• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Stadia is not comparable to a 200 Xbox. It's comparable to a 500 PS5. It also allows for immediate access to games with no downloads, no installs, no updates, and no system firmware updates. You can invite friends into a multiplayer party with a URL. You can play next-gen games on any low power laptop or tablet that runs Chrome. The hardware in Google's data centers can be "stacked" for performance beyond a console, and will be continuously upgraded over time.
Yeah... but you'll need a very good internet connection with no data caps. Stadia will be a very niche product imo.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ok here's an example, the Wii Shop is gone, all of the games on the Wii shop are gone and cannot be purchased or downloaded by anybody. Except I did download the games I bought off that service and I can still play them perfectly fine even with my Wii disconnected from the internet. I don't know of any service currently that functions any different. I'm pretty confident that as long as they're installed on my system I will forever have access to any PSN or XB game I own.

What I do know for 100% certainty is once Stadia's servers are gone all of your Stadia games are gone too, forever. No way around that. With digital theres a chance I could eventually lose my library. With Stadia there's a certainty.

Yeah, I agree. This is the aspect of trust I've referred to. However, unlike a Nintendo console where it's assumed new hardware will eventually replace old and old distribution servers go offline, Stadia will more likely be one service for as long as Google exists. There's more reason to expect that purchases made on Stadia will be available indefinitely than any download you make on a Nintendo console.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you're casually playing games it is cheaper. The discount is in the fact that you're not paying $300+ for hardware.

It helps, but I don't think it goes far enough. Google really had an opportunity here to experiment with different price models

Tier 1: Buy games normally
Tier 2: Rent games for a cheaper cost to play for a limited time
Tier 3: Gamepass style sub with multiple games per month

I think if Stadia were set up like that it would be a much more compelling service

Oct 25, 2017

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I agree. This is the aspect of trust I've referred to. However, unlike a Nintendo console where it's assumed new hardware will eventually replace old and old distribution servers go offline, Stadia will more likely be one service for as long as Google exists. There's more reason to expect that purchases made on Stadia will be available indefinitely than any download you make on a Nintendo console.
You do know that the only reason they shut down DS and Wii online is because the company they partnered with basically shut down?
There's no real reason to assume that they would shutdown any other service they have otherwise.
I mean they're not Sony.
I said "most people", not "most US people". Also that's mobile, and I find it hard to believe home connections doubled their average from 2018 to 2019 to be equal to mobile
Also mobile has even lower caps than wifi/landline.
on a 2Gb cap you can barely do video for more than a few days, gaming will kill that shit in the blink of an eye.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Talking with my non-hardcore-gamer friends I think the consensus is that this service would be amazing if there was an ability to rent the game or to have great demos.
With the ability to jump immediately into a game what you want is a low entry price so you can test it out and then you can decide if you want to buy it.

Like Amazon movies and all that.

Im REALLY confused who is the target population of this. You are willing to buy full price games but not to buy a console? I don't know those creatures.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I said "most people", not "most US people". Also that's mobile, and I find it hard to believe home connections doubled their average from 2018 to 2019 to be equal to mobile

I like my source better. But I still find it really weird to argue against the internet. What are we even arguing about? That Stadia is not addressable to 100% of humans? I concede the point.

I don't think Stadia has to be accessible to 100% of humans, or even 100% of existing gaming households to establish itself as a 5th platform in gaming.

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
So if I buy a game through Stadia Base vs. Stadia Pro is it the same $60? Seems a bit odd since the Base service is a lower quality, and I'm imagining the same $60 could be used to buy (and permanently own) a 4K game on a PS5.

If I upgrade (or downgrade) my service, will the game I bought work with either?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

That is the hope at least, but it requires an aspect of trust that I just don't have at the launch of a new service. While Google is never going anywhere, If Stadia doesn't meet their expectations they have no obligation to keep it running. So the service is going to have to mature before I begin to trust it imo

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I like my source better. But I still find it really weird to argue against the internet. What are we even arguing about? That Stadia is not addressable to 100% of humans? I concede the point.

I don't think Stadia has to be accessible to 100% of humans, or even 100% of existing gaming households to establish itself as a 5th platform in gaming.
Your data is about mobile, the market where ISPs are providing 2Gb of data per month and then surcharging you through the nose or making you with for 56k otherwise.
If you think this is representative to a good environment for game streaming....

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
If you're gearing up to buy a next-gen platform where games are likely to exceed 100GB, I think you've already got satisfactory internet.
Maybe, maybe not? Still, it's different. I'll still be able to buy physical games and only download updates and even if I have to download the game itself, it's over after the download is done. Stadia will use your internet all the time and it'll use more data in the long run. And if your internet is slow, you won't be able to play the games at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
christ, Stadia's value proposition just keeps getting worse. If Microsoft just adds xCloud library access to Game Pass Ultimate, which is what I currently expect, it'd be a vastly better value even at 50% more a month.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking with my non-hardcore-gamer friends I think the consensus is that this service would be amazing if there was an ability to rent the game or to have great demos.
With the ability to jump immediately into a game what you want is a low entry price so you can test it out and then you can decide if you want to buy it.

Like Amazon movies and all that.

Im REALLY confused who is the target population of this. You are willing to buy full price games but not to buy a console? I don't know those creatures.

This also has me scratching my head.

I already pay full price to buy games from Steam, Uplay, EA Origin, it's more attractive to have a game subscription service similar to the EA subscription service and the upcoming Uplay+ for a game streaming service to me than needing to buy a game full price from Google.

If Google allows Stadia users to connect their pre-existing game libraries to Stadia and that will allow Stadia access to all the games you already own at no additional cost, that would be great.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is not.
as far as we know, a ps5 (or next xbox) do not require a permanent internet connexion, it does not require a 35mbps internet,it does not require a subscription, it does not require a sub 15ms ping to google servers, it does not require you to live in a place without data caps, it does not require to forfeit any ownership on games you paid 60$ for, it does not require to forget about reselling your games, it does not require to forget about your games in 2 years because google may drop the project. and both ps and xbox have a streaming solution if so you want.
It has not even the beginning of a tenth of the value.

It would help to read the AMA rather than spread false information.

If the Stadia service is discontinued, do we know what (if anything) will happen with game purchases? (Alternately, are they any minimum EoL guarantees, etc. You get the gist of it.)

We get this a lot. I hear you. Moving to the cloud is scary. I felt the same way when music was transitioning from files to streaming. I still have all my old CDs in the garage… although it's hard to find a CD player these days :)

The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files… And it's great! Games are no different. Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too and we'll feel great about it. We've been investing a ton in tech, infrastructure and partnerships over the past few years. Nothing in life is certain, but we're committed to making Stadia a success.

The games you buy on Stadia are yours to play. From day one we'll support Takeout, so that you can download your game metadata, including saves if you want to.

Of course, it's ok to doubt my words. Theres nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don't. But what we can do is to launch the service and continue investing in it for years to come. Exactly how we've been doing with gMail, Docs, Music, Movies and Photos. That's exactly what we're committed to.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That is the hope at least, but it requires an aspect of trust that I just don't have at the launch of a new service. While Google is never going anywhere, If Stadia doesn't meet their expectations they have no obligation to keep it running. So the service is going to have to mature before I begin to trust it imo

I think that's a lot more reasonable than most posts.

Oct 25, 2017

You basically said that internet costs should not be considered when discussing Stadia costs. Which would be true if Stadia required the average internet connection that most people pay for. Except that is not the case, it requires better.

If I had to pay extra - either for datacaps or speed - on my internet plan to use Steam, or Switch, or Ouya, it absolutely is a cost that I will consider when choosing which platform to go for.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
it's ironic to ask people to read shit when your own reading comprehension skills fail you.
"so that you can download your game metadata, including saves if you want to "
This is not about the game ownership, it's PR talk to dodge the question because the answer is embarrassing, metadata and saves are not the game, you will be fucked and lose your game, but you can export the saves if so you want. as if anybody gives a shit about that.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Business model for Game Pass or Netflix like gaming service is still in the early stage and unproven. Google has no exclusive content now and is at the mercy of the 3rd party. Taking a cut from MSRP is still the best business model at this point for Google.

I hope Game Pass is successful enough financially to show other platform holders and 3rd party publishers that it's a viable business model.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Lol little did they know every single Xbox/PlayStation user HATES psplus and gold. Only reason why we have them is because we're forced to have them. The free games a month was like "Hey we know we're practically raping your wallet but here's a few games so don't hate us (entirely) please." I can't think of a single person that's like "OH YEAAAAH my gold ran out and I can't plau halo MCC online, time to go buy some more, fuck yeah this is so exciting." Lol who at google thought that's what we think of gold and psplus, the ONLY saving grace they have is "free" games imo, and if stadia gives "free" games away at the level of destiny 2 frequently then it might have a chance. But if this isn't DOA it'll most definitely be populated by people building there libraries at stadia base then MAYBE upgrading to stadia plus and all that jazz. I honestly think this won't be DOA for the simple fact that they have the biggest advertising site on the internet ala YouTube, but if they treat it like google plus then yeah it'll definitely fizzle our quickly. Sorry for not being a super negative Nancy like the rest of you guys but I like to look at things a little objectively.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You basically said that internet costs should not be considered when discussing Stadia costs. Which would be true if Stadia required the average internet connection that most people pay for. Except that is not the case, it requires better.

If I had to pay extra - either for datacaps or speed - on my internet plan to use Steam, or Switch, or Ouya, it absolutely is a cost that I will consider when choosing which platform to go for.

I think if you're currently rolling with < 30Mb/s internet at home, you probably shouldn't get into game streaming regardless. And probably your conventional online gaming experience is pretty bad. I've had a 300Mb/s connection for a few years now, with no Stadia. When I get Stadia, it won't be a factor in my cost consideration. I'm not saying i'm representative, and i'm also not saying some pathetic 1.5Mb/s DSL line is representative either. It's really pointless to say what "most people" have, it's Google's job to figure out if there's a market for their shit.

People are really stretching to find ways that this isn't a good deal imo.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Zero issues with this approach. Buy games, play them.

But I have doubts about infrastructure and lag in my region, but I'm far away from initial launch countries and did not try out Stadia yet.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
as far as we know, a ps5 (or next xbox) do not require a permanent internet connexion, it does not require a 35mbps internet,it does not require a subscription, it does not require a sub 15ms ping to google servers, it does not require you to live in a place without data caps, it does not require to forfeit any ownership on games you paid 60$ for, it does not require to forget about reselling your games, it does not require to forget about your games in 2 years because google may drop the project. and both ps and xbox have a streaming solution if so you want.
"The games you buy on Stadia are yours to play. From day one we'll support Takeout, so that you can download your game metadata, including saves if you want to."

Maybe I'm the one misunderstanding, but the highlighted section about being able to download your save data isn't a response to the issue of losing any ability to play the games you've bought if the service becomes unavailable.

Which misinformation you were trying to clarify from the AMA quote?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So looking at this the service (Stadia in general) is for someone who doesn't want to buy top end hardware but has a decent internet connection and is ok buying a license to play games contingent on them having internet.

Stadia pro is for the above plus access to whatever games they're able to make free month-to-month.

I guess if they have decent sales and you're ok with the limitations Stadia base is probably an ok solution. I'm having a hard time coming up with an argument for Stadia Pro though. 4k streaming isn't enough for the monthly cost for me.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine a world with a video streaming service that presents two options: a sub-free 1080p service, and a £10 per month 4K service. In both scenarios you cannot view any movies unless you buy them for the same cost as a brand-new UHD disc.

Everyone would say that was mad.

Stadia, no different. Not seeing any value proposition.

Now if new games were £20 instead, then that becomes an interesting proposition.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't find it enticing at all to be paying a monthly subscription for access to buy games for full price, to then get a "free" game every month that will most likely be games I've already played on PlayStation.
So it is like Plus and Gold then and you do get discounts on Stadia just like those if you subscribe.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
You do know that the only reason they shut down DS and Wii online is because the company they partnered with basically shut down?
There's no real reason to assume that they would shutdown any other service they have otherwise.
I mean they're not Sony.

Also mobile has even lower caps than wifi/landline.
on a 2Gb cap you can barely do video for more than a few days, gaming will kill that shit in the blink of an eye.
I keep hearing about data caps but I've never seen anyone in my city have to deal with that. Neither when I went on sprint or T-Mobile, I'd legit download Netflix movies in 4K multiple times a day on the go and never seen anything about data caps. Here's the thing, online gaming is the most popular genre in gaming, no ifs ands or buts, it is what it is. If your internet isn't capable of playing 2k online than your probably exempt from using online gaming in general, so I don't think google or ms or Sony are counting on those gamers. There counting on the millions playing destiny online daily, the siege players, the cod players, the everything that's popular players, to buy it or he service. And everyone else that has modern day internet, we buy more, spend more share more etc. Why on God's geeen earth do you think people in mountains are going to make or break a streaming service?? Plus U.S has shitty internet but we buy the most online service games lol so that's not a good comparison, even people with shitty internet like to play online. And seriously if you have data caps on mobile that's just sad, I'd change carriers. I live in Massachusetts and we're not renowned for a our service trust and believe, my home is a dead zone but we all get fiber and cable lines so I don't see how the "nOT eveRyONe HAs STabLe iNteRNeT SPeEds" argument because I doubt any of best companies are banking on selling to them. I think these Fortune 500 companies are tad bit smarter than that. Now I'm not saying stadia will succeed to so don't crucify me, but availability will not be its downfall. It'll be it's price and games.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I straight up don't understand how people are still surprised by this. No publisher on Earth would agree to offer up their $60 game for a share of a $15/month sub.

I guess Stadia's marketing team has dropped the ball because I still see folks learning about this for the first time. The value proposition is that you no longer have to buy a console/PC to play games. Just like Netflix/Hulu/Spotify/etc, the assumption is that you have half-decent internet, don't care about a dedicated blu-ray/cd/record player, and can just sit down and boot up a game anytime.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So looking at this the service (Stadia in general) is for someone who doesn't want to buy top end hardware but has a decent internet connection and is ok buying a license to play games contingent on them having internet.

Stadia pro is for the above plus access to whatever games they're able to make free month-to-month.

I guess if they have decent sales and you're ok with the limitations Stadia base is probably an ok solution. I'm having a hard time coming up with an argument for Stadia Pro though. 4k streaming isn't enough for the monthly cost for me.

imo the best way to compare Stadia to existing competition is as next-gen "console" with no upfront hardware costs, and a lot of new conveniences. Performance-wise, it's going to come in in the upper-end of PC hardware, but not the absolutely highest-end.

Probably there will be some visual fidelity hit associated with compressed video streams, but we don't now how much. And that (+some amount of latency) will have to be weighed against the convenience of playing any game in your library within seconds on virtually any device anywhere you go.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
and that is why google will change the economic model drastically after 18 months (bookmark this), if not drop the whole thing as they are used to do.
The people that may get the "pro" subscription are non existent, those people with a 4k tv, high internet quality and the willingness to pay 60$ for a new release digital, well they have a pc or console already, and disposable income. and they won't get the pro subscription and buy a not cross save compatible stadia version because it makes no fucking sense, except for a small part of them that do not give a shit about money and is OK to throw away $/€ so they can play while in a uber.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
So if I buy a game through Stadia Base vs. Stadia Pro is it the same $60? Seems a bit odd since the Base service is a lower quality, and I'm imagining the same $60 could be used to buy (and permanently own) a 4K game on a PS5.

If I upgrade (or downgrade) my service, will the game I bought work with either?
It seems as thought the $60 gives you the right to play the game at whatever quality you can access at any given time up to 1080p (on base subscription) or 4k (on paid subscription). If you choose to downgrade you choose to play that game at 1080p.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This was mentioned on a podcast I listened to recently, but I think the approach they're kind of going for is to be the vessel for other subscriptions services. So someone subscribes to UPlay+, they get access to all those games and can play them through Stadia without even needing to buy hardware. Now imagine that with the inevitable other subs on the way. Just adding EA covers basically the majority of what the "casual hardcore" gamer is interested in short of Call of Duty and they can plug those gaps with games you just straight up buy (just like you'd do with Xbox and Game Pass). I do think they'll one day come out with a Game Pass style service (on top of the Pro sub) but not until they have a large enough library. Until then, they can lean on third party sub services.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find it enticing at all to be paying a monthly subscription for access to buy games for full price, to then get a "free" game every month that will most likely be games I've already played on PlayStation.

then.... don't pay a monthly subscription and use the free service? I mean, i'm just tossing out wild ideas here

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I keep hearing about data caps but I've never seen anyone in my city have to deal with that. Neither when I went on sprint or T-Mobile, I'd legit download Netflix movies in 4K multiple times a day on the go and never seen anything about data caps. Here's the thing, online gaming is the most popular genre in gaming, no ifs ands or buts, it is what it is. If your internet isn't capable of playing 2k online than your probably exempt from using online gaming in general, so I don't think google or ms or Sony are counting on those gamers. There counting on the millions playing destiny online daily, the siege players, the cod players, the everything that's popular players, to buy it or he service. And everyone else that has modern day internet, we buy more, spend more share more etc. Why on God's geeen earth do you think people in mountains are going to make or break a streaming service?? Plus U.S has shitty internet but we buy the most online service games lol so that's not a good comparison, even people with shitty internet like to play online. And seriously if you have data caps on mobile that's just sad, I'd change carriers. I live in Massachusetts and we're not renowned for a our service trust and believe, my home is a dead zone but we all get fiber and cable lines so I don't see how the "nOT eveRyONe HAs STabLe iNteRNeT SPeEds" argument because I doubt any of best companies are banking on selling to them. I think these Fortune 500 companies are tad bit smarter than that. Now I'm not saying stadia will succeed to so don't crucify me, but availability will not be its downfall. It'll be it's price and games.
I've got data caps on my mobile & on my home internet. Jealous of you. Not much choice of carrier either so I'm stuck with what I got.

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats this nonsense about DOA. Stadia is a future console competitor without a lifespan and they will probably use it to gather data about people. It's an app that will be baked in every Google Smart TV the coming decades.

Youtube still isnt even profitible in 2019 for gods sake.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

All that says is you get to keep your game save data. It does not mean you get to keep the game. What good is the save data without the game? Seriously, that is not a gaurentee if they give up on Stadia that you'll still have access to your games. You will still have to buy them over again and honestly, would the metadata even be useful if you buy it on another console/PC that isn't theirs? I'm guessing the ideal answer is that their stuff is running on PC hardware which means you'll have to have or buy a PC to use that data as well as the game over again. Otherwise you'll have to find out what they were running their games on and hope it's something you can obtain now that they no longer run the servers.

So.. how is that not relying on them not taking the game away? That answer he gave really wasn't an assurance other than, "Trust us, we're not going to make it go away. And here's some stuff that really won't be helpful if we do". So it's back to you have to trust Google to keep your games with them.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia is not comparable to a 200 Xbox. It's comparable to a 500 PS5. It also allows for immediate access to games with no downloads, no installs, no updates, and no system firmware updates. You can invite friends into a multiplayer party with a URL. You can play next-gen games on any low power laptop or tablet that runs Chrome. The hardware in Google's data centers can be "stacked" for performance beyond a console, and will be continuously upgraded over time.

The actual experience remains to be seen, and will vary from person to person. People are talking about Stadia like it's going to be a flawless 4K/60fps.

I doubt it.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Whats this nonsense about DOA. Stadia is a future console competitor without a lifespan and they will probably use it to gather data about people. It's an app that will be baked in every Google Smart TV the coming decades.

Youtube still isnt even profitible in 2019 for gods sake.
Seriously? I'd think it being like the biggest advertising website would pay for itself.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Damnit Google you copy and improve on Gamepass or PlayStation Now, Not the MP pay wall.

To me this says that They want to generate money from the paid online without having to go through the hassle of building a console, fan base, or development house
Shortcut to the gravy train