• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I really thought Google gave a shit about this. I just don't understand why? It's not even like Stadia would be the 'first'.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently

What? Why? How? Are there people actually working on this, or did some literal sentient suits at Google cobbled this shit together?

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It always amazes me how a billion dollar corporation with access to just about any resource they'd need can fuck up something this hard.

This is why all the posts clapping back at anyone skeptical of Stadia with "It's google! They're loaded so of course they're going to do it right" over the past few months have been so baffling. Billion dollar corporations fuck things up all the time, and while advertising dollars can often brute force the door into a market open, it is certainly not an ironclad predictor of success short-term or long-term.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Not really. At least as far as I understood it, the Chromecast was going to be the only way to play until later. Maybe that was just me, though. Anyway, what do you mean by "Bare minimum they should have..."? I think, as someone mentioned above, people are mistaking (in part due to their poor messaging) this for something like a console launch, when really it's like a public beta or early access program, and that is how I've been looking at it for a few months now -- it was pretty obvious for anyone that was paying attention.

In their initial showing they had it playing on PC, Tablet, & Phone. Don't see why we shouldn't expect it to work as advertised. To me that is the bare minimum. And yes, I agree. Anyone that's been paying attention can tell that Google is marketing it like an actual launch, when in reality it is a paid early access program.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I don't understand this mentality, it says early access on their web page and anyone can still cancel with no penalty.

There is absolutely no language on the Stadia product page that frames it as "early access" in the sense that you're referring to (ie, Steam early access). They've used marketing language to the effect of "order a Founder's edition and be the first to play", but never in the context of "be a beta tester"

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely no language on the Stadia product page that frames it as "early access" in the sense that you're referring to (ie, Steam early access). They've used marketing language to the effect of "order a Founder's edition and be the first to play", but never in the context of "be a beta tester"
Stadia across all supported devices in early access.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Hot damn, this just gets more pathetic as we go jeez.

So basically:
No web interface
iOS users get fucked
Not a single exclusive game
No family sharing or buddy passes
No editions outside the founders editions will work
Need the a phone to buy anything

Who the hell thought this product was in a launchable state? Sounds like AC origins streamed successfully so let's throw something together for a 2019 release. I would call my bank and charge back the $129 on fraudulent ground. Google wtf?

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think that their goal is to have Stadia ready for the next gen launch. When people are looking at new $500 consoles, I can see it being a lot more tempting. This almost feels like a beta where they launch with basic features and work on functionality. That makes sense but it's crappy to have people pay for a beta.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well they said that they plan update each week, I think this going to turn out amazing by the time everyone gets to play with it early next year.

One of those things with a rocky start but eventually got there

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This is absolutely hilarious. How on Earth is this product from GOOGLE so shit and unfinished, when its barely got any games to sell on it anyway? At least the only people actually spending money on this should be well informed.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They are still an engineering driven company.

My guess is it goes something like this:

I get all that and understood that is their approach, I was questioning why they would hire gaming product managers and producers just to treat it like one of their other services? This isn't Google Drive or something, it's a gaming platform.

In any event, I wish them the best. They're going to need all the luck they can get if they want this thing to have legs after launching barebones.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I get all that and understood that is their approach, I was questioning why they would hire gaming product managers and producers just to treat it like one of their other services? This isn't Google Drive or something, it's a gaming platform.

In any event, I wish them the best. They're going to need all the luck they can get if they want this thing to have legs after launching barebones.
Well I'm just saying that came kind of late; they hired those people after already planning to launch a product.

Like the fact they JUST announced the founding of game studios is to create exclusive content is both sort of hilarious.. but also interesting in that it's no small investment to form game studios.

They clearly brought the actual product people on really late in the process lol

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I think that their goal is to have Stadia ready for the next gen launch. When people are looking at new $500 consoles, I can see it being a lot more tempting. This almost feels like a beta where they launch with basic features and work on functionality. That makes sense but it's crappy to have people pay for a beta.

I don't see any other way of sensibly scaling. Sure, you can hand out a smaller amount of hardware for free, but then your beta is too small (and they already did this with Project Stream). The paid early access model lets them control deployment at scales that are relevant for testing mass use of the platform.

well they said that they plan update each week, I think this going to turn out amazing by the time everyone gets to play with it early next year.

One of those things with a rocky start but eventually got there

That's another thing people here don't seem to get -- it isn't like a console launch where it gets released and then that's the console, pretty much for the whole gen. This kind of product is going to be receiving constant updates capable of greater changes than the system software updates we get with consoles.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I read through the AMA and it looks like Stadia will be missing almost every feature they revealed, with some not being planned for implementation until next year - no firm date or even a vague ETA.

From the AMA:

Why hire industry veterans who have shipped major products in the past if you're going to manage your product in such a bizarre, haphazard way? It's as if no one over at Google understands what customers expect in this space.

They hired the guy who managed the launch of the PS3 and XBone. What do you expect? All of this is par of the course with Harrison.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL good one seriously its not.

It is. The majority of the country (talking specifically United States) sails easily past the minimum speed requirements. Sure, there are going to be exceptions but the majority of the country is ready.

Straight from a FCC report:

Approximately 92% of the population has access to both fixed terrestrial services at 25 Mbps/3 Mbps and mobile LTE at speeds of 5 Mbps/1 Mbps. In rural areas, 68.6% of Americans have access to both services, as opposed to 97.9% of Americans in urban areas. With respect to fixed 25 Mbps/3 Mbps and 10 Mbps/3 Mbps LTE services, 85.3% of all Americans have access to such services, including 61% in evaluated rural areas and 89.8% in evaluated urban areas.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no clue what the market actually is for Stadia. People who really want to play AAA games but aren't willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on a console? How big is that segment? Or is it for enthusiasts who want to have cutting edge graphics all the time? Because those people are going to be the most sensitive to the downsides of Stadia (latency, the entire business model).

Here's the real thing - not everything has to be in the cloud. Video games are actually a perfect example of when local processing is superior because of the interactive nature that is at the core of their very existence. We can get very powerful consoles into the hands of people for like $400 every 6-7 years. It's not a huge barrier to entry.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no clue what the market actually is for Stadia. People who really want to play AAA games but aren't willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on a console? How big is that segment? Or is it for enthusiasts who want to have cutting edge graphics all the time? Because those people are going to be the most sensitive to the downsides of Stadia (latency, the entire business model).

Here's the real thing - not everything has to be in the cloud. Video games are actually a perfect example of when local processing is superior because of the interactive nature that is at the core of their very existence. We can get very powerful consoles into the hands of people for like $400 every 6-7 years. It's not a huge barrier to entry.
I don't have to buy hardware now though if I don't want to, I see no reason to now that I have another option

why spend 500$ - 1000$ if I don't have to

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely hilarious. How on Earth is this product from GOOGLE so shit and unfinished, when its barely got any games to sell on it anyway? At least the only people actually spending money on this should be well informed.

google doesn't release finished products. It shits them out quarter baked and eventually they get good (Gmail,docs, etc) or they die (hangout, wave, +, etc)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
That's another thing people here don't seem to get -- it isn't like a console launch where it gets released and then that's the console, pretty much for the whole gen. This kind of product is going to be receiving constant updates capable of greater changes than the system software updates we get with consoles.
  1. It being easier to roll out updates doesn't necessarily mean that the frequency of worthwhile updates will be higher. It's easier to roll stuff in, sure, but there's still the whole process/expense of actually implementing and QAing the changes. It's also easier to break things, or have publishers give up on keeping their games current to utilize the new features.
  2. Publishers make games for the hardware where the money is. Unless they're moneyhatted or have a director that really wants to design a game around the Stadia-specific features, games will still be tethered to the PS5/Xboo. If Stadia catches on we may see it become the baseline, but until then it'll probably just be higher-res/framerates and some stuff that's easily implementable with the Stadia API, and nothing to really separate it from the pack.
Personally, I really think Stadia really needed to wait until they had a game that could show off what Stadia can do. The ability to play wherever is basically their selling point right now, but that's not even implemented yet.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Have they secretly only been working on this since last week, and everything until now has been the marketing department?
Seriously though, I can't believe how bad a state it sounds like this is going to be launching in.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have they secretly only been working on this since last week, and everything until now has been the marketing department?
Seriously though, I can't believe how bad a state it sounds like this is going to be launching in.
6 years, they started after they released the first chromecast

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The tech is there for sure.
The betas were pretty solid for those who tested it.
I played games over shitty wifi on the nvivia shield handheld when they had their streaming service and that worked pretty okay considering it wasn't even supported in my country lol. And that was about 5 years ago.

The problem is with their handling of everything.
The pricing, the fact that it doesn't just work on existing chromecasts and phones. The very limited launch lineup.

I'm sure it'll be a great product in 2 years when all the issues are ironed out and its a $20 a month sub to play a library of games anywhere you are.
But until then, its a pass from me.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Can't believe a platform comes out in 2019 without achievements! All console have... oh.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It is a "beta" launch, but they are trying really hard to make it look like an alpha. I get that they should launch it slowly, probably dont have all the infrastructure set up... but they just keep delaying features.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait, they actually locked stadia behind a specific Chromecast and didn't push it to all Ultras. Google is insane

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
  1. It being easier to roll out updates doesn't necessarily mean that the frequency of worthwhile updates will be higher. It's easier to roll stuff in, sure, but there's still the whole process/expense of actually implementing and QAing the changes. It's also easier to break things, or have publishers give up on keeping their games current to utilize the new features.
  2. Publishers make games for the hardware where the money is. Unless they're moneyhatted or have a director that really wants to design a game around the Stadia-specific features, games will still be tethered to the PS5/Xboo. If Stadia catches on we may see it become the baseline, but until then it'll probably just be higher-res/framerates and some stuff that's easily implementable with the Stadia API, and nothing to really separate it from the pack.
Personally, I really think Stadia really needed to wait until they had a game that could show off what Stadia can do. The ability to play wherever is basically their selling point right now, but that's not even implemented yet.

Re: 1, I think your take is dead wrong and you are still looking at things as though Google is a game console manufacturer. Google comes from the web services and applications world, and the way they approach changes is very different (consider your experiences with the evolution of any Google product from an updates perspective). Although I don't think its quite "continuous deployment", they tend to make small(ish) changes frequently, sometimes even with feature flipping (updates to some customers, then flow out gradually).

The other thing is that you are also only looking at it from a games (or game SDK) update perspective, and not the the entirety of the system. Everything from interfaces to instance OS software (to the instance spec. itself to some degree) is also much more easily updated in this model.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Locking 4k behind Chromecast + not releasing an OTA update ahead of time for existing Chromecasts? Also throw in delaying buddy pass 2 weeks... also staggering shipping to people who pre-ordered ages ago.

A lot of this stuff sounds like they are trying to stagger the load on the servers. The first wave of "shipped" people will get codes to login and start playing via Chrome or their Pixel phones but won't be able to use 4k, potentially putting less stress on part of their architecture (less bandwidth.) If they updated existing Chroemcast devices, those people would be able to use 4k before Google is theoretically ready to handle the load. (not in the sense that they couldn't possibly handle it, but that they are planning on having 2-3 days where they can see how the traffic is dispersed on the initial 1080p users before then prepping for the 4k users)

I'm theorizing, but all of the things I mentioned above all sound like ways to stagger who is using Stadia and how. The buddy codes being the most obvious thing.

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
I mean, seeing that launch line up was bad enough, but this is utterly ridiculous. Talk about coming in hot. This fucking thing is magma.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Soo I'm getting real close to canceling my founder's edition...
If your not sure, then do it. You can always get the Premier edition of you change your mind after the rollout. The stuff you lose its trivial.

Personally I need a Chromecast and just want to see how d2 performs. I'm used to beta and early access so my initial expectations are low