• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
"The biggest complaint most developers have with Stadia is the fear that Google is just going to cancel it," Gwen Frey, developer of Stadia launch puzzle game Kine, told GamesIndustry.biz in recently published comments. "Nobody ever says, 'Oh, it's not going to work,' or 'Streaming isn't the future.' Everyone accepts that streaming is pretty much inevitable. The biggest concern with Stadia is that it might not exist."

While concerns about Stadia working correctly aren't quite as nonexistent as Frey said, early tests show the service works well enough in ideal circumstances. As for the service's continued existence, Frey thinks such concerns among other developers are "kind of silly."

"Working in tech, you have to be willing to make bold moves and try things that could fail," Frey continued. "And yeah, Google's canceled a lot of projects. But I also have a Pixel in my pocket, I'm using Google Maps to get around. I only got here because my Google Calendar told me to get here by giving me a prompt in Gmail. It's not like Google cancels every fucking thing they make."

Google itself has made similar arguments in the past. Stadia Director of Product Andrey Doronichev said in July that Google's commitment to Stadia is comparable to services like Gmail, Docs, Music, Movies, and Photos. "Nothing in life is certain, but we're committed to making Stadia a success... Of course, it's OK to doubt my words. There's nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don't. But what we can do is to launch the service and continue investing in it for years to come."

Elsewhere in the interview, Frey said she sees Google's Stadia launch strategy as a limited one that "is pushing Stadia in a direction to compete with consoles." That means ports of console-style games that don't take full advantage of the power of Stadia's cloud data centers, as Google says future Stadia exclusives may do.

It also means a focus on "territories where there are a lot of consoles and where the Internet is very good, so in the short-term I think it won't reach its potential," Frey said. "I don't even think they want to have a super-strong launch. I get the sense that they want to scale slowly and see where this goes."

In the longer term, though, Frey said she has some undisclosed ideas about how to use Stadia's cloud power for unique experiences in the future. And she said she's excited about the impact cloud gaming could have once high-speed mobile Internet access really goes worldwide.

"I'm not sure what implications this has in a place like Africa, where everything's mobile," she said. "When 6G drops, is this going to suddenly be a big deal? What does this mean for places where everyone goes to Internet cafes, like in Brazil? Who knows."

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
killedbygoogle.com

Killed by Google

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
mildshock.gif

I wouldn't spend a dime on this service at the moment, first because it flies in the face of any sort of personal ownership, and also because it's 100% unproven outside of a confined test environment at this point, and even there it's questionable depending on the game.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Most consumers feel the same. It's why people are cautious buying games on a platform that might not exist in 2 years.

KenyaPSP

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 26, 2019
Damn it really feels like Phil Harrison can't catch a break since leaving Sony.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
So devs got no concrete assurances about how long exactly Google will support Stadia? I guess that explains that 12 games launch lineup.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The headline of the article seems pretty click baity considering the context of what was actually said.

Context is a Stadia dev saying that the biggest worry that people have is that Google will drop it, but Google have been massively successful with a ton of things and that they use Google Maps, Google Phones, Google Calendars etc every day and companies have to take risks on new ideas.

Headline makes it sound like a candid, anonymous "everyone here thinks it's gonna get cancelled".

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
All companies pull the plug on products and services that aren't viable to continue while supporting ones that are

That's the point. Many people don't think streaming is at the point where it would be considered "viable" for google to not can it. It could be eventually, but how long is Google willing to sit in the red until then?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...because they are. Like it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out this is going ti crash and burn

May 17, 2018
"Working in tech, you have to be willing to make bold moves and try things that could fail," Frey continued. "And yeah, Google's canceled a lot of projects. But I also have a Pixel in my pocket, I'm using Google Maps to get around. I only got here because my Google Calendar told me to get here by giving me a prompt in Gmail. It's not like Google cancels every fucking thing they make."

Right, but, with all of those things, Google either made a convincing and attractive case for everyone to adopt it, *or* they were there early enough in the rush to make them that everyone jumped on it first. Those things (phones, email, calendar, map) are also crucial every day functions at this point.

Absolutely none of those factors are in play with Stadia. It's just another, arguably less convenient way to play video games.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I kinda feel sorry for the team Google is putting together to make exclusive games. If they do drop it, that is a lot of people suddenly looking for work.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay $$$ to have Mark Cerny personally deliver my PS5, dont know why people in here are making fun of this poor Google guy /s

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did we have a thread for the quote from Koei Tecmo where they basically said expect technical issues?

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
That's the point. Many people don't think streaming is at the point where it would be considered "viable" for google to not can it. It could be eventually, but how long is Google willing to sit in the red until then?
Isnt everything Google doing in the red besides ads?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I agree with Gwen and the developers who recognize which way the wind is blowing. Posting this from my Android phone.

There's no reason to expect that the service is just gonna die because they're not blowing the doors off at launch. "Google cancels everything" is a meme people latch onto to feel like they're part of something. Everyone gets lonely.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Google was right to start Stadia now since its obvious streaming will eventually be the future and they know that they need to get in now on the ground floor along with competition like Xcloud so when streaming is more mainstream the companies that started earliest will probably control it. However it all depends on Google's willingness to pursue with Stadia in the hard first few years since the market isnt really ready for it yet. And Google of course has a horrible track record of sticking with products, instead choosing to abandon them as soon as they see any trouble or aren't immediately profitable. Google will need to power through that with Stadia in order for it to eventually become successful. And I think Xcloud is in a WAY better position with Microsoft already being established in gaming as one of the Big 3 and owning their own 1st party studios and many IPs, as well as also having a dedicated local hardware console with Xbox to compliment Xcloud. Its definitely an uphill battle for Stadia, with superior competition and all the bad press, but I think Google would be smart to power through it if they have the desire/willpower.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Should probably add it to something people already have like Youtube instead of making it its own thing. People usually don't like installing multiple apps/clients. I'd be interested for Netflix to add a games tab and partner with someone like MS or Sony.

Nov 23, 2017
I agree with Gwen and the developers who recognize which way the wind is blowing. Posting this from my Android phone.

There's no reason to expect that the service is just gonna die because they're not blowing the doors off at launch. "Google cancels everything" is a meme people latch onto to feel like they're part of something. Everyone gets lonely.
Yeah, I don't think "people who don't like Stadia are lonely losers" comes off anything close to as good as you thought it did

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They should be worried.

Both of those companies were proven as platform owners. Not comparable.
Sure I can get that, but PS3 had a shitlaunch out the gate, Nintendo had a shit launch prior to the Switch, and Microsoft had great launch prior to the Xbox One, so once again this doesn't really prove anything because anyone can become a platform owner. As proven by EGS who now owns their own platform to launch games off of, so does Rockstar, so does Ubi, EA.

Stadia isn't a console it's a platform, and almost every platform to have come out ever on PC, or anywhere has had launch issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wonder why....
giphy.gif

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, I don't think "people who don't like Stadia are lonely losers" comes off anything close to as good as you thought it did

Lol not what I said. Some people are wholly against the idea of streaming. That's fine. They'll catch up.

I'm talking about the concern explicitly expressed in the title of this thread, though. It's a meme. It's silly groupthink.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The headline of the article seems pretty click baity considering the context of what was actually said.

Context is a Stadia dev saying that the biggest worry that people have is that Google will drop it, but Google have been massively successful with a ton of things and that they use Google Maps, Google Phones, Google Calendars etc every day and companies have to take risks on new ideas.

Headline makes it sound like a candid, anonymous "everyone here thinks it's gonna get cancelled".
The problem with this idea is that the products she mentions are all things that Google itself developed. Nobody had to invest significant time or resources into those products, but if you want to develop for Stadia you have to spend the time and money to do so.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Lol not what I said. Some people are wholly against the idea of streaming. That's fine. They'll catch up.

I'm talking about the concern explicitly expressed in the title of this thread, though. It's a meme. It's silly groupthink.

Not really, the market pretty much are all in on streaming and cloud- movies, musics, calendar, office suite, etc... It's the necessity/viability of video game streaming plus Google's history of pulling the plug on products that were on mere mild success level that's the problem.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No they weren't. Knack, Killzone, Playroom, Resogun. These were. The entire rest of it was rereleases.

I'm not just singling out PS4, XBO had the exact same problem. Neither console had actual new games almost a year into the cycle.

Just because they had a lot of cross-gen games at launch doesn't mean the games werent new. BF4 launched like 2 weeks late on new gen, the new consoles werent getting year+ old games

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
No they weren't. Knack, Killzone, Playroom, Resogun. These were. The entire rest of it was rereleases.

I'm not just singling out PS4, XBO had the exact same problem. Neither console had actual new games almost a year into the cycle.

Multiplatform games for PS4 launched 1 month after the PS3 version. That's not a "rerelease of an old game". It's a new game. Something like Tomb Raider releasing on Stadia, 6 years after the game came out on other platforms, now that is a rerelease.

So my point still stands, the launch lineup for Stadia is pathetic. And it's possible this is tied to Google's lack of committment to that platform. Because let's face it, those worries are real worries of consumers and developers. So why doesn't Google come out and confirms support for at least a whole generation (=6 years). Because they are going to cancel it if it underperforms. They don't seem to realise that this is not how you establish a new platform.