• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have now finished two games on Stadia: the main campaign for Destiny 2 and Tomb Raider. Loving this service.

I played a lot of AC over the weekend... it's amazing how you can completely forget you are streaming the game. One thing this service needs for single player titles is a save state that you can instant load when you pop back in the service. Like a virtual suspend mode. It kinda sucks having to through Ubi's intro shit every time I want to play.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I played a lot of AC over the weekend... it's amazing how you can completely forget you are streaming the game. One thing this service needs for single player titles is a save state that you can instant load when you pop back in the service. Like a virtual suspend mode. It kinda sucks having to through Ubi's intro shit every time I want to play.

This seems so obvious, they have to be working on it, right?

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The tech is great, hopefully Google figures out how to work in this market
Agree, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt at least till the free service is available for all. After that? I want to see some results, that's when this silence game they got going on won't cut it. For now, I'm a patient person, I knew what I was getting myself into (i love new tech)

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like this is something that would actually be much harder to do than it seems.

Since we're all technically streaming off the a large server, where does it save the game state? It can't just keep the game running on some server somewhere, since someone else might need that server.

Maybe once the games are newer and designed around this idea, they can figure out how to offload that state as a smaller file and store it somewhere?

I don't actually know how it all works, I'm just guessing that it would be harder than it seems.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like this is something that would actually be much harder to do than it seems.

Since we're all technically streaming off the a large server, where does it save the game state? It can't just keep the game running on some server somewhere, since someone else might need that server.

Maybe once the games are newer and designed around this idea, they can figure out how to offload that state as a smaller file and store it somewhere?

I don't actually know how it all works, I'm just guessing that it would be harder than it seems.
I think save states were one of the things they talked about when they first announced the platform, so I assume it's coming at some point. But yeah, suspend mode is the only thing I miss from my PS4 when I'm playing Stadia.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much how I feel. I just don't understand why it's not as powerful as they claimed. It's a server. Did they just lie about the components?
Yeah, they were touting that they were capable of doing 10.7 Teraflops, but that we still end up with 1080p-1440p and Medium graphical settings makes me question the next gen consoles and if they are able to achieve 4K, 60fps, Ultra when they are clearly more powerful than Stadia. Hell, in the current gen, the main competitor Xbox One X easily outpaces Stadia with its native 4K output on certain games while Stadia was clearly advertising that players should get rid/no longer think of their high-end consoles to get the best graphical & playing experience.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not down on Stadia. It's still by far the best streaming I've tried and I've done them all. I was an early OnLive adopter for Christ sake... But for the moment I'm a none CCU user. Browser only for me. And not a Pro subscriber until they let me give them £10 a month again...

Have you tried GeForce NOW? I've found it to be a far better looking service on PC with the option of using 50mbps+ streams.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I think save states were one of the things they talked about when they first announced the platform, so I assume it's coming at some point. But yeah, suspend mode is the only thing I miss from my PS4 when I'm playing Stadia.
Hasn't impacted me yet as I'm mostly playing Destiny which is just so much faster to load on Stadia, but can definitely see it being annoying on other games

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Essentially it's "hibernation", where you're dumping the RAM (and other state components) of a machine to disk at save, and then restoring later. It's not as simple as that, of course, and I'm not saying it's easy by any measure, but it should not be a rocket science problem either.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like 13 hours into ACO and never even think about the fact that it's been streaming the whole time. It just feels like a prettier console version.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Save states are basically the "play now" button they showed in the announcement that is shown on youtube to start playing the game in the video at the exact same position you are seeing.

at 23sec

And this is not in? oh wow!

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Essentially it's "hibernation", where you're dumping the RAM (and other state components) of a machine to disk at save, and then restoring later. It's not as simple as that, of course, and I'm not saying it's easy by any measure, but it should not be a rocket science problem either.

Gotcha. I just thought it would be more difficult than when it's on your own console, and you control everything that goes on.

I'm glad it's a solvable issue, and I hope it comes soon!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Extra buddy pass for founder's

Hey everybody, In the spirit of the holidays, we have an early surprise gift for Stadia Founders: an extra Buddy Pass! Give it to a friend, a family member… anybody you know who loves games. For more information on how to redeem your Buddy Pass, take a look at the infograph...

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a buddy I'm trying to get into Stadia so if anyone here has an extra buddy pass to throw away I'd appreciate it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If the extra buddy pass increases the Destiny population then that is great.
This, but do you have any issue with queues? I keep reading about the diminishing populations but I literally never have to wait longer than a minute (gambit and the "popular" crucibles to get my emblems, Strikes are queued and loaded in in practically seconds)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Um...it's a new platform in a sort of beta stage looking to get more players...soo...don't see how this is a "bad look" or sign.
It looks bad to me because they need players and it's likely not meeting expectations, hence the need for more players and giving away $130 buddy passes for free to founder's.

Buzzbrad

Oct 27, 2017
A buddy code would be amazing as well! I really want to see how this runs on my internet before committing. Much appreciated :)

I was at the Stadia GDC reveal and remember being super excited about it. Glad to see the positive reception here for the most part.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
This, but do you have any issue with queues? I keep reading about the diminishing populations but I literally never have to wait longer than a minute (gambit and the "popular" crucibles to get my emblems, Strikes are queued and loaded in in practically seconds)

I have trouble with queues. I play Crucible mostly as I haven't touched Gambit since I powered through to get a pinnacle weapon months ago. I want to do playlists other than 'Control' but that is the only one populated. In the week 'Momentum Control' was available I only matched into two games. Outside of 'Control', its a wasteland.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
if any has a spare buddy pass code they are willing to share based on the additional bonus code, let me know!

1 gift from Digital Savior

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Digital Savior Digital Savior!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Stadia Stadia: Buddy Pass - Won by Sirolf Sirolf (39 entries)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried GeForce NOW? I've found it to be a far better looking service on PC with the option of using 50mbps+ streams.
The problem I have with GeForce Now is the most irritating thing. The streaming works great, but every time I try to launch it, it prompts me to type in my Steam password. Using the crappy Steam on-screen keyboard. This might sound like hyperbole, but that's a deal breaker for me. My Steam password is a nice, long, random string and it's a real pain to do this every time I want to use the service.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Best week so far, new deals (grid and just dance), new games and most likely a new feature (stream connect, as breakpoint is using it)

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty decent prices for borderlands and breakpoint. Want to check out stream connect, as that looks very interesting. Don't understand why they can't have a normal release schedule though. Could have put this in their weekly update on Friday and got positive feedback instead of the shitstorm they got.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ya nice prices... so might buy bl3(again), breakpoint and grid

cant wait for digital foundry and hope those games run great!m

Edit: now I only need family share so I can play with wife and son :-/

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get why Google can't just give people a 1-month free trial. Like I'm not plunking down $169 CAD on something that I don't know for sure will work well or not. Instead, I have to jump through hoops and scour the internet for an impossible-to-find buddy pass.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Is Stream Connect the thing where a game incorporates streams into itself? So for GR you'll be able to see what your squad is doing or something?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Is Stream Connect the thing where a game incorporates streams into itself? So for GR you'll be able to see what your squad is doing or something?
Yeah. Looked pretty neat in their stadia connect.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get why Google can't just give people a 1-month free trial. Like I'm not plunking down $169 CAD on something that I don't know for sure will work well or not. Instead, I have to jump through hoops and scour the internet for an impossible-to-find buddy pass.
Just wait until the free version next year.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They probably just aren't ready.

Buddy passes allow them to control roughly how many people are accessing the service. At the very least they know the maximum number (current subscribers + number of buddy passes.)

Once they offer a one-month free trial to anyone on the internet they have a completely un-controllable amount of people accessing the service. They'll need way more hardware in place for that.