• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Still Actively Use Stadia?

• Founder - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 70 2.8%
  • Founder - No I don't.

Votes: 102 4.1%
  • Premier - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 16 0.6%
  • Premier - No I don't.

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • I don't own Stadia, but I'm considering it after hearing about it

Votes: 109 4.4%
  • I don't own Stadia, and I don't plan on getting it

Votes: 2,174 87.1%

• Total voters

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Genuinely curious, how in the hell do you play Thumper with any kind of input lag?
Well lag on Stadia is almost non-existent, so.....

That said, the Stadia version is overly generous on late button-presses specifically.
Thing is, it doesn't actually need to be as generous as it is, and a number of players have noticed it.
The first time I tried Thumper, I kept messing up because I was too early, thinking I needed to account for lag. I didn't.
I'm currently on level 9 and man that game is intense as all heck!

(BTW, founder here. Rough launch for sure, but now it's my preferred way to play. No downloads, no noisy PC or console in the background, just pick a game and play. So far I've finished Metro Exodus and Gylt, and I'm well into Borderlands 3. Thumper I've already talked about. I only have a 68mbps connection and it's been great)

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Google needs to start posting the framerate and resolution info. I just jumped into Rise of the Tomb Raider and noticed that it's running at 60fps. No idea if it's been like this all the time or if they've updated it but it looks very nice indeed.

I'm pretty sure it's 60 unless you're playing via a Chromecast with the resolution mode enabled in the game's settings.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
(BTW, founder here. Rough launch for sure, but now it's my preferred way to play. No downloads, no noisy PC or console in the background, just pick a game and play. So far I've finished Metro Exodus and Gylt, and I'm well into Borderlands 3. Thumper I've already talked about. I only have a 68mbps connection and it's been great)

Same, I wrote something similar in the past. If I was able to get my entire PS4 collection on Stadia, I would never user either of my consoles again. I'm super sold on the tech.

But you know our input is obviously not based on our actually using the product, we are obviously lying as stated above :P

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Same, I wrote something similar in the past. If I was able to get my entire PS4 collection on Stadia, I would never user either of my consoles again. I'm super sold on the tech.

But you know our input is obviously not based on our actually using the product, we are obviously lying as stated above :P

Lol one dude accused me of getting paid by Google, which is apparently fine.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Well lag on Stadia is almost non-existent, so.....

That said, the Stadia version is overly generous on late button-presses specifically.
Thing is, it doesn't actually need to be as generous as it is, and a number of players have noticed it.
The first time I tried Thumper, I kept messing up because I was too early, thinking I needed to account for lag. I didn't.
I'm currently on level 9 and man that game is intense as all heck!

It's honestly the most overlooked and biggest game-changing feature ever. You buy a game and you can instantly play it. No waiting for updates, no waiting for day 1 patches, no waiting for initial downloads, instantly into the game. If I was able to transfer all my saves and all my games from all my owned platforms to Stadia, I'd drop all the others.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
There's no deadline to this. Google could announce that exclusive tomorrow and Era would play it. It's kinda pointless to launch a massive exclusive when the platform is effectively in early access.
I don't think most of Era would, even with Stadia Base. They would still have to invest $60 into a game on a platform that many don't want, or have a good connection to support it, data caps, or general disinterest, etc. Some people aren't sold on streaming in general, and input lag is still a concern.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think most of Era would, even with Stadia Base. They would still have to invest $60 into a game on a platform that many don't want, or have a good connection to support it, data caps, or general disinterest, etc. Some people aren't sold on streaming in general, and input lag is still a concern.

The "platform" on Stadia is your browser or chromecast. The idea that people who are already playing games on a modern console don't have adequate internet for Stadia is generally not true. If you have the internet to download a 50+ GB game in a reasonable amount of time, you can stream. It doesn't require a dramatically faster connection that Netflix which is a household brand. These are excuses which make very little sense to me.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The "platform" on Stadia is your browser or chromecast. The idea that people who are already playing games on a modern console don't have adequate internet for Stadia is generally not true. If you have the internet to download a 50+ GB game in a reasonable amount of time, you can stream. It doesn't require a dramatically faster connection that Netflix which is a household brand. These are excuses which make very little sense to me.
Even if Stadia works 100% as expected, and you could somehow be 100% certain your internet wouldn't ever have issues, it's still a relatively new platform, where you play an encoded stream of a game that can max run at 30 or 60 FPS and where you have to pay a sub to play your bought games in a resolution above 1080p.

What makes little sense is thinking everyone's going to buy in 'because it works'. Even if we get beyond the point of it being viable there's still plenty of reasons why people wouldn't be interested in the "platform".

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Even if Stadia works 100% as expected, and you could somehow be 100% certain your internet wouldn't ever have issues, it's still a relatively new platform, where you play an encoded stream of a game that can max run at 30 or 60 FPS and where you have to pay a sub to play your bought games in a resolution above 1080p.

What makes little sense is thinking everyone's going to buy in 'because it works'. Even if we get beyond the point of it being viable there's still plenty of reasons why people wouldn't be interested in the "platform".

Mmm how about the fact that Stadia is cheaper than buying a console?

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

The problem with Stadia is not the technology at all. I've tested Stadia on a variety of different connections and devices. It works almost all of the time. There is really no detectable input lag. For some, caps will be an issue, but not for many.

The problem is the content (not many games) and entrenched network effects of playing games with your friends that also own the same platform.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I'm well aware of where and what Stadia can be played on. That doesn't guarantee people will flock to it. Just because you can play it/use it, doesn't mean everyone is going to jump on it. With the lack of any killer exclusives, or it's existing game library will be enough for people to decide. Most people play on one to two platforms, and I don't think many will want to have another platform where they're buying games to stream them.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Mmm how about the fact that Stadia is cheaper than buying a console?
Naturally that's a bonus*, though I doubt it's particularly enticing for people who already either have a console, or are invested in one of the current console libraries or IP. The backwards compatibility alone could compel them to buy the next console instead.

This all assumes that people even get an equal choice between the two when it comes to games. If the games people want aren't available then it stops right there. Also as someone mentioned, the social networks of course. It's a big mistake if Stadia's going to leave crossplay 'up to the developers'. They need to be pushing hard for this. Even if you get a 'healthy' pool of players for online, there's still a good chance people in your social network are not playing it on Stadia and not being able to play with them because of that is an issue.

(*) As a buy-in at least. Whether it's cheaper than other options in the long run remains to be seen imo. You can't resell anything and you're basically stuck with whatever pricing Stadia offers you. Unless they start selling keys or something there'll be no cheaper options elsewhere.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's 60 unless you're playing via a Chromecast with the resolution mode enabled in the game's settings.
I'm playing on a Chromecast with framerate mode in the game, looks and runs beautifully.
Is Shadow 60fps as well?
I'm really impressed by Rise! Hopefully we'll get Shadow through the founders sub too.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Naturally that's a bonus*, though I doubt it's particularly enticing for people who already either have a console, or are invested in one of the current console libraries or IP. The backwards compatibility alone could compel them to buy the next console instead.

This all assumes that people even get an equal choice between the two when it comes to games. If the games people want aren't available then it stops right there. Also as someone mentioned, the social networks of course. It's a big mistake if Stadia's going to leave crossplay 'up to the developers'. They need to be pushing hard for this. Even if you get a 'healthy' pool of players for online, there's still a good chance people in your social network are not playing it on Stadia and not being able to play with them because of that is an issue.

(*) As a buy-in at least. Whether it's cheaper than other options in the long run remains to be seen imo. You can't resell anything and you're basically stuck with whatever pricing Stadia offers you. Unless they start selling keys or something there'll be no cheaper options elsewhere.

It will of course depend on how good does the Stadia library gets along with any exclusives it might have. It has to become an option where most of the 3rd party games are available. The fact that you don't have to buy a console after that library of games is available, is a big plus. Even with the payed service, it is something you don't have to pay every month. As you mentioned you cannot resell your games, but the same applies with digital games and as we have seen year after year, the group of people that care about buying physical games is getting smaller.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

There are definitely valid reasons to as why people would want to avoid buying into Stadia, but it all depends on the way you look at it. I personally see Stadia in the same lens as I saw the Gameboy when it came out. It's a huge change in how people can play games across the board.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
This shit should be bannable, wtf
How is that bannable or console warring? The platform has clear issues and is clearly failing. Streaming games isn't viable yet as the majority of people just don't have the internet service required to make it a comfortable experience. Install numbers and the population on its games make it clear as day. Or are we only allowed to post positive opinions and parrot the echo chamber here?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
How is that bannable or console warring? The platform has clear issues and is clearly failing. Streaming games isn't viable yet as the majority of people just don't have the internet service required to make it a comfortable experience. Install numbers and the population on its games make it clear as day. Or are we only allowed to post positive opinions and parrot the echo chamber here?
You could start with not blindly accusing posters of lying with no evidence of such perhaps?

Also the service launches for real at the free tier, right now it is a paid beta. And your Internet assumption is US based and even then the situation does not seem to be as bad as stated

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Continued Trolling After Being Warned
You could start with not blindly accusing posters of lying with no evidence of such perhaps?

Also the service launches for real at the free tier, right now it is a paid beta. And your Internet assumption is US based and even then the situation does not seem to be as bad as stated
It's called hyperbole. Much worse shit gets said around here and no one bats an eye. Don't be so sensitive.

My internet assumption is indeed US based as it's one of the countries with the best infrastructure in place, not the best, but it's up there. Which doesn't bode well for the topic at hand.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
It's called hyperbole. Much worse shit gets said around here and no one bats an eye. Don't be so sensitive.

My internet assumption is indeed US based as it's one of the countries with the best infrastructure in place, not the best, but it's up there. Which doesn't bode well for the topic at hand.
Come on man, accusing others of lying with a drive by post is just a tiny bit inflammatory so I don't think it's him "just being sensitive". There are people (including me) who really do enjoy and continue to use the platform and your dismissal as "they're liars" is quite off putting.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly the most overlooked and biggest game-changing feature ever. You buy a game and you can instantly play it. No waiting for updates, no waiting for day 1 patches, no waiting for initial downloads, instantly into the game. If I was able to transfer all my saves and all my games from all my owned platforms to Stadia, I'd drop all the others.

Most big games you can pre-load on console before release, also if you time it right you can get patches to download overnight or when you aren't playing. These are not that big of problems... you know what is a time waster though? The fact I have to reload AC on Stadia everytime I quit playing because it doesn't have a suspend feature. The time I saved not downloading or patching has been far exceeded by seeing the title screen load over and over again.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude he's not being sensitive. It's at least (and actually probably at most) worthy of a warning.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Most big games you can pre-load on console before release, also if you time it right you can get patches to download overnight or when you aren't playing. These are not that big of problems... you know what is a time waster though? The fact I have to reload AC on Stadia everytime I quit playing because it doesn't have a suspend feature. The time I saved not downloading or patching has been far exceeded by seeing the title screen load over and over again.
While I agree with you that maybe something can be done to implement a suspend feature and would love to have it, I don't think your statement is 100% accurate. I personally go between D2, Assasins Creed, and Thumper. I imagine there are quite a few other founders and players in general who are going in between games. Bootup times, going between different TV's in my house, and no downloads have saved me a ton of time. And D2 loading is on a different level compared to Xbox and PlayStation - It completely destroys it. ACO does have an issue with the amount of time it takes to get to finally play when you launch - I agree. But that's really the only game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My guess is Stadia has about 3 months to get its stuff together. if it can pull off a good Cyberpunk launch, it might win some people back- IF it can deliver superior performance without the hardware requirement, that's about its only chance of hijacking the conversation.

Without a major heavy hitter like that, it's gonna become an also-ran by the time next gen consoles hype machine is in full swing.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
My guess is Stadia has about 3 months to get its stuff together. if it can pull off a good Cyberpunk launch, it might win some people back- IF it can deliver superior performance without the hardware requirement, that's about its only chance of hijacking the conversation.

Without a major heavy hitter like that, it's gonna become an also-ran by the time next gen consoles hype machine is in full swing.
Cyberpunk isn't coming to Stadia at launch, it will release after the other versions.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Positive opinions; echo chamber? LOL. Even people who use Stadia have posted that there are MASSIVE issues with the service - myself included.

Your comment was just a drive-by shitpost. Stop trying to pretend it wasn't.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I personally see Stadia in the same lens as I saw the Gameboy when it came out. It's a huge change in how people can play games across the board.
If you talked about VR I would understand but how is Stadia a new way to play?
To me it's just a new platform that, if successful, would let me ignore the hardware to focus on the games instead.
It's great that it's completely silent with no downloads, installs and patches... But unfortunately I'm not as positive about the service as a whole today as I was around the launch. Today I'm literally just enjoying the games I get for free. They need to sort out the economics and offer demos of every game, it's not realistic to think that people will pay full price for a game without even knowing how it looks or plays, we can't wait for DF to make a video about every release.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me it's just a new platform that, if successful, would let me ignore the hardware to focus on the games instead.
It's great that it's completely silent with no downloads, installs and patches... But unfortunately I'm not as positive about the service as a whole today as I was around the launch. Today I'm literally just enjoying the games I get for free. They need to sort out the economics and offer demos of every game, it's not realistic to think that people will pay full price for a game without even knowing how it looks or plays, we can't wait for DF to make a video about every release.

I'm with you. I like the idea of Stadia and the tech works but Google's decisions and communication has been such a shitshow so far I don't trust they know how to be in this industry. They aren't going to last long at all if they keep going down this path.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

I was just responding to your post, I won't lose any sleep.

I really think you need to research US internet access vs the rest of the world though

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

Not having a console or a pc but still being able to play mainstream video games is a still a new way to play. It's not all input method related.

The thing is, there is no download required at all. You can't go to PSN/XBL/NSO/Steam, buy a game, and then boot it immediately. There's no way to do that. You have to wait for downloads, you have to wait for day-one patches and all that jazz. On Stadia, you hit buy, you play immediately. No patches, no overnight bs, nothing. It's INSTANT.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Legitimately hilarious post.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not having a console or a pc but still being able to play mainstream video games is a still a new way to play. It's not all input method related.

The thing is, there is no download required at all. You can't go to PSN/XBL/NSO/Steam, buy a game, and then boot it immediately. There's no way to do that. You have to wait for downloads, you have to wait for day-one patches and all that jazz. On Stadia, you hit buy, you play immediately. No patches, no overnight bs, nothing. It's INSTANT.
It's absolutely amazing for that reason, but if they don't make strides to show that are taking the library seriously it won't matter.

I would buy all my games on Stadia vs my Ps4Pro but I'm not going to wait to do it to get a game like cyberpunk

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I get it. I have Stadia. And that's great that you don't have to wait for a download but as someone who doesn't play a bunch of games, one or two overnight game downloads aren't dealbreakers. What is a dealbreaker for me right now though is the fact Stadia doesn't have a suspend feature which means you have to be more conscious of saving and you have to restart from the titlescreen everytime. That's not very instant. There is no "instant on" for Stadia like current gen consoles.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can call it a faster way to play but I wouldn't call it new, especially if you're familiar with modern PC gaming. At best I would call it a cheaper way to experience what you can do on a good PC with good internet.

I have large enough SSDs that I can have all games I'm likely to play installed (and automatically patched) and ready to go. Those games will load faster, look better, and run at higher FPS than their stadia counterparts. If I buy something new or install something from my library, my internet downloads at 80-100MB/s so even the largest games are ready to go in under 15 mins. Technically I could even use remote install to begin the download while I'm commuting home from work or out at a restaurant, but DLs are quick enough that I don't bother.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Omg, they don't even have a release date for it. Lmao

I mean I'm pretty sure no one got dev kits until earlier this year. Not shocked that they are putting their resources on getting the other platforms ready for release date. It's not like they can just take the PC build and hit "make ready for Stadia" button.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can call it a faster way to play but I wouldn't call it new, especially if you're familiar with modern PC gaming. At best I would call it a cheaper way to experience what you can do on a good PC with good internet.

I have large enough SSDs that I can have all games I'm likely to play installed (and automatically patched) and ready to go. Those games will load faster, look better, and run at higher FPS than their stadia counterparts. If I buy something new or install something from my library, my internet downloads at 80-100MB/s so even the largest games are ready to go in under 15 mins. Technically I could even use remote install to begin the download while I'm commuting home from work or out at a restaurant, but DLs are quick enough that I don't bother.

Remote install works for PlayStation as well. There have been a lot of times I have bought a game off the website, remote installed it and it was ready to roll by the time I got home. I feel like a lot of Stadia fans really, really push the downloads as being some huge burden that needs to be overcome... it's not.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I mean I'm pretty sure no one got dev kits until earlier this year. Not shocked that they are putting their resources on getting the other platforms ready for release date. It's not like they can just take the PC build and hit "make ready for Stadia" button.
Right, but before Stadia came out there were multiple posters caping harrrrd for Stadia saying how it was the true next gen platform and would be the best place to play Cyberpunk at launch. Stadia also plugged the shit out of Cyberpunk, the fact that they don't say anything other than "will release the same year" is hilarious to me.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remote install works for PlayStation as well. There have been a lot of times I have bought a game off the website, remote installed it and it was ready to roll by the time I got home. I feel like a lot of Stadia fans really, really push the downloads as being some huge burden that needs to be overcome... it's not.

I think xbox can do it also, but it's been a few years since I've had one

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but before Stadia came out there were multiple posters caping harrrrd for Stadia saying how it was the true next gen platform and would be the best place to play Cyberpunk at launch. Stadia also plugged the shit out of Cyberpunk, the fact that they don't say anything other than "will release the same year" is hilarious to me.

Well that's just people being dumb because no one has officially said it was coming day and date.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

Betamax had issues and failed, but that doesn't mean somebody who enjoyed watching E.T. on the platform was lying about their experience.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Does Stadia have dev kits? I would think they'd have an SDK or something for Unity and Unreal to help with development similar to Oculus.

Looking at their site that's what seems to be the case. So while it isn't a "push to Stadia button" it's probably more simple than a dev kit.

Cyberpunk 2077 is using CDPR's in house engine so it's probably a lot more work than porting something like Superhot.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I get it. I have Stadia. And that's great that you don't have to wait for a download but as someone who doesn't play a bunch of games, one or two overnight game downloads aren't dealbreakers. What is a dealbreaker for me right now though is the fact Stadia doesn't have a suspend feature which means you have to be more conscious of saving and you have to restart from the titlescreen everytime. That's not very instant. There is no "instant on" for Stadia like current gen consoles.

Yeah this definitely missing in Stadia. I think it could be implemented by just dumping the ram state to disk. Hopefully it's something they add.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Does Stadia have dev kits? I would think they'd have an SDK or something for Unity and Unreal to help with development similar to Oculus.

Looking at their site that's what seems to be the case. So while it isn't a "push to Stadia button" it's probably more simple than a dev kit.

Cyberpunk 2077 is using CDPR's in house engine so it's probably a lot more work than porting something like Superhot.

They have dev kits which are basically the same hardware and software that the servers are using. They showed them during one of the earlier events, I believe it might have been the GDC one last year. It's just another option to assist with the porting process.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
They have dev kits which are basically the same hardware and software that the servers are using. They showed them during one of the earlier events, I believe it might have been the GDC one last year. It's just another option to assist with the porting process.

Maybe it's only for certain devs? It seems really inefficient vs just setting aside a server at one of Google's data centers.