• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I know things are bad for Stadia right now, but self immolation seems a little extreme.

Oct 29, 2017
This is an issue with the devices themselves under heavy usage, not a lot to do with Stadia. :p

True, but it doesn't matter. Most people don't know how streaming works and don't care to know.

It's related to Stadia, therefore it's a Stadia issue; regardless of the technicalities involved. If they don't get this nipped in the bud shortly, if anything it'll be worse when the rollout to other devices happens ("I don't want Stadia setting my phone/laptop on fire!!!").

This is yet another nail in the coffin for this failure of a launch. I will be very surprised if the service lasts longer than 2 years (possibly not even 1).

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's working just as intended, maybe you should take a 10min break after every 10min of game playing. Right Google?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I think I've actually had my Chromecast Ultra crash on me twice, and that's probably why. It was just from regular 4K HDR video streaming though.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone think of a worse launch in video game history?
With so many things going wrong at the same time?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Google doesn't seem to understand that in gaming it doesn't matter how many tests you run, end users are always going to run into issues that you didn't account for.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Google PR team is such a trainwreck.

User: "The shit burnt up and shut down!"

Google: "No, it's warm to touch as designed. "

Have they ever actually read user's complaints before making statements?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am guessing the Chrome cast devices are just passively cooled? All that 4k pushing must stress out a small device like that. You would think it would have been stress tested for hours before launch but here we are. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed.

Oct 28, 2017
Reports of overheating right now during early winter? The experience should be even worse during during Summer.

I remember keeping an ice tray from the fridge on our first CD/USB player, so that the system doesn't freeze or restart while playing video files from an USB pen drive.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this is just a software issue, but with some people reporting being fine it's a little worrying that it's a hardware issue and not everyone is effected.

Oct 25, 2017
Chromecast Ultra dates back to 2016, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of teardowns or analysis of the hardware. Would Google have updated the hardware at all in the meantime? It would seem like they missed an opportunity to reduce the power draw and heat issues by moving over to a newer version of their SOC.

I think this is an interesting example of the downsides of shipping a product that is aimed at streaming one kind of content and expecting it to hold up for streaming a different kind of content for a different audience.

Early adopters of gaming hardware would seem to be more likely to raise issues when a product doesn't hold up to expectations. Are Google just figuring this out?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Chromecast Ultra dates back to 2016, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of teardowns or analysis of the hardware. Would Google have updated the hardware at all in the meantime? It would seem like they missed an opportunity to reduce the power draw and heat issues by moving over to a newer version of their SOC.

I think this is an interesting example of the downsides of shipping a product that is aimed at streaming one kind of content and expecting it to hold up for streaming a different kind of content for a different audience.

Early adopters of gaming hardware would seem to be more likely to raise issues when a product doesn't hold up to expectations. Are Google just figuring this out?
I think they said the Ultra has some tech in for Stadia support but I don't know if that means actual tech or just the softwate/firmware is for Stadia.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait isn't that Amazon that is supposed to sell Firestick?

it's a joke for those that would doubt.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, but still, teeeeechnically it is a hardware issue with the Chromecast Ultra. :D

When you buy it, its in the Stadia box. You can't play Stadia without it. Therefore, its a Stadia problem.
stadia-founders-edition-unboxing-4.jpg

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
As a person ideologically opposed to online dependencies and thus streaming, but also opposed to throwing insults at what could have been a very solid product for those who wanted it, I have avoided most Stadia discussion for a while. This included some initial screwups involving "beta testing in the future".

However, the flagship hardware for the thing that was supposed to be about eliminating hardware problems managing to not keep up with the chore of decoding video is so ludicrously poetic that I feel fully in rights to note that it made me smile widely.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It's not just Stadia. I've had a Chromecast Ultra for a while and they do get pretty hot. Was thinking of sticking a little heatsink on mine, I don't even have Stadia.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they said the Ultra has some tech in for Stadia support but I don't know if that means actual tech or just the softwate/firmware is for Stadia.

I don't know for certain one way or the other about that. It looks like it is possible to flash the stadia compatible firmware onto an existing Chromecast Ultra. I would assume it is the same hardware as the 2016 model.

That seems like a really big shortcoming as they've still encouraged early adopters to buy new hardware, but they haven't taken that as an opportunity to get something a bit better equipped for constant 4k60 video.

Hardware manufacturers are often criticised when they lock away functionality that could be supported in earlier versions of their products. It is interesting to see the opposite happen in such a high profile way.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I had it running AC:Odyssey for a good five hours the other day and it was fine, but maybe a little warm. I can maybe see it getting too hot if your house is very well heated, but this seems more like a bug to me - albeit a bad one.
This is based off of some posters on Reddit. One being quoted was the shutting down after 10 minutes like that is not a hardware issue.

I've had mine running for hours on end over the weekend with no issue.
This place just needs to have anything to shit on Stadia, it's quite bizarre.