• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your connection doesn't have anything to do with the framerate that Stadia games render at on the server side. It's game-by-game as far as framerate goes.
Presumably if your connection is having speed problems, the streaming API would lower the framerate so the stream consumes less bandwidth. Of course if the native/server-side render is 30FPS then that isn't going to help.

Looking at the database linked above, it's kind of a bummer how many games are just streamed at 30. Looks like pretty much everything from Ubisoft is 30 (so I guess that's what I should expect from Immortals). RDR2 at 30FPS is also disheartening.

I hope they are able to do 60 for Cyberpunk, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Presumably if your connection is having speed problems, the streaming API would lower the framerate so the stream consumes less bandwidth. Of course if the native/server-side render is 30FPS then that isn't going to help.

Looking at the database linked above, it's kind of a bummer how many games are just streamed at 30. Looks like pretty much everything from Ubisoft is 30 (so I guess that's what I should expect from Immortals). RDR2 at 30FPS is also disheartening.

I hope they are able to do 60 for Cyberpunk, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

RDR2 does 60fps if you stream at 1080p.

It was my preferred way to play the game rather than PS4 Pro.

Curwen

Aug 19, 2020

Note that a bunch of game run at 60 FPS when you put 1080p res. For example rdr2 or borderlands 3

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

I think their streaming optimization prefers to lower the image quality rather than framerate. Think they spoke about how pretty much everything is streamed at 60fps (even if it's rendered server-side at 30), but my memory may be unreliable there.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
So suddenly finding myself joining the Stadia platform with the next-gen consoles being sold out (got my hands on Series S but that won't cut it for Cyberpunk) for the holidays and my PC being rather aged.

The Cyberpunk preorder deal with Stadia Premiere Edition in combination with the Google One promo (3 months stadia trial for a 2 euro Google One subscription that can be cancelled after a month) is pretty good deal even if I completely drop Stadia after finishing Cyberpunk in a few months. Haven't gotten access yet to the extended Stadia Pro trial so hoping they do it soon so I can spend the 10 euro credit during the current sales.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I got my Youtube promotional Stadia Premiere and have been using it a lot over the weekend... I have used it a ton on my PC but this is the first time I have used in with the Stadia Controller and Chromecast Ultra over WiFi on a TV.

Works 99.99% perfect... would be perfect if I did not have 10min downtime due to a connection issue ;P

I have to say I like playing on my TV and then when my wife wants to use it I just seamlessly walk over to my PC and pick up right where I was without a hitch.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Youtube promotional Stadia Premiere and have been using it a lot over the weekend... I have used it a ton on my PC but this is the first time I have used in with the Stadia Controller and Chromecast Ultra over WiFi on a TV.

Works 99.99% perfect... would be perfect if I did not have 10min downtime due to a connection issue ;P

I have to say I like playing on my TV and then when my wife wants to use it I just seamlessly walk over to my PC and pick up right where I was without a hitch.

Yep that is a very cool feature.. Last week when Star Wars was released my son was playing Dead by Daylight on Stadia and I told him to go back to the CCU Dash. I bought the game on my phone and it showed up for him to play instantly.. he was so happy. Was playing the game in seconds... at times it feels like magic. The tech is fantastic.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
I think their streaming optimization prefers to lower the image quality rather than framerate. Think they spoke about how pretty much everything is streamed at 60fps (even if it's rendered server-side at 30), but my memory may be unreliable there.

This is correct, and IIRC a function of video streaming.

When you are streaming a video, the server isn't sending you 1 whole frame for every frame you see. If it worked that way, then yes, lowering your framerrate to 30 fps would use less bandwith than sending 60 frames per second.

But what you are REALLY receiving when streaming a video is the "difference" or delta since the last received frame. Therefore, if you ask the server for the video difference at 30 fps vs 60 fps, there's going to be a lot less pixels that change between frames at 60fps than 30fps, enough to even offset the bandwith cost of asking for a frame more often, especially with the various compression algorithms they use on top of it

Apr 21, 2018
Stupid questions for Stadia or Cloud gaming experts. :)

Stadia seems currently on par with Xbox One X/Series S performances but what about the next evolution? Were there any annoucements about Ray Tracing ? Are we likely to see random slight compressions, framerate improvements each year ? Or a massive step up like a Stadia Gen 2 to rival PS5 or Series X ?

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Stupid questions for Stadia or Cloud gaming experts. :)

Stadia seems currently on par with Xbox One X/Series S performances but what about the next evolution? Were there any annoucements about Ray Tracing ? Are we likely to see random slight compressions, framerate improvements each year ? Or a massive step up like a Stadia Gen 2 to rival PS5 or Series X ?
Hard to say until Google or devs leak some solid specs regarding "Stadia Gen 2". All we've heard so far are rumors that some devs are working with the new hardware. I do expect a "Gen 2" probably some time next year but it's up in the air if Google will even announce this or quietly upgrade their server blades. The whole point of Stadia is to basically never have to worry about hardware specs so they might just not even say anything.

As a reminder, these games will be available for Pro subscribers in a few hours:
Into the Breach, Hitman 2, musical puzzler Kine, monster truck racer Monster Jam Steel Titans, space combat roguelike Everspace, and multiplayer Hello Neighbor spinoff Secret Neighbor. You'll no longer be able to claim Superhot, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Little Nightmares, Hello Neighbor, or Super Bomberman R Online after November 30, so grab 'em while you can.

Google also quietly released Outward today:
https://stadia.google.com/store/det...1a0rcp1/sku/6eaae50957c0401e8d6d893bda9d9b97p

Tomorrow will also see the release of Chronos: Before the Ashes:

On another note, I bought Xenoverse 2 yesterday. I am a bit surprised...I remember reading this was a bad port but it seems fine to me. I already own the game on Switch and the graphical improvement is clearly evident and it does play pretty smooth (not sure if 60 FPS...it seems like it but I'm kinda bad at detecting 30 FPS vs 60 FPS). The biggest thing though is the loading...my gosh this game had a ton of loading on other platforms and while the Stadia port is no different, it's now at least super fast. I also purchased the Legendary Patrol DLC (basically all the Xenoverse missions made for Xenoverse 2) which from what I'm reading only ever came out for Switch. Only $12.98 for both so it's a fun little cheap diversion to jump into every now and then.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Hard to say until Google or devs leak some solid specs regarding "Stadia Gen 2". All we've heard so far are rumors that some devs are working with the new hardware. I do expect a "Gen 2" probably some time next year but it's up in the air if Google will even announce this or quietly upgrade their server blades. The whole point of Stadia is to basically never have to worry about hardware specs so they might just not even say anything.

As a reminder, these games will be available for Pro subscribers in a few hours:

Google also quietly released Outward today:
https://stadia.google.com/store/det...1a0rcp1/sku/6eaae50957c0401e8d6d893bda9d9b97p

Tomorrow will also see the release of Chronos: Before the Ashes:

On another note, I bought Xenoverse 2 yesterday. I am a bit surprised...I remember reading this was a bad port but it seems fine to me. I already own the game on Switch and the graphical improvement is clearly evident and it does play pretty smooth (not sure if 60 FPS...it seems like it but I'm kinda bad at detecting 30 FPS vs 60 FPS). The biggest thing though is the loading...my gosh this game had a ton of loading on other platforms and while the Stadia port is no different, it's now at least super fast. I also purchased the Legendary Patrol DLC (basically all the Xenoverse missions made for Xenoverse 2) which from what I'm reading only ever came out for Switch. Only $12.98 for both so it's a fun little cheap diversion to jump into every now and then.

Thanx :)

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
December Pro games up for grabs now. Just played Into the Breach for the first time and the hour just seemed to pass by... I'm going to spend a crazy amount of time with this beauty and the fact that it's perfectly playable with on-screen controls is the icing on the cake. Plus there's a Large Text option!

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
December Pro games up for grabs now. Just played Into the Breach for the first time and the hour just seemed to pass by... I'm going to spend a crazy amount of time with this beauty and the fact that it's perfectly playable with on-screen controls is the icing on the cake. Plus there's a Large Text option!
Nice. Yeah, the touch screen controls are great. It's great for simpler games that you can actually play on them but even on more complex games (i.e. Division 2, Destiny, Assassin's Creed) it's great to jump in quickly if you want to check your character/store/quests. Hah, if you're brave enough then you can even try to play them with it...I'm sure some people can but I sure as hell can't.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
No update on outcasters :(

Hoping to hear some news from them on Thursday. For a game that's supposed to release by fall 2020, I'm still surprised they haven't announced a release date.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
No update on outcasters :(

Hoping to hear some news from them on Thursday. For a game that's supposed to release by fall 2020, I'm still surprised they haven't announced a release date.
I'm waiting for Outcasters news as well. I've said this before but this is prime time for Google to get some accessible multiplayer games in front of a broad audience.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I agree, I'm hoping the game drops Thursday on that stream but that might be too hopeful lmao.

Free 2 play would be even better! Stadia as great momentum right now, a lot of people are joining the ecosystem and it's been a lot less toxic on all social media channels. Much more positive. I bet the free 2 play titles are onboarding a lot of new players since the biggest hurdle for stadia is to get people actually testing the service.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone having trouble with touch controls on chromebooks? My pixelbook requires me to mouse-over something, and then physically touch the part of the screen where my mouse cursor is in order to click on anything. Tried posting on the reddit but no dice.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Hmmmmmm, I believe so? My assumption was that it was going F2P across all regions.

Also Everspace (which released today as a Pro game) will be getting a patch next year to bump up the resolution to 4k (I think right now it's 1080p) along with some other improvements. I believe all the settings right now are set to Epic. Pretty interesting to hear that as is right now it can run at an almost solid 60 FPS in native 4k however due to Google's strict criteria they had to abandon that (for now). Maybe the strict criteria is why we're not seeing any newer Ubisoft games aim for 60 FPS?
https://stadiasource.com/article/1271/Everspace-To-Get-4K-Support-In-2021
We used upscaling tied to using DnyRes at the same time, but this caused the game to lack a solid 30FPS in 4K. Turning both off, Everspace almost runs at 60FPS in native 4k(!!!). But we still missed Google's rather strict criterion for frame rate stability. Epic announced improvements for DynRes in UE4.26. As far as I am aware, upscaling can be used independently of DynRes as of UE4.20 or a little earlier. I need to invest some more time into this, but I am confident to get smooth 4k soonish(TM). Releasing the game as it is meant weighting different positions, considering long term plans and time slots.
"Bringing the original EVERSPACE to Stadia was more than a commercial business decision for us," said Michael Schade, ROCKFISH Games CEO and Co-founder. "Thanks to Stadia, we can finally offer tens of million space pilots around the globe the chance to enjoy EVERSPACE at a high quality gameplay experience even without owning a capable PC or console."

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can now switch between performance and quality mode on Stadia in 4k mode. Also seems like Ghost Recon Breakpoint got this

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Talking about the FPS, when you use the "monitoring overlay" so you see resolution fps etc, the fps shown there is that the actual fps the game runs in or the fps of your streaming feed...or would that be the same?

Im confused as Im currently playing The Crew 2 in 1080p, it says 60fps in the overlay. But all info I read about the game is that it is actually only 30 fps on stadia? So what is true, it feels smooth I would hope its 60 fps for the piece of mind :)

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Talking about the FPS, when you use the "monitoring overlay" so you see resolution fps etc, the fps shown there is that the actual fps the game runs in or the fps of your streaming feed...or would that be the same?

Im confused as Im currently playing The Crew 2 in 1080p, it says 60fps in the overlay. But all info I read about the game is that it is actually only 30 fps on stadia? So what is true, it feels smooth I would hope its 60 fps for the piece of mind :)

Game stream is always 60 fps, doesn't mean the game runs at 60. The Crew 2 is 30 fps on Stadia.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Its the FPS of the video stream, which is always 60.
Games will run at whatever FPS the developers can achieve on the hardware. In The Crew 2 it is, as you suspect, 30fps. Its a nice and stable 30fps though, and I've found the game to be perfectly enjoyable at that frame-rate.

EDIT: Beaten by Bahlor!

Apr 21, 2018
Hmmmmmm, I believe so? My assumption was that it was going F2P across all regions.

Also Everspace (which released today as a Pro game) will be getting a patch next year to bump up the resolution to 4k (I think right now it's 1080p) along with some other improvements. I believe all the settings right now are set to Epic. Pretty interesting to hear that as is right now it can run at an almost solid 60 FPS in native 4k however due to Google's strict criteria they had to abandon that (for now). Maybe the strict criteria is why we're not seeing any newer Ubisoft games aim for 60 FPS?
https://stadiasource.com/article/1271/Everspace-To-Get-4K-Support-In-2021
It launched today.

It took 2 minutes to... Launch the game, find rivals (less than 5 seconds) and be atomized by 3 other players. :)

2 fucking minutes !!!

When I bought the Saturn version decades ago, i had to invite friends and pay over 100 dollars for the game, extra controllers, multitap to enjoy a battle...

Now it's free and I don't have to fight against AI when I'm alone...

It's responsive, fun.

Bomber Man for Stadia is freaking awesome.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
It launched today.

It took 2 minutes to... Launch the game, find rivals (less than 5 seconds) and be atomized by 3 other players. :)

2 fucking minutes !!!

When I bought the Saturn version decades ago, i had to invite friends and pay over 100 dollars for the game, extra controllers, multitap to enjoy a battle...

Now it's free and I don't have to fight against AI when I'm alone...

It's responsive, fun.

Bomber Man for Stadia is freaking awesome.
Glad to hear you had a positive experience! Pretty amazing right? I really need to jump into the game more, I played it for a bit when it first came out but fell off. I'm sure since it's F2P now it'll be more active so you're playing against more actual players rather than bots.

In other news I actually got invited to try Luna out yesterday. I went ahead and accepted and decided to get the Luna controller as well (that won't arrive until Saturday).

First impressions of the service is that it's overall very good but is obviously still very early as far as what it offers.

The streaming clarity itself is great and honestly (at 1080p) I can't tell a difference between Stadia and Luna.

Responsiveness though (using a Bluetooth controller currently) there's just a tiny bit of a delay when compared to Stadia. It's not bad at all and more than playable but pushing buttons you can see just a very slight delay when compared to Stadia (I compared Metro Exodus on both using a Bluetooth controller). I was using WiFi though with a Bluetooth controller so not the most ideal situation. I'm sure the actual Luna controller will provide better responsiveness.

The feature list though is very anemic, there's really not much there other than playing games. There's no friend's list, no chat, no achievements, no way to take screenshots, clips, etc. Granted Stadia didn't get many of these same features until later so I'm sure many of the same will eventually come to Luna.

Same thing with supported devices. I do not own any iOS or Fire TV devices so the only way for me to use Luna is either through my laptop or PC. I have a few Fire HD tablets and was honestly expecting it to support at least those but it doesn't. I tried using "Desktop mode" on Chrome and sideloading the Fire TV app but it still doesn't work. Again, this will come later along with full Android support.

The library of games is a good start and they have been adding (they just added a few games yesterday) so as long as it continues to grow then there's a lot of promise there. This however lies my biggest problem with Luna. I know many people clamor for Stadia to go the Netflix route but (while I love having options) this route would not work for me. It's great if you love to try out several games or play through several games rather quickly but for me personally I only play a handful of games at a time and sometimes it'll take me weeks (if not months) to get through them. Having a large library where games rotate in/out just isn't my ideal way to play. Also there's the problem of big releases, something like Cyberpunk for example, I don't think you're going to see that on any game subscription service anytime soon (unless CDPR does some sort of subscription service themselves like Ubisoft...but even then that's an additional subscription on top of what you're already paying).

So to summarize my initial impressions...

1. The tech is great and very comparable to Stadia.
2. The service is very early and there's lots of work to do regarding adding to the feature set, supported devices, etc.
3. The initial library of games is a good start.
4. If the Netflix style works for you then Luna appears to be a very promising service with the colossal weight of Amazon behind it.

Right now the subscription cost during beta is $5.99 per month and if you want Uplay+ it's an additional $14.99. I do plan to keep it for now but may drop it after beta depending on how the price changes.

Last edited:

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out that I can't access the Google Play credit I just bought to buy a game, because the only way you can redeem that is through an android device. Total bullshit, but I have a Nexus 7 so I figured I can use that....and it's stuck in a boot loop. So I think I have $70 of unusable credit. Insane.

Apr 21, 2018
Glad to hear you had a positive experience! Pretty amazing right? I really need to jump into the game more, I played it for a bit when it first came out but fell off. I'm sure since it's F2P now it'll be more active so you're playing against more actual players rather than bots.

In other news I actually got invited to try Luna out yesterday. I went ahead and accepted and decided to get the Luna controller as well (that won't arrive until Saturday).

First impressions of the service is that it's overall very good but is obviously still very early as far as what it offers.

The streaming clarity itself is great and honestly (at 1080p) I can't tell a difference between Stadia and Luna.

Responsiveness though (using a Bluetooth controller currently) there's just a tiny bit of a delay when compared to Stadia. It's not bad at all and more than playable but pushing buttons you can see just a very slight delay when compared to Stadia (I compared Metro Exodus on both using a Bluetooth controller). I was using WiFi though with a Bluetooth controller so not the most ideal situation. I'm sure the actual Luna controller will provide better responsiveness.

The feature list though is very anemic, there's really not much there other than playing games. There's no friend's list, no chat, no achievements, no way to take screenshots, clips, etc. Granted Stadia didn't get many of these same features until later so I'm sure many of the same will eventually come to Luna.

Same thing with supported devices. I do not own any iOS or Fire TV devices so the only way for me to use Luna is either through my laptop or PC. I have a few Fire HD tablets and was honestly expecting it to support at least those but it doesn't. I tried using "Desktop mode" on Chrome and sideloading the Fire TV app but it still doesn't work. Again, this will come later along with full Android support.

The library of games is a good start and they have been adding (they just added a few games yesterday) so as long as it continues to grow then there's a lot of promise there. This however lies my biggest problem with Luna. I know many people clamor for Stadia to go the Netflix route but (while I love having options) this route would not work for me. It's great if you love to try out several games or play through several games rather quickly but for me personally I only play a handful of games at a time and sometimes it'll take me weeks (if not months) to get through them. Having a large library where games rotate in/out just isn't my ideal way to play. Also there's the problem of big releases, something like Cyberpunk for example, I don't think you're going to see that on any game subscription service anytime soon (unless CDPR does some sort of subscription service themselves like Ubisoft...but even then that's an additional subscription on top of what you're already paying).

So to summarize my initial impressions...

1. The tech is great and very comparable to Stadia.
2. The service is very early and there's lots of work to do regarding adding to the feature set, supported devices, etc.
3. The initial library of games is a good start.
4. If the Netflix style works for you then Luna appears to be a very promising service with the colossal weight of Amazon behind it.

Right now the subscription cost during beta is $5.99 per month and if you want Uplay+ it's an additional $14.99. I do plan to keep it for now but may drop it after beta depending on how the price changes.
What people don't realize is that cloud gaming is even faster than the plug ang play of cartridge consoles like the SNES.

Bullshit ?

Ok, i was in the game in less than 2 minutes. (Bomber Man R on Stadia)

It is faster on SNES. Fine...but you forgot something before to plug. You must buy the game first in a video game shop. (Closed on Sunday ?;) Same for modern consoles like the Switch, if you choose the digital way then you must download the game.
With cloud gaming, there is no download, no install... And of course no walking :)

Just click and play.

A.M.

Community Resettler
I just found out that I can't access the Google Play credit I just bought to buy a game, because the only way you can redeem that is through an android device. Total bullshit, but I have a Nexus 7 so I figured I can use that....and it's stuck in a boot loop. So I think I have $70 of unusable credit. Insane.
Bluestacks might be the solution. I hope it works for you. :(

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

You just purchased that credit? Can you ask for a refund or a transfer to Google Pay, if you explain your issue to them?

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Any expectations for today's announcements?

I think I'm having no luck today, because I tried multiple bluestacks programs but they don't work. Yeah, will attempt to explain my issue to support and see what they say.
Sorry, dude, that really sucks. I had no idea you could only use Play credit to buy Stadia games on an Android device. I was going to offer to buy the credit from you (lord knows I'll use it eventually) until I realized that it had already been redeemed to your account and likely can't be transfered.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I think I'm having no luck today, because I tried multiple bluestacks programs but they don't work. Yeah, will attempt to explain my issue to support and see what they say.
Hmmmmmm, do you know anyone who has an Android device? You could have them download Stadia on their device and then log into your account on their device.
Any expectations for today's announcements?
None. Seems more like a community event so I'm not really expecting much as far as "new" announcements. At most maybe an Outcasters stealth drop or release date.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Outcasters available now! (Free for pro)

stadia.google.com

Stadia service is no longer available. Thanks for playing.

Stadia service is no longer available. Thanks for playing.
Also submerged is another pro title added.

livestream here, currently playing outcasters with crowdplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9g-Ch2PO4&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: also NBA 2k21 on sale for around 10 bucks https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/k61d9j/what_only_1099_is_this_a_joke_this_is_2k21/

Last edited:

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Journey to the Savage Planet coming soon to Stadia with exclusive content

9to5google.com

Journey to the Savage Planet is coming soon to Stadia w/ exclusive content

The wacky space adventure game Journey to the Savage Planet is coming soon to Google Stadia, with some exclusive content.

EDIT: Personal bet - January pro title
This is a great game everyone should play it. Also, it kinda feels that stadia are following Xbox in releasing their first-party games into their subscription service.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
NBA 2k21 is also available for $10.79. I don't remember seeing that in this week's blog post.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Gave this a test run last night (my free Pro set from YouTube Music) and I'm very impressed by the whole thing. Played some Everspace and would never have known I was streaming it. Excited to see where this all goes. Not sure I'll keep the Pro membership (played a lot of the games offered already), but I'll probably buy Doom with the $10 credit and save it for a rainy day.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, so Submerged: Hidden Depths is a completely different game to the Submerged that I played on PC a few years ago. Its either a sequel or prequel (I havent figured out that part yet), albeit in a similar-ish type of location and similar gameplay (no combat, you cannot die, its jut about exploration).
It looks a lot prettier though.

Cool, I was fine with the handful of hours I played Submerged for on PC when I bought it dirt-cheap on a Steam sale. Getting another one of those in with my Pro sub is a lovely surprise. It's not gonna be everyone's cuppa tea, but if anyone asks "Whats a relaxing game I can just sit back and chill with", well, now you have your answer.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm having a really good time with Outcasters.

Tracking someone with the curved shots and eliminating them feels really good. There's also enough pure chaos that I catch myself smiling all the time.