• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All that talk of the 10+ teraflops of processing power and they're stuck showing this stuff.. hmh

The intense stare on the presenter is the most memorable thing out of this.

Yup. Why even talk about 10 tflops of power if none of the games seemingly use it? If they do, show us and tell us how they are using it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I get this feeling like Google thinks there's not need to clarify what sets Stadia apart, as they think it's pretty clear: "You can play in any device". But for me, it's not enough for me to care, and certainly not enough to give up physical ownership as I can have in other consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
The messaging and presentation for this service is awful. They should get a new team and start over or something. It's like they watched old shitty E3 presentations and thought "we gotta be like that!"

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You Stadia believers think what you want but Stadia is going to pull a small wave at launch but as soon as NextBox and PS5 arrive Stadia is dead.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
These are all very traditional, iterative, console like experiences, mostly existing franchises. If you are appealing to someone who knows what Darksiders and Farming Simulator are, they already have a machine that can run those games! It would be interesting to see developers do something like the 1000 players on the same server tech, or something that clearly could not be run on a PS4 that Google boasted in earlier presentations.
The thing with the idea of many hundreds of players on the same server is that it then limits that experience to players connecting to the same server farm. That'll mean fragmenting friends lists and it also limits matchmaking. Building something that can only work on Stadia also means losing any chance of ever porting it to another non-cloud platform. That combination means that an only-possible-on-Stadia game is a big ask for developers on a new platform.

They really should show more of the features of stadia, like YouTube integration etc.
Absolutely yes. The more they don't, the more it feels like they haven't thought the monetisation part of that through yet.

red-dead-redemption-2_notizia.png

What the fuck was this all about, then?
I think those were nodding towards gaming - they could just have been Google saying "hey look we know what games are, here's some icons that our lawyers have told us don't legally infringe upon anything to prove that".

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get this feeling like Google thinks there's not need to clarify what sets Stadia apart, as they think it's pretty clear: "You can play in any device". But for me, it's not enough for me to care, and certainly not enough to give up physical ownership as I can have in other consoles.

That "played on any device" perk is going to be irrelevant as PS Remote Play and xCloud get expanded.

The only perk they have is you don't have to buy a console... I don't believe that perk is going to pull over any current console owners.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I 100% expect Stadia to crash and burn at launch. I hope xCloud will be okay after that.
Whether or not stadia is a success, I fully expect Google to abandon it in a few years.

Xcloud, if history is any indication, will be an awesome product that no one uses and eventually MS will be forced to shut it down. People will talk about how great it was for years after.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That was amazing, feels like nextgen starts a year earlier than expected. Cyberpunk was the highlight but I loved Darksiders Genesis as well, pleasantly surprised.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
At this rate, the messaging and business model will turn it into another product with a modest success that Google will take behind the shed after a few years.

I've said it before, but I don't think you can soft launch that kind of disruptive product. I assume this is a soft launch.
It feels like the goal was to be first out the door with a streaming platform that would be well-established by the time 5g makes mobile streaming feasible.

They're probably assuming people will buy on Stadia instead of another platform to take advantage of the multi-screen functionality, but currently only a sliver of the market is even able to use this stuff to full potiential.

By the time the infrastructure is there, Microsoft will have a better product with a better brand identity. With PlayStation not far behind. And if this stream is indicative of what they're bringing to the table - it's not really a fight.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I´m just gonna go ahead and call bullshit on cyberpunk 4k60 Max Settings.

We know the hardware on those slades/instances or whatever, and i ain´t buying it.

Was that stated somewhere? I don't see why it would be an expectation.

I'm sure it will target a 4K/60 output with the same compromises a console would. It's a SKU of the game designed with a certain amount of processing power in mind.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even Nina Struthers looked as crazy as the presenter. The whole Stadia conference was something like a Devolver joint but real

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
red-dead-redemption-2_notizia.png

What the fuck was this all about, then?
This evening during Gamescom Opening Night Live...

"We are thrilled to announce that on launch day, Stadia will have Red Dead..."

*audience cheers*

"... Revolver!"

*audience goes completely silent*

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely bizarre. Did they show any games at all that weren't already revealed during the last stadia connect? Didn't seem like it to me

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't make this thing less interesting if they announced boneless skinless chicken breast as a timed exclusive.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think exclusives matter to Stadia. What matters is --- does it work, is it easy, can they get people with a 'one click purchase and you're playing the game, no matter what' pitch -- yeah, sure, then people will play some AAA games on their service.

But what's the selling point then, if their competitors have services that work equally well? If Microsoft's or Sony's cloud services work as well as Stadia, why should you choose Stadia? The others already have more studios, more games and large ecosystems people are familiar with, used by friends and family. If this turns out to be even remotely similar to the streaming services in the movie industry (Netflix, HBO, Disney+ etc.), exclusive content is gonna be very important in drawing people in to one ecosystem, instead of another.

I don't get the selling point here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I need to pay for cap-free internet for 1080p? Do you pay for cap-free internet for Netflix? As for "the ability to get a console", nobody in the world has the ability to get a next-gen console before next year, except for Stadia.

"Stadia will likely take a toll on cellular data plans as well, since streaming in 720p at 10 Mbps will still use roughly 4.5GB per hour."

That's a lot of data and that's just for 720p. For casual play it's fine, but the venn diagram overlap of people who are interested in games to play enough to pay the AAA price for them but not interested enough to yet buy the console or a decent enough PC to pay the AAA price for them, and also have access to a really decent internet plan that won't hit a cap with the time it takes to finish a AAA game in that month, and are also totally fine with paying full price for a game that they can only ever play by streaming (unlike buying a PC game that has streaming options like Geforce Now) - we're narrowing down to a very thin audience.

The convenience of browser window playing has merit, but I don't think it has nearly enough to justify how Stadia is being sold as an alternative.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
It was a pretty pointless presentation sure, but why is anyone actually wanting exclusives? Stadia has a unique selling point by itself if that appeals to you cool, but why would you want to be forced to play stuff through it, or have stuff you can't play at all if you live in the wrong place?

If they're developed in-house sure, why not? I don't have an interest in them bankrolling exclusives that would already exist but if they're not games they've backed and the barrier to entry is so low sure, I'd be interested in giving them a shot. In fact, it's the only way i would be interested in giving the service a shot.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
But what's the selling point then, if their competitors have services that work equally well? If Microsoft's or Sony's cloud services work as well as Stadia, why should you choose Stadia? The others already have more studios, more games and large ecosystems people are familiar with, used by friends and family. If this turns out to be even remotely similar to the streaming services in the movie industry (Netflix, HBO, Disney+ etc.), exclusive content is gonna be very important in drawing people in to one ecosystem, instead of another.

The selling point is that it's first. Hypothetically, the audience who wants streaming will buy on Stadia - then stick with Stadia, because they're already in the ecosystem.

I have doubts as to how large the audience for a streaming games service will be in Fall 2019 though.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

MS and Sony force you to get their consoles to get streaming services. Stadia is really the only service of its kind. That is a selling point

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to keep my pre-order for this thing because I like new gaming hardware, but every time they dole out more info I wonder why.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So do we actually know what the point of this service is yet?

From Google's perspective, they're selling a direct alternative to Xbox One and PS4, but you don't need to buy a console - Google is the console. "Buy games with us, you don't need a console at all, we'll run the games for you." That's their pitch, and if you look at it without any scrutiny whatsoever, there's merit.

Of course, once someone starts to look at that proposition a little harder, the fallbacks and opportunity costs become impossible to ignore for most consumers that might demand this specific alternative.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
The selling point is that it's first. Hypothetically, the audience who wants streaming will buy on Stadia - then stick with Stadia, because they're already in the ecosystem.

I have doubts as to how large the audience for a streaming games service will be in Fall 2019 though.

But they're not first - PS Now has been around for a long time, OnLive before that, etc. I cancelled my Stadia pre-order a few weeks ago because they're seriously not showing anything. Show me a tech demo of real internet streaming to show that their tech is any better than Sony's. Google are making presentations for the mainstream gamer but the problem is the only people who will hop on this day 1 are tech enthusiasts and day 1 adopters who tend to want to see tech details and not games.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
MS and Sony force you to get their consoles to get streaming services. Stadia is really the only service of its kind. That is a selling point
You can subscribe to, and play, PlayStation Now without a console.

I think the same is likely to be true of xCloud wheneer it launches.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's cool for the new trailers, everything lagged as hell though, very odd. I will reserve my verdict for when it actually launches. Loads of cool games coming.
Too bad Orcs 3 is a Stadia exclusive.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They said CP2077 will be 4k/60fps. Im sure current gen consoles won't deliver that
Not without significant drawbacks though.

4k/60fps with single-pass compressed video quality with the inherent posterisation and macro-blocking that will make even CB4K look way better, especially on a big screen. And then there's the input latency. And the fact it uses over 15gb per hour at that quality - yes that's a whopping 600gb for the 40 hours it'll likely take you to complete Cyberpunk. And if you have a connection good enough, make sure nobody else in your home is wanting to use it at the same time to stream Netflix or whatever.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I know three other people who are getting Stadia Founder's Edition. None of us four are planning to ever play on our phones on cellular data (one of us watches videos on his phone...but only on wifi). We are getting it so we can play next-gen games this year on our TVs, with zero startup times, without buying a 2080ti graphics card.

Last edited:

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
Google has a lot to prove with Stadia before release, especially considering the overall excitement on Era (ie - not much). Connects like this are not the way to do it. I'm honestly pretty interested but they need to discuss things that are exciting to folks.

The UI and features
Exclusive games
Potential studio acquisitions

Stuff like that is interesting for better or worse. Hyping this connect for two weeks to show off trailers for multiplatform games folks have seen for months in some cases is not at all interesting.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
But they're not first - PS Now has been around for a long time, OnLive before that, etc. I cancelled my Stadia pre-order a few weeks ago because they're seriously not showing anything. Show me a tech demo of real internet streaming to show that their tech is any better than Sony's. Google are making presentations for the mainstream gamer but the problem is the only people who will hop on this day 1 are tech enthusiasts and day 1 adopters who tend to want to see tech details and not games.
First in 4K, first with new release games.

The next gen is going to have several streaming services - this is the first one of that generation.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not without significant drawbacks though.

4k/60fps with single-pass compressed video quality with the inherent posterisation and macro-blocking that will make even CB4K look way better, especially on a big screen. And then there's the input latency. And the fact it uses over 15gb per hour at that quality - yes that's a whopping 600gb for the 40 hours it'll likely take you to complete Cyberpunk. And if you have a connection good enough, make sure nobody else in your home is wanting to use it at the same time to stream Netflix or whatever.
I don't think they said native 4k. i wouldn't be surprised if they use some sort of CB on stadia too.

By April I should be on unlimited 1Gbps and yes I know speed is not the whole story, but I'm confident stadia games should run better than on my X and Pro.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That low quality, stuttering stream was pretty bad PR for a streaming platform.

That said, if next gen has us Awaiting Greatness for three years again, Stadia is a pretty enticing prospect just to play some multiplats on, until the two consoles have a big enough exclusive portfolio to warrant a purchase. At which point the console will have the kinks ironed out and a price drop.
Doesn't mean anything, I see videos stutter all the time online but my GeForce now streaming still runs as smooth as ever

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously what the hell - not a SINGLE exclusive?

How do they expect this thing to succeed?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Now I don't have any interest in streaming at all but it's obvious that the selling point is price. With traditional console you have to buy them for 3- 400$ in order to play the games. With Stadia, eventually you will not have to buy anything except the games.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know three other people who are getting Stadia Founder's Edition. None of us four are planning to ever play on our phones on cellular data (one of us watches videos on his phone...but only on wifi). We are getting it so we can play next-gen games this year on our TVs, with zero startup times, without buying a 2080ti graphics card.

I would certainly hope there is no one on this green earth looking to buy a 2080ti for playing 1080p/60fps games (though off topic, RTX Cyberpunk is probably going to be best played at 1080/60fps/ultra, but that's besides the point - I don't think RTX is going to be a thing for Stadia). I wasn't aware that startup times were even that big of an issue for anyone, even with HDD consoles (wake from sleep negates a lot of that on its own)

How do you play games right now?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now I don't have any interest in streaming at all but it's obvious that the selling point is price. With traditional cosnoles you have to buy them for 3- 400$ in order to play the games. With Stadia, eventually you will not have to buy anything except the games.
Exactly, and it will be like that forever, you won't have to upgrade your pc or buy a new console the next gen, or the next gen, or the next gen

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017

The YouTube integration is a way for Stadia to distinguish itself from Project Xcloud, but it's unclear if that's going to be supported at launch. I'm guessing no.

A lot of the features of Stadia (including the free tier) aren't coming before 2020. It's very much a soft launch this year.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
We are getting it so we can play next-gen games this year on our TVs, with zero startup times, without buying a 2080ti graphics card.
Kind of curious what you perceive to be a "next-gen" game out of the current Stadia 2019 line-up. Do you mean you hope to play somewhat improved versions of games that will also be available on PS4 and Xbox One, like Borderland 3 and Doom Eternal?

Now I don't have any interest in streaming at all but it's obvious that the selling point is price. With traditional cosnoles you have to buy them for 3- 400$ in order to play the games. With Stadia, eventually you will not have to buy anything except the games.
Yep, that also explains the launch timing. The time when Sony and Microsoft are theoretically most vulnerable to another platform that's competing largely based on price is during a generational transition.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I'm baffled at how anyone at Google thought showing a bunch of games everyone has seen before, on a primetime slot at a major conference when your early adopters are watching, was a good idea.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to try cyberpunk on stadia with the stadia controller next year. That's going to be my test. If it's good, I'll roll with stadia for awhile. Love being able to play on any screen.