• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Still Actively Use Stadia?

• Founder - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 70 2.8%
  • Founder - No I don't.

Votes: 102 4.1%
  • Premier - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 16 0.6%
  • Premier - No I don't.

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • I don't own Stadia, but I'm considering it after hearing about it

Votes: 109 4.4%
  • I don't own Stadia, and I don't plan on getting it

Votes: 2,174 87.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm a Founder. I've stopped playing for the most part because it became abundantly clear Google was using Founders as beta testers and seemingly had little idea about how to communicate with gamers, as well as what their priorities were. I think what broke me was playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and realizing that it wasn't 4K60, and not being able to return it 15 minutes after purchase.

There's so much that they need to catch up on in terms of the store and store policies in general that they honestly should have waited until they had a more thorough understanding of how things work on various platforms. They have to play a LOT of catch up and they have to do it fast if they want to keep this ship afloat.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Even I, as a gung-ho "to the cloud! ahoy" person, am not really interested in Stadia as is now.
Maybe by the end of the year, when Stadia Base is publicly available and the library expands such that a gamepass-like subscription service is more financially viable, and that $0 introductory price will be appealing as opposed to getting a new console. But even then, xcloud still has more apparently value for the dollar based on what I know so far.

Oct 27, 2017
There's just extremely limited value prop for me with stadia at the moment. And that's clearly the same with other people, looking at this poll.

Games are cheaper elsewhere, they play better on even consoles for the most part, and when I'm traveling or something why wouldn't I just use remote play or my xcloud beta?

Google really has to rethink this whole thing and their approach. As it is - especially combined with their seemingly poor communication strategy - I can't imagine there is a bright future for the platform.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
It actually works really well. input latency isnt the problem with Stadia. I see you had a bad experience with SamSho, but maybe that was due to your friends internet? or perhaps the game itself? SamSho plays really slow, so it can feel weird for sure, but thats the game.

Ive played loads of Destiny 2 on Stadia, and it works really good. I also just ran through Thumper level 1 up through the final boss, and I got a bunch of S ranks, sure its level 1, but it seems about what it felt like when I played it on PC in VR a long time ago. The game still isnt really for me, so I didnt play much more.

But the problem with streaming is that your experience might not be equal to that of someone else. The fact that it works great for you doesn't mean it works great for everyone else.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
But the problem with streaming is that your experience might not be equal to that of someone else. The fact that it works great for you doesn't mean it works great for everyone else.

Oh for sure 100%.

But his statement was that there was no way it could be playable, but it in fact very much is playable. Streaming isnt for everyone, but the tech does work.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
I'm a founder and I play it frequently, mostly on my phone. Its stolen most of my portable time away from the switch so I guess that's saying something. It needs more games ASAP though.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I'm a Founder. I've stopped playing for the most part because it became abundantly clear Google was using Founders as beta testers and seemingly had little idea about how to communicate with gamers, as well as what their priorities were. I think what broke me was playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and realizing that it wasn't 4K60, and not being able to return it 15 minutes after purchase.
How were you not able to return it? I've been able to refund purchases through Stadia.
https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9598538?hl=en
Refunds for games
  • You can request a refund within 14 days of your purchase if there is less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts (family and personal). Games may only be returned one time, so if you return a purchased game for a refund and subsequently re-purchase it, you will not be entitled to a refund. This refund is only available for purchased games, and not for add-on content or services.
  • If you return the game for a refund it will be removed from your library and you will no longer be able to play it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia is so fucked, I wouldn't be shocked if Google took it out back with a shotgun by the end of 2020. I always knew it would fail but the level of failure is astonishing. Stadia came out of the womb and straight onto life support. It never stood a chance.
Makes you wonder what would've happened if they hadn't launched it until late this year instead, with demos for everything, the free sub alternative, 20 or so extra games already there, including Cyberpunk, maybe som exclusive as well.

The extreme beta state certainly hasn't helped the service so far. Shows how important it is to get everything right out of the door, especially for a new platform.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play mine everyday with Destiny 2, playing it often on Hotspots or on the go, I love it. Personally looking forward to more AAA Games, can't wait for new announcements.

I also wanna see the free version getting released, so they more people get on board. The constant negativity especially in this board is incredibly annoying and dumb.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like one of the biggest untapped markets are More casual who don't need a console and can just launch a app and occasionally play Fifa or GTA. All they need is a controller and they are good.
Except they also need a good internet connection. That's something that the more casual crowd may not have access or choose to not have access to.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60fps on Destiny and better load times and graphics are also an amazing bonus, I can't recommend Stadia enough. Hopefully when more people try it out in February, the perception will change.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I probably use the free version one single time, having a bad experience and never use it again.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Interesting poll results. Especially for a forum like this. I imagine even less people are using it among the general public, so it's probably a matter of time until it gets killed unless they improve it dramatically.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I have the friend guest pass ro what's it called, tried it on cellphone, great. But would like to be able to play on my Android TV without the need of a chromecast as the TV has that built in already...

Europe here so 300Mbit/s for €25, soon its going to be upgraded to 600Mbits/s for free after the merger of a big broadband company and a big cell network company.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I might try out the free version when it drops.

But for me Stadia is the solution to a problem I don't have.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Premier Edition, spent an evening playing around with it. I actually really like it - it runs super smoothly on my setup. If it had good games, I would use it way more often.

But there's the rub. There's literally nothing on this system that I want to play.

Deleted member 32726

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
When the free tier comes out, I'll give it a shot. I've been curious of it's performance relative to other (superior) streaming services on WiFi. I've heard good things.

But there's zero chance of me paying for Pro when I do not own a 4k display.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Watching Netflix in a home with more then 4-6 people works fine too, this won't be a problem compared to buying a 500€ console.
Not with only 10 mbit and video is different as that can be buffered. Game streaming can not. You will notice every time someone else uses the internet. Also most casuals buy consoles later for cheaper.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
My husband got it at release and has hardly used it since. It greatly needs some more of that "negative latency".

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not with only 10 mbit and video is different as that can be buffered. Game streaming can not. You will notice every time someone else uses the internet. Also most casuals buy consoles later for cheaper.

Most casuals won't buy consoles at all and will Have fine enough internet, as everyone needs fast internet today. I truly think that people underestimate this market, which is not a surprise as this is an enthusiastic gaming forum. But it's important to see beyond established thresholds.

V5er

Nov 19, 2019
Premiere Edition here. I use it everyday with my no data cap 500 Mbit/s <1ms lag internet connection with no technical problems whatsoever. It!s a great test for your home network and internet connection.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Unfortunately on my meager connection it doesn't work well if someone else is on my home network doing anything like YouTube, plus I have all the systems anyway so I'm not the Target demographic so I haven't used it after trying it out a couple times.

I feel bad for wasting an invite code.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The tech works pretty well for me (on a 500mbit connection) but the game selection is abysmal 2 months after launch, it's BARELY ready to be sold as a service, and the lack of any sort of cross-play is going to severely hurt multiplayer games.

Like how is there still no way to change the streaming quality from a browser? Why is there still no iOS support? Why have they not released or talked about when apps are coming for other devices (e.g. Roku, Chromecast 1080p, etc.)? Why does the visual quality look like shit in a browser versus a Chromecast Ultra?

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it for the past month, but the issue for me is the pricing and the games. I've played Gylt for a few hours and have mostly enjoyed it (I plan to go back and finish it soon) but all the other games I might be interested in playing I already own on other platforms (many of the games are years old) or there is no way I will pay a full $60 for a streaming version of a game.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For
That's fine, but there is also additional misinformation which is annoying, like Destiny not looking better then the console version.

Destiny 2 on Stadia is 1080p/60 at medium settings.

Destiny 2 on Xbox One X is 4k/30 with medium settings.

Yes, Destiny 2 is a much smoother experience at 60fps, but the image quality on the Xbox One X is noticeably better than Stadia.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Even I, as a gung-ho "to the cloud! ahoy" person, am not really interested in Stadia as is now.
Maybe by the end of the year, when Stadia Base is publicly available and the library expands such that a gamepass-like subscription service is more financially viable, and that $0 introductory price will be appealing as opposed to getting a new console. But even then, xcloud still has more apparently value for the dollar based on what I know so far.
Have they said anything of upgrades planned for stadia? The part that confuses me is it currently doesn't even run stuff as well as like an xbox one x and that's weaker than next gen stuff.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Its way better, colors and contrasts are more crisp and it just looks way more beautiful too. The fast feeling us the best of course.

This isn't true at all.

Stadia Destiny 2 is 1080p/60, with medium settings. That's it. The 60fps must be giving you some sort of placebo effect.

Both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro console versions have higher resolution and image quality. PC of course has the advantage of image quality, resolution, and a 60fps frame rate.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to try Stadia for immediate demos.. that's what I used OnLive for yeeears back. But I didn't have the internet connection to invest in games for OnLive.

Does Stadia have demos to try in their 1080p free package?