• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Been happy that the other games I would've probably bought - Gylt, GRID and Serious Sam Collection - have been free with Pro.

Only other thing I might buy is Darksiders Genesis.

Deleted member 31140

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They play great on Stadia. The formula is pretty much still the same. You're tossed in a big arena and have to fight off waves and waves of enemies. A lot of strafing and shooting. Eventually you run into a big boss at the end of a level. It's very much over the top action as you mow down hordes of enemies. It can get repetitive as that's basically what you're doing the entire game. I bought it because I enjoy those types of games in short bursts though.
Thank you for the response!

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else been getting constant disconnects/lah with the stadia controller lately? Like usually happens on game start up and maybe 10 mins into a session. This never used to be an issue(wired CCU, 5ghz) so I'm thinking it's just network congestion because of the virus.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Anyone else been getting constant disconnects/lah with the stadia controller lately? Like usually happens on game start up and maybe 10 mins into a session. This never used to be an issue(wired CCU, 5ghz) so I'm thinking it's just network congestion because of the virus.
I've seen quite a few people on r/stadia complain of the same thing, i'd say it's probably a Covid-19 related issue.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
So I did it.

I bought a game on Stadia. The Crew 2. €15.

Am I tainted now?
Yes, you are.
You can never go back!

*Ahem* Anyway, I've found myself playing a ton of The Crew 2. Its been ages since I played a racing game, let alone one of these open-world types. They usually aren't my thing.
I really like it though. Its a great game for 'just dicking about' in. I've spent quite a lot of time just exploring the map, finding hidden caches, and doing the non-race stuff like Driveaways, speed traps and photo-ops, as well as just taking in the scenery. Its a really great way to just chill out and do whatever takes my fancy.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you are.
You can never go back!

*Ahem* Anyway, I've found myself playing a ton of The Crew 2. Its been ages since I played a racing game, let alone one of these open-world types. They usually aren't my thing.
I really like it though. Its a great game for 'just dicking about' in. I've spent quite a lot of time just exploring the map, finding hidden caches, and doing the non-race stuff like Driveaways, speed traps and photo-ops, as well as just taking in the scenery. Its a really great way to just chill out and do whatever takes my fancy.
Yeah, that's exactly what I want it for. AI played a little of the first game and all I really did was exploring and sightseeing.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Digital Foundry analysis for Doom Eternal is here

Watched it and it almost seems like they walk intentionally into walls etc. Reminded me of playing a FPS (Unreal Tournament) for the first time on a console (PS2). Seriously seems like there is something off, because that is totally not comparable to my experience, even though all the games (Rage2 / Wolfenstein: Young Blood / Doom: Eternal) suffer from that weird smoothing, but doesn't seem to be directly a latency issue. Maybe that feature doesn't translate well into game streaming and is somewhat essential on how they setup the input system?

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
I picked up the premiere edition for 99 bucks with the sale - my first Stadia game ended up being Borderlands 3. Seems like it has some random hitches every now and then but honestly pretty impressed otherwise!

I don't know how active the multi is for Borderlands - it seems the platform has lots of empty multiplayer lobbies but you can add me @Sleevs#7435. I just started Borderlands 3 so I'd be down for playing it whenever!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DF seems to have it out for Stadia. Unless Europe has really shitty internet compared to here. I don't see how their "ideal conditions" can vary so much from what I experience in my home.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I picked up the premiere edition for 99 bucks with the sale - my first Stadia game ended up being Borderlands 3. Seems like it has some random hitches every now and then but honestly pretty impressed otherwise!

I don't know how active the multi is for Borderlands - it seems the platform has lots of empty multiplayer lobbies but you can add me @Sleevs#7435. I just started Borderlands 3 so I'd be down for playing it whenever!

Ya Borderlands is known for those weird hiccups. Some mentioned it would get better after a few minutes after playing? Also heard that some feel that the games looks and feels a lot better since yesterday. Maybe the updated, don't know. Only played it after the release, but refunded it. But did feel a lot better than my base PS4 version, especially the menu.

DF seems to have it out for Stadia. Unless Europe has really shitty internet compared to here. I don't see how their "ideal conditions" can vary so much from what I experience in my home.

Totally... but it has been like this in every Stadia review by them.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be all over that sale if it was available in EU.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I have all of the consoles and Stadia, and now almost want to buy Doom Eternal on Stadia instead of the others just out of curiosity. I have about £70 worth of Google Play Store credit, so could just use that. What are the rules on refunds with Stadia, is it no questions asked within 2 hours of gameplay?

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have all of the consoles and Stadia, and now almost want to buy Doom Eternal on Stadia instead of the others just out of curiosity. I have about £70 worth of Google Play Store credit, so could just use that. What are the rules on refunds with Stadia, is it no questions asked within 2 hours of gameplay?

You can refund within 2 weeks if your playtime is under 2 hours. Just 5 quick clicks. Profile->Transaction History->Doom->Request Refund->Approve. First thing you should be doing is, set the sensitivity a bit higher and reduce smoothing a lot. There is just something off with ID tech games as of now imho.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
You can refund within 2 weeks if your playtime is under 2 hours. Just 5 quick clicks. Profile->Transaction History->Doom->Request Refund->Approve. First thing you should be doing is, set the sensitivity a bit higher and reduce smoothing a lot. There is just something off with ID tech games as of now imho.
Are you playing on PC or over CC Ultra with the controller? (or a mixture of both)

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Are you playing on PC or over CC Ultra with the controller? (or a mixture of both)

I played it on CCU but didn't feel very good. Still a lot better than in the DF video though. (after I played around with the settings) After playing on PC, i didn't go back though, was just a lot better for me. Struggled with some enemies on CCU, not on PC with M+K.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't go that far, Dark1x has said multiple times on this forums about how he is a fan of physical media not a fan of streaming. But we all have personal options and they are very professional in their videos.

Maybe they are not near a Data center? I do agree that my experience with Stadia is never reflected on what is shown in their videos. Personally do not own Doom so my opinion on that video is moot.

Work is crushing me atm, so thanks for the heads up I do not have the energy today to post in what will be inevitably another circle-jerk anti Stadia thread here.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe DF does? I have a 50Mbps line and Stadia runs flawlessly.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe DF does? I have a 50Mbps line and Stadia runs flawlessly.

This thread should know that I'm a big user/fan of Stadia but, even so... what we consider 'flawless' or 'ideal' differs from person to person. We know that there is inherent latency with streaming. It's physics. It's always gonna be there. Some of us can work with that and, I'd say for most people honestly, it's never going to be a problem. But DF is a tech centred site and they report the numbers. They do interject personality and anecdotal experience with that ('it feels x' or 'it looks like z') but the fact is they do the tests are report what they show.

Latency is fine for me in practice when I use Stadia but it is there. I haven't tried Doom on Stadia honestly (I bought it elsewhere) but I can imagine how the added latency of streaming would be problematic for that type of game if you're senstive to it.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Watched it and it almost seems like they walk intentionally into walls etc. Reminded me of playing a FPS (Unreal Tournament) for the first time on a console (PS2). Seriously seems like there is something off, because that is totally not comparable to my experience, even though all the games (Rage2 / Wolfenstein: Young Blood / Doom: Eternal) suffer from that weird smoothing, but doesn't seem to be directly a latency issue. Maybe that feature doesn't translate well into game streaming and is somewhat essential on how they setup the input system?

I noticed that as well. It seems funny to me when Killzone 2 has 200+ ms of latency and gameplay doesn't look like that.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, Dark1x has said multiple times on this forums about how he is a fan of physical media not a fan of streaming. But we all have personal options and they are very professional in their videos.

Maybe they are not near a Data center? I do agree that my experience with Stadia is never reflected on what is shown in their videos. Personally do not own Doom so my opinion on that video is moot.

Work is crushing me atm, so thanks for the heads up I do not have the energy today to post in what will be inevitably another circle-jerk anti Stadia thread here.
Yeah, it's just a real pain with streaming. It's the poster child for YMMV, and if it's not working for you, there isn't much you can do about it.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

Strange, the issue you are describing (perfect connection until ~10 minutes into session, then unbearable lag after a short freeze), is exactly what I experience when I use an HDMI cable from my chromebook to my TV. If I play on the chromebook, I don't get that issue. Very strange.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that 4k chrome is official. I tried it's not working. But I have a surface pro 4 m3.... I read you need force vo9 for 4k? When I force it , it's super laggy

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Strange, since their results don't match most of the people in this thread's results.
What results?

If you have high-framerate side-by-side video comparisons of Stadia and other platforms that show something quite different to what DF present, then I'd be interested in seeing those, and I suspect DF would be as well.

Or do you mean gut feeling?

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's not strange. The posters in this thread don't get paid to review the technical details of hardware and software for a living. The writers at DF do.

Ya so first hand experience is false for everyone. Sure sure.

What results?

If you have high-framerate side-by-side video comparisons of Stadia and other platforms that show something quite different to what DF present, then I'd be interested in seeing those, and I suspect DF would be as well.

Or do you mean gut feeling?

Well check some YT livestreams and check if you see someone moving around like they do in the DF video. It's like someone playing an FPS for the first time on console. This is just awful. Just to be sure, I'm not saying that they're doing it on purpose, but it could be just them based on their location or network issues on their side. So the result might be true for them and some other unlucky persons, but that doesn't mean it's for a majority. It's just a lot harder to measure this reliable than local hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I snagged a whole bunch of the Ubisoft ports. Division 2, Breakpoint, Crew 2 and Trials Rising for the same price they're going for on other platforms. I'm honestly impressed with the ports. And I'm actually enjoying Breakpoint. Crew 2 is impressing me the most for some reason, but they all feel identical in terms of smooth, polished 60 fps.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Well check some YT livestreams and check if you see someone moving around like they do in the DF video.
I'm not sure what your point here is. DF aren't pretending to be playing at a high level, and they have said in the past that their capture tools make playing a game more difficult. However, any footage where they're playing poorly (by your standards) isn't there to showcase their skills and it isn't even there to talk about latency, it's there to show you direct feed footage of what the game looks like.

The latency tests are the off-screen parts shot at 240FPS.

They're not trying to say that Stadia has so much latency it makes you play like they play.

Just to be sure, I'm not saying that they're doing it on purpose
Yes you are. You should be honest here. You were responding to a post saying "DF seems to have it out for Stadia" and your answer for that was "Totally... but it has been like this in every Stadia review by them". You're emphatically agreeing with the claim that DF intentionally badmouth Stadia. If you now want to change your mind and admit that this claim is bullshit, then that's nice, but don't pretend that wasn't what you were originally saying.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I snagged a whole bunch of the Ubisoft ports. Division 2, Breakpoint, Crew 2 and Trials Rising for the same price they're going for on other platforms. I'm honestly impressed with the ports. And I'm actually enjoying Breakpoint. Crew 2 is impressing me the most for some reason, but they all feel identical in terms of smooth, polished 60 fps.

Especially Division 2 is a really really great port. The Crew 2 is actually only 30 fps, but very smooth. Hope they will get 60 fps as soon as 4k mode is live, which they already announced will be coming to a later date. (announced ahead of release). Not a fan of the Breakpoint port, it's really blurry. Seems to be due to "temporal injection" which you can't disable, that sucks. Made quite a difference on PC when i'ts deactivated. Beside that I'm enjoying that too. Assassins Creed: Odyssey is also a great port. But nothing beats Division 2 at the moment.

I'm not sure what your point here is. DF aren't pretending to be playing at a high level, and they have said in the past that their capture tools make playing a game more difficult. However, any footage where they're playing poorly (by your standards) isn't there to showcase their skills and it isn't even there to talk about latency, it's there to show you direct feed footage of what the game looks like.

The latency tests are the off-screen parts shot at 240FPS.

They're not trying to say that Stadia has so much latency it makes you play like they play.

The point was that they're walking against walls like it's due to latency... I'm not expecting high end gaming. It's about responsiveness and they act like it's impossible to control, which might be true for them if they have issues on their side. I mean... they had been wrong on Stadia already at the beginning. You're acting like the off-screen test would be reliable for non-local hardware that could be affected by a lot of stuff, even just their location. Who says that their environment is ideal? I highly doubt it based on all of their Stadia videos. But that's also the downside of Stadia. Experience can differ heavily based on location etc.

Yes you are. You should be honest here. You were responding to a post saying "DF seems to have it out for Stadia" and your answer for that was "Totally... but it has been like this in every Stadia review by them". You're emphatically agreeing with the claim that DF intentionally badmouth Stadia. If you now want to change your mind and admit that this claim is bullshit, then that's nice, but don't pretend that wasn't what you were originally saying.

No, I'm not and still doesn't mean on purpose. Hence I'm saying that it might be technical issues on their side. No enough with that bullshit.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The point was that they're walking against walls like it's due to latency...
I've already said, that's not what they're doing. They're playing the game. The author might not be good at the game, but that's not necessary for this test. This is no claim in either the video or the article saying that latency was so bad that they couldn't perform basic movement.

I mean... they had been wrong on Stadia already at the beginning.
I suspect that whatever you're thinking of, DF actually said something that was correct (or arguably correct) and you misunderstood them and assumed the worst, just like with this article.

You're acting like the off-screen test would be reliable for non-local hardware that could be affected by a lot of stuff, even just their location.
Of course it's reliable. That's the results they got. They're not saying that everyone in the entire world will get the same results, they're presenting the results that they got. They're not invalid just because they're not universal.

What do you want them to do if their results are affected by location? Look up where the data centre is and move house?

No, I'm not and still doesn't mean on purpose. Hence I'm saying that it might be technical issues on their side. No enough with that bullshit.
Someone said that DF had it out for Stadia, and you agreed. That's what happened, it's in plain text. Anyone who's not sure can just scroll up and re-read it and see that you're lying now.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I think all the DF video does is make people think 79 milliseconds is way longer than it actually is.
*Shrug*

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Still loving Division 2 outside of some eerie parallels to what is happening right now.....1 day to decide if I should jump on AC3 or not before the sale ends

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Still loving Division 2 outside of some eerie parallels to what is happening right now.....1 day to decide if I should jump on AC3 or not before the sale ends

Great game and great port. (Beside 30fps only, but very stable) You could just buy it and decide within the next two weeks (up to 2 hours playtime) if you want to keep it. That would at least give you a bit more time to think about and try it out if it's your cup of tea.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Great game and great port. (Beside 30fps only, but very stable) You could just buy it and decide within the next two weeks (up to 2 hours playtime) if you want to keep it. That would at least give you a bit more time to think about and try it out if it's your cup of tea.
Good point, keep forgetting about the refund policy.

thx!

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I feel like reviews in general are next to useless for streaming services. I've tried both Stadia and xCloud in at least 5 locations around the US, and I've had it range from unplayable artifacted mess to smooth, superior-to-local experiences and everything in between, depending on:
- internet provider
- WiFi network/router

So honestly, what am I supposed to get out of someone saying "at my house, with my phone, on my ISP, using my router, with these settings, the experience is X"? It's not at all comparable to local hardware, where the pixels and performance occuring at your house will be exactly the same as at my house. It's literally unreproducible.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I feel like reviews in general are next to useless for streaming services. I've tried both Stadia and xCloud in at least 5 locations around the US, and I've had it range from unplayable artifacted mess to smooth, superior-to-local experiences and everything in between, depending on:
- internet provider
- WiFi network/router

So honestly, what am I supposed to get out of someone saying "at my house, with my phone, on my ISP, using my router, with these settings, the experience is X"? It's not at all comparable to local hardware, where the pixels and performance occuring at your house will be exactly the same as at my house. It's literally unreproducible.

I'd agree if they were testing on highly variable configurations or something, but their tests do the best they can to give Stadia it's best shot at running well, aside from moving next-door to a datacenter. Their results should only misrepresent in Stadia's favor, if at all.

The same way their PC performance tests are interesting and useful, despite the fact that I myself might not have the exact same hardware configuration as their test rig.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
- internet provider
- WiFi network/router

Exactly, there will be great to terrible experiences with any streaming service. My issue here is you cannot even have a discussion about it as the thread will be derailed by the third post maximum and still can't comprehend why it is allowed. If there is no real interest in Stadia or streaming then the topic would just fall away quickly.

The change in technology that let's you switch your output medium on the fly is great and defiantly topic worthy. I am working a lot of hours due to this pandemic and a lot of that is waiting on other teams to accomplish their task so I can proceed.
I have been seamlessly playing Division 2 across my second monitor in Chrome, my Galaxy S9 and my 65" 4K HDR TV and it is in my opinion the best version of the game due to the great graphics, framerate, insane loading speeds and offers at least a unique experience with Stream Connect.

It's very frustrating that any discussion about that would be nuked from orbit, so ultimately the trolls win because nobody posts about it.

Last edited:

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
That's why so many of us really want Google to hurry up and get Base tier out, so people can just try it for themselves.
There's no denying the service will vary from location-to-location, but when the opportunity cost of trying it out could be zero, why not just let people give it a go? If it works, well hooray for you!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That's why so many of us really want Google to hurry up and get Base tier out, so people can just try it for themselves.
There's no denying the service will vary from location-to-location, but when the opportunity cost of trying it out could be zero, why not just let people give it a go? If it works, well hooray for you!
They will have to have some kind of demo system in place, it would be pretty crazy to expect someone to buy a game without testing that their setup will work well with Stadia

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'd agree if they were testing on highly variable configurations or something, but their tests do the best they can to give Stadia it's best shot at running well, aside from moving next-door to a datacenter. Their results should only misrepresent in Stadia's favor, if at all.

The same way their PC performance tests are interesting and useful, despite the fact that I myself might not have the exact same hardware configuration as their test rig.

Maybe I'm slow, but what is your first paragraph supposed to mean? They can only report from their own location, on their own ISP. How can that possibly provide me any meaningful data when I have a different ISP and live thousands of miles away?

Sure, I agree entirely.