• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Google wants to be the first big player in the streaming business. It makes sense for them to invest a lot of money, as it will be the future of gaming in my opinion (also with 5G coming, having streamed games on the go etc.)
Of course it could be that google will shut it down after a few years, but not if they are leading the market at that time. I am not entirely familiar with their products which where quickly killed but in case of google plus for example they where trying to compete in an already existing market of social networks. At that time customers already made the choice to go to facebook, twitter or other chanels.
In the case of google glass there were technical restrictions if I remember correctly and it got a good backlash because of privacy concerns (rightfully). Other cancelled products seemed to be rather small in investment.
The streaming market is new terrain, there is only small fish right now. They offer the best value for money right now and will automatically take the lead in the (somewhat small) market. In 2020, when the product "really" launches, they could have more in the pipeline and show users the benefits of streaming and by this time, place themselves at the head in the race of the emerging streaming-market. They have enough time as competitors like MS will enter the market late 2020/2021.
So overall I don't see them cancelling their service early in the game.
I don't like google at all, because I value my privacy, but I don't see any problems in this regard with streaming so I will give it a try.
Still play in full-hd so I will just get the free service and cyberpunk when it comes along the way.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Not worth 500$ to me, I don't need to play game's 24/7 and my internet hasn't gone down once this year
Have you ever considered the xbox one x payment plan?( theres a scarlett upgrade path too). It's 35 bucks a month for the console, game pass, and xbox live. So you get hardware, 100+ games you can play at any time, games with gold too, and you can redbox/rent/gamefly games whenever you want, so you could finish songle player campaigns of new games in a weekend for like 3 dollars. Probably even cheaper in the long run, and you end up with actual hardware.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever considered the xbox one x payment plan?( theres a scarlett upgrade path too). It's 35 bucks a month for the console, game pass, and xbox live. So you get hardware, 100+ games you can play at any time, games with gold too, and you can redbox/rent/gamefly games whenever you want, so you could finish songle player campaigns of new games in a weekend for like 3 dollars. Probably even cheaper in the long run, and you end up with actual hardware.
You serious? That would cost even more than just buying a console

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
"I don't even think they want to have a super strong launch."

thats a stupid fuckin quote and makes me take everything else she said with a huge grain of salt.

Exactly. Also, this is the real reason devs are apprehensive. If Google had invested a billion or two in acquiring studios or building new ones, and spent hundreds of mils financing exclusive AAA games for a "super strong" Stadia launch, they would have shown they were invested in Stadia and serious about the longterm.

Instead, they went with Gylt and Baldur Gate 3...

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You serious? That would cost even more than just buying a console
Over the years though you'll spend way less on games via game pass, and being able to rent games or buy them used, plus you'll have a console you can sell when you're done with it.

Idk, id rather pay $35 a month to play a shit load of games on actual hardware than pay 10$ a month and buy $60 games and not own anything.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Over the years though you'll spend way less on games via game pass, and being able to rent games or buy them used, plus you'll have a console you can sell when you're done with it.

Idk, id rather pay $35 a month to play a shit load of games on actual hardware than pay 10$ a month and buy $60 games and not own anything.
Gamepass doesn't get every game and there's only 2-3 microsoft exclusives I care about, even gamepass in its current state only has games I've already played or ones I don't care to play, I would still have to buy games

you don't have to pay 10$ to use stadia, I buy games to play them not to own them so I don't care what others consider as ownership

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers, FF VII, pyschonauts 2, dying light 2, ooblets, doom eternal, nioh 2, plenty more those are just off the top of my head
Ff7 is exclusive to PS4 for an unknown amount of time (I'm buying that)

avengers is coming to stadia (not interested though)

doom eternal is coming to stadia (slight interest)

physconauts 2, dying light 2 not interested

ooblets never even heard of it

nioh 2, didn't like the first one so probably won't get that

cyberpunk is on stadia (very much interested)

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
It's all fun and games before someone does a couple of emotes too many somewhere and has their Google citizenship permanently revoked without effective appeal oversight. Why would you have any financial investment trust whatsoever in a company that does that?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Ff7 is exclusive to PS4 for an unknown amount of time (I'm buying that)

avengers is coming to stadia (not interested though)

doom eternal is coming to stadia (slight interest)

physconauts 2, dying light 2 not interested

ooblets never even heard of it

nioh 2, didn't like the first one so probably won't get that
Right, I'm just saying if you're only interested in one game that's coming out next year, you're definitely the target audience for this.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
And how does that make the title inaccurate?

I mean, stadia launch dev game makers are worried that Google is just going to cancel it, right? She just thinks its silly, but the worry are there. And she said it herself.
It's misleading. How can you not see it? The point of the piece was how inane it is for other Devs to be worried with anecdetoal and experiential evidenceb staying why not. The point of this thread is sensationalism and couch baity.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You play a lot but youre only looking forward to two games on Stadia, one that came out over a year ago, and another that's not out until next year. Lol ok

If you are satisfied with the image quality and latency that Stadia offers and you have an Xbox or a PS4, and you want to play a game like Cyberpunk, it is perfectly reasonable to buy the game there instead of playing it on a worst performing platform. Little by little that is how change happens, no one os obliged to cut off consoles and gaming PCs completely and just decide on case by case basis when the games on Stadia will have either higher graphics settings or features that are not on consoles or PC. This also goes for the Stadia exclusives that will be released.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its actually kind of hilarious to me that she just assumes it will be the future, whereas there's still no clear vision of what game streaming will actually be. Sure streaming has taken off for tv and film, but that's because the pricing model is actually functional.

Google seems to have a plan to sell the games. That's just not desirable in a streaming service IMO. If they really want the type of success streaming could actually reach, it needs to be a monthly subscription fee that includes the content, not expects that as an additional payment. What they're going for is only ever going to remain very niche if you're paying just as much as before, yet now have to deal with the inherent issues of streaming and the chance Google may get bored of it.

Last edited:

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
At the very least digital games are actually on your hardware. Even if something is delisted, so long as I have it downloaded somewhere I'm still good.
Yep, but do you actually own something that can disappear forever if your hardware that you play it on dies?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, but do you actually own something that can disappear forever if your hardware that you play it on dies?

It's debatable.

Though at the very least, things like that can usually be backed up and stored elsewhere.

With Streaming if a game is delisted, it's gone. You can't ever access it again.

Edit: According to the article above they will let you access delisted games but consider me skeptical until it actually happens.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Its actually kind of hilarious to me that he just assumes it will be the future, whereas there's still no clear vision of what game streaming will actually be. Sure streaming has taken off for tv and film, but that's because the pricing model is actually functional.

He?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's debatable.

Though at the very least, things like that can usually be backed up and stored elsewhere.

With Streaming if a game is delisted, it's gone. You can't ever access it again.

Edit: According to the article above they will let you access delisted games but consider me skeptical until it actually happens.
You should realize there's people that don't care about losing their games even if it did ever happen, I've lost acces to a lot of games over 30 years and i really didn't care, I already played them and got my money's worth out of them

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Right, and when it comes to digital copies you download them to your hardware and you have them to play. It's there on your HDD and plays on your hardware.

How much ownership do you have when your streaming service ends?
None. That's the point. I have zero ownership of my digital games either if they choose to stop hosting them. Technically I "own" Destiny, but if they ever shut down those servers, I go from owning a game to simply owning the disc it came on.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed that for you. I can count 15+ 2020 titles I'm interested in right now, and im sure theres a bunch of shit thats not even announced yet, we are getting new consoles next year after all
Stuff that isn't announced will most likely come to stadia, like when avengers was announced for example and I'm talking about 3rd party Non exclusive games not all games

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know when they are upgrading to scarlet we also don't know if scarlet is stronger, we also don't know if Microsoft will allow server stacking like google either
We can take a pretty good guess at this point though. They're all using the same chip source, only Google got theirs a year or more earlier. Google also hasn't exactly displayed "server stacking" yet, just talked about it, and they're not the first company to string several instances of the same console together. Gran Turismo did that with PS2s. The only thing they have is their internal network and data store, and MS have been all in on closing that gap for a while now.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can take a pretty good guess at this point though. They're all using the same chip source, only Google got theirs a year or more earlier. Google also hasn't exactly displayed "server stacking" yet, just talked about it, and they're not the first company to string several instances of the same console together. Gran Turismo did that with PS2s. The only thing they have is their internal network and data store, and MS have been all in on closing that gap for a while now.
We don't know anything about xcloud except that it runs on Xbox ones, everything beyond that is a guess

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You should realize there's people that don't care about losing their games even if it did ever happen, I've lost acces to a lot of games over 30 years and i really didn't care, I already played them and got my money's worth out of them

I mean that's just you. I know plenty of people who would hate to lose their games.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Stuff that isn't announced will most likely come to stadia, like when avengers was announced for example and I'm talking about 3rd party Non exclusive games not all games
Im not saying none of it is coming to stadia. Im saying that I listed a bunch of games off the top of my head and you said you werent interested on any of them. That doesnt mean there arent games coming out, just because you aren't interested in them.

My point still stands that you seems to not want to spend a lot of money, and dont play a lot of games, hence only being interested in one 2020 title, making you the perfect audience for stadia, which is awesome for you! Not really sure what we're arguing about.

Feb 10, 2018
One benifit of this is that maybe it shows that Google is not evil, if they were they would use, Google search, youtube, Gmail and android to vastly favour stadia, but that does not seem to be the case.