• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
On the matter of using old Chromecasts:
A reminder that most existing (not-bundled) Chromecast devices will not support Stadia until they're updated over the next few weeks. You can check if your Chromecast Ultra can run Stadia by checking if it's running version
or above. If your Chromecast is not on that version, attempting to play games on that Chromecast will fail until it receives the upcoming Stadia update. For now, we recommend using the Chromecast Ultra in your bundle to play.
Source

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Even in their own community forums there is zero information being provided by Google. One hour past the official launch and nadda.

I don't see any instance of anyone getting a code yet

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Charpunk ordered June 6, shortly after pre-orders went up. I also ordered June 6, a few hours after the event.
Thanks, saw someone on Reddit from June 10th. So much for order received. Shipping I get due to logistics but the code should have been very easy to do properly

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah people are bitching about the "first come first serve get your username" advertising.

Google gonna have a lot of complaints on their hands if day-one orders don't get their desired usernames lol

It was such a weird thing to market their service with and I don't think anyone actually cared that much... but a promise is a promise lol

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie allegedly had Google devs embedded in their team to port to Stadia for months though.

Honestly, I hate to be that guy... but I kind of doubt the Grid thing is much more than "A mod like this only works with our net code well on LAN".. which is of course a good Stadia feature (that multiplayer works like a LAN) but I have my doubts it was some advanced coding going on.
The point is that unlike Destiny, Grid seems exactly what was promised, 4k/60 with high quality rendering, but this time with a mode rendering 40 cars instead of 16.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The point is that unlike Destiny, Grid seems exactly what was promised, 4k/60 with high quality rendering, but this time with a mode rendering 40 cars instead of 16.
And I'm doubting that was due to some larger amount of effort put into the port compared to games that are disappointments like Destiny 2.

That's what their point was about; wasn't your post I was responding to so not sure how you can declare what the "point" is.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Should have had a page that you used your Stadia-Google linked account for that went live at a time for choosing a name.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I swear they are doing their damndest to piss off the only people who fucking care about their product right now. Do better!

edit: saltiness intensifies

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm doubting that was due to some larger amount of effort put into the port compared to games that are disappointments like Destiny 2.

That's what their point was about; wasn't your post I was responding to so not sure how you can declare what the "point" is.
So if the reason the graphical port was done so much better in Grid than Destiny isn't "more work", what reason do you think it is? Netcode running locally wouldn't allow better graphics.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I got my code 4 minutes after the servers went live.
Well we are nearing two hour mark and still no codes for any one else here. Not there are even dozens of us lmao...

7nnFe8y.gif

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So if the reason the graphical port was done so much better in Grid than Destiny isn't "more work", what reason do you think it is? Netcode running locally wouldn't allow better graphics.
What do you mean better graphics?

What we were told was that Google worked w/ Bungie directly for 6 months on the port.. it is the premiere game for the service. What reason do we have to believe that it was lacking in effort? That was my only point.

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my hardware in a little bit ago and got everything set up, waiting on code to start signing into the app and testing it out.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are slowly rolling out codes to not kill the servers. Which would be amusing if they can't even handle the founders traffic.
No doubt about that, but we are seeing reports that codes are not being distributed on a first come first served basis, as it was promised.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well we are nearing two hour mark and still no codes for any one else here. Not there are even dozens of us lmao...

7nnFe8y.gif
Yup. Killed my buzz for the day, following on from the Destiny stuff yesterday.
Wasn't even sure what name to pick 100%, had a few to try. Was mainly excited for that opening and rush to get one.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if I could actually use this on my Android phone. I guess that's asking too much.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean better graphics?

What we were told was that Google worked w/ Bungie directly for 6 months on the port.. it is the premiere game for the service. What reason do we have to believe that it was lacking in effort? That was my only point.
My point was that Grid is providing exactly the graphical level that was promised and would be expected on the hardware, and Destiny 2 isn't. Despite Destiny 2 being clearly able to run at ultra quality at 4k on Vega56 at 50-60fps in Windows. And Shadow of the Tomb Raider, same thing, it's running as Google promised, and has similar performance to Vega56 benchmarks in Windows.

That's the reason we have to believe Destiny was lacking in effort, despite knowing that at least 2 people from Google were embedded at Bungie during Destiny's port.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
My point was that Grid is providing exactly the graphical level that was promised and would be expected on the hardware, and Destiny 2 isn't. Despite Destiny 2 being clearly able to run at ultra quality at 4k on Vega56 at 50-60fps in Windows. And Shadow of the Tomb Raider, same thing, it's running as Google promised, and has similar performance to Vega56 benchmarks in Windows.

That's the reason we have to believe Destiny was lacking in effort, despite knowing that at least 2 people from Google were embedded at Bungie during Destiny's port.

The whole thing with destiny makes absolutely zero sense. The only thing I can think of is they intentionally lowered the settings so they can run more streams per server since it's a free game that more people are probably going to be playing.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing with destiny makes absolutely zero sense. The only thing I can think of is they intentionally lowered the settings so they can run more streams per server since it's a free game that more people are probably going to be playing.
Maybe, but that would be shit-tier fuckery.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: ‘lazy devs’ rhetoric
It's honestly baffling, it makes no sense that the premier Stadia game that is guaranteed every founder will play would end up being upconverted 1080p at Medium quality. Makes me wonder if Destiny 2's rendering system was just so super-optimized for DirectX or something they couldn't get it running good in Vulkan. I really hate the "lazy developer" thing, it's rarely real, but in this case I honestly can't think of any other reason, since other games aren't having the same problems. I mean, if I were Google, I would have even delayed Stadia's launch if Destiny 2 was so bad.

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
For now there's no way to play it free and I'm still skeptical that's going to happen any time soon. Makes no sense to flood your fledgling service with a bunch of freeloaders who may or may not be paying themselves back but they're a continuous drain on your profits even if they don't. Not to mention F2P service games tend to get people who play long hours compared to the more standard games.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yes... I've been reporting a bunch of posts/usernames on there. Please do the same. They don't seem to have any moderation or official presence right now.

I think they're all hiding under their desks because of how poorly this is going at the moment...

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My point was that Grid is providing exactly the graphical level that was promised and would be expected on the hardware, and Destiny 2 isn't. Despite Destiny 2 being clearly able to run at ultra quality at 4k on Vega56 at 50-60fps in Windows.

And Shadow of the Tomb Raider, same thing, it's running as Google promised, and has similar performance to Vega56 benchmarks in Windows.

For one; do we have actual graphical settings / perf analysis on Grid yet?

And do we even really have that for Tomb Raider?

I don't know much about either game and expectations vs. what we got TBH.. Destiny is way below expectations for sure though.

I just don't assume "lack of effort" as a reason.. that just isn't what we've been told nor does it really make sense. The engine could be using GPU features that other games aren't that don't perform well on Linux for instance, or just not work very well with Vulkan. Any number of issues could happen, just as some games might have been really easy to port (works great, little effort.)

But from what I've seen.. your bolded statement is false. True of 1440p, but 4k Ultra settings in D2 struggle to go much above 40 FPS from what I've seen.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Stadia's the future... right? Are we sure that's not because they're still living in the past? xD

a3xgv4w6moz31.png

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
AIM lol...How old was the person that designed that page. I am waiting to hear impressions from Era but since Destiny 2 seems to be a mess on Stadia ima hold off

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Ordered 9:30am Pacific Time June 6th. Got my Stadia and was confused when I didn't see any invite codes or anything in there. Started setting everything up and it asks for a code.. Searched all thru the box again and found nothing. Then saw they're supposed to email you a code..... how were they not sent out already, and why weren't they just included in the dam boxes? lol. Man, this sux. Now looking thru here, seems like a lot of other ppl have that problem. :(

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered 9:30am Pacific Time June 6th. Got my Stadia and was confused when I didn't see any invite codes or anything in there. Started setting everything up and it asks for a code.. Searched all thru the box again and found nothing. Then saw they're supposed to email you a code..... how were they not sent out already, and why weren't they just included in the dam boxes? lol. Man, this sux. Now looking thru here, seems like a lot of other ppl have that problem. :(
You can be happy you got your hardware. I also pre-ordered day one and I won't have hardware for another two day. Don't have a code either.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Still no code 2.5hrs later.

Getting a little pathetic now, considering people are waiting to see if their username is free as a large selling point of Founders.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
But from what I've seen.. your bolded statement is false. True of 1440p, but 4k Ultra settings in D2 struggle to go much above 40 FPS from what I've seen.
I was basing that on benchmarks, I found multiple benchmarks of Destiny 2 running on Vega56 GPUs, they were all running at 50-60fps, the slowest I found was one at 48 (note, these benchmarks are from after launch - during beta the game ran far worse on Vega56). But again, that's at ultra, 4k, if they had that working they could have dropped quality down just a tad to get 60fps - heck, I don't think it would have been viewed as bad if it was running at ultra but 1080p upconverted. But that slider on DF is just damning when you see all the details just disappear on the Stadia side.

For Tomb Raider, DF's review mentioned it, said it was missing like one effect at the 30fps mode, otherwise it was Ultra. And that matches online benchmarks with Vega56, around 26fps at Ultra at 4k.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
You can be happy you got your hardware. I also pre-ordered day one and I won't have hardware for another two day. Don't have a code either.
Brutal :(. I was shocked when I got the hardware this early. But also doesn't do me much if I can't use it and it just sits here teasing me, lol. This is SUCH a botched launch, it's insane. Hope you get yours soon!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, D2 performance is absolute madness. No idea what happened there. Was really looking forward to jumping back in on a 10.7 TF GPU!

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The reason the code is not in the box is because some Founders boxes won't arrive for a week. Since the claim is you don't need special hardware every founder should be able to start on day one with just the code to create an account. But Google is now also fucking up the delivery of simple emails.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
The reason the code is not in the box is because some Founders boxes won't arrive for a week. Since the claim is you don't need special hardware every founder should be able to start on day one with just the code to create an account. But Google is now also fucking up the delivery of simple emails.
Ooohhhh. I mean, I guess that's a "good" reason. But then why not do all this stuff earlier, like a week before launch. lol