• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For a product that the market doesn't seem to be ready for yet, I wonder how feasible it'd be for Google to delay this by 2 years and get it absolutely right at launch. I also feel like the market might be more welcoming to this tech by 2021.
Or they can release it now and people that cant understand a continually updated service can wait until 2021 to use it

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I just feel bad for the people backing this. It sounded great (not something I'd use now, but when 5g is up and running and it works on Android phones then hell yeah I would do) but could see the appeal from all the pre launch talk.

This just seems like a really half-assed launch though. Once it's actually near what they promised, anyone will have access and the people there from day one will probably be put off from the whole thing. Really weird launch for this, especially considering the competition are doing it better.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue with you guys all day about the target audience and why it's not like a regular system, but....this is indefensible. Holy shit how bizarre.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm buying the games either way wether I have stadia or not

If Stadia is decommissioned will you really have bought those games?

I'm not one of the people who think that Stadia will be shut down any time soon, but I'm also not entirely convinced that Google will be diligently upgrading and maintaining it for the next thirty years or whatever when they currently seem to have very little interest in getting it in a presentable state before they shove it out of the nest.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Stadia is decommissioned will you really have bought those games?

I'm not one of the people who think that Stadia will be shut down any time soon, but I'm also not entirely convinced that Google will be diligently upgrading and maintaining it for the next thirty years or whatever when they currently seem to have very little interest in getting it in a presentable state before they shove it out of the nest.
As long as I can play them and finish them I don't care if I lose them or not

I have a lot of old games I bought that aren't playable anymore, nes and snes carts that don't work anymore even some n64 ones

Also have some ps1 games that aren't playable anymore

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It's a little bit ironic that the only place you can play in 4k at launch is on your TV with required hardware (chromecast ultra). Even though the main selling point of Stadia is not being tied to hardware & being able to play wherever w/o hardware. You get 3 months of Stadia Pro, but 1.5 of them you won't even be able to play 4K on PC.

What I am most curious about is what is causing them problems in development that 4K won't be ready for PC until 2020? Seeing as people pay specifically for 4k/5.1 surround etc via the Stadia Pro subscription. I'd like to think their price will be pro-rated or they'll receive a free month b/c google couldn't deliver what they said they would, but I'm not sure if that's very likely.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Or they can release it now and people that cant understand a continually updated service can wait until 2021 to use it
You certainly don't want to release a product that will have terrible word of mouth at launch, because that's going to be an uphill battle, it'd be much better to delay and launch a compelling proposition value. Stadia is pretty lacking from what we've been reading and, if someone is a fan and wants it to succeed, I'm sure they don't want it to have terrible press that could absolutely bury it.

Edit: Ah, I see you've gone with the "games I used to own are unplayable now" argument, that's enough to see where you're coming from.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im personally looking 10 years 20 years 30 years into the future, if I buy this google will keep upgrading their servers and I'll never have to upgrade or buy a pc ever again the rest of my life

so I'll save what? 7,000 - 15,000$ or something? Hard to say over 30 years will be a lot though
You should probably use your superhuman clairvoyant powers for something more useful than knowing what video game platforms to buy.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You certainly don't want to release a product that will have terrible word of mouth at launch, because that's going to be an uphill battle, it'd be much better to delay and launch a compelling proposition value. Stadia is pretty lacking from what we've been reading and, if someone is a fan and wants it to succeed, I'm sure they don't want it to have terrible press that could absolutely bury it.
Word of mouth won't be terrible if it works, I'm pretty sure it already works though since I use GeForce now

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I read through the AMA and it looks like Stadia will be missing almost every feature they revealed, with some not being planned for implementation until next year - no firm date or even a vague ETA.

From the AMA:
Features availability. Our approach to releasing features on Stadia is similar to how we run Google Search, YouTube and other Google services: gradual rollout and continuous improvement, based on your feedback. We always start with nailing the key user-journey and then proceed with releasing extra features.

Why hire industry veterans who have shipped major products in the past if you're going to manage your product in such a bizarre, haphazard way? It's as if no one over at Google understands what customers expect in this space.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017

I have a lot of old games I bought that aren't playable anymore, nes and snes carts that don't work anymore even some n64 ones

All your old games work fine. Try to clean the carts and you're all set

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All your old games work fine. Try to clean the carts and you're all set
Idk if that will work or not but even if it did my nes doesn't work anymore and my ps1
Is gone, only system I still own that works is snes

and like I said I don't care if I lose these these games, I've played and finished them and got my money's worth out of them

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I read through the AMA and it looks like Stadia will be missing almost every feature they revealed, with some not being planned for implementation until next year - no firm date or even a vague ETA.

From the AMA:

Why hire industry veterans who have shipped major products in the past if you're going to manage your product in such a bizarre, haphazard way? It's as if no one over at Google understands what customers expect in this space.

Yea, I don't understand how they plan to make this work. Release now where every story is seemingly negative, and then hope you can grab people's attention later on as you slowly bolt together your service? How are you going to grab market share in two years when most people have already dismissed you and people want to talk about the brand new consoles?

I understand wanting to get out ahead of next gen, but it's looking like it's costing them everything. They better pray that post launch everything works perfectly and it's just a string of positive impressions and news stories.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What are you doing to your games that make them fail so often???

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Wow the whole framing and setup of this AMA thread is so heavy with a negative bias; really poor way to set up a thread about an AMA like this. Basically you just listed all the negative (or perceived as negative) info from the thread, and ignored any positive things.

Like, I'm pretty sure this response in the AMA is new info and a good thing:

BUT here's the good part. Stadia IS NOT A BOX! You don't need our hardware to start playing, remember? Right after we ship your order (but not earlier than 9AM PST 11/19), we'll send you an email with the invite code. You can use it immediately to create your account and reserve your Stadia name in the Stadia app on Android or iOS. Just for clarity: the first day is a little special, if we ship your order on 11/18, you'll receive the code on 11/19.

... BOOM! you can play immediately on your computer in the Chrome browser or on your Pixel phone. You can use mouse + keyboard or your existing HID-compliant controller. We'll start streaming bits while atoms are making their way to your house ) Admittedly, the best experience at launch is on TV (4K, HDR and all), but I'm enjoying Destiny 2 on my MacBook big-time.

Once your Stadia Founder's Edition arrives, you will set up the Chromecast, using the Google Home app. And connect your controller to WiFi using Stadia app. And continue where you left off, but this time on your biggest baddest screen.

Another:

ANDREY: Ok. Time to announce something new and cool…. Behold… THE CLAW!

We've designed a special accessory for Pixel and Stadia Controller! The official name is Claw and will be produced by our Made for Google partner PowerSupport. It will be sold exclusively through the Gstore and available for purchase in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Founders getting raked over the coals. Buy-in now and maybe the features will come out next year with the free version.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The service was a clear early-access from the moment they announced it was restricted to Founder's and later Premiere Edition buyers. Yes, they are using the word "launch". Yes, their messaging is really bad. There is no disputing that, but, to me, thinking this is a full launch, just because they are saying it, is like believing MTX is a Surprise Mechanic because EA is saying it. They can say it all they want, it won't change what it is.

Now, trying to clarify the small part people are highlighting from the AMA:

Known since the beginning:
- Stadia on iOS will arrive eventually

Known for at least for two months:
- Stadia Buddy Pass will not be available to Founders at launch
- Only the Founder's Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day. Existing Chromecasts won't
- Family Sharing is not available at launch. Recommended to just buy a second version of a $60 game on your account for a kid or other family member to play with, and then eventually be able to share it

The only thing that should be added to the Chromecast bit, is that existing Chromecast Ultra will receive a firmware update, but not on launch day. The family sharing is 100% right, but without the question and response, it sounds like a crazy "you have a 360 for that" answer. So, here is the context:
Q: How will family link integrate into stadia? Will you be able to share games with family members in order to play together? Or will I have to buy a separate copy of the game for each child?

ANDREY: Family Link is supported on Day 1 to provide parents the ability to manage their child's experience on Stadia. As a parent you have controls in your Family link app on the phone and the Stadia parental dashboard.

Family Sharing is not supported on day 1, so you'll have to buy games for your child's account. But it's a high priority feature, we're planning to launch early next year.

New info
- The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it will still capture achievement so you can see them when a UI is available.
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently

But then again, it is an early-access.

If you want to read the full summary, it is here:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

They are still an engineering driven company.

My guess is it goes something like this:

- Engineers work on various techs related to game streaming for years, have some breakthroughs in 2018
- Engineers convince their bosses to throw the Project Stream beta out to the public
- "Hey people like this" after project Stream beta early 2019
- Google assigns an actual product owner to the product and tells them to get something out by end of year

It's why the basic streaming tech is probably going to be best in class, and everything else about the product is still catching up after Google hired more people with gaming experience.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Wow the whole framing and setup of this AMA thread is so heavy with a negative bias; really poor way to set up a thread about an AMA like this. Basically you just listed all the negative (or perceived as negative) info from the thread, and ignored any positive things.

Isn't playing on their PC on day 1 to be expected? I wouldn't say it's new or good, but more like the Bare Minimum they should have ready. And even then, it won't be available in 4k on PC until 2020.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
They are still an engineering driven company.

My guess is it goes something like this:

- Engineers work on various techs related to game streaming for years, have some breakthroughs in 2018
- Engineers convince their bosses to throw the Project Stream beta out to the public
- "Hey people like this" after project Stream beta early 2019
- Google assigns an actual product owner to the product and tells them to get something out by end of year

It's why the basic streaming tech is probably going to be best in class, and everything else about the product is still catching up after Google hired more people with gaming experience.
They also need to launch it before xCloud, PS5 and Scarlet. They are already in a tough position launching it earlier.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently

I still think this isn't necessarily true; they were answering a question about Chromecast, and telling people they can't buy games via Chromecast. In that answer they did say "you need your phone to buy games" but that could easily be a slight mis-speak; you naturally describe UX for Chromecast as being phone interactions because that's how the product works. You also might be able to buy games via the web, but for that answer about Chromecast they said phone.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I mean, I thought of the November launch as a paid Beta/Early Access launch anyway. The real launch isn't until March-ish so I would expect those features then.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I still think this isn't necessarily true; they were answering a question about Chromecast, and telling people they can't buy games via Chromecast. In that answer they did say "you need your phone to buy games" but that could easily be a slight mis-speak; you naturally describe UX for Chromecast as being phone interactions because that's how the product works. You also might be able to buy games via the web, but for that answer about Chromecast they said phone.
Yeah. I got that impression too. I just couldn't find the quote from where this message was taken.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Isn't playing on their PC on day 1 to be expected? I wouldn't say it's new or good, but more like the Bare Minimum they should have ready. And even then, it won't be available in 4k on PC until 2020.

Not really. At least as far as I understood it, the Chromecast was going to be the only way to play until later. Maybe that was just me, though. Anyway, what do you mean by "Bare minimum they should have..."? I think, as someone mentioned above, people are mistaking (in part due to their poor messaging) this for something like a console launch, when really it's like a public beta or early access program, and that is how I've been looking at it for a few months now -- it was pretty obvious for anyone that was paying attention.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah. I got that impression too. I just couldn't find the quote from where this message was taken.
This is the question/answer:

reddit said:
Will a phone have to be used every time you try to use stadia on the chromecast to cast stadia, or just for initial setup?

BERI: You will not need your phone every time you use Stadia. The phone is needed for initial setup and buying games. Once you've connected, to play games, you can just grab your controller and hit the Stadia button.

To me that's a pretty wild assumption to think that means no web store. The user specifically asked about phone vs. chromecast.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really feels like this should launch like 2 years from now or should have been started in earnest several years prior to when it was.

Feb 10, 2018
I recently Googled "'Stadia" cause I wanted to find some kind of page where I could find some summary, information or whatever for something that I was writing and... there is none?
I mean there is the https://stadia.dev/ page but that's something for developers that are interested in creating content on Stadia.
https://stadia.com/ just redirects to the Google Store... I guess there's a page for Stadia there but that's it? Really?
It's kinda amazing that there is no dedicated page for the end users that would want to use their product.

This just keeps getting a bigger mess over and over again.

The stadia store site is the first site for me, and theres loads of stadia info in the search result ready and apparent. Maybe your Google cookies have deemed u not worthy lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. This is the kind of stuff I would expect from Nintendo trying to launch a streaming service and not google who has its bread and butter in online infrastructure.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Lol....

"Our features are there, trust us, you just can't see them because they don't have a UI yet, but once that goes live.. *checks calendar*.. soon, you will be able to see that they definitely are there, please trust us."

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The stadia store site is the first site for me, and theres loads of stadia info in the search result ready and apparent. Maybe your Google cookies have deemed u not worthy lol
Yeah I was also shocked bu this the other day. I wanted to go to the Stadia web page to find out about launch titles and internet speed requirements. And there literally just isn't one. I was dumbfounded haha.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Not really. At least as far as I understood it, the Chromecast was going to be the only way to play until later. Maybe that was just me, though. Anyway, what do you mean by "Bare minimum they should have..."? I think, as someone mentioned above, people are mistaking (in part due to their poor messaging) this for something like a console launch, when really it's like a public beta or early access program, and that is how I've been looking at it for a few months now -- it was pretty obvious for anyone that was paying attention.

BUT here's the good part. Stadia IS NOT A BOX! You don't need our hardware to start playing, remember? Right after we ship your order (but not earlier than 9AM PST 11/19), we'll send you an email with the invite code. You can use it immediately to create your account and reserve your Stadia name in the Stadia app on Android or iOS. Just for clarity: the first day is a little special, if we ship your order on 11/18, you'll receive the code on 11/19.

Nevermind the part where they've arbitrarily made it ENTIRELY dependent on the box by not sending those codes out before shipping the physical hardware. If somebody pre-ordered a founder's edition on the strength that this product is divorced from onerous hardware requirements it's absolutely absurd that the rollout is being throttled by physical constraints. Now, whether or not Google is doing that purposely to mitigate launch day issues is another conversation to be had, but it's terrible optics given the the philosophical underpinnings of the product, and further compounded by the Founder's edition being partially sold on the notion of having the earliest possible access and getting first dibs on your username.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
FWBhaoV.jpg
Hahahahahahahaha

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This will potentially be the most interesting piece of hardware to keep up with over the next year for all the wrong reasons.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I was also shocked bu this the other day. I wanted to go to the Stadia web page to find out about launch titles and internet speed requirements. And there literally just isn't one. I was dumbfounded haha.

The store page links to a speed test for testing your connection and links to a requirements page, a FAQ, etc.

It's a little sparse for sure but the product hasn't launched yet.

I'm sure Stadia.com is launching next week.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I see people are still thinking this is a console in a box with their way of thinking. There is a UI for the platform if you'd have bothered to read the AMA rather than drive by snark posts.

The whole system works like casting a movie from Google play or YouTube to your TV. If you wish to change where you play you change the cast location and device. They've got an official phone clip for pixels coming out called the claw.