• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will be a lot of misinformation flying around on social media because the guy was yelling "Allah Akbar"- please don't repeat this misinformation until the police have had time to investigate it. A Couple of things regarding misinformation and confirmed facts:

1. NSW Police have confirmed that the man was known to them and had known mental health issues. He was apparently known to be carrying around material on mass shootings, and was found with a USB in his pocket, but no word yet on the contents.

2. There are unconfirmed reports suggesting he was actually a mental patient until a few days ago.

3. NSW Police are not treating this as a terror incident. The person was not on any terror watch lists.

4. The man was caught on video shouting "Allah Akbar" but it is unclear whether he was Muslim. He was also caught on video shouting "Shoot me" so there is some suggestion he might have just been yelling that to incite the police to shoot him.

Please remember - it was only a few years ago that we actually did have a lone wolf terrorist attack in the city by someone who was indeed yelling "Allah Akbar", so if the NSW police say this incident has nothing to do with terrorism then I believe them.

One other thing - while this event is absolutely awful, and a woman is dead, to me this is an example of gun control in action. In America this guy would almost certainly have been able to obtain a firearm in some states. In Australia, given his mental history and monitoring by the police, he would have been ruled out immediately by any background check. Because he didn't have a firearm, some good samaritans were able to overpower him with some chairs and milk crates.

It's a lot easy to be a "good guy" when you don't have to have a gun.
The Project just reported that he may have white supremacist links. So the allahu akbar thing makes sense if he wants to cause trouble and more hatred.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
What. Guy did nothing wrong other than get worked up having watched a random stabbing.
Bogan bystander was alright lol.
I can absolutely empathise with what the bloke was presumably feeling, and totally understand his reaction; I imagine inwardly, many of those involved in pinning the assailant down felt the same. But the way he responded to that crisis could seriously have done more harm than good, and you could tell his presence was genuinely unwanted by all those telling him to "stop" and "back-off". Some of them even had to remove a hand from restraining the attacker to ward the bogan back - what if the attacker had broken free in that moment and hurt someone?

My concern isn't about protecting the attacker. It's about bystanders with 'hero complexes' endangering others by adding to the chaos.

Oct 26, 2017
I can absolutely empathise with what the bloke was presumably feeling, and totally understand his reaction; I imagine inwardly, many of those involved in pinning the assailant down felt the same. But the way he responded to that crisis could seriously have done more harm than good, and you could tell his presence was genuinely unwanted by all those telling him to "stop" and "back-off". Some of them even had to remove a hand from restraining the attacker to ward the bogan back - what if the attacker had broken free in that moment and hurt someone?

My concern isn't about protecting the attacker. It's about bystanders with 'hero complexes' endangering others by adding to the chaos.

Dude give it a rest. He may have been slightly too aggressive but that's human and the fact is this is why you don't want good people with guns roaming the streets either. He caused no harm.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
If there was an award for most practical use of a milk crate, that guy should win.

Apparently the guy killed another woman in a nearby hotel before the stabbing on the street.

Where are you getting this from? I can't make out what he's shouting.

The video in the OP unless that's some else shouting

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying that we shouldn't make fun of a guy who stabbed a bunch of people and proceeded to get dunked by a milk crate and two chairs? I'd say he's the kind of pathetic person we should be memeing about. In no way are we memeing about the victims mate, you should let people have a bit of fun at the expense of bad human beings, IMHO.

You can try and make a meme like the last poster made in the wake of a death and see how far that gets you here

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Our attitudes and behaviour don't often match. It is hard to say how any of us would react to a situation like this. What I really doubt is he ran in thinking he was a hero. I doubt he was thinking about much at all, he probably couldn't think about much at all.

The victim who passed away was allegedly a 21 year old sex worker. RIP. I hope today's other victims can recover wholly.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if you're gonna do something like this at least direct yourself toward Mexican cartels or terrorist strongholds or something

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Dude give it a rest. He may have been slightly too aggressive but that's human and the fact is this is why you don't want good people with guns roaming the streets either. He caused no harm.
Our attitudes and behaviour don't often match. It is hard to say how any of us would react to a situation like this. What I really doubt is he ran in thinking he was a hero. I doubt he was thinking about much at all, he probably couldn't think about much at all.
Again, I wholly understand his response and it's not a rare one among people. In my work I've dealt with individuals like this regularly, and have also experienced firsthand how things can go severely south when individuals idiotically intervene, much in the manner of how this man was here.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it - the real villain of the story was caught. But this man's reaction is something I take huge personal issue with, due to personal anecdotes.

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I wholly understand his response and it's not a rare one among people. In my work I've dealt with individuals like this regularly, and have also experienced firsthand how things can go severely south when individuals idiotically intervene, much in the manner of how this man was here.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it - the real villain of the story was caught. But this man's reaction is something I take huge personal issue with, due to personal anecdotes.

It's good that your argument is based on experience, that definitely gives it more merit.

However the video doesn't show us how the stabber was actually subdued, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a certain level of aggression was warranted in order to do that, considering he was armed with a knife and had demonstrated he could use it lethally and they were armed with a chair and plastic crate.

They were still short of breath speaking on camera so until further evidence shows up I'm going to assume the video was taken just as they managed to get him under control. Hormone levels are obviously still high at this point. They asked him to stop and within seconds he did.

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible to see, thank you to those people that stepped in and stopped this piece of shit. It looks like one person lost their life going by that article, RIP.

Tomato

Jun 8, 2019
Happy to hear he was caught. Truly terrible a woman was killed.

Those men who stopped him are incredibly brave and I can't blame that one man for being so angry, I would feel the same after watching a murder I'm sure.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It's good that your argument is based on experience, that definitely gives it more merit.

However the video doesn't show us how the stabber was actually subdued, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a certain level of aggression was warranted in order to do that, considering he was armed with a knife and had demonstrated he could use it lethally and they were armed with a chair and plastic crate.

They were still short of breath speaking on camera so until further evidence shows up I'm going to assume the video was taken just as they managed to get him under control. Hormone levels are obviously still high at this point. They asked him to stop and within seconds he did.
I wasn't looking for merit or to win an argument, I was explaining why I feel as I do. But keep fighting the good fight.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Happy to hear he was caught. Truly terrible a woman was killed.

Those men who stopped him are incredibly brave and I can't blame that one man for being so angry, I would feel the same after watching a murder I'm sure.

I don't believe he witnessed the murder. The murder took place at a residential property. It seems like he murdered a sex worker (who is currently unidentified), left and started attacking people on the street. Although, I assume they believe they witnessed a murder or at the very least, an absolutely horrific scene. It might seem a weird thing to say, but the public who witnessed all of this and stopped him are victims too.

Nobody knows how we will react to situations like this. It is like in hostage situations where people flee, social media labels them cowards. None of those people know how they will respond to a situation like that. Nobody knows how they will respond to a situation like this. When shit hits the fan we aren't as in control as we like to think we are in high pressure, alien situations. I don't blame the guy at all, we don't know anything about him or his background. If he lost someone he loved to a violent crime or stabbing or anything else. For the sake of empathy I would hope people really don't rush to conclusions. Once the adrenaline of all this situation wears off, they will all have a lot to deal with and work through.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Call me a pearl-clutcher, but put me firmly in the camp of people that doesn't think it's that funny to churn out the memes immediately after a situation like this has occurred. A woman was stabbed to death.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. White supremacist shit on the usb he was carrying. I mean it was fairly obvious why he yelled allahu akbar and it was to stir shit up with conservatives but I wonder how much the media will report his real beliefs. I know the project already did but it hasn't got the best tv ratings.

Tomato

Jun 8, 2019
Yep. White supremacist shit on the usb he was carrying. I mean it was fairly obvious why he yelled allahu akbar and it was to stir shit up with conservatives but I wonder how much the media will report his real beliefs. I know the project already did but it hasn't got the best tv ratings.

The link you attached doesn't say he was a white supremacist at all. It mentions he was shouting allah akbar but has no connection to terrorism. And he had things relating to the attack in New Zealand on his usb.