• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The dev quoted in the article, Gwen Frey, is calling out the article for taking the comments out of context. I don't think the article completely misrepresents what was said, but it does reframe them in the worst, clickbaity way.

He has other comments too like talking about only releasing it to certain regions and only letting people use it that buy the founders and premier edition so the servers can scale

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All companies pull the plug on products and services that aren't viable to continue while supporting ones that are

problem is stadia is entirely online. this isn't like sony stopping the support of the vita. where it and it's games still work regardless of sony developing for the platform or manufacturing consoles. if google decide they no longer want to be in the games industry 2 years down the line (which history indicates they will) every consumer loses everything. this wouldn't matter if stadia was a sub based system akin to gamepass but with streaming. because it's ultimately only a rental. much like netflix. no-one is going to lose sleep if netflix died tomorrow. but you can bet your ass they would if netflix was a digital streaming storefront.

i honestly think stadia needs to change if it want's to be even remotely popular.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft xcloud isn't a windows pc either, it's a 6 year old Xbox one

That's not exactly true, or at least not representative of what the service will be like in about a year.

xCloud runs on Azure on servers made specifically for this service. The servers contain X1S hardware.
Due to the nature of how cloud datacenters like Azure work, servers can be easily be upgraded to offer "Scarlett" compatibility in the future.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not exactly true, or at least not representative of what the service will be like in about a year.

xCloud runs on Azure on servers made specifically for this service. The server contain X1S hardware.
Due to the nature of how cloud datacenters like Azure work, servers can be easily be upgraded to offer "Scarlett" compatibility in the future.
Thanks for quoting that it's X1S hardware like i just said and not a windows pc

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Stadia is DOA, imagine paying 10 dollars a month to purchase full price TV shows and stream them on youtube at 4k. Absolutely bonkers.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for quoting that it's X1S hardware like i just said and not a windows pc

I made sure your disingenuous post didn't go uncorrected, luckily many other people did as well, so it's all sorted.

Also, Xbox OS is windows based, so on top of everything else you're also technically incorrect.

It is in fact a closed-garden Windows PC.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I made sure your disingenuous post didn't go uncorrected, luckily many other people did as well, so it's all sorted.

Also, Xbox OS is windows based, so on top of everything else you're also technically incorrect.

It is in fact a closed-garden Windows PC.
Games have to be ported to Xbox it's not the same as a windows pc like the person was saying

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with that. But I didn't buy a nice ass 4k TV and sound system to pay a subscription fee to play compressed artifacted video and lossy audio with added input latency.
You're not the market.
And btw the audio wouldnt be lossy, input latency could be better on Stadia if game runs in 60fps than on consoles, like for example Assasins Creed and you already play games on consoles with artifacted video when studios use reconstruction techniques and upscaling for 4k.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Games have to be ported to Xbox it's not the same as a windows pc like the person was saying

Also untrue, UWP games work on Windows 10 & Xbox without any porting needed (apart from porting to UWP in the first place, so that's something at least?)

Another mistake you made ~ you said 6 year old hardware, whereas the actual X1S hardware in xCloud servers is 3 years old.

Having said all that, in essence, your point is valid :D

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also untrue, UWP games work on Windows 10 & Xbox without any porting needed (apart from porting to UWP in the first place, so that's something at least?)

Another mistake you made ~ you said 6 year old hardware, whereas the actual X1S hardware in xCloud servers is 3 years old.

Having said all that, in essence, your point is valid :D
X1S is based on Xbox one hardware which is 6 years old then there's barely any difference

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You're not the market.
And btw the audio wouldnt be lossy, input latency could be better on Stadia if game runs in 60fps than on consoles, like for example Assasins Creed and you already play games on consoles with artifacted video when studios use reconstruction techniques and upscaling for 4k.
Let's not even pretend a CB 4k game doesn't look leaps and bounds better than a 4k youtube video lol. The fuck am I even reading. As for the latency, I'll believe it when I see it. I expect it will be bad, but the new google platform warriors will be spouting some "human eye can't see above 720p" levels of nonsense. That digital foundry test was done on a 200mb connection, with the stadia controller over wifi, on a laptop screen which couldnt measure display latency. Plus I would never play an Assassin's Creed game on a console with that much latency tbh, way past a deal breaker for me personally. And the audio will absolutely be compressed and lossy. They arent streaming uncompressed audio lol.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
X1S is based on Xbox one hardware which is 6 years old then there's barely any difference

Still, there's a difference, and it's newer hardware.

It's hardly worth discussing, I just mentioned in in passing on top of everything else.

As I said, it's still unreasonable to expect all current PC games to easily be ported to cloud based services.

Unless you're using Geforce Now, which does exactly that, as far as I can tell having used it briefly.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the context of the article headline, the general principle remains the same. I am hoping that Google is able to secure more faith from devs.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still, there's a difference, and it's newer hardware.

It's hardly worth discussing, I just mentioned in in passing on top of everything else.

As I said, it's still unreasonable to expect all current PC games to easily be ported to cloud based services.

Unless you're using Geforce Now, which does exactly that, as far as I can tell having used it briefly.
That's because GeForce now is a windows PC limited to what stores are allowed on it though

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This right here is a reason why further discussion doesnt make sense. Its not youtube.
It's a video stream. A video stream, especially when there is a lot of movement and fast paced action, is gonna be heavily artifacted in busy scenes, rain for instance. If you think Stadia is going to have substantially better bitrate and IQ than 4k video streaming does currently, I dont know wht to tell you.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
That's because GeForce now is a windows PC limited to what stores are allowed on it though

Well yeah, how else were they gonna do it.

It's probably my favorite solution of the four I'm aware of (PSNow, xCloud, Stadia, Geforce Now).

Just play games you already own or plan to buy on other storefronts in the future.
Then pay the streaming provider some sub fee and that's it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, how else were they gonna do it.

It's probably my favorite solution of the four I'm aware of (PSNow, xCloud, Stadia, Geforce Now).

Just play games you already own or plan to buy on other storefronts in the future.
Then pay the streaming provider some sub fee and that's it.
I have GeForce now, only reason I'm more interested in stadia is because they are the only ones that have said they will offer a free version, it's also the only one that offers 4k atm

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It's a video stream. A video stream, especially when there is a lot of movement and fast paced action, is gonna be heavily artifacted in busy scenes, rain for instance. If you think Stadia is going to have substantially better bitrate and IQ than 4k video streaming does currently, I dont know wht to tell you.
Go and read people impressions from other streaming platforms and see the screengrabs.
YT bitrate is laughable in comparison to many video streaming services let alone services designed for cloud gaming.

Regarding latency, this is from their competitor:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Go and read people impressions from other streaming platforms and see the screengrabs.
YT bitrate is laughable in comparison to many video streaming services let alone services designed for cloud gaming.

Regarding latency, this is from their competitor:
Ive already read plenty of impressions. Also saw a bunch of people, including digital foundry, say they noticed significant compression artifacts.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone who thinks Google is going to drop this in two or three years after investing as much time and treasure as they have into it is out of their mind.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Anyone who thinks Google is going to drop this in two or three years after investing as much time and treasure as they have into it is out of their mind.
I do think they have invested a lot of money into it but you can't blame people because Google cancels stuff all the time. They are one of the biggest companies on this earth. They sure have invested a lot but cancelling even this I wouldn't put past them.

how does that saying go...throw shit at a wall and...i forget

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think google will abandon this project but I do think shitty ISP"S and datacaps will hold this thing back.

I'm a big physical games guy but...streaming is going to be a big part of the future of gaming whether I like it or not

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is this "developers" I.e. the 1000s of people that work on various parts of games or is this the management that makes the business decisions. It kind of feels like the former

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I don't think google will abandon this project but I do think shitty ISP"S and datacaps will hold this thing back.

I'm a big physical games guy but...streaming is going to be a big part of the future of gaming whether I like it or not
definitely they will hold it back but not the entire world has shitty ISPs and datacaps. my ISP has a particular internet package dedicated to gaming and none of their products ... or even any ISP here has datacaps. Those only exist on mobile.

A lot of countries across europe will use Stadia a lot. In the US? can't really see it taking off.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
definitely they will hold it back but not the entire world has shitty ISPs and datacaps. my ISP has a particular internet package dedicated to gaming and none of their products ... or even any ISP here has datacaps. Those only exist on mobile.

A lot of countries across europe will use Stadia a lot. In the US? can't really see it taking off.

Yeah I can definitely see it being an amazing experience if you have great internet. The US is just so damn spotty. I have cats I work with interested...but they have crazy low data caps. I only live 30 minutes from some of these people and have 10 times better internet. Good internet is hit or miss here it seems

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Brushing those concerns off as silly is pretty silly in itself. Google have shown time and time again that they don't care about pulling the plug on a project and unlike a PC store like Steam or EGS there won't be any contingency if they do because once they take the servers down that's it.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
That reputation for Google didn't come out of no where. It exists for a reason. It's no one's fault but Google. If they want to get rid of that reputation, they have to prove it and that's going to take a while. This is the fallback of Google cancelling services left and right.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine having to buy 500$ hardware just so you can buy games and having to pay monthly to play online
I never want to accuse anyone of being a corporate shill or anything but you make it really hard not too. Google doesn't need you to come to their defense in every single Stadia thread. They're not your friend, you don't need to do their work for them.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never want to accuse anyone of being a corporate shill or anything but you make it really hard not too. Google doesn't need you to come to their defense in every single Stadia thread. They're not your friend, you don't need to do their work for them.
And not everyone needs to come into every stadia thread to bash it

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think developing this tech over the years they've been working on it has been free? Do you think all the hardware they're installing in data centers to run the games is free?
To be fair it seems like their sales and marketing side hasn't gone all in. 3 of 12 games are tombraider. I would have thought they would be more all in with more games if not some exclusives

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
People have every right to be worried about Stadia's future prognosis. If this thing doesn't pan out all of your $60 games go *poof*.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
To be fair it seems like their sales and marketing side hasn't gone all in. 3 of 12 games are tombraider. I would have thought they would be more all in with more games if not some exclusives
Supposedly they're supporting Uplay+ at some point so I'm not too surprised they're part of it. I'm also half expecting at least one of them to be one of the 'Pro' "free" games at some point.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Google will absolutely cancel it. It's just how Google operates. It's like they're all in it for the chase, then get bored after a while and move on.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The idea that Google being likely to kill Stadia is the worst thing you can say about Stadia is some pretty heavy tunnel vision any way you look at it. Hopefully small outfits like this don't take it too hard on the chin if things go south quickly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly they're supporting Uplay+ at some point so I'm not too surprised they're part of it. I'm also half expecting at least one of them to be one of the 'Pro' "free" games at some point.
"Somepoint", " we have ideas", "we are talking about it", etc common things heard in ever Stadia interview. They really should have been more on point than this. They are a data company, how have they not learned from previous video game missteps?