• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
What does this mean for places where everyone goes to Internet cafes, like in Brazil? Who knows.

Just a small tidbit but this has not been true for Brazil in quite a while. People are mostly on cheap mobile plans now and access to PCs and broadband internet is far more common than before.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Google have plenty of successful things people use in everyday life, the examples given are good examples of that but the difference is that the likes of Gmail, Calendar etc are free to use. There are huge downsides involved for a consumer buying into a streaming service with full price games, if worst case the service was closed or if licensing for games becomes a problem (like it has for MS/Sony) there's no way to, at the very least, download a copy on your own hardware, it's just completely lost.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
"There's nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don't."

If they said "We will refund anyone who has bought games on our streaming service if we discontinue the service" it would go some way to convincing me.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Google will have the wherewithal to stick it out. This seems like a shoddy launch, and with PS Now and xCloud I think Sony and Microsoft are going to divide the pie enough that Google won't want just a slice of a new segment of the gaming market as the underdogs.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what she really said. It's literally in the first paragraph ffs. The circle jerk against Stadia is really tiresome.

Oct 27, 2017
"There's nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don't."

If they said "We will refund anyone who has bought games on our streaming service if we discontinue the service" it would go some way to convincing me.
That would be an insane promise though, especially because they probably will pull the plug eventually.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Did no one read the article? It's actually saying that the Devs that think that are silly. And to all of the people who keeping decrying that google kills everything - the response was " It's not like Google cancels every fucking thing they make." You folks on Era need to wake the fuck up and and reaaaad.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Not really, the market pretty much are all in on streaming. It's the necessity/viability of video game streaming plus Google's history of pulling the plug on products that were on mere mild success level that's the problem.

Eh, the Google graveyard just reads to me like a list of projects that were redundancies from the moment they were announced. This is a far different sort of undertaking than something like Hangouts or whatever else. Scope and ambition seem pretty big. I don't see any reason for them to not let it ride for several years.

I could fully see them never gaining any footing because xCloud and PSNow are coming from established platforms. If they're well executed, and Stadia doesn't produce compelling exclusives in time, they'll probably be ran out of the market. But I don't think "I don't want to port my game because what if Google shuts it down in ~3 years" is a particularly rational concern. I mean, even if they do, you might as well get your game on this marketplace.

Nov 14, 2017
That would be an insane promise though, especially because they probably will pull the plug eventually.
Epic refunded all the money everyone spent on Paragon when they cancelled that. Google absolutely could at least promise to refund game purchases, but maybe not subscription revenue to Stadia Pro.

Basically, Google has to be prepared for a few years of slow growth while they build trust. I know I won't spend money on it in the first couple of years at least.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Just mentioning the fact this service might be shut down one day would be a disastrous PR. Imagine if back in 2013 when everyone was freaking out about consoles dying Sony said any game purchased on the PS4 would be refunded if they shut down Playstation. People wouldn't be assured, they'd be paranoid.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Just mentioning the fact this service might be shut down one day would be a disastrous PR. Imagine if back in 2013 when everyone was freaking out about consoles dying Sony said any game purchased on the PS4 would be refunded if they shut down Playstation. People wouldn't be assured, they'd be paranoid.
I mean... steam said this, and they seem fine

senj

Nov 6, 2017
But I don't think "I don't want to port my game because what if Google shuts it down in ~3 years" is a particularly rational concern. I mean, even if they do, you might as well get your game on this marketplace.
Not sure this follows -- porting has non-zero costs because you have to pay the salaries of the software developers who do the ports. If you're looking at potentially publishing an older game on Stadia you're probably assuming that the sales will follow a long-tail distribution (rather than a huge bump up front like you'd see with a new title), and it could be perfectly rational to conclude that the chance of Stadia shutting down before the sales pay off the cost of the port is too high for it to be worth the risk.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This is what I've been hearing among friends in different studios / teams.

Been relaying that worry to folks, including friends at Google, in the hopes that they can figure out how to counter such issues but... well, we'll see heh

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not sure what implications this has in a place like Africa, where everything's mobile," she said. "When 6G drops, is this going to suddenly be a big deal? What does this mean for places where everyone goes to Internet cafes, like in Brazil? Who knows."
oh fuck right off
seriously
fuck off and don't ever come back

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... steam said this, and they seem fine
because steam has a demonstrated record of creating features and full blown programs and then closing shop to go focus on other shit?

Did no one read the article? It's actually saying that the Devs that think that are silly. And to all of the people who keeping decrying that google kills everything - the response was " It's not like Google cancels every fucking thing they make." You folks on Era need to wake the fuck up and and reaaaad.
she's saying the devs that think that are silly. The devs who maybe have more investment or can't easily pick up and move to mobile are sweating it out, while she's shielding herself in optimism.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdest thing is the response is little more that "shit happens". That is the striking part

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Damn it really feels like Phil Harrison can't catch a break since leaving Sony.

Eventually, you have to come to the conclusion, that no circumstances, bad communication, or the market is at fault, but the guy himself.

Let's look at his timeline:
Left Sony after the disastrous PS3 launch
Got into Atari when they had issues and couldn't change the inevitable
Left Microsoft after the disastrous XBOne launch

Either he
- is at no fault at all and the universe is conspiring against him...
- completely mismanages his teams and the direction of his division
- always makes bad choices when it comes to his employment

When I see Phil Harrison mentioned, competence and the ability to deliver a viable and competitive product doesn't come into my mind.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Would you say the same about the 20 game lineup that Xbox One and PS4 had?
Yeah, same thing. PS had already 3 consoles in its portfolio with over 300 millions sold and a continuing support since 1994, and XBox had 2 with over 100 millions and a decade of support behind. Precisely the same I'd say

Nov 23, 2017
Just because people think the article and quotes are untrue or disagree doesn't mean they didn't read it. I read clearly that this dev has an opinion on Google products and yeah its true they don't cancel everything...duh, ok so what? No one says google does not have products it made and people use. But how does that convince me to buy into Stadia when you have to pay 60 for a game when gmail and google maps are FREE? Its a totally irrelevant comparison that seems really desperate.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote an oft-reposted argument about how the Google Graveyard is super-exaggerated and that site that is commonly linked to is complete bull shit. The Google Graveyard site is bull shit.

But over the last 3 months my optimism towards Stadia has turned, as Google seems to be started to treat it like they do their forgotten children. Weird messaging, really lousy launch lineup, inconsistent follow through on earlier promises, seemingly cutting back scope, etc.

I was so blown away by the tech in Google's Project Stream, and impressed with how they described the technology and some of the unique aspects of Stadia (the controller connecting directly to your instance of the game, for instance), that I was happy to be optimistic about it. But, now ... I'm pessimistic about it. Just seems like they're really bungling this launch more and more.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Just because people think the article and quotes are untrue or disagree doesn't mean they didn't read it. I read clearly that this dev has an opinion on Google products and yeah its true they don't cancel everything...duh, ok so what? No one says google does not have products it made and people use. But how does that convince me to buy into Stadia when you have to pay 60 for a game when gmail and google maps are FREE? Its a totally irrelevant comparison that seems really desperate.
Those are two different things. Whether you buy it or not is up to you. Whether they kill it or not is also different. Equating the two is obnoxiously wrong. Google simply won't kill Stadia because a microcosm of gamers will not purchase Stadia games. Also, Stadia has an infrastructure of servers and Edge Nodes that Google has invested in not only for Stadia but for possibly other endeavors to compete against AWS and Azure.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
And people felt Steam could shut down when they said that?
In Steam's early days, with the Half Life 2 launch, people were enormously concerned that if and when Steam shut down the loss of access to their DRM servers would render their purchases useless, yes.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
because steam has a demonstrated record of creating features and full blown programs and then closing shop to go focus on other shit?

she's saying the devs that think that are silly. The devs who maybe have more investment or can't easily pick up and move to mobile are sweating it out, while she's shielding herself in optimism.
Yeah I don't understand the defense force for this. This is an actual concern and while it may not be a concern worth having, Google hasn't been doing a good job of responding to those concerns beyond "don't worry, we've got a lot planned" while stumbling to deliver SDKs and such.

Calling devs silly for being worried isn't doing anything to alleviate their concerns.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
And people bought that promise? When a company goes bankrupt, customers refunds are among the last debts to be honored

We won't be given refunds, we'll be given DRMless copies of our games. Since Stadia is streaming I don't think that would be possible on their front, so a refund would be the next best thing. They should offer insurances on one or the other at least.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
And people bought that promise? When a company goes bankrupt, customers refunds are among the last debts to be honored
Valve didn't actually say they'd refund everyone. What they said to reassure everyone was that if they ever shut down, they'd release a final version that disabled their DRM checks, so that people could continue to run their existing purchases indefinitely.

The situation is obviously a little different from Stadia because you can retain and run purchases locally.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd be interested to know as well, but do you really think rockstar agreed to have DRM free RDR2 out there if steam went tits up? I just don't see it.

DRM as far as needing Valve/Steam. You'd still have to go through rockstar's servers since they have their own system. Anything with "3rd party DRM" would still go through that DRM if it still existed too.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I think streaming as an add on service to Live or PSN is a great idea. Buying a game digitally allows you to stream to any device from anywhere. A streaming only solution......I don't like it. I don't like where it could lead.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Would you say the same about the 20 game lineup that Xbox One and PS4 had?

You've been getting a lot of response to this post and I apologize for piling on but - the real key difference here is if Day 2 of X1 and PS4, MS and Sony both said "Fuck this we done", you would still have your console and your 20 games each until they die a physical death.

If, next week, Google says "Fuck this", and you bought all 12 launch titles, you have nothing at all. And you might say this is just digital v. physical, but every other digital service has an offline mode you can leave on as you like even if their service did go down. Stadia has no safety net and that's a big deal for people's money.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
killedbygoogle.com

Killed by Google

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.
Ugh, reminder that Google killed Trips when I was in Mexico City, on the first day of the trip when I had all my planned destinations and routes and it was my first time there. I literally opened trips and had a heart attack when the deprecated message came up. Thank god my list was still there, just not my routes.