• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

In talking with GamesIndustry.biz about the deal, Stadia Games & Entertainment head Jade Raymond says she was particularly impressed by Typhoon's ability to put together its debut title, Journey to the Savage Planet, in under three years with a modestly sized team of 26. Beyond its output, the studio also carries some impressive pedigree. Schneider was a senior producer on the original Splinter Cell and executive producer on Batman: Arkham Knight with plenty of AAA experience in between, while Hutchinson was a lead designer on The Sims 2 and Spore, as well as creative director on Assassin's Creed III and Far Cry 4.

"They've really assembled a AAA team, and the goal of acquiring the team is that it will really give us a head start in making the system-defining games everyone is waiting for," Raymond says. "This is a top AAA team of industry veterans who already have a great working relationship and were able to ship something quickly, and they have a lot of great ideas for the platform."

Typhoon is the first acquisition for Stadia as Raymond looks to build out the platform's first-party offerings, and it may not be the last.

"We definitely are looking into it," she says of the possibility of future acquisitions. "Right now, apart from this acquisition, we're really focused on also building teams through organic growth. With Typhoon joining, we're going to have two full teams up and running making games in Montreal. There are always pros and cons to acquisitions, and I think when you find the right culture and a really good fit like Typhoon is, it's a no-brainer. But we take this very seriously. We want to build for the long-term. Our whole strategy is a long-term one to make the right decisions."

The acquisition wars continue...Google has entered the arena.

Here's official statement: https://blog.google/products/stadia/typhoon-studios-joins-stadia-games-and-entertainment

Google said:
Working with some of the best game creators in the world, we've learned that a successful studio comes down to great people who have a vision to execute on the best ideas. We're always looking for people who share our passion and vision for the future of gaming, which is why I'm so excited that Typhoon Studios, the independent developers behind the upcoming Journey to the Savage Planet, is joining Stadia Games and Entertainment.

Under the leadership of its co-founders, Reid Schneider & Alex Hutchinson, Typhoon Studios has built an incredible team of industry veterans who are committed to the player experience. The Typhoon team will be joining our first Stadia Games and Entertainment studio that is based in Montreal and led by Sébastien Puel.

Typhoon Studios will continue to work on the launch of Journey to the Savage Planet for multiple platforms on January 28, 2020. Meanwhile, our priority will be on integrating the team from Typhoon Studios into Stadia Games and Entertainment. We're thrilled to welcome this incredibly talented team to the Google family!

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
AAA developer leaves Ubisoft to pursue his vision, then after not even one game goes back to big publisher.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'd call acquiring a game studio a month after launch getting "a head start" but I genuinely wish them the best.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Platform wars, history of similar behaviour
Oh God... now I am worried about all independrnt studios

I hope Microsoft and Sony buy all of them if it is to keep it away from Google

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Jade Raymond getting the old Ubi gang back together. Would be funny if Patrice gets scooped up next.

Also glad to see that Journey to the Savage Planet isn't going Stadia exclusive.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, hope it's worth the money.
Have fun in creating games nobody has access to anymore after a few years and games nobody will remember because of it.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to enter the market they have to do these sorta things. Everyone was sorta happy when MS made acquisitions. Lets all stay calm.
I was ok with those aquistitions because Xbox games still come to PC. Even Sony buying studios is not that bad as they have a local gaming option. I will cry an ocean the minute Google buys a studio I like because then all their future games will be cloud-only.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Should I have heard of them or that game thats coming out from them?

Those names really arent ringing any bells.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
There you go, I was expecting monster Google to act sooner by playing dirty buy exclusives and get some studios.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what do other companies do in this situation when someone with an infinitely large wallet wants to enter the market and do acquisitions? it just makes everyone want to grab what's up for grabbing, and that creates chaos.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Stadia is still around by the time they're ready to ship their next game? I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
ooof.

Now so now it's a 3-sided race?

As a PC gamer, I'm forced to wish Microsoft good luck.

Here's hoping as few studios get nabbed as possible though. Multi-plats are best for everyone.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
what do other companies do in this situation when someone with an infinitely large wallet wants to enter the market and do acquisitions? it just makes everyone want to grab what's up for grabbing, and that creates chaos.

if Google starts to become a threat, MS is going to go nuclear

imo

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I was ok with those aquistitions because Xbox games still come to PC. Even Sony buying studios is not that bad as they have a local gaming option. I will cry an ocean the minute Google buys a studio I like because then all their future games will be cloud-only.
*That you can also play on your PC. Sure you need internet. But lets be honest, you need internet for all of the games you have on Steam or EG or whatever. If Local play vs Cloud is the reason why you don't like these moves than you must not like exclusive titles either.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Not excited about the prospect of studios having to exclusively make cloud games.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of Stadia exclusives is so offputting to me tbh.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Will Stadia last the next 3 years (the quick turnaround development time Typhoon is talking about) before google just drops it? Especially with the new consoles coming out next year.

At least Typhoon will be able to make another game.....hopefully.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I'm curious about how this works out. Journey to the Savage Planet is a very cool game, I'm hoping Typhoon are treated well by Google. (I don't really have too many fears of them being mistreated, to be fair)

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, interesting but needed move on Googles part for first party content. There were rumors not too long ago about Microsoft eying Typhoon studios. They certainly will need more than this though. It must be a good time to be an independent developer lol. Microsoft, Sony, Google and even Amazon are swooping in time acquire talent.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha!

Those big Multinational Megacorps thought they could just buy their way into the industry during the 90 ans 00's, but somehow didn't consider that even larger Multinational Megacorps could do the exact same thing in the following decades.

Corporate Darwinism at work.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose this is only based on them making a Stadia-exclusive title, but I can imagine that Tequila Works might not be too far behind, if Google still plan to acquire anyway.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this is only based on them making a Stadia-exclusive title, but I can imagine that Tequila Works might not be too far behind, if Google still plan to acquire anyway.
i imagine tequila works isn't interested since they maintained the ownership of their stadia exclusive title, it's clear they want to port gylt to other platforms after the exclusivity window runs out.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, can't wait to see what they bring to the table for Stadia.