• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
The base subscription doesn't really seem to me like it needs large-scale testing. From what we know of it, it's just a restriction of the ability to select the highest streaming quality, plus the removal of entitlements given by the Pro subscription, like the games that are free for Pro.

That still does need testing, but it should be something that Google can test internally.

If they're having difficulties getting ready for the base subscription, the reason for that is probably getting hardware in place in all their locations. Having some founders move to base-level subscriptions won't help with that.

There's the "features removed base" from a technical perspective, which should not be a problem. But a "branded base" release, i.e. as an actual marketing/product launch push -- for that they will need to do a bunch of things. They need to achieve parity with the Chromecast experience on, at the very least, browsers -- if not an expanded array of phones/devices. Those are things they might not have ready yet.

EDIT: Unofficial Stadia Weekly Roundup

EDIT: Someone put together a listing of Stadia games w/ resolutions/etc

With https://StadiaGameDB.com I've created a quick site that lets you list all games currently on Stadia, with the ability to filter by type of game and resolution.

Want to see all 4k60 games? https://stadiagamedb.com/?filter=4k60

Want to see all games that support local co-op? https://stadiagamedb.com/?filter=local

I've put the source to the site on Github, including a JSON with the data I use - feel free to grab it and do with it what you want.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Any speculation on what the February Pro games will be?
No, but I'm not sure what else they can do either than to continue from their launch catalogue. I'm really curious what they will do for that.

It's been 33 days since the last Stadia game released (Breakpoint on 12/18), and the only game releasing in February is Monster Supercross 3 on the February 4th.

The only release for March that's confirmed is Doom Eternal on March 20th.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No, but I'm not sure what else they can do either than to continue from their launch catalogue. I'm really curious what they will do for that.

It's been 33 days since the last Stadia game released (Breakpoint on 12/18), and the only game releasing in February is Monster Supercross 3 on the February 4th.

The only release for March that's confirmed is Doom Eternal on March 20th.

Well I personally think that we will also see Doom 2016 in February and maybe even as a Pro game. Wouldn't that be fitting with Doom Eternal coming in March? I mean... Stadia was more or less promoted using that game all the time. I'm sure it's more than ready and won't be released after Eternal

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly my Stadia time will x5 when the iPad is supported. Next month's games with be interesting to see, suspicion it might be FFXV though I bought it last sale.

pcigre

Aug 19, 2019
There was that Kotaku thing where they feel the Stadia model will change significantly somehow. Nothing fact or insider info based, but for something that is still evolving like this, it's not a far stretch.

In last Kotaku podcast Jason Schreier said that those predictions are NOT based on any internal info, just a guess/prediction, and when you listen to the whole episode it is easy to see that there is a lot of nonsense in those predictions from all 3 of them.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, no new news in this post, just a lot of me daydreaming and speculating.
Anyway.

So, a few things occurred to me the other day:

1: I haven't had a 'bad blade' experience for a log time now. To clarify, a bad blade session is when I started a game and the menus would be fine, but the in-game lag would get worse and worse until it was several seconds of delay. This happened twice in D2 and once in Gylt. Since then I've poured hours into Metro Exodus, Thumper and Borderlands 3 and never experienced the issue again. So that's good.

2: Why are they being so slow with announcing Base, while giving away a 2nd round of buddy passes, and doing deals with BT and Verizon? Are they trying to 'ramp up slowly' so the servers don't get flooded on day1, or so support doesn't get flooded with "Why doesn't this work on my setup" calls? It makes a lot of sense in many ways. Giving Stadia away with broadband packages at least means they know the persons connection will be up to a certain standard, and with buddy passes you kinda assume you'd only give it to a buddy if you knew their internet was ok (not how it worked in reality, but still).
Either way, if they are still hesitant to open up Base, it either means they arent confident in their current infrastructure to support it, or they just aren't desperate to throw the doors open to all the freeloaders to try and get as many users as possible.

3: While I was watching the new coverage of Doom Eternal it occurred to me that Stadia would be great for press demo sessions like this without having to fly journalists around the world and set up expensive gaming PCs. Just assign special game Demos to Journalist accounts, let them know its ready, and voila! Now the press can play the game on a fixed hardware setup, where the only real variable is the monitor and controller (well ok, and their network, but I feel like journalists would quit being dicks about that once it became the norm). They can't give the game to anyone else, and once the demo period is over, it can be removed from their accounts. The game company could even watch the journalists play it (assuming that youtube share feature works) to look for people getting stuck/not having a great time. It could give games companies a lot of control and feedback in controlled demo sessions like this.
(Admittedly, if this was more widely applied beyond curated demo sessions for journalists it becomes a bit scary, but not everything has to be a slippery slope, so here's hoping).

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
2: Why are they being so slow with announcing Base, while giving away a 2nd round of buddy passes, and doing deals with BT and Verizon? Are they trying to 'ramp up slowly' so the servers don't get flooded on day1, or so support doesn't get flooded with "Why doesn't this work on my setup" calls? It makes a lot of sense in many ways. Giving Stadia away with broadband packages at least means they know the persons connection will be up to a certain standard, and with buddy passes you kinda assume you'd only give it to a buddy if you knew their internet was ok (not how it worked in reality, but still).
Either way, if they are still hesitant to open up Base, it either means they arent confident in their current infrastructure to support it, or they just aren't desperate to throw the doors open to all the freeloaders to try and get as many users as possible.
The idea of a controlled ramp-up that allows them to ensure that they have the necessary infrastructure still makes the most sense, though Google are starting to lose control a little bit by partnering with BT and Verizon. I assume that they have done projections of the subscriber numbers they'll gain from this and probably won't be very far off, but this is the first time that they could (in theory at least) end up with more subscribers than they expected to have.

This would be a good time for us to have Stadia player base numbers in general (rather than just the Destiny 2 numbers that are easy to get). It may be that Google don't quite believe that they have the capacity for a wider launch of the base service, but do have more free capacity than they expected after the initial launch interest dampened down.

While I was watching the new coverage of Doom Eternal it occurred to me that Stadia would be great for press demo sessions like this without having to fly journalists around the world and set up expensive gaming PCs. Just assign special game Demos to Journalist accounts, let them know its ready, and voila! Now the press can play the game on a fixed hardware setup, where the only real variable is the monitor and controller (well ok, and their network, but I feel like journalists would quit being dicks about that once it became the norm).
You could get almost all of the same effect with PSN codes for demos. The circumstances there would be even more controlled - the game would be running on local fixed hardware with (almost always) a standard controller. The only difference there would be that they couldn't be actively, visually monitored. There hasn't been a technical need to fly journalists around the world for quite a while - the companies still doing that might have other reasons for doing so, which wouldn't be addressed by Stadia.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
You could get almost all of the same effect with PSN codes for demos. The circumstances there would be even more controlled - the game would be running on local fixed hardware with (almost always) a standard controller. The only difference there would be that they couldn't be actively, visually monitored. There hasn't been a technical need to fly journalists around the world for quite a while - the companies still doing that might have other reasons for doing so, which wouldn't be addressed by Stadia.
True enough. A streaming setup like Stadia just means zero download times for the Journalists, and allows the demo to be revoked without any possibility if it being copied first. Not really a worry when dealing with reputable outlets, but when dealing with 'random youtube influencer shithead #78421' it could be good to have the extra control.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The Verizon deal reasoning seems obvious to me... Google is worried about people with shit internet signing up. Giving the service away to people with FIOS sort of guarantees a decent experience.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Maybe not for a gigabit connection but who needs that?
I have AT&T Uverse gigabit with unlimited bandwidth. It's 65 a month for me but that's because of TV/cellular and military discount. With all the 4k streaming between Netflix/Youtube/Stadia/etc I absolutely love it. Also makes cloud storage much more usable since the upload is a gig as well.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I have AT&T Uverse gigabit with unlimited bandwidth. It's 65 a month for me but that's because of TV/cellular and military discount. With all the 4k streaming between Netflix/Youtube/Stadia/etc I absolutely love it. Also makes cloud storage much more usable since the upload is a gig as well.
That's gotta be the "first 12 month" discount.

It'll shoot up above $100 easily after that, at least for someone without other discounts.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in Achievements I can say that the website exophase.com is VERY close to adding Stadia support.

Just a cool nugget... will post when it goes public.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
That's gotta be the "first 12 month" discount.

It'll shoot up above $100 easily after that, at least for someone without other discounts.
Actually the internet price won't increase after 12 months. The regular price is $90 but after the TV bundle and Military discount it drops to $65. The Uverse TV that it's bundled with will increase though, 2 more months and it'll jump up $40. My total bill right now for TV and internet is $93 so it'll be $130ish. Overall though still pretty good compared to what I used to pay when I was on Comcast and then later Cox.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Actually the internet price won't increase after 12 months. The regular price is $90 but after the TV bundle and Military discount it drops to $65. The Uverse TV that it's bundled with will increase though, 2 more months and it'll jump up $40. My total bill right now for TV and internet is $93 so it'll be $130ish. Overall though still pretty good compared to what I used to pay when I was on Comcast and then later Cox.

You got a good deal then. The intro price for gigabit is $70 right now and from what I can find on google goes up to $120 after 12 months.

Which is pretty normal here in the states. I pay a little more than that in Seattle for gigabit from CenturyLink.

Oct 27, 2017
Recently picked up a controller on the cheap.

Have to say, despite generally having an allergy to symmetrical thumbsticks, I really like it. Nice and weighty, responsive and a nice texture.

Hopefully they get the service a bit more fleshed out in the next couple of months, I'm enjoying it so far.

(which is sure to be a popular opinion here)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yep... going live hopefully later today. Meaning able to add tour stadia name to scrape your data. Only bummer is no access to secret achievements yet. Google not playing nice..
Good keeping track 👍

Recently picked up a controller on the cheap.

Have to say, despite generally having an allergy to symmetrical thumbsticks, I really like it. Nice and weighty, responsive and a nice texture.

Hopefully they get the service a bit more fleshed out in the next couple of months, I'm enjoying it so far.

(which is sure to be a popular opinion here)
Yeh it's nice, more weight than you'd expect but feels right.

Exophase.com achievement tracking

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Exophase.com has officially launched support for Stadia. Works like all their other platforms... just add your username to your profile and the achievements are added to all your other platforms... super slick. Very cool we have support from this achievement site.

Announcement

My main profile with Stadia platform added to the right. 33 achievements unlocked so far..
exophase.png

My Stadia game list (hours tracked were manually added)
exophase2.png

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I still can't quite believe you can't see your achievements in the mobile app.
Like everything in development, things will take time. I'm still being patient, as it's only been 2 months now since the soft launch. I'm still waiting on achievements from Nintendo.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Google cared as much about Stadia as we do. Just dead silence this month on sales and free Pro games for next month.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
A week into my Stadia buddy pass and up until now I'd only played Destiny 2, which impressed me more than I thought it was going to (the tech, not the game, I'm already over 2,000 hours into Destiny at this point!). Tonight I tried Samurai Shodown on Stadia for the first time and again I was very impressed with how it performed, again much better than I was expecting.

All of this is caveated by the fact I'm using a good, fast wired internet connection. I'll be travelling to London next week and will be in a hotel for one night so that will be the big test for me in deciding to continue my Pro sub after this expires or not.

But, so far so good. I was very sceptical before I tried it.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Like everything in development, things will take time. I'm still being patient, as it's only been 2 months now since the soft launch. I'm still waiting on achievements from Nintendo.

It's clear at this point that the current Founders program is a beta test. In fact, the xCloud beta test and what's included makes the current Stadia offering pretty embarrassing by comparison. I'm all for being patient but these are basic features by today's standards that really should've been ready to go if they were ready to start charging people to use their service.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear at this point that the current Founders program is a beta test. In fact, the xCloud beta test and what's included makes the current Stadia offering pretty embarrassing by comparison. I'm all for being patient but these are basic features by today's standards that really should've been ready to go if they were ready to start charging people to use their service.

The advantage of xcloud is the developers don't have to port their games. It takes a small amount of work for Microsoft to enable support, unlike devs having to use resources to port games to Stadia.

I totally agree that Google should have labeled this early access though.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Gotta disagree with you here. It's okay for xCloud since they are under the Xbox brand. How much years have they been in the industry now? Their relationships with devs and partners is in a different stratosphere than Google's. Now, sure one might say that I'm giving Google a pass here - but the fact is that this is a company just getting involved in the industry and not only that - they are coming to market with a completely different tech which people have been skeptical about since Ouya. They have a lot to prove that the tech works before developers would buy in. It isn't the craziest idea that they launch with Destiny 2 to show off that the tech indeed works to convince and influence other devs to develop for the platform. It's an uphill battle, because accomplishing the task many think is so easily possible requires that (1) Devs have confidence in the platform, (2) that the tech works, (3) and that there enough people willing to try out the platform. Also, launching in 2019 at the twilight of this generation makes sense because it gives Google more time to iron out what it needs to do to compete with the big boys and girls, it allows them to also implement features that might be Stadia or Cloud specific before others copy it.

It might very well be wishful thinking - but perhaps Google in the fall comes out with all of its features once XsX and PS5 launch. This 2019-2020 year might just be a stress test year for their servers. If they launched in 2020 - they would be a year behind a new console generation that just launched. I think the timing is at least right if my hypothesis is right.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Now, sure one might say that I'm giving Google a pass here
You absolutely are. It's okay to still like the service (as I said a few posts up, I've come around to it also) but anyone who thinks what they currently offer is acceptable value should really take a look at what's in front of them. I suppose we'll see when current Founders' 3 months sub ends in Feb, what sort of % agree with me and don't renew.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only bought darksiders genesis and this game was absolutely amazing. And the performance on stadia was really great. I just don't want to buy anything else :(

we need more games. Damn

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
I totally agree that Google should have labeled this early access though.

Yeah, that's kinda all I'm eluding to. The service is slick (so far in my testing) and works pretty well. But the store is baron and the prices are way too high for some pretty old games. With the state of some pretty core features currently -- I mean, seriously, why is it so difficult to share a screenshot?! -- it's early access at a premium price.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Why are they only listing the 4K30 modes? You can get some games up to 60fps either by choosing to prioritize framerate or by lowering the stream quality to balanced? I couldn't care less about 4K

They do only seem to list one resolution per game, but there are entries there other than 4K30. You might have clicked a URL with a specific filter. Try https://stadiagamedb.com/?filter=

The navigation/filtering on that site is a little confusing anyway.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I only bought darksiders genesis and this game was absolutely amazing. And the performance on stadia was really great. I just don't want to buy anything else :(

we need more games. Damn
Same, I also mostly play Destiny but I'm getting into my "bored of the game" cycle.

Interested in Doom but as it is in March I'm on the fence if I renew our just wait

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
You absolutely are. It's okay to still like the service (as I said a few posts up, I've come around to it also) but anyone who thinks what they currently offer is acceptable value should really take a look at what's in front of them. I suppose we'll see when current Founders' 3 months sub ends in Feb, what sort of % agree with me and don't renew.

I've spent $130. I've gotten Destiny 2 with the annual pass which is the best version out of the Xbox and PlayStation - once you get 60 frames for Destiny the 30 frames is just deplorable. I've gotten a Chromecast Ultra. I've gotten a controller (which admittedly can't be used for anything else other Stadia at this point in time), I've gotten 5 others games for the ability to play games all throughout my house and at work. After the 3 months are up it'll be $10 a month - much less than the upfront costs of consoles. Over the course of a generation Stadia will also cost less than Xbox and PlayStation when you include it's hardware, the midgen upgrades, yearly subs to Live and PS+, and upgrading at least once a generation to more hard drive space. Which by the way I'll be doing again anyway because I am fortunate enough to do it.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019

we need more games. Damn

We do need more games for it. Keep in mind however, we are also at the end of a generation cycle. This year has already brought with it an unprecedented amount of delays to games which were suppose to be released. Having said that the Wii U and even Switch didn't have very many games when it first launched (although it did have it's share of AAA games).

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly the system Itself is working amazingly. but I though we would have access to a much larger pc library. It's really dire right now. Few choices and crazy price outside sales.
Once again the technology itself is really great. I want it to be successful. But they're handling it very badly

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Has it been confirmed yet that we will be able to subscribe for one month at a time,along with the 3 month premiere sub, once our 3 months(buddy pass for me) is over...? I would probably try it for one more month to finish my Destiny run or maybe try Darksiders Genesis soon...

commish

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More games please! Even some indies??? RPGs? Anything??