• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They said you could stream it on your chromecast - you can't. (only their Chromecast right now)

They said you could stream to phones. You can't (only their phone right now)

For a service that's all about "no need to invest in extra hardware", it's launching with the requirement to purchase extra hardware, if you wanna play it on your TV and / or phone.

Nobody is arguing that it won't come to Android / iOS / Chromecasts further down the line - it's simply embarassing that they're launching at this state.

It's realistically a paid beta and I hope anyone that has a preorder is aware of what is promised vs what will actually be available next week. It would be nicer if they were clearer that "Founders" basically means "we're keeping this small and locking it behind hardware to keep the install base down because we're not confident in it just yet" but it seems the majority of people shittalking this on the internet probably aren't getting one next week anyway.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
For a service that's all about "no need to invest in extra hardware", it's launching with the requirement to purchase extra hardware, if you wanna play it on your TV and / or phone.
Maybe you missed the point that it's impossible to play at launch without ordering extra hardware (Founder's/Premier)...every single person who plays in the next two weeks will have new hardware. They said that much from day 1.

Literally no one knows what will or will not come to it. But the start isn't all that promising, tbh.
We do know that there will be at least 26 games by year's end.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The closer it gets to launch the smaller the potential user base for Stadia gets.

No users with data caps
No certain States
No old ChromeCasts only CC Ultra
No wireless controller for non CC Ultra
No third party controllers on CC Ultra
No iPhones only can buy games on app
No family sharing
No 4K, HDR, or 5.1 Surround Sound on PC
No PC UI or built in UI in CC Ultra for buying games only phone app
No stream connect / couch coop
No save state share
No crowd play / audience joining games
No achievements
No buddy pass
No cross play
No list of free games for Stadia Pro yet

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. That's some really rough stuff there... I get that they're rushing but there's no need. Crazy.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
This is totally fine. Just wait for PS5 and NextBox releasing without a HDMI port that will be released at a later date together with the UI and the ability to launch games.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this succeeds, partly because of the potential convenience of it but mainly because of the pessimism and hyperbolic responses.

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
The hilarious part of all these high profile releases coming out half-baked is what precipitated them in the first place: AGILE/SCRUM. Minimum Viable Product only really works if you have a well defined product that meets what people want, and if they screw that up... well, here we are.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand value proposition or just don't want to? Stadia as of now is not the product they pitched, and I'm sure Google counted on a number of the preorders slipping past unsuspecting consumers as important information gets backfilled.
They didn't have to hold these AMA's if that was their intention

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, even as a pretty big defender of streaming in gaming (and I still am) this launch is seeming....real bad. So I had to just cancel my order of the founders edition. I'll defend the tech and the idea but I'm not going to sit here and defend Google's incredibly botched launch of this. Guess I'll re-evaluate where Stadia is sitting next year.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah, even as a pretty big defender of streaming in gaming (and I still am) this launch is seeming....real bad. So I had to just cancel my order of the founders edition. I'll defend the tech and the idea but I'm not going to sit here and defend Google's incredibly botched launch of this. Guess I'll re-evaluate where Stadia is sitting next year.

Yeah I have to agree. I'm keeping my pre-order because I believe the tech is there, and I've held out on getting Shadowkeep for Destiny because I wanted to play it on Stadia. So I'll be using that as my test bed and if it goes well, I'll grab Borderlands 3 (I've also held out on). I'm still excited for the future of Stadia, but this launch is definitely not shaping up to what I wanted it to be.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have to agree. I'm keeping my pre-order because I believe the tech is there, and I've held out on getting Shadowkeep for Destiny because I wanted to play it on Stadia. So I'll be using that as my test bed and if it goes well, I'll grab Borderlands 3 (I've also held out on). I'm still excited for the future of Stadia, but this launch is definitely not shaping up to what I wanted it to be.
They have obviously run into issues and delays which is why they have been so quiet. Having been a part of many deployments, this happens.

Many "informed" gamers know this is early access and just like to disrupt for the sake of it.

Google has not lied, done a recent AMA and anyone can still cancel without penalty.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The closer it gets to launch the smaller the potential user base for Stadia gets.

No users with data caps
No certain States
No family sharing
No save state share
No achievements
No buddy pass
No cross play

Don't forget it's locked to a SPECIFIC phone-line on the Android side (believe the later Pixel line of phones) for mobile play, even though other ones theoretically can play it without issue.

Like, they say "Play anywhere!", but it's literally restricted in every way you could imagine.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oof at sitting out Shadowkeep for this. Good to great chance you never make up the ground lost for this season's rewards unless you've been playing on something else and can cross save with Stadia. Or...wait...does Stadia support cross-save at all for D2?

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017

No users with data caps
No certain States
No family sharing
No save state share
No achievements
No buddy pass
No cross play

But I'll be able to play Football Manager with my 8 year old Macbook Air with loads of leagues running so for me that's all I need. The fact I can then continue to play all day whilst at work is brilliant.

I get why some people may want to wait until all these features are there or maybe never even ever bother playing cloud games, but if I waited for every platform to implement every feature I might ever want, then I'd never play games.

Google's biggest crime is their poor communication, they should have been more clear at the onset about the fact that this 'launch' is early access to an ever evolving service, it is apparent now, but I think when they initially announced the Founders packs they could have messaged it better.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this succeeds, partly because of the potential convenience of it but mainly because of the pessimism and hyperbolic responses.
They're releasing a platform with 11 old games, one new small exclusive, missing UI for some basic functionality, and only available with the hardware they're selling. The fact that it won't even work with your *existing* Chromecast Ultra is absurd, let alone the missing phone, tablet and desktop functionality. They're also charging you $10 a month just for the privilege of buying these 11 old games, at a price point that they've explicitly said will be the same as literally owning a physical boxed copy.

People here don't seem down on the concept streaming, they seem down on a product launch that's so rushed that a google employee is hand delivering dev hardware day of. A launch so rushed that you can't even purchase games through your browser and can do so on your phone.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I hope Steam makes a better streaming service.

I wanted to give Stadia a chance but they're making it pretty damn hard.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I can see a Steam game streaming service. I can also see Valve insisting it runs on Linux, and requiring every game to be ported.

(I can also see them pulling that off)

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're releasing a platform with 11 old games, one new small exclusive, missing UI for some basic functionality, and only available with the hardware they're selling. The fact that it won't even work with your *existing* Chromecast Ultra is absurd, let alone the missing phone, tablet and desktop functionality. They're also charging you $10 a month just for the privilege of buying these 11 old games, at a price point that they've explicitly said will be the same as literally owning a physical boxed copy.

People here don't seem down on the concept streaming, they seem down on a product launch that's so rushed that a google employee is hand delivering dev hardware day of. A launch so rushed that you can't even purchase games through your browser and can do so on your phone.

This is basically my biggest contention with this (and I think most people's, as you mentioned). There is the issue of caps right now, of course, but the bigger problems are the problems listed here right now at least.

It's also infuriating since they pushed for "play everywhere", when it's probably one of the most restrictive streaming platform compared to other cloud gaming services that are out there (both already and in testing phase).

iJul@1502

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget it's locked to a SPECIFIC phone-line on the Android side (believe the later Pixel line of phones) for mobile play, even though other ones theoretically can play it without issue.

Like, they say "Play anywhere!", but it's literally restricted in every way you could imagine.

wait.. I not really follow this stadia saga as i'm sure it not release in my country , but for on the go streaming you need to buy pixel 4? that 800 dollar phone to play stadia next week??

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Continuing from closed thread (due to this thread existing) since I was mid-post...

But isnt "Streaming to all devices" suppose to mean I don't have to purchase anything else? My smart TV has plenty of apps already, why should I need a Chromecast? Will it just never stream 4k to my Roku TV without it?

I don't know (I haven't followed it much, I think I only really saw the initial presentation and some other news, then this mess) if they've indicated it would work like that to begin with. Maybe this other thread can speak to that better. My impression was that they were at least pretty clear on the Chromecast Ultra bit for TVs. Which, again, at least for these packs it does come with.

They've obviously kinda misrepresented what other devices you could use, though. It was first presented including iOS devices and then it quickly came out that they're extremely restricting that to certain Android ones (though at this point, that could understandably be due to not being able to support more).

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
It is a "beta" launch, but they are trying really hard to make it look like an alpha. I get that they should launch it slowly, probably dont have all the infrastructure set up... but they just keep delaying features.
It's barely a proof of concept at this point.

I'm waiting to hear that FEMA aid has been dispatched this is such a disaster.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
MPbX6OD_d.jpg

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

You only pay the monthly fee if you want the 4k streaming option. Also other chromecast ultra will be supported after firmware update after launch. Same with other hardware.
My self, I'm getting it because I like cool tech stuff. Sure I'd like more games to be announced. But I never finished rise of the tomb raider and the new darksiders is coming Dec 6...and that's fine.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

- At launch they support pixel phones
- At launch they support Desktop and Chrome OS (presumably through tablets)
- It's an early access launch, and every person they gave access is getting the Chromecast w/ the right firmware.. the update for existing firmware would presumably come soon
- There is a free version coming, and actually those paying $10 a month are supposed to get a discount on games

I totally get criticizing the launch lineup, but the sheer amount of people just spouting misinformation about the product proves people aren't actually discussing this in good faith.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get criticizing the launch lineup, but the sheer amount of people just spouting misinformation about the product proves people aren't actually discussing this in good faith.
That's been clear here since Stadia was announced.

Not much we can do, either mods will keep discussions on track when it launches or there will be no Stadia discussions here like it was for months on GAF when Xb1 was announced

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I totally missed them not having 4k on PC at launch, that is wild shit....So much shit is listed for next year...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and beyond that some of the statements they've made lead me to believe it's gonna be either 1080p or 4K, no 1440p or other resolutions even once 4K is ready for PC.
This reeks of one of the times management and engineers might not be on the same page on when something is launchable