclusive for X and Y and then can release on C and E" Square will talk about that when they can. Square don't even seem to know exactly how many episodes there is, so who the fuck knows when they'll talk other platforms and how exclusivity will be handled from episode to episode.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sony actually publishes Nioh everywhere but Japan.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SE Delayed Nier, had nothing to do with sony.
Sony published Nioh

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
  1. Rise of the Tomb Raider when announced was claimed to be "Exclusive". Nowhere was it ever mentioned timed or at launch only etc. It took them a whole 24 hours to finally explain it was indeed timed.
  2. When FF7R was revealed it specifically stated "First on PS4".
I honestly do not understand why people think they are even remotely the same situation. Hell there is a reason why Microsoft decided to come up with some cool new term the next years Like World Premiere Launch Exclusive etc..

Oct 26, 2017
People seriously expect Square Enix to say: "Oh yes, FF7R is coming on Xbox One and PC in 2021", guys come on lol

Not even Activision said that for Crash, of course if they have a deal now, they won't talk about other platforms, and SE is not reliable with "exclusive games" at all.
Octopath was supposed to be a NSW exclusive, Dissidia NT was supposed to be PS4-only and there were no plans for FF XV on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Rise of the Tomb Raider when announced was claimed to be "Exclusive". Nowhere was it ever mentioned timed or at launch only etc. It took them a whole 24 hours to finally explain it was indeed timed.
  2. When FF7R was revealed it specifically stated "First on PS4".
I honestly do not understand why people think they are even remotely the same situation. Hell there is a reason why Microsoft decided to come up with some cool new term the next years Like World Premiere Launch Exclusive etc..

It doesn't have to be 1:1 dude. In both instances companies are being purposely shady but there only seems to be outrage in 1 case.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows, three episodes is just a common assumption.

The whole episode thing is a mess as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. I was already meh on it when it was first announced. Now episode 1 being JUST the prologue of the story means we're going to be dealing with this shit for fifteen years. It's gonna take multiple console generations to finish this remake, if they ever even do.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
... I kinda feel like saying first on PS4 is far better than those situations.
It is, as if you are not disingenuous the obvious meaning of "Coming first on PS4" is a temp exclusive, probably 6m to a year, earlier if lucky.

What riled people up with SotTR wasn't that the Temporary length wasn't spelled out (everybody assumed 6m to a year), but that the initial phrasing was

"Coming Exclusively to Xbox One, Holiday 2015", and from there they (MS or CD) refused to acknowledge whether it was really exclusive or temporary for days, repeating the same stuff or "no comment beyond that".
That was shady as fuck, and the blowback was fully justified.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Don't get me wrong here I think timed exclusivity for full games is total BS and nonsensical. Same for timed dlc, but at least those are negligable.

I do think it is ambiguous as hell.
However this Rise of the Tomb Raider example is flawed as hell.

The first Tomb Raider reboot cultivated fans. Microsoft snatches the sequel! Acts shady and only 24 hours later after backlash they explain themselves.

FF7 has no former game that really cultivated a fanbase on the same scale on Xbox or PC as opposed to TR on all platforms. FF7 always had more of a home on Playstation regardless.

Sure it is still salty they wouldn't just go multi plat from the get go, but the TR situation is totally different imho..

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's not a lie.
"There's no plan" because it's already in the making so no need to plan anything anymore.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
It is, as if you are not disingenuous the obvious meaning of "Coming first on PS4" is a temp exclusive, probably 6m to a year, earlier if lucky.

What riled people up with SotTR wasn't that the Temporary length wasn't spelled out (everybody assumed 6m to a year), but that the initial phrasing was

"Coming Exclusively to Xbox One, Holiday 2015", and from there they (MS or CD) refused to acknowledge whether it was really exclusive or temporary for days, repeating the same stuff or "no comment beyond that".
That was shady as fuck, and the blowback was fully justified.
Exactly!! 100% facts.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not legally allowed to say publicly, just like most timed exclusive deals.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
What is in fact interesting, is that the trailers no longer say "First on PS4". They simply say PS4 now - also, SE has gotten a lot more ambiguous in their answers where the game is concerned. I think PC is a given eventually, given how large the PC gaming market is in Asia, but I wouldn't expect anything soon.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is how they're going to get people to double and triple dip. it's Square Enix.

What people? The small chunk of enthusiasts that buy the same product more than once?

We also don't know the extent of PS5 BC capabilities yet; if there are built in enhancements via updates like One X there wouldn't be a need for another release.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What people? The small chunk of enthusiasts that buy the same product more than once?
Yeah. Today, they're known as double-dippers.
In my day, we called those people 'fans of Square Enix's games'.
but for real, I don't think double-dipping is that rare, or at least, it's not a negligable part of a multiplat's sales spread whenever the PC version releases weeks-to-months later than the console version.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
What is in fact interesting, is that the trailers no longer say "First on PS4". They simply say PS4 now - also, SE has gotten a lot more ambiguous in their answers where the game is concerned. I think PC is a given eventually, given how large the PC gaming market is in Asia, but I wouldn't expect anything soon.

To add to that on PSN the game has a Playstation Exclusive label, Days Gone has that label as well but for some reason Death Stranding does not. Sony is very inconsistent with labeling stuff so it could be that, they also could really got this locked down while unlikely the possibility is there with this label being in place.

I personally think the game will come to PC and next gen Xbox in the future but not to Xbone.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that they lie like this. That they have nothing to announce would be more truthful. To say they don't have any plans or even thoughts is clearly a lie. The original announcements was "First on PS4". Everything else Square Enix has done has been on Xbox One and/or PC.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

I mean, aside from warriors being disingenuous, we already know it's coming to Xbox eventually, for a *multitude* of reasons. Sony obviously has a hand in the recent increase of ambiguity as it benefits them, the same way they removed the Steam logo in a trailer before NieR:Automata dropped, the Crash Bandicoot twitter fiasco and the whole FFX PC fiasco, to name a few.

I'd be surprised if exclusivity even lasts a year. I feel like Sony, with their nextgen strategy which sounds very much like increased moneyhats galore, is advocating behind the scenes to change this, though. Although, Square did publicly state wanting FF everywhere recently, but who knows.

To add to that on PSN the game has a Playstation Exclusive label, Days Gone has that label as well but for some reason Death Stranding does not. Sony is very inconsistent with labeling stuff so it could be that

I still remember when they had the exclusive section on the PS store with a plethora of indies that were timed exclusive but weren't exclusive anymore, and it took forever for them to fix that. Sony really cares about their perceived exclusivity even when it isn't exclusive.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

This is so obviously untrue given the previous messaging, lol.

There will be a PS5 port. And I find it hard to believe there won't be an Xbox port as well.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure SE cares about other platforms in this case. Over 90% of the sales will come from PS4/5 so they have no incentive to plan for it until much later if at all.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Translation: We're contractually obligated not to announce this thing for other platforms before a certain time after this thing releases on PS4.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

They published Nioh so that was obvious. They also didn't made a deal for Nier: Automata, it was on Square.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, why would Sony market for other platforms? Some of you are so desperate for a RoTTR situation, that you make no sense. Sony said it's first on PlayStation, that's perfectly clear, they don't owe anything more then that.

RoTTR was also different because they announced the game without any platform first, before declaring that it is only for the exclusively for the Xbox.

"No plans" could really mean no plans. Like how PC porting was only started for XV after the console versions were completed. If they're contractually to remain exclusive for a time period, Sony also probably had a clause to state that they can only talk about the PS4 version. If they were to come out and say "yes it will eventually appear elsewhere" then it will be a breach...

I still don't get why exclusivity has suddenly become like a dirty word these days. What's wrong with every platform having exclusive games?