• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
lol, so close.

trsHCyV.png

Also interesting:
q3zGYQg.png

Last edited:

Andrain18

Apr 19, 2018
Orange County CA
Need some help here if anyone had any advice. Bought a Stadia FE off Craigslist. knew it didn't come with the Access code but needed a chrome-cast anyway so got the bundle for cheap. That said does anyone have a recommendation how i could get an access code?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Need some help here if anyone had any advice. Bought a Stadia FE off Craigslist. knew it didn't come with the Access code but needed a chrome-cast anyway so got the bundle for cheap. That said does anyone have a recommendation how i could get an access code?
You can't without ordering a premium edition, by next week though Buddy codes should go out so maybe you can get one

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Not really, but you could always sit tight for a week or two and people will start to get their Buddy Passes that they can hand out. I'm sure a few nice people won't know anyone who really wants one.
EDIT: Beaten by mere seconds!

Andrain18

Apr 19, 2018
Orange County CA
Thanks for the update. kind of a bummer but might just have to sit tight. Also have to say the controller actually feels damn good. almost like a nice blending of the DS4 and Xbox One controller

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I got a 3 metre USB-C cable so that i could hook my Stadia controller up to the PC. My PC sits behind my main TV, and my preferred way to play is via the Chrome browser in Windows. Its a 1080p TV so I don't give a monkeys about 4k and all that jazz.

Played a bunch of Metro Exodus, it ran flawlessly throughout the 3 hour session, other than a little bit of macro-blocking very near the start (D2 had macro-blocking at about the same time the previous evening, so I wonder if its a spot of congestion at the exchange?). There was also no detectable input lag at all. The service continues to be at least technically impressive, even if the marketing and communication sides have been a mess.

I then tried to play some Steam games using the controller - sadly it's not recognised as a 360/XB1 controller, so games didn't recognise any inputs.
That's a bummer. I've never had much luck with Xinput emulators, so I guess I'll switch back to my XB1 pad for now, and just keep an eye on how things develop over time.

Buddy passes are releasing

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Hey @everyone,

Surprise! Buddy passes have begun rolling out as of 4:30 PM PST today, November 26th.

To send your Buddy Pass and get your chosen friend or enemy gaming on Stadia, open the Stadia app and tap the envelope icon in the top-left. Follow the prompts and give the gift of Stadia today!

Please note that as soon as you tap "Send your Buddy Pass," you will receive a copy of your Buddy Pass code in your e-mail inbox, just in case you need it again later. To learn more, check out our latest tweet: https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1199485493802483712

- GraceFromGoogle & the Stadia Team

My pass is there

Users can requests refunds for Tomb Raider and Farming Simulator

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I don't know if it was posted on the other thread about the Pro December games, but:

• We know that some users have recently purchased these two games for their collection. Because of the proximity between the launch of the platform, and the announcement of these titles in Stadia Pro, we're happy to assist you if you'd like to request a refund if you have purchased either or both of these titles, even if it's outside of our normal policy

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
So the buddy passes for Stadia are issuing. If I give my pass to a friend, is the web browser the only way they will be able to access the service?

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Founders Edition on Monday and gave it a good spin on my TV with D2 and SamSho. Bad news first; Chromecast Ultra fucking sucks, easily the biggest piece of shit hardware I've ever set up. Click on the spoiler to read through my in-depth rant.
You have to run the initial setup on your smartphone through Google Home app that also sucks balls. My aim was to use ethernet cable right from to start but tough luck, somehow you need to use Wifi. Okay, let's use it and go through the agonizing setup that make's you zigzag through your TV, Google Home App and Stadia app. Finally it was over and then I go searching for a way to switch to ethernet...but there's none? Googling reveals that the only way to do it is to reset the whole thing, fucking really? In hopes of finding an easier way to let ethernet kick in I tried disabling Wifi from my router and when it didn't work I denied CCU's MAC adress from my Wifi, but that just completely barred any access to it. So I enabled the access again, booted router, TV and CCU (plugged out every cable) and then proceeded to "forget the Wifi" from CCU. Then it forced a reset and required a new setup...I grinded my teeth and started another round. I yet again disabled my Wifi from the router but the son of a bitch still required it during the setup. I cancelled the setup, removed only the power cord directly from CCU, plugged it back in and then after a while it finally connected to Stadia automatically through ethernet. After playing a while I closed Stadia and then I was able to access CCU's settings through the Google Home App. Somehow it showed the correct IP address (ethernet connection) but only the MAC address for Wifi. It didn't even pop up in my router's DHCP table and gave me quite the trouble finding it. At last I checked my network's traffic stats and there it was with it's Ethernet MAC address allowing me to finally configure it properly. Phew, when that was settled I realized there's no way to put it on standby let alone shut it off. A tiny dangling piece of dung that runs hotter than my PS4 Pro even when not in use is rather distressing.
Then to good news, playing Stadia on my 4K TV through CCU (with Stadia controller) is exceeding all my expectations. I posted here earlier expressing my concerns whether Stadia will perform as bad on CCU as it does on my laptop introducing massive input lag making other than Limited settings unplayable. I'm happy to report that is not the case, I get Excellent connection with Best visual settings and HDR enabled all the while CCU is favoring resolution over performance. No stuttering, visual glitches, pixelation or any other problems, just a flawless stream. I'm very sensitive to input lag and while it's apparent on the big screen, everything's still perfectly playable when the TV is in Game Mode with all the post processing disabled. The only thing I'm concerned with is the audio lag that's pretty bad. I got it to reasonable levels by disabling PCM and all the audio processing (+ audio/video syncing) from my TV but it's definitely still there. My connection is 250/100mbps fiber, median ping to Google's only datacenter here in Finland is ~26ms, TV's Sony XE90 65". Got Cambridge Audio DacMagic plus connected to my TV via optical cable and had my Sennheiser HD598 headphones connected to it through the whole test.

If Borderlands 3 runs at least 1440p 60fps I'm buying it without hesitation, this shit right here is way too good to be true. Though I'm not a big fan of Google and can't stand Android and absolutely loathe CCU, it's very very hard not to like Stadia even after all the problems surrounding it's launch. I think it would have been wiser to launch Stadia with the free tier capping every game to run 1080p 60fps while being truly playable on every screen able to run Chrome (excluding iOS because it would have been impossible on this launch window due to Apple being so stubborn with codecs). Founders Edition could have been only the controller (with the option to connect to Wifi on any screen) bundled with a free game + the benefit of reserving your name before free users. Google should have also provided all the specs required for the hardware (screens) and/or a hardware test tool and a proper network connection test.
But it's too late now, the marketing talk and grandiose slogans are out there and Google won't change their stance (seeing how they handled the criticsm towards the 4K 60fps promise). The current model is way too hardware dependent no matter how you're playing, for example it's clear my laptop is way too old to stream anything other than the lowest quality.

tl;dr CCU and the whole Stadia on TV setup sucks, there's a lot to improve in order to make Stadia a seamless and full experience. But all in all it plays perfectly on TV through CCU with the Stadia controller (with an altogether good internet connection and the right settings on your TV and CCU). Input lag is not your enemy, but audio lag might be. You can call me a sucker, but now I truly believe in this tech and will eagerly expect what's next. This can only get better!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my buddy pass. Good news for new free game's. If it's 1-2 each month it makes pro offer better.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Got my Founders Edition on Monday and gave it a good spin on my TV with D2 and SamSho. Bad news first; Chromecast Ultra fucking sucks, easily the biggest piece of shit hardware I've ever set up. Click on the spoiler to read through my in-depth rant.

The solution is to configure your Chromecast to stream photos of family/loved ones/etc from your Google Photos account to your screen as an ambient display. I guarantee your love for the device will increase.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
So I got mine yesterday and played some D2

I have 1gig fibre and really didn't notice any major input lag on my monitor and my 4k oled

I'm pretty impressed to be honest.

I am VERY wary of the CCU though. That shit got really damn hot after not even 30 mins of Destiny.

I do feel like this could be my platform of choice soon, the convenience factor is huge.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My delivery guy tried to deliver my hardware to the wrong house so I didn't get my delivery yesterday. DHL are trying again today. Damn!

Been playing a ton of Destiny via a desktop Windows PC and a Macbook Pro and both really great though. Feels great to move my console characters over and suddenly play at 60fps with dead quick load times.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any kind of suspend mode or anything with Stadia? I get that it loads almost instantly but I'm just wondering if you launch a game and see the title screen every time or do you return to where you left off.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Is there any kind of suspend mode or anything with Stadia? I get that it loads almost instantly but I'm just wondering if you launch a game and see the title screen every time or do you return to where you left off.
from what I've seen the session keeps running for 15 mins after you disconnect. After that it's gone. So if you log in before that it's like you just get back to your computer that's still running.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

At the moment it will boot up every time you start it, but I believe that state share etc. is a planned feature. (not sure here) But if you get disconnected or switch the screen, you will instantly get at the same position as you left (if you didn't "quit" the app before) as your game session will remain active for 15 minutes before it gets shutdown.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
You have to run the initial setup on your smartphone through Google Home app that also sucks balls. My aim was to use ethernet cable right from to start but tough luck, somehow you need to use Wifi. Okay, let's use it and go through the agonizing setup that make's you zigzag through your TV, Google Home App and Stadia app. Finally it was over and then I go searching for a way to switch to ethernet...but there's none? Googling reveals that the only way to do it is to reset the whole thing, fucking really? In hopes of finding an easier way to let ethernet kick in I tried disabling Wifi from my router and when it didn't work I denied CCU's MAC adress from my Wifi, but that just completely barred any access to it. So I enabled the access again, booted router, TV and CCU (plugged out every cable) and then proceeded to "forget the Wifi" from CCU. Then it forced a reset and required a new setup...I grinded my teeth and started another round. I yet again disabled my Wifi from the router but the son of a bitch still required it during the setup. I cancelled the setup, removed only the power cord directly from CCU, plugged it back in and then after a while it finally connected to Stadia automatically through ethernet. After playing a while I closed Stadia and then I was able to access CCU's settings through the Google Home App. Somehow it showed the correct IP address (ethernet connection) but only the MAC address for Wifi. It didn't even pop up in my router's DHCP table and gave me quite the trouble finding it. At last I checked my network's traffic stats and there it was with it's Ethernet MAC address allowing me to finally configure it properly. Phew, when that was settled I realized there's no way to put it on standby let alone shut it off. A tiny dangling piece of dung that runs hotter than my PS4 Pro even when not in use is rather distressing.
Then to good news, playing Stadia on my 4K TV through CCU (with Stadia controller) is exceeding all my expectations. I posted here earlier expressing my concerns whether Stadia will perform as bad on CCU as it does on my laptop introducing massive input lag making other than Limited settings unplayable. I'm happy to report that is not the case, I get Excellent connection with Best visual settings and HDR enabled all the while CCU is favoring resolution over performance. No stuttering, visual glitches, pixelation or any other problems, just a flawless stream. I'm very sensitive to input lag and while it's apparent on the big screen, everything's still perfectly playable when the TV is in Game Mode with all the post processing disabled. The only thing I'm concerned with is the audio lag that's pretty bad. I got it to reasonable levels by disabling PCM and all the audio processing (+ audio/video syncing) from my TV but it's definitely still there. My connection is 250/100mbps fiber, median ping to Google's only datacenter here in Finland is ~26ms, TV's Sony XE90 65". Got Cambridge Audio DacMagic plus connected to my TV via optical cable and had my Sennheiser HD598 headphones connected to it through the whole test.

If Borderlands 3 runs at least 1440p 60fps I'm buying it without hesitation, this shit right here is way too good to be true. Though I'm not a big fan of Google and can't stand Android and absolutely loathe CCU, it's very very hard not to like Stadia even after all the problems surrounding it's launch. I think it would have been wiser to launch Stadia with the free tier capping every game to run 1080p 60fps while being truly playable on every screen able to run Chrome (excluding iOS because it would have been impossible on this launch window due to Apple being so stubborn with codecs). Founders Edition could have been only the controller (with the option to connect to Wifi on any screen) bundled with a free game + the benefit of reserving your name before free users. Google should have also provided all the specs required for the hardware (screens) and/or a hardware test tool and a proper network connection test.
But it's too late now, the marketing talk and grandiose slogans are out there and Google won't change their stance (seeing how they handled the criticsm towards the 4K 60fps promise). The current model is way too hardware dependent no matter how you're playing, for example it's clear my laptop is way too old to stream anything other than the lowest quality.

tl;dr CCU and the whole Stadia on TV setup sucks, there's a lot to improve in order to make Stadia a seamless and full experience. But all in all it plays perfectly on TV through CCU with the Stadia controller (with an altogether good internet connection and the right settings on your TV and CCU). Input lag is not your enemy, but audio lag might be. You can call me a sucker, but now I truly believe in this tech and will eagerly expect what's next. This can only get better!

Good, balanced impressions. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by it when they test it out, considering the negativity surrounding the whole thing right now.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
What are people using for party chat while playing on chromecast?

I tried to use the same headset / mic that i use with PS4 (a seinnheiser) by plugging into the 3.5mm jack on the stadia controller but my friend couldn't hear me. I tried lots of different options, including iphone headset but nothing worked.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Can you play with the game windowed in a browser window? Or does it always force fullscreen?

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
The solution is to configure your Chromecast to stream photos of family/loved ones/etc from your Google Photos account to your screen as an ambient display. I guarantee your love for the device will increase.

Doubt I'll never use the device again for anything else than Stadia. Can do all the things you mentioned above and loads more on my Apple TV without any hassle.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Was going to buy the Founders but then I had a family emergency so I had to cancel for now. Would love a spare buddy code if anyone has a spare.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund on a game? I bought Gylt, played for about an hour and it isn't my thing. Trying to do a refund through the Stadia app but it just directs me to a Google support page on how to get a refund on the Play store, and trying that doesn't work..

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund on a game? I bought Gylt, played for about an hour and it isn't my thing. Trying to do a refund through the Stadia app but it just directs me to a Google support page on how to get a refund on the Play store, and trying that doesn't work..
You should be able to do it from your order history in the play store

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nice, let us know your thoughts. I know you've been quite curious on the subject matter.
I played some Destiny 2 last night in Chrome.

It played flawlessly for me; i'm on wired fiber w/ a ~15ms ping to google's oregon DC where I imagine I was connected to.

The blurriness bothers me though from time to time; just like a smudge of vaseline on my screen.

I have 2 ISPs to my house so gonna mess around and do some more testing over the weekend; see if I can tell a difference between my fiber/xFinity.. and maybe do some things to try to force latency to be higher.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
What are people using for party chat while playing on chromecast?

I tried to use the same headset / mic that i use with PS4 (a seinnheiser) by plugging into the 3.5mm jack on the stadia controller but my friend couldn't hear me. I tried lots of different options, including iphone headset but nothing worked.

Odd. The Stadia controller is the ONLY controller i've used that lets me use my apple 3.5 mm earphones without the screech you normally get.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any way to try the service by just buying a month's worth of premium, or do I have to order the hardware I don't need?

Just want to give it a go on my PC