• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Still Actively Use Stadia?

• Founder - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 70 2.8%
  • Founder - No I don't.

Votes: 102 4.1%
  • Premier - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 16 0.6%
  • Premier - No I don't.

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • I don't own Stadia, but I'm considering it after hearing about it

Votes: 109 4.4%
  • I don't own Stadia, and I don't plan on getting it

Votes: 2,174 87.1%

• Total voters

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to try Stadia for immediate demos.. that's what I used OnLive for yeeears back. But I didn't have the internet connection to invest in games for OnLive.

Does Stadia have demos to try in their 1080p free package?
Right now there is no way to play any game for free on Stadia (there's also no indication that this will change in future).

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Founder here and I'm gonna cancel before the 3 month trial is over. There's not much on here I want to play. Launching without any of their first party games ready or killer exclusives was certainly a decision.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I wanted to try Stadia for immediate demos.. that's what I used OnLive for yeeears back. But I didn't have the internet connection to invest in games for OnLive.

Does Stadia have demos to try in their 1080p free package?

Has been stated that trials are coming in the future but as of right now there's no way.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Founder here and I'm gonna cancel before the 3 month trial is over. There's not much on here I want to play. Launching without any of their first party games ready or killer exclusives was certainly a decision.
I play constantly for Destiny, but have to decide if it is worth it just for that as I could just go back to play on my ps4 without season passes

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I wouldn't count Stadia out just yet. Regardless of how good it's doing now, and even if the other services would do just as good or better, if Google starts putting Stadia demo's next to every youtube videos or something it could still push its way to the top by sheer saturation.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Everybody in this thread will have a Stadia account in 12 months. It doesn't need you to make a big investment. Judging the success of the service makes no sense now when it's basically in beta. When the service only costs the price of a game, then all it takes is one to get you into the ecosystem. You're already halfway in if you have a Gmail account. If the benefits of instant, platform agnostic access to AAA games isn't enough of a benefit, then eventually some exclusive will hit that pulls you in. If you don't like it, it didn't cost you more than the price of a game.

I don't think it's sunk in yet that Stadia really works. You can play AAA games on any low-powered laptop with kb/m or gamepad forgetting that it's being rendered remotely. Even if you prefer PS5 or PC or whatever, you will eventually spend some time with Stadia, and this is just year 1.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Google basically made a "MVP", minimally viable product, and expected people to use it over fully fledged products/eco systems with thousands of games in arguably higher quality in both image and gameplay (lag).
The poll is brutal!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I was bullish on stadia one of the most bullish in this community but after the last 2mos... Nah, I'll hold off for quite a while. Maybe for ever.

I love the idea of streaming and thought Google would deliver what I wanted but so far they haven't.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I bought the Founders edition and I really like the service so I'll be sticking around. Seems like everyone loves to hate on Stadia, but I get the feeling most don't know what their talking about and haven't even tried it properly. It's actually pretty damn impressive. As a gamer, it's hard not to appreciate it.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still playing. Think it's pretty awesome. Just needs more games.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I bought the Founders edition and I really like the service so I'll be sticking around. Seems like everyone loves to hate on Stadia, but I get the feeling most don't know what their talking about and haven't even tried it properly. It's actually pretty damn impressive. As a gamer, it's hard not to appreciate it.
Gaming side enthusiasts getting the lube out to see things fail or for Epic Games hate trains will never not be the dumbest shit to me.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely curious, how in the hell do you play Thumper with any kind of input lag?
It's an easier version of the game with generous input windows. I thought the songs would be slowed down so there would still be a timing element for challenge, but apparently you can miss the beat, and still get credit for "hitting" it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Everybody in this thread will have a Stadia account in 12 months. It doesn't need you to make a big investment. Judging the success of the service makes no sense now when it's basically in beta. When the service only costs the price of a game, then all it takes is one to get you into the ecosystem. You're already halfway in if you have a Gmail account. If the benefits of instant, platform agnostic access to AAA games isn't enough of a benefit, then eventually some exclusive will hit that pulls you in. If you don't like it, it didn't cost you more than the price of a game.

I don't think it's sunk in yet that Stadia really works. You can play AAA games on any low-powered laptop with kb/m or gamepad forgetting that it's being rendered remotely. Even if you prefer PS5 or PC or whatever, you will eventually spend some time with Stadia, and this is just year 1.

Oh really. I think not. I don't play AAA or AA games on my low-powered laptop nor my phones, tablet etc.
Chances of Stadia having an exclusive relevant to my interest(flight sims, JRPGs) rapidly approaches nil.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The service functions - latency isn't noticeable most of the time, compression/network quality isn't noticeable most of the time, it just works. It's so great to acquire a digital game and immediately start playing it, no download or install needed. The big problem is the graphics are nowhere near what they promised - what they promised in terms of compute power should have been comparable with PS5 or XBox Series X, what we got seems comparable to PS4 or XBox One S. Which means for me it has little use.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I wouldn't count Stadia out just yet. Regardless of how good it's doing now, and even if the other services would do just as good or better, if Google starts putting Stadia demo's next to every youtube videos or something it could still push its way to the top by sheer saturation.

Most people around me don't even know that Stadia exist. When the next-gen consoles drop, Stadia will be pushed so far down, I doubt it will ever be able to surface again.

IMO

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Most people around me don't even know that Stadia exist. When the next-gen consoles drop, Stadia will be pushed so far down, I doubt it will ever be able to surface again.

IMO
My point is mostly that obscurity is less of an immediate deathknell for Stadia because Google has the capability of putting it in everyone's face at the flick of a switch. It could be the VHS of streaming services.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Oh really. I think not. I don't play AAA or AA games on my low-powered laptop nor my phones, tablet etc.
Chances of Stadia having an exclusive relevant to my interest(flight sims, JRPGs) rapidly approaches nil.
But what if you were checking a trailer of a game you were interested on YouTube and could do an hour trial of the game instantly, right there in your browser? This is Stadia's potential. I doubt many people on here wouldn't at least give it a try in this kind of scenario.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
But what if you were checking a trailer of a game you were interested on YouTube and could do an hour trial of the game instantly, right there in your browser? This is Stadia's potential. I doubt many people on here wouldn't at least give it a try in this kind of scenario.

Nah I would wait for a proper demo or just the release on pc or console if I'm interested in this hypothetical game. Might be because of my age but i don't have adhoc game sessions.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it 10 Years. With something like elon musks internet with low latency and affordability is available in the whole planet. And if google still gives a damn with this project by that time
Personally I'm talking about streaming in general not specifically Stadia. Many gamers tend to be very conservative with the format so anything outside of what they are used to causes them to push back. In a few months this place will be filled with threads praising every status quo thing that Sony does.

Stadia was never going to replace consoles, but for me it has proven the tech is very viable and it will only get better.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming side enthusiasts getting the lube out to see things fail or for Epic Games hate trains will never not be the dumbest shit to me.

I don't take any pleasure personally in seeing things fail. I want the industry to advance and continue on with new advancements. Stadia was not that though - this was the arrogance of Google thinking they could upset an existing market through their usual, half-baked products.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's possible Stadia could get a visible slice of the pie chart for next-gen but it would have to start living up to its promises.

It isn't hardware agnostic at this point, which is a key part of the appeal. It also needs to start demonstrating those 10.7 teraflops.

They can also stand to be more bold. They have YouTube - imagine an E3 presentation livestream that neatly segued into a showfloor demo you could play with Stadia. They just need to start making moves ahead of the PS5 and Xbox Series X gaining momentum.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That would be awesome, even just 15 minutes would be good enough, just so we can check how the games looks and runs at our own place. The concerns about the streaming and ports quality needs to go away.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What's macroblocking?
Moar jay-peg
hqdefault.jpg

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Personally I'm talking about streaming in general not specifically Stadia. Many gamers tend to be very conservative with the format so anything outside of what they are used to causes them to push back. In a few months this place will be filled with threads praising every status quo thing that Sony does.

Stadia was never going to replace consoles, but for me it has proven the tech is very viable and it will only get better.

This isn't surprising nor is it a negative. Brand loyalty and trust is very real and is built up over time.

Personally, I don't trust Google in the least. I am not against streaming, I'm just not interested in Google gaining traction or taking over gaming.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I wanna try Stadia, but I don't want to put that much money down for an experiment. I'm still kicking myself for not just going to that Cinemark TGA2019 screening where google just basically gave everyone who attended a founders pack.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't trust Google in the least. I am not against streaming, I'm just not interested in Google gaining traction or taking over gaming.

They are all the same faceless corporations that view us as nothing more than a source of revenue, so I'm pretty indifferent. Competition is the closest you can get to them "caring" about our interests.

MS had there ass handed to them this gen and they have pivoted with great options like Gamepass. Sony finally allowed crossplay due to bad PR, etc..

I don't get mindless fanboyism that does nothing but protect corporate interests.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't take any pleasure personally in seeing things fail. I want the industry to advance and continue on with new advancements. Stadia was not that though - this was the arrogance of Google thinking they could upset an existing market through their usual, half-baked products.

How about we give it more than 2 months before making statements like this lol

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
I'm absolutely certain that most if not all of the Stadia founders that said they are still using it are lying.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always forget Stadia exists until someone creates a thread about it on Era.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Stadia not having a big exclusive that would only work on it was a huge mistake. It needed something like Halo for MS.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stadia not having a big exclusive that would only work on it was a huge mistake. It needed something like Halo for MS.

There's no deadline to this. Google could announce that exclusive tomorrow and Era would play it. It's kinda pointless to launch a massive exclusive when the platform is effectively in early access.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried Thumper, played through the first 15 levels or so, the first world, with varied results I should say but it was my first attempt at the game. I'm still amazed that a game like that can even work.
Why oh why can't they tweak the economics? I'm just claiming the free games at this point and that's that. They need to have better discounts or a subscription based library.

Edit: Guess I need to change my vote to still using it now. :P Done!

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Google needs to start posting the framerate and resolution info. I just jumped into Rise of the Tomb Raider and noticed that it's running at 60fps. No idea if it's been like this all the time or if they've updated it but it looks very nice indeed.