• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
delistedgames.com

Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, more Vita titles lose online features Dec 24th

Sony Japan just updated their Online Service Information page on November 19th, announcing the end of online multiplayer and services for a handful of Vita titles and one long-standing PlayStation …

This news has been announced by Sony Japan. It's possible that this applies to America and Europe too.

They are wonderful games to play in co-op. If you were still planning on playing them or earning some online trophies, then you have less than a month to get things done. I myself still need to grind for 33k slayer points with Soul Sacrifice Delta. A month is not a lot of time for this. I'm open to play with others to grind for the points in Alice dungeons.

Once again Sony disappoints. I'm too tired to say more for the time being.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh

These games still have players and I very much doubt they cost much...

This sucks. At least port them to PS4/5 before doing this...

Hopefully the modding community create fan servers.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Lasted longer than Gravity Rush 2's servers, must be all those screenshot sharing or something. Also hoping fans can work something out by themselves.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
bruh. why is sony like this? keeping them online costs them close to nothing but it always paints a pretty picture for the company.

Dec 23, 2017
Man, I feel bad for the people who still play Soul Sacrifice Delta online. GaijinHunter isn't gonna like this at all.

Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars deserve better.

Thanks Sony for the Christmas gift. /s

Last edited:

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Awww man. Loved Freedom Wars. Was convinced a PS4 version was coming to give it a second chance at life but alas...

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Always a disappointment. Soul Sacrifice had a resurgence this past year, few months even, and of course that's when the servers start to go down.

It's increasingly disappointing how much communities are pressured into making their own solutions for non-problems made problems. Huge bummer.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
At least they waited until the console had been dead for a few years with this one. Can't say the same for Driveclub (+VR), Gravity Rush 2 and The Tomorrow Children from the top of my head.

Had a lot of fun with Soul Sacrifice online. Freedom Wars was wasted potential though and would have needed expansions and a sequel to make it something great. It was unbalanced, barebones in terms of enemy variety and had an unfinished story.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awwww. SS Delta is my favorite MH-like after World. At least it can still be played offline. It should absolutely be ported to other systems.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Only played a bit of Freedom Wars, and never got around to trying it online. It was good what little I did get, and the premise was neat.

I know it's not as easy as a flip switch, but I almost wish that when dedicated servers go off that something like peer-to-peer can be established to pick up the slack. Know it's not ideal but would be something.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Such a waste of good IP's forgotten due to the system it launched on. Freedom Wars, I'll miss you, my only regret was not getting the platinum.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I'm trying to knock out any Vita games in my backlog that have online trophies first.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Freedom Wars is great, played and beat it in 2018 with a few people on Era lending a hand

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
honestly surprised Sony hasn't made an emulator for psp and vita games
They do have a PSP emulator for PS4, actually; but you wouldn't know because as far as i'm aware the only titles that use it are the PaRappa the Rapper, Patapon and Locoroco "Remasters"; and seemingly the Castlevania Requiem collection (hence why it remains PS-exclusive).

The sad truth is that if they still can't justify PS1 classics on PS4/PS5, there's definitely no hope for getting as far as Vita, let alone PSP.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Freedom wars was my favorite Vita game.

Amazing character creator for anime style MC. Unique story. And stylish visuals. The gameplay is more action slash/shooter than MH style gameplay and that's why I loved it. That grapple hook was godlike too. You could select from 3 different types.

When you got good it was like attack on Titan before AoT was really a thing. Just grappling around and sticking to bosses/enemies like glue haha.

All they needed was a larger end game for DLC and I'd still be playing today. They should really continue with this franchise seriously. It was near perfect even with its shoestring budget.

"Creamy Screamy Jr."

OP
OP
RpgN

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's why I'm trying to knock out any Vita games in my backlog that have online trophies first.

I've been at it since April, ever since Sony announced closing the stores (and then backtracking). I had no trust in them but I kept delaying delta because I was busy with SS1 and other online games. They screwed things for me with LittleBigPlanet too. Anyway, I've gotten most trophies but still have 8 games and possibly buy 5 more that have online trophies.

Dec 23, 2017
Last edited:

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Always told myself I would get round to SS and Freedom Wars at some point. How much content is locked behind online stuff? Is it like MH where you can do it solo but it's harder?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game too but feels different in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. I guess it's a bit closer to God Eater games. It makes sense since they're made by the same developer I think.
I have the God Eater trilogy but alas haven't played them yet. Going to start the first with a friend soon as our next co-op game.

Would have liked a PS4 port of Freedom Wars like GE got.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
daaaaamn will have to do some soul sacrifice and freedom wars online trophy cleanup if any

Man, I feel bad for the people who still play Soul Sacrifice Delta online. GaijinHunter isn't gonna like this at all.

Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars deserve better.

Thanks Sony for the Christmas gift. /s

Funny you mentioned Gaijin he's going to be drinking monster punching dry wall and crying into his pillow lol I loved the podcast where they were convincing Arekkz to join the delta hunt

if you have access to a vita play it people!

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Look at those wasted IPs.

Their own Monster Hunters but not even PS4 port let alone sequel.

🤷🙄

OP
OP
RpgN

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Really short notice too, seriously wtf Sony.

Yeah, I would have liked more time. 3 months at minimum would have been great. But hey, at least we have about a month. It's better than the crap they pulled with LittleBigPlanet. They turned the server off for half a year, then announce to close it for good while it's still offline. We never got the chance to do anything the moment they took it off half a year ago.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
:/

I'm pretty sure they could re-release Freedom Wars on PS4, PS5 and PC with cross-play and it would have a decent playerbase. But instead the online features (which are the meat of the game) are lost forever, way too soon. Sigh

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I wish these game companies would release online server kits for their games after the official servers go offline

Fans are passionate enough to run their own communities, it shouldn't be limited to games that get reverse engineered.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see Soul Sacrifice updated/remade for PS5 and released again. Would play that shit

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
CaringAdmiredHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Soul Sacrifice really needs a remaster :(

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Massive shame Freedom Wars never made a sequel jump to PS4, it's too good to fade away like this.

OP
OP
RpgN

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wish these game companies would release online server kits for their games after the official servers go offline

Fans are passionate enough to run their own communities, it shouldn't be limited to games that get reverse engineered.

I guess they would never do this because then they'd lose control. Like if they think it's time to move on to the next game but people are still playing an old game.

I don't like this and I wish there was a better future for SS and FW. They really do deserve better.

Dec 23, 2017
Not long now... :(

If you're still playing Freedom Wars, get that assistance for the Retribution missions. They are solo-able, but you need some good weapons.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Can you theoretically run those games on unofficial servers like MMOs?

Theoretically yes, but it takes a lot of work in order to do so and it becomes much more difficult when the official online service goes down since at that point you're pretty much blind in trying to figure out how things work unless you've already collected a lot of traffic to analyze before hand. It's not something I would expect.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Always told myself I would get round to SS and Freedom Wars at some point. How much content is locked behind online stuff? Is it like MH where you can do it solo but it's harder?
100% of the content in Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice Delta is available offline but some of the extremely late game stuff will be playable offline. For Freedom Wars you'll have everything except the pretty rad PvP modes. Still able to get all trophies and see all the other content.