• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if any of the games showcased are exclusives? I thought that one horror game was an exclusive but then heard it will come to other platforms.

I think we need to understand it as "streaming up to 4k/60fps" rather than a guaranteed 4k/60fps. There are so many variables at play here that someone very well could be paying for the pro sub but only manage to stream at 1080p.
They aren't going to get many pro subs then, most will use the free service

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Xbox gamepads service is the closest thing we've seen to the Netflix for games. If Google can't promise that, then I don't see Stadia doing as well as they'd hope.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Xbox GamePass seems a lot better than this. Wouldn't that be something you would be striving to compare to rather than a paid online membership like Xbox Live Gold or PS+? Those just give you games every month because hey, we want you to pay to play games online.

Destiny is a game that costs next to nothing to purchase on a disc, and, it's going to a free to play model by the time this service releases. So yay, I guess?

We're not showing the UI til launch, you get one free game a month (and it's going free to play!), you get access across "screens" (does that mean we're getting "multiplayer" with one sub or not?), and we don't have all the features we announced at the reveal.

I'm not entirely sure why they are launching when they are. "Because they have to start somewhere" I guess.

It's not like they have a big first party game releasing. Obviously they want to be there in the busy season with the big third party releases coming, but yeah. Probably better to make a good impression at launch rather than because that's the agreement you made with third party partners.

Google is giving you games every month because hey, we want you to pay for 4k. Destiny in the Stadia Pro pack includes all the existing and upcoming DLC, which is not "next to nothing". If you just want to think of it like you're getting Shadowkeep for free, that's $35.

As for Gamepass, it's obvious that gaming subscriptions are going to be a big part of streaming in general (including Xcloud). We already know Ubisoft will be streaming their games on Stadia. I don't think it's much of a jump to believe EA Access will also come to Stadia soon. Google doesn't have any first party content to build a subscription around yet. Probably there's going to be many different subscription packages in the years to come.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not happily paying for PSN and consider dropping it every year. That also isn't the crux of most arguments against Stadia here.

The larger concerns center on digital rights, data caps & latency, vague promises, & a lack of trust in Google supporting the platform for the long term.
I'll give you data caps and latency as serious issues, but digital rights? You don't think twice when you buy a digital game from PSN or Steam but you think Stadia is going to cut you off from the content you've purchased? Google has been handling digital rights for billions of people on Google Play, pretty sure they can handle digital rights for streaming games.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I'll give you data caps and latency as serious issues, but digital rights? You don't think twice when you buy a digital game from PSN or Steam but you think Stadia is going to cut you off from the content you've purchased? Google has been handling digital rights for billions of people on Google Play, pretty sure they can handle digital rights for streaming games.

I didn't say it is my concern (although it is a concern I have regarding all digital content). Just that it is one of the larger concerns I've seen pop up in this thread & elsewhere.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's the model for games on Pro, yes.

It would be nice if they didn't have that BS concept of "claiming" a game. It's a useless gotcha when you're already paying for it. It should just be automatically added to your library.
I feel like that's how they keep costs down (or profits up). If you don't "claim" it then Sony/MS/Google don't have to pay the developer for that license of the game. Not user friendly but makes business sense.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I feel like that's how they keep costs down (or profits up). If you don't "claim" it then Sony/MS/Google don't have to pay the developer for that license of the game. Not user friendly but makes business sense.

True, but they're the ones making the deal. They could just as easily base licensing on whether you ever actually accessed the game. The "claiming" thing has always felt like a bullshitty user experience to me.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
kind of like mail in rebate. they amake the process complicated so people just ignore it

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I remember thinking that Xbox Live Gold was dead on arrival. You're selling me the right to use my own, paid for internet to peer-to-peer connect with other players, something I've been accustomed to doing for free?

"Gamers" proved me wrong then, and I suspect they'll prove a lot of people wrong with Stadia. Its a different market than what I associate with gaming, but then so was mobile gaming until it matured.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking that Xbox Live Gold was dead on arrival. You're selling me the right to use my own, paid for internet to peer-to-peer connect with other players, something I've been accustomed to doing for free?

"Gamers" proved me wrong then, and I suspect they'll prove a lot of people wrong with Stadia. Its a different market than what I associate with gaming, but then so was mobile gaming until it matured.
If you don't use the sub stadia is the cheapest console you can buy, and if you do use the sub it's still pretty cheap overall since online play is free

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If this also provided a Shadow type streaming service where you can utilize your existing library of PC games to leverage their cloud systems this would have a lot more value. I'd use that for cranking PCVR games to maximum res/supersampling which my current rig can't do. As it is for the current Stadia model I just can't see anyone wanting this over the other subscription services actually offering libraries full of games. xCloud+Gamepass+Scarlett+PS5 is gonna devour this thing.

Dec 5, 2017
I am so damn frustrated by the discussion around stadia. If they rolled this out as a beta, no one would have a problem. It gives every single person in America (with internet) which will be 5g covered in the next couple of years a 60 dollar entrance into gaming. Literally, the guy who just wants Madden no longer has to buy a 400 dollar console. It's not for us, but it's reach is astronomical. Not to mention "influencers" who travel will go ape shit for this service, boosting it's popularity similar to how gaming media boosted switches popularity.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think Stadia has a great value proposition, I just don't get why they start with the Pro version and only introduce Base at a later date.

At least I get that they want to milk the first adopters, but it just feels like it will achieve the opposite. The first adopters in gaming already have all the consoles. Stadia Base is where the new value is; once you get people onto the system they may want to pay extra for a better experience.

I doubt many people get the most expensive Netflix tier right away (unless they want to share accounts). They take a cheap tier and then go Okay yeah this is dope, I'll pay some extra for better quality.

By going with Pro first and Base only (half?) a year later, I feel like they're going to tarnish the well. The first adopters go "yeah not interested bye", and by the time Base comes around this will feel like a failed experiment.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I think Stadia has a great value proposition, I just don't get why they start with the Pro version and only introduce Base at a later date.

At least I get that they want to milk the first adopters, but it just feels like it will achieve the opposite. The first adopters in gaming already have all the consoles. Stadia Base is where the new value is; once you get people onto the system they may want to pay extra for a better experience.

I doubt many people get the most expensive Netflix tier right away (unless they want to share accounts). They take a cheap tier and then go Okay yeah this is dope, I'll pay some extra for better quality.

By going with Pro first and Base only (half?) a year later, I feel like they're going to tarnish the well. The first adopters go "yeah not interested bye", and by the time Base comes around this will feel like a failed experiment.
Except the base version is free so people will definitely give it a shot. Instead of buying the next Assassin's Creed on my aging PS4, why not try buying it for Stadia? It's going to be the same price, after all.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

It's not about milking anyone, it is about controlling the amount of initial users who can connect to do adjustments. Imagine a beta where potentially 100 million people could try to connect, it would be a disaster

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Look at it as a console not Netflix, stadia isn't selling movies
Just hard for me to envision being successful when people own none of the important parts AND are being asked to pay full price for something that -- were the service to terminate in a year -- they'd be stuck trying to find out if their save data will work for them if they buy the Steam release.

Risk isn't something gamers are known for.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I keep hearing about data caps but I've never seen anyone in my city have to deal with that. Neither when I went on sprint or T-Mobile, I'd legit download Netflix movies in 4K multiple times a day on the go and never seen anything about data caps. Here's the thing, online gaming is the most popular genre in gaming, no ifs ands or buts, it is what it is. If your internet isn't capable of playing 2k online than your probably exempt from using online gaming in general, so I don't think google or ms or Sony are counting on those gamers. There counting on the millions playing destiny online daily, the siege players, the cod players, the everything that's popular players, to buy it or he service. And everyone else that has modern day internet, we buy more, spend more share more etc. Why on God's geeen earth do you think people in mountains are going to make or break a streaming service?? Plus U.S has shitty internet but we buy the most online service games lol so that's not a good comparison, even people with shitty internet like to play online. And seriously if you have data caps on mobile that's just sad, I'd change carriers. I live in Massachusetts and we're not renowned for a our service trust and believe, my home is a dead zone but we all get fiber and cable lines so I don't see how the "nOT eveRyONe HAs STabLe iNteRNeT SPeEds" argument because I doubt any of best companies are banking on selling to them. I think these Fortune 500 companies are tad bit smarter than that. Now I'm not saying stadia will succeed to so don't crucify me, but availability will not be its downfall. It'll be it's price and games.
Landlines have much more generous data caps.
thebishop provided data for mobile so we're gonna talk about mobile data.
For mobile data in the US, if you're using a smartphone, the cheapest you can get is (using special discounts) 40 for a line but limited to 2Go of data.
I can tell you that you're not using Netflix everyday on this cap.

Sony and Msft don't have to care about mobile data caps because their main driver is stationary consoles that can use landline for most of its use.
It's great you have fiber but it's kind of irrelevant to the conversation of mobile data that we were provided data for.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
"Its like Playstation Plus except its not in any way at all!"

I want to like Stadia. I actually have it pre ordered. But every time more news about it comes out, i'm a step closer to cancelling. Nothing about it feels compelling right now, except for a very specific, extremely niche group of users like "People who love games, but travel a lot but never stay at hotels only airBNBs, and don't want to own a console, but don't care about spending money at all".

At a very high level, "theory only" the idea of playing games streaming only on any device you want and all the cool features that can unlock sounds AWESOME. But every single little detail makes it a lot less appealing.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Xcloud continues to look better and better every single day. I predict it will dominate streaming easily next gen. With stadia a far second place. And psnow a distant third.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What did you folks expect? These games cost upwards of $200 million to develop and market, and you want them ALL at an affordable subscription cost?

Netflix doesn't even have the majority of good or recent movies. How would a service like that survive if it didn't provide the majority of popular games? Do you think video game consumers would be happy with a service full of older content? It's hard to envision an all-inclusive subscription service that could work, and I imagine that's why google went with this model instead.

All? Nah. Just a nice collection to get you started. So you don't need to pay $60 to play anything besides Destiny 2.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Landlines have much more generous data caps.
thebishop provided data for mobile so we're gonna talk about mobile data.
For mobile data in the US, if you're using a smartphone, the cheapest you can get is (using special discounts) 40 for a line but limited to 2Go of data.
I can tell you that you're not using Netflix everyday on this cap.

Sony and Msft don't have to care about mobile data caps because their main driver is stationary consoles that can use landline for most of its use.
It's great you have fiber but it's kind of irrelevant to the conversation of mobile data that we were provided data for.
I have T-Mobile and there is a soft (emphasis on soft, google it) cap, but even then it's not noticeable. The soft cap is at 50gb's so... I'm not sure what plan your talking about. Idk anyone that doesn't pay for unlimited tbh and T-Mobile's probably the most popular in my area because of the price and how good the service is around here.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I can see how starting a new platform scratch is an uphill battle and I would be willing to accept a bare-bones launch which eventually evolves into a full-fledged revolutionary fact...except for the fact that by the time it will become a compelling product, google would probably either cancel or scale it back

Google hasn't done shit so far to ally my fears about the most central issue here i.e. their commitment to gaming and new products in general

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Boy, tough crowd for Stadia.

What is Era gonna do if this thing succeeds and sticks around?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For 30 months. If next gen consoles launch at $299 you're getting a worse deal starting at 2.5 years into the gen, and it just compounds from there on.

At 5 years you've spent $600 on your "console" alone.

A lot of people don't have $300-$500 to spend on a console at once excluding a game or two. Now at $10 a month? A lot of people can do that + a game or two.

The whole "over x amount of years thing is more expensive than xyz console" doesn't matter because people aren't looking at costs over x amount of time, they're looking at costs on a monthly basis just as they do with their Netflix, Hulu, Prime sub or other monthly bills they may have.

If I can get access to a machine that plays games at 4k/60 at $10 a month and I can't afford a new console you bet your ass I'll be subbing. This is a no brainier for a lot of people who can't shell out a lot of money at once but can do $10 a month.

As far as data caps? The 3 largest providers in the US offer options for unlimited data at a cost of course after 1TB. That includes Comcast (#1) and Charter (#2). AT&T U-Verse (#3) (which I have) doesn't have a data cap at $80/m for 1gb down/1gb up.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I have T-Mobile and there is a soft (emphasis on soft, google it) cap, but even then it's not noticeable. The soft cap is at 50gb's so... I'm not sure what plan your talking about. Idk anyone that doesn't pay for unlimited tbh and T-Mobile's probably the most popular in my area because of the price and how good the service is around here.
Ah, that is something I have not been aware of.
I'll check this out.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
With U Play+ coming to Stadia I wonder whether they'll offer their own Netflix style subscription at all. Rather, they'll let the third parties offer their own subscriptions on the platform, with Google getting a cut of the revenue.

Short of acquiring a publisher, it'll be a long while until Google has a steady flow of first party content to support their own subscription service.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
given the limitations of current tech, cloud streaming makes far more sense as a value-add - which Ubisoft is doing with Stadia and Uplay+, and MS is probably going to do with xCloud and XGPU - than it does as a service in and of itself. I don't really see a market for Stadia unless there's a really amazing exclusive lineup or something

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty much what they've said in the past, people just wanted to believe it was some sort of amazing super deal for free gaming. But really it's just like the competing consoles, a free (likely older/low budget) game or so every month, and the games don't collect while you aren't subscribed. You do get a discount on the games you buy for Stadia though.