• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
sIUQJfo.png

CnGAlyN.png

Release Date:
Stadia Premiere Edition - November 19th, 2019
Stadia - April 8th, 2020

7teojmp.png

What is Google Stadia?
Google Stadia is a new gaming platform based around streaming content from a remote server to your screen, be it a television, tablet or phone. It is a service that removes the need for specific hardware that you need to maintain and update.

The service is launching with the Stadia Premiere Edition that includes a Stadia controller, 3 months of Stadia Pro and a Chromecast Ultra.

How do you use it?
There will be two services for the platform: Stadia and Stadia Pro.
tHNgeus.png
atW7S6N.png

You must be a member of either the free or paid (Pro) service to purchase and play games. The Pro service will give you enhancements such as included games, 4k streaming and 5.1 surround sound. Pro is not required to play purchased games.

Will it work with my current connection speed?
Google has a tool here for seeing how your setup will work with the service:
https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

NAtmKBr.png

What happens if I lose connection?
The Stadia app will retain your instance for 10 minutes to give you time to reconnect.

Is this a service like Game Pass or PSNow where I get access to games?
Not really. While you will get some titles through the Stadia Pro service, the majority of the lineup at launch is only available through purchasing them separately.

Game pricing?
Detailed here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...a-games-pro-subscribers-get-discounts.153854/

Mq0kXJa.png

Game Streaming
The big one, you will be able to buy and stream games from the Stadia service starting on November 19th in 14 countries:
Belgium, Finland, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and the *USA.

*Excluding Hawaii, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands

Chromecast Ultra, Chrome and Pixel support
Stadia will launch on *Chromecast Ultras, the Chrome web browser and a variety of Pixel (Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 3a XL).

*Only Chromecast Ultras that are shipped with the Stadia Controller will have the new firmware to connect to the Stadia service. Support for existing Chromecast Ultras will come "soon" after Stadia launches.

Stadia Pro
Stadia Pro is a subscription service that will let you play purchased titles at—up to—4k, 60fps and with 5.1 surround sound. Stadia Pro will also include a small pool of titles (starting off with Destiny 2: The Collection and Samurai Shodown) and will cost 9.99 USD a month once the time from Stadia Premier has ended.

Cross-Progression and Cross-Save
These are supported by it's on a game-by-game basis but there are no restrictions from Google preventing their implementation.

Existing Controller Support
Stadia (browser/mobile) works with a variety of HID compliant controllers such as the DualShock 4 and Xbox One gamepad.

Family Link
Stadia's parental controls, which allows users to set permissions for child accounts similar to the parental controls for Google Play apps.

ZYtBjgM.png

Stadia Base
As mentioned above, Stadia Base is a free service that allows users to play purchased games through a 1080p stream and stereo audio. It is coming at some point in 2020.

Additional Mobile Platforms
Stadia will support Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 3a XL at launch but more mobile platforms will be added in the future.

Crowd Play
Crowd Play allows viewers to instantly join-in and play with someone hosting a Stadia livestream.

State Share
State Share lets you share a playable moment from the game to other users. Think of it as a sharable save state.

Stream Connect
Essentially a pseudo-splitscreen where Stadia runs multiple instances of a game on a single screen.

Uplay+
Sometime in 2020 subscribers to the Uplay+ service will be able to play their titles through Stadia. The specific requirements (such as working with Stadia Base or not) are still TBA.

Family Sharing
Early in 2020 you will be able to share some part of the Stadia experience with friends and family, but the specifics are yet not nailed down by the Stadia team at the time of writing.

Wireless Play on More Devices
The Stadia controller can directly connect to the Stadia service but only when paired with a Chromecast Ultra. The feature will be available on more platforms after launch.

Mod Support
This will be allowed on a game-by-game basis and specific details are still TBA.

Viewing Achievements
Achievements are going to be active at the launch of Stadia, you just won't be able to view them or get notifications until an update that will be released shortly after Stadia launches.

Google Assistant
Initially you can use Google Assistant to launch games but over time it have greater control of the interface and things such as giving solutions to puzzles.

ySqLeKn.png

Launch lineup
Pu2ieCiWlRuO4HSggnQFYP7DdG7PquJeRc3mzyaxT91tvrCORlINA8fzgNEMTYkbvaX0nvP6Bh_GQF7MCdDRHA=rw-w190
thNq7lfZGzmof2uGX1kx5ZozlXudJfAOjk5hKGCi0bIXvDP9odqYBgMGePFiv7RbGEi3dAtvgz7Qyk318kRSnA=rw-w190
y9HM2YX-3yoWIEms0awbraffNde52irGgEHY01YeXDrMIUJalQY90-2-kiXbTKE5xNQqpK5uwqVAn4zpNLsmfQ=rw-w190

5Zgjt-q-YP1JB8__CqQ64NkL4UYbm-XYhSIGlxXKwHMT3xksDc4WXq1Rxg6EE06_OPNYKPxIVZtHPe6rzz1cIg=rw-w190
QJMqGPUZE9AASzYCTYmclHv0giGzh1vYzQm8xqbJnDVYMo-OqtyX-38Gbf85jQDtWQqnQtrrvbFpzHoP63jHjQ=rw-w190
ccmOPg-y8AcwMFjZX-DaplEZdY-KE5gyKKtzENxLOInDq3TBbWu-8bxlWFeq6goRDlPlLEjlSNx69JP5yHWS=rw-w190

7m_h2bxQyDezcuz0ZePrn-nVKvVa6EcIkmtU46K56Bi7uOPbYyM9Chmw7gb6rE5hFFMpNQF5zJ1pn62Llv21uQw=rw-w190
J-XQ3P70QuFt5sWkzTDYpxT4VXaCbGw6fKJl5tbdCYwgqYCxMFXCrMX-2qUhq_SVijffmiN-DnM2sXiZqDqJJg=rw-w190
1g4pOods3PCEVJI5eryobgH9ADiMWX3G0eFSn630DWfkwFmGVbcoFve24hHiNI3v1A1hT2j__DlFYZlNpSyQuvc=rw-w190

ViehMdFX0Za3DpfTm5QYMCl7t4zxF_1uILs-MGjMejLmcFGHGOPLPJ0arZuN6QfK00CWM7Upe99qogSuehdR_A=rw-w190
5YVMF1Xii9nxL4-z4hZzjxj4IEUX7xfjcMaVqbmgI3iUJO9fHaetHDjyLOqZEhxGazV3d4S8UlT95BYimkgF=rw-w190
vSBcSIUSVDhquPM4SjdXgjMfU-D9gT0HUBFvhLzQofLFll2DleMixmnAKzsp8MOdMWjW6_QoktZ_ILwhDkNmpQ=rw-w190

rLn_y5ekGq4sklCNjiMMPWY4mcv_y0pX1RpW9xHu5bhwpkBgppxI8O1OpmG3Etrl6XNGR4s7AAwQepS7rbe5=rw-w190
Odv1eiPgqDTRBLz-H7zpKofjeVfTrRd7NvBT9IIXwHtfQigsv5uvK9ZLZUn6L0pu5lLb9eFpXHj7vVU8F84gHQ=rw-w190
XxP1OnHYj03yYt9Cpd33gpqUHVaTwLul-zQp7wYHi42DmggIdBtu1K8P4eebmVqRv-rg45inPoB4qXATgEwjZQM=rw-w190

mbJ0lj8a4jBjgL_kiuS18b26P_9yL77S-fX63WYA6xx8334QMDbzjeoQGgQ9iYsKxW186Bbg5v3unJ09G8a3YA=rw-w190
xm-BGyPbzzqYVLzfjY0KPhN49bX-ZHNgTHeSnL8ivFxwRro8zjlNfqmDcADKV5olh5yRVqZPlQy3LDCSZzL40w=rw-w190
E8wHp1x5nnUMuvtZed3FnvW3Q6gL_eIWAjr_UqM7atpmybm6PtifN5pjJUutYgzqXAypVYZGDxACrVTbW9HT=rw-w190

WXNNduOCpnI954ozGMj7dZFKf6OnjlosVlBLwqYrWQxp8YKYtoZKq4_J-mzM76oI2nqxj_F2CBoPxWVnf0B3b44=rw-w190
O_hyJP6tGkCZyfhbF2xtH6o_2scF0l5UFkG87RY8xIz_BCJaEb8oOOvvY-1qrMGL4d_6vXWHY7Ku3Vc6VWnF=rw-w190
6bC3PtFu2hdbrvPRHKC4TyMSCeagaJS54fTixYzcL2Z71GmcMI8XmPWC5vBVwwUq_VwZGjAf-M6Fbaj9yl_ZCA=rw-w190

y1M_-ebk4d-XwJyXueUJU4X8qDJdFemSrUyalz5nmXxDd6wYy3uTOsP-C2KAVEICk9pxXsIzzWyzvOwMJjSzvw=rw-w190

qRUMrrE.png

The Guardian 3/5
Ultimately, the only real benefit of the system is the absence of that box under the TV. If your impeccable sense of interior design values that above game selection, price, offline play or community size, go for it. Otherwise, stick with a home console if AAA games are where your heart lies, or pick up Apple Arcade to see what a revolution looks like when it focuses on the games and not the technology.

Digital Foundry
Perhaps more pressing is the value proposition. Netflix works because the subscription model is easy to understand - you pay extra for more screens and UHD but that's it. Stadia is the same in terms of demanding a premium for UHD (even if key titles don't seem to be rendering at 4K) except that you're still paying top-end prices for your games on top of that. Combined with the feeling that the platform and the ecosystem is still some way off completion and I do feel that it's perhaps too early for Stadia to be rolling out as a full service, especially when games are limited and the all-important platform exclusives are very thin on the ground.

oM54iZF.png

Store
Official FAQ
Review Thread
Community Site
Refund Policies

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 looks to run at a higher frame rate when played through the browser (which is locked at a 1080p output).

Might answer the question as to whether Stadia Base will render at a lower resolution vs just being downsampled from the Pro '4k'.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Game Streaming
The big one, you will be able to buy and stream games from the Stadia service starting on November 19th in 14 countries:
Belgium, Finland, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Pain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and the *USA.

*Excluding Hawaii, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands​
As someone who's in a constant state of pain, I'm glad Stadia will work for me if I get around to using the service

I think you meant to write Spain

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
The "oh, duh" moment for me was realizing when they say "resolution = 4K/60" that's for streaming, not rendering

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Thanks for the heads up. How odd... I don't understand why the experience seems to be so different across devices. Isn't it just fundamentally a video feed being decoded?

Depends on how google is doing it. For now Chrome doesn't support a 4k feed so it's getting a 1080p feed. The question is does Google run the game @1080p in that scenario or do they just downgrade the feed? It sounds like they are running the game 1080p, hence the better performance.

Of course it's also possible DF goofed something up in their analysis and it's actually closer to 60 FPS on Chromecast.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting the reviews for Gylt, Stadia's sole exclusive for launch.

Opencritic | Metacritic

Gamesradar 3.5/5
Collectively, Gylt feels like yet another intriguing one-off game from Tequila Works, who now has developed five games in 10 years without any sequels, while no two of their games even exist in the same genre. That's extremely rare and praiseworthy, even if Gylt isn't their best game. Its unique world-building and stylish audio and visuals keep afloat a tired gameplay suite, making it a worthwhile time for genre fans, especially those embarking on their first horror story.

DualShockers 8/10
While Google's current exclusive pipeline of Gylt, Get Packed, and Orcs Must Die! 3 can be looked at as somewhat malnourished, it also shows a bit more variation than other first-party lineups. And if Google Stadia's future exclusives are just as good, if not better, than Gylt, that is a good sign.

Destructoid 7/10
Solid and definitely has an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Grid is looking pretty darn great - considering the reviews of other Stadia games I had figured this morning's 4k trailer was footage from another platform, but then I realized, it's showing the exclusive Stadia 40-car endurance mode (the other versions of the game max out at 16 cars).

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I'm waiting on mine to ship. I was mainly getting it for Destiny 2. I wanted a version equivalent to the PC version that I could play away from my PC. Unfortunately, that won't be the case but at least it will have the reduced loading times.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I'm waiting on mine to ship. I was mainly getting it for Destiny 2. I wanted a version equivalent to the PC version that I could play away from my PC. Unfortunately, that won't be the case but at least it will have the reduced loading times.

Yeah, I was expecting 4K60fps with a FOV slider as the default FOV is awful on consoles.

Sadly the only thing we'll be getting from that short list is the 60fps (and as you said, MUCH better loading times).

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Grid is looking pretty darn great - considering the reviews of other Stadia games I had figured this morning's 4k trailer was footage from another platform, but then I realized, it's showing the exclusive Stadia 40-car endurance mode (the other versions of the game max out at 16 cars).

After the recent reviews I'm not sure why you would trust any official trailer or information coming out of google.

They've completely discredited themselves, and so this trailer is worthless.

Does look cool though!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That's the silver lining out of this, wanted to try out the tech and play d2. Surprised at the low specs but my biggest beef against the game is loading tunes e on the ps4.

Great OT

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

40 cars at once with increased latency ove playing locally - I'd like to see real-world footage of how that plays out.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A era stadia ot would include the two most negative review blurbs possible ( and i know for fact there were plenty of glowing positive review blurbs to choose from)

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Anyone got their invite codes yet?

Mine shipped this morning and I thought I would've got an invite code with that email to reserve my name and all that but nope, nothing so far.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
How much are we talking? Do you have access to the prices? This could tip me over the edge if they are taking the Micky with prices.
Posted a link to the Eurogamer story about it just below the post you're quoting.

EDIT: To be transparent, I'm not a streaming nay-sayer. I use game streaming, and I like it, but Stadia has an awful business model. If you're honestly willing to pay circa £200 to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on your phone this side of Christmas, you have to accept that you're the edgest-of-edge-cases.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
After the recent reviews I'm not sure why you would trust any official trailer or information coming out of google.

They've completely discredited themselves, and so this trailer is worthless.

Does look cool though!
This isn't coming out of Google, it's coming out of Codemasters. And it's actual video of the Stadia version. So what exactly could be discredited? It'd be a little bit softer image due to the video compression as opposed to direct feed is all.

Anyone got their invite codes yet?

Mine shipped this morning and I thought I would've got an invite code with that email to reserve my name and all that but nope, nothing so far.
Invite codes won't start going out until 9am this morning (Pacific time). They said the invite codes go out when preorders go out, except for orders that ship before 9am November 19. They don't want anyone accessing the service before the official launch.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I cancelled my preorder due to the reported sub par game performance (as opposed to streaming performance), but I'll be keeping an eye on things to see if there's any improvement on that front.

I was going to use this service for things like Cyberpunk to get better than X1X performance. My PC is getting on a bit and I can't really afford to keep upgrading it. I'm hoping there is still a chance for this.