• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
They published Nioh so that was obvious. They also didn't made a deal for Nier: Automata, it was on Square.
Explain why the launch trailer and marketing stuff of nier had its steam logo removed after a few hours and why the release date for pc wasn't known prior to a few hours before releasing then.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? FF7 is a million seller on steam, and it only released in 2013 there.

SE definitely have their priorities planned for this game and their actions say "preorder this game on PS4 if you want to play it next March". 1 million is no small number but if I were them I'd prioritize the same way, just focus on PS4 now.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Sony is massively involved in this?

ezgif-4-ceb26176d7c1p2knb.gif

Jan 17, 2019
Well it's impossible to make a one-side deal.

But in the case of Nier they never said it was "first on PS4" like FF7.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nier flat out was said to be a money thing. Thus why they picked PS4 & PC and then it came later.

Thing is Sony never said for Nier that it's exclusive for PS4. Square did :

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get all the speculation........It's a SE Final fantasy game. At some point it's gonna be on everything.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
1. the absolute certainty with which people are speaking on stuff is hilar
2. the clinging to words from 4 years ago versus what is being portrayed now is interesting to say the least

we can't do anything but wait and see. what's the point of arguing over conjecture & assumptions

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Today, they're known as double-dippers.
In my day, we called those people 'fans of Square Enix's games'.
but for real, I don't think double-dipping is that rare, or at least, it's not a negligable part of a multiplat's sales spread whenever the PC version releases weeks-to-months later than the console version.

PC in 2019 is a huge market in itself, though. And of course there are going to be millions out there that never intend to own a Playstation but want to play the game. That's the real target pool for Square Enix long-term. If anything the double dippers are more inclined to wait for a sale or already sold their original copy second-hand, at least that's what I used to do before switching to mostly digital this generation.

I honestly don't know anyone in real life that buys the same game twice. I'm not denying they exist, but this place is a bubble, and realistically the average consumer has the mentality that they already bought something once...so why buy it again?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Is trying to figure out how much this might sell on the Xbox/PC to justify how Square Enix could be making a mistake of some kind, the new "Spider-Man would have been the same and sold a lot more as a multiplatform game"??

It's foolish to get your hopes up based on obvious mistakes like this, with PS4 exclusives of this magnitude. It was announced as "first on PS4" but market conditions change, publisher relationships adapt and change, plans change. We know Sony is focusing hard on strengthening their relationships with third-party publishers. It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the first steps in that direction.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Is trying to figure out how much this might sell on the Xbox/PC to justify how Square Enix could be making a mistake of some kind, the new "Spider-Man would have been the same and sold a lot more as a multiplatform game"??

It's foolish to get your hopes up based on obvious mistakes like this, with PS4 exclusives of this magnitude. It was announced as "first on PS4" but market conditions change, publisher relationships adapt and change, plans change. We know Sony is focusing hard on strengthening their relationships with third-party publishers. It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the first steps in that direction.

Spiderman wouldn't be the same game because Sony helped the development.

And the deal with FF7 is unknown and was made ages ago, it's not a new thing.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Id wager $$ that before the launch of the 2nd part it will come to other consoles/PC. Too much $$ out there to NOT do that.

This way they can get that sweet double dip

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
It's probably true. Once they release the full game, the complete edition will be released on Xbox and PC. The current partial game may be Playstation exclusive.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
'We have no plans to bring an Unreal 4 adaptation of Final Fantasy VII to any other platforms'

lmao okay Square, sure, uh huh. Anyone who actually believes that: I have a bridge to sell you.

Even the E3 2015 trailer said "play it FIRST on PS4", so we've known literally since the reveal over four years ago that there were plans for other platforms. But Square's gotta get as many double-dippers as possible, I guess, even if it means outright BSing in a press release.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao yeah because they would totally confirm other versions in a random interview. This shit will be on a xbox press conference stage probably if it does eventually happen

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
The only recent SE title I think that is exclusive to PS is DQ Builder.

Edit: That's even not true, it's on Switch also.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
'We have no plans to bring an Unreal 4 adaptation of Final Fantasy VII to any other platforms'

lmao okay Square, sure, uh huh. Anyone who actually believes that: I have a bridge to sell you.

Even the E3 2015 trailer said "play it FIRST on PS4", so we've known literally since the reveal over four years ago that there were plans for other platforms. But Square's gotta get as many double-dippers as possible, I guess, even if it means outright BSing in a press release.

Yeah, but that was 4 years ago. Things can change a lot in 4 years.

Nov 2, 2017
I do not want to play this on my launch PS4, and I'm not getting a pro to play this at decent performance, especially when I have a perfectly capable X1X

Unless Sony is actually fronting development costs, I'm forced to assume this is just standard SE stupidity. Or trying to milk the fans even harder

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not want to play this on my launch PS4, and I'm not getting a pro to play this at decent performance, especially when I have a perfectly capable X1X

Unless Sony is actually fronting development costs, I'm forced to assume this is just standard SE stupidity. Or trying to milk the fans even harder

Time to ask MS to spend the dough in the war chest and get this game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Yeah, but that was 4 years ago. Things can change a lot in 4 years.
Indeed, they could've made plans to put the game on 5+ platforms instead of the 2-3 they were originally targeting :P

Snark aside: yes, I know things change, but consider the constants here as well: Final Fantasy VII is still an enormously popular IP after all these years, and that's not likely to change in the near future. There's absolutely zero chance the remake is going to just stay on PS4; that would be nuts, especially with how port-heavy Square has become recently. Maybe FF7-R's PS4 exclusivity will last for a year, or six months, etc., but once that's up, Square's going to make moves, no question. This is a remake of their biggest (non-mobile) golden goose, and on an engine that makes it easy to port. By mid-2021, it's going to be on just about everything that can run it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
First, I hate timed exclusivity for games that will and should hit all platforms.

Second, Xbox Germany made a mistake.

Third, Square's reaction is total bullshit. "There are no plan for other platforms" sounds like the game is an exclusive. But then it says "play it first on PS4" for which we exactly know the meaning, just not the time length.

Fourth, we need to call out those type of deals more regularly, from all sides.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Third, Square's reaction is total bullshit. "There are no plan for other platforms" sounds like the game is an exclusive. But then it says "play it first on PS4" for which we exactly know the meaning, just not the time length.
What if it is now?

There are many scenarios available now that we know that the game is going to be multi-part.