• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018

image0.jpg

Google Translate
It really is a common M.2 Nvme of PC that is inside the Xbox X series, took a screw and it is in your hand, I believe it is a more expensive option than the one soldered directly on the board but it will help a lot in future maintenance or maybe expansion to a bigger M.2!

This should help a lot with self Repair and maintenance and such

So XSX technically has best of both worlds scenario here if MS allows to upgrade this
Only downside is that you'll lose the 1TB when you upgrade as it's a replacement

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah, the tradition of MS hard drives being user replaceable even though they didn't want it to be continues!

I'm sure those Seagate expansions will be cracked open soon enough too and also 3rd party shells will come.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think there's higher capacity NVME drives commercially available in those dimensions, especially any with the rated speeds for the SX.

II wonder if an adapter would allow someone to slot in a 2TB or 4TB drive in there and have it work.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thread title implies this is a standard drive you can just buy from a retailer but you can't.
Also Microsoft uses 2230 m2 drives in their Surface devices, too.
It's definitely great that it's easily replaceable though!

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Amazon and Newegg are selling the 512GB version (can't find a 1TB version) of that drive for $145. Hot damn that's expensive!

Can't find anyone selling the SN530 1TB model online, actually.

Last edited:

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
This is good news to those that don't want to buy the proprietary expansion cards. Unless it doesn't work due to some built-in feature that won't allow to clone the original one or install a fresh OS. How did users expand the internal drive on XBO?

Then again, this is not surprising. Microsoft didn't do much in terms of customizing the internals, meaning a higher manufacturing cost in the long run. That said, they spent a lot on the main components: CPU, GPU, vapor chamber and also off-the-shelf 1TB SSD. On two separate boards, no less.

Pretty sure this voids the warranty
If there are "WARRANTY VOID" stickers you have to remove beforehand, sure. But if you're replacing it after it's no longer covered, that's great.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Is that the same drive, what are the specs?

If you look close, it looks like it says SN520 SN530 which is what Western Digital has on their website that is also in M.2 2230 size

The specs on the WD site says read/write is 1700/1400 MB/s respectively though, which is way below 2400 MB/s inside the Series X|S

EDIT: My mistake, it looks like the SN530 which has read/write speeds of 2400/1950 MB/s

www.westerndigital.com

PC SN530 NVMe SSD | Western Digital

The Western Digital PC SN530 NVMe™ SSD is designed for a multitude of applications that require both high performance and low power. The device is not only capable of more than three times the read speed over SATA SSDs, but further optimizes the low power consumption level to a mere 5mW...

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
This is good news to those that don't want to buy the proprietary expansion cards. Unless it doesn't work due to some built-in feature that won't allow to clone the original one or install a fresh OS. How did users expand the internal drive on XBO?

Then again, this is not surprising. Microsoft didn't do much in terms of customizing the internals, meaning a higher manufacturing cost in the long run. That said, they spent a lot on the main components: CPU, GPU, vapor chamber and also off-the-shelf 1TB SSD. On two separate boards, no less.

If there are "WARRANTY VOID" stickers you have to remove beforehand, sure. But if you're replacing it after it's no longer covered, that's great.
Yeah it would be great especially if the SSD happened to fail

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020

I've heard the "warranty void" stickers aren't legally binding in most places.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this voids the warranty
Not in the US, in the US you are allowed to replace any part of any device with another part without voiding your warranty, even if the replacement part is made by another company. Stickers saying opening the case voids the warranty are lying and the Federal Trade Commission has sent letters to various companies telling them to remove those stickers.

"Provisions that tie warranty coverage to the use of particular products or services harm both consumers who pay more for them as well as the small businesses who offer competing products and services," Thomas B. Pahl, Acting Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection said in a statement. "
www.ftc.gov

FTC Staff Warns Companies that It Is Illegal to Condition Warranty Coverage on the Use of Specified Parts or Services

The Federal Trade Commission staff has sent warning letters to six major companies that market and sell automobiles, cellular devices, and video gaming systems in the United States.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you look close, it looks like it says SN520 which is what Western Digital has on their website that is also in M.2 2230 size

The specs on the WD site says read/write is 1700/1400 MB/s respectively though, which is way below 2400 MB/s inside the Series X|S

www.westerndigital.com

Internal SSD & HDD Hard Drives from 250 GB to 18 TB | Western Digital Store

Shop a wide selection of high-capacity, ultra-fast internal SSD (solid state drives) & HDD (hard disk drives) drives. FREE & FAST shipping!
I tried to look closely and read SN530 which, going by its specs, seems to be the actual model
www.westerndigital.com

The Western Digital PC SN530 NVMe™ SSD is designed for a multitude of applications that require both high performance and low power. The device is not only capable of more than three times the read speed over SATA SSDs, but further optimizes the low power consumption level to a mere 5mW...

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I tried to look closely and read SN530 which, going by its specs, seems to be the actual model
www.westerndigital.com

Yep I caught that earlier and edited my post!

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
www.westerndigital.com

It's a CH variant so probably OEM to some extent.

It certainly would be something else if it accepts any other SSD that fits and it benefits from even higher read/write speeds. Can't wait.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Not in the US, in the US you are allowed to replace any part of any device with another part without voiding your warranty, even if the replacement part is made by another company. Stickers saying opening the case voids the warranty are lying and the Federal Trade Commission has sent letters to various companies telling them to remove those stickers.

"Provisions that tie warranty coverage to the use of particular products or services harm both consumers who pay more for them as well as the small businesses who offer competing products and services," Thomas B. Pahl, Acting Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection said in a statement. "
www.ftc.gov

FTC Staff Warns Companies that It Is Illegal to Condition Warranty Coverage on the Use of Specified Parts or Services

The Federal Trade Commission staff has sent warning letters to six major companies that market and sell automobiles, cellular devices, and video gaming systems in the United States.
You cannot void warranty for this in the US.
www.npr.org

'Warranty Void If Removed'? As It Turns Out, Feds Say Those Warnings Are Illegal

The Federal Trade Commission says tying warranties to the use of specific parts or services is prohibited. And the agency has told six companies they have 30 days to fix their ways or face penalties.
Thanks that's good to know

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they say custom-built SSD in their marketing? (Obviously not on the level of PS5, but...)
It could very well be a firmware/controller customization which would go in line with that Sony did with their SSD controller. This does not mean there are no further customizations, mind, especially for PS5.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
If you look close, it looks like it says SN520 SN530 which is what Western Digital has on their website that is also in M.2 2230 size

EDIT: My mistake, it looks like the SN530 which has read/write speeds of 2400/1950 MB/s

www.westerndigital.com

upto.PNG

Looks like its a PCIe Gen3 drive from the specs from this site

Last edited:

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Even back in the original Xbox days it was a standard HDD, nothing special at all. Except they had locked it down with some sort of key IIRC, so if you put in a different drive that wasn't "locked" to the Xbox it wouldn't boot.

Will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even back in the original Xbox days it was a standard HDD, nothing special at all. Except they had locked it down with some sort of key IIRC, so if you put in a different drive that wasn't "locked" to the Xbox it wouldn't boot.

Will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
This does not mean that this is nothing special, it could just be derived from this. Again, Microsoft could have done customization to the controller firmware. By the way, I think Sony is also using standard flash chips, the magic is firmware and controller.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah I think it was clear that the Xbox Series were using basically off the shelf SSDs. The difference comes from the customizations to the controller or rather the firmware/software implementation which they call the velocity architecture.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
So a single NAND chip and no DRAM cache, Microsoft will be getting these very cheap, it's a smart decision. They can get the vast majority of the benefit of the PS5's SSD but can cut down on costs.

I'm excited for the prospect of an adapter to standard 2280 M2 for the external expansion port. The hardware is clearly very generic by design (which means they're not beholden to one supplier) but that increases the chance of third party solutions being available.

Someone needs to transfer the 1TB Series X drive to the Series S to see if it boots without issue.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
This does not mean that this is nothing special, it could just be derived from this. Again, Microsoft could have done customization to the controller firmware. By the way, I think Sony is also using standard flash chips, the magic is firmware and controller.
Sure, absolutely agree with everything you said.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So a single NAND chip and no DRAM cache, Microsoft will be getting these very cheap, it's a smart decision. They can get the vast majority of the benefit of the PS5's SSD but can cut down on costs.

I'm excited for the prospect of an adapter to standard 2280 M2 for the external expansion port. The hardware is clearly very generic by design (which means they're not beholden to one supplier) but that increases the chance of third party solutions being available.

Someone needs to transfer the 1TB Series X drive to the Series S to see if it boots without issue.

Thats an interesting point - is the CF Express moddable to take a standard M2 drive? They'd be like half the price and as the official one sticks out anyway, I'd be fine with a 2280 sticking out a bit further to save £100

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
It may be customised to use 2xPCIe 4.0 lanes instead of 4xPCIe 3.0 lanes. They both deliver the same equivalent bandwidth so there's no practical difference in performance and they're may even be a cost saving there for Microsoft.
yeah and MS can easily switch to a PCIe 4.0 drive once their price reduces below PCIe 3.0 ones

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
This is great. Even if at the moment they can't be directly swapped out, someone in the future will come up with an app to assist with replacements.

Unlike the PS5 which is soldered to the board.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

This is interesting.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sure it's not as simple as this implies but I look forward to people tinkering with different drives on YouTube.

Being a swappable component at least means it will be super cheap for Microsoft to offer 2TB versions is their console. Sony on the other hand will have to change their fab process some what.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the internal drive is WD, though admittedly I've never used their SSDs before.
I don't know, maybe Seagate makes a fine SSD as well but I've burned by their HDDs past.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

www.ftc.gov

Was gonna post this, thank you.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could very well be a firmware/controller customization which would go in line with that Sony did with their SSD controller. This does not mean there are no further customizations, mind, especially for PS5.

yeah i figured the customization is on the controller

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The xbox one's internal hardrive wasn't user replaceable for the first couple of years and only became possible with user created tools. So it being replaceable may not be useful if Microsoft block it again.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The xbox one's internal hardrive wasn't user replaceable for the first couple of years and only became possible with user created tools. So it being replaceable may not be useful if Microsoft block it again.
The reason was not Microsoft blocking it but people had to find out how the layout is and it didn't take that long IIRC for solutions to come up.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm sure there will be some weird adapter thingies for external SSDs coming at some point. Until then, I can wait :)

I will not open my Series X for at least 2 years anyway

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK