• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This whole Twitter thread is crazy.

- The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it will still capture achievement so you can see them when a UI is available.
- Only the Founder's Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day. Existing Chromecasts won't
- Family Sharing is not available at launch. Recommended to just buy a second version of a $60 game on your account for a kid or other family member to play with, and then eventually be able to share it
- Stadia on iOS will arrive eventually
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently
- Stadia Buddy Pass will not be available to Founders at launch

I guess there's more to come? I haven't seen a thread on it here, but a few of the GameDailyBiz and GamesIndustry.biz folks have seen this tweet, so I assume a more comprehensive article will be coming shortly!

Saying this is Ouya 2.0 is REALLY generous right now

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
It is. The majority of the country (talking specifically United States) sails easily past the minimum speed requirements. Sure, there are going to be exceptions but the majority of the country is ready.

Looks like my state isn't ready for the streaming future.

image0.png

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Im personally looking 10 years 20 years 30 years into the future, if I buy this google will keep upgrading their servers and I'll never have to upgrade or buy a pc ever again the rest of my life

so I'll save what? 7,000 - 15,000$ or something? Hard to say over 30 years will be a lot though
You should never buy something for what it could be, in the future.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Looks like my state isn't ready for the streaming future.
That sucks; out of curiosity what is your fastest DC on this site, and what was the ping?

GCPing.com

Measure latency to Google Cloud regions

I'm guessing your closest datacenters are still in the US; what sucks is you might be just plain shit out of luck indefinitely with a tech like this. It may never be economically feasible for Google to have a low latency connection to your state. Or at the very least might be a long time.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks; out of curiosity what is your fastest DC on this site, and what was the ping?

GCPing.com

Measure latency to Google Cloud regions

I'm guessing your closest datacenters are still in the US; what sucks is you might be just plain shit out of luck indefinitely with a tech like this. It may never be economically feasible for Google to have a low latency connection to your state. Or at the very least might be a long time.

LA 72ms

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how much better the Onlive pre launch pr cycle was.

I feel like Onlive was more feature complete at launch than what we're seeing here, too.

I am all aboard the streaming future but I am shocked at how bad Google's messaging has been.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Re: 1, I think your take is dead wrong and you are still looking at things as though Google is a game console manufacturer. Google comes from the web services and applications world, and the way they approach changes is very different (consider your experiences with the evolution of any Google product from an updates perspective). Although I don't think its quite "continuous deployment", they tend to make small(ish) changes frequently, sometimes even with feature flipping (updates to some customers, then flow out gradually).

The other thing is that you are also only looking at it from a games (or game SDK) update perspective, and not the the entirety of the system. Everything from interfaces to instance OS software (to the instance spec. itself to some degree) is also much more easily updated in this model.

Eh, I think that's true on a user interface level, but at the end of the day it's still a "games system" first and foremost. It needs to interact with the games in the way the games are expecting.

We'll see!

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Is there a reason why they didnt just call this a beta test. I'm pretty sure it would have made no difference in sales since people love being the first to buy these things. ie. Amazons 'invitation only' product launches.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You know, you could just not launch until you have your ducks in a row. It's an option. Can't even use chromecast at launch lol

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Is there a reason why they didnt just call this a beta test. I'm pretty sure it would have made no difference in sales since people love being the first to buy these things. ie. Amazons 'invitation only' product launches.
The store page has always said "early access" in a couple of places. They've also told people that in a few different pieces of marketing.

But they probably should have been more clear; put "EARLY ACCESS" in big bold letters near the "Ad to Cart" buttons and whatnot like Steam does.

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, if there's no web UI to buy games for Stadia, and iPhone isn't supported... how would you actually *play* a Stadia game on your PC when it releases? Cuz I have the Founder stuff pre-ordered, but I only have a PC and an iPhone so... should I be cancelling?

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
So, uh, if there's no web UI to buy games for Stadia, and iPhone isn't supported... how would you actually *play* a Stadia game on your PC when it releases?
That quote is guessing it won't be on the web. But if true, you could buy on the iPhone or Android app and play it on your computer.

The iPhone and Android apps are already out. What it isn't supported, is playing on the iPhone.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So, uh, if there's no web UI to buy games for Stadia, and iPhone isn't supported... how would you actually *play* a Stadia game on your PC when it releases? Cuz I have the Founder stuff pre-ordered, but I only have a PC and an iPhone so... should I be cancelling?
There's an iOS app.

And TBH, I'm not entirely convinced their won't be a web store. The actual question asked was about setting up/using a Chromecast. The answer might have not meant to mean that there wouldn't be a web UI.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I don't understand this mentality, it says early access on their web page and anyone can still cancel with no penalty.
Don't understand value proposition or just don't want to? Stadia as of now is not the product they pitched, and I'm sure Google counted on a number of the preorders slipping past unsuspecting consumers as important information gets backfilled.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand value proposition or just don't want to? Stadia as of now is not the product they pitched, and I'm sure Google counted on a number of the preorders slipping past unsuspecting consumers as important information gets backfilled.
Yes it is the basic version of what they pitched

they said you could stream without a console or pc? Got it

Said you could stream to phones? Got it with pixel (more phones later)

said you could stream to your pc? Got it

said founders edition would start shipping on 19th. Got it

said you could play games without downloading them? Got it

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
This is unbelievably sloppy, especially considering that Google is a large company with vast resources. They announced this so many months ago, and on top of that they've had years to scout the competition.

Why would they not push this back to the Spring? The bad press is going to bury what small chance they had to make this successful.

It really sounds like they instead want customers to beta test this for them.

They originally announced that Stadia would be available in 2019. They might have felt it was more important to keep that promise, rather than announce a delay.

I'm theorizing, but all of the things I mentioned above all sound like ways to stagger who is using Stadia and how. The buddy codes being the most obvious thing.

That's possible, but exactly how much do they have to restrict it? Some of the requirements are strange, such as limiting Wi-Fi controller connections to people playing on a Chromecast. If they're testing scenarios, then it would be help for them to allow a few more varied configurations, to observe how customers might try to use the product in the real world.

They've already restricted the number of users by selling a finite number of Founder's Editions, and they're not even shipping them all simultaneously. They should allow their (small) user base to run wild by allowing them to use different combinations of the supported devices.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
If social networking, music, video and email services (Inbox) aren't big enough for Google to maintain and improve, Stadia probably won't be either.

This sounds like every other recent Google 'soft-launch'.
(Allo, YouTube Music and Gaming, Hangouts, Inbox, Google+, Tasks, Podcasts).

Release minimum viable product to small audience with basic features missing, don't communicate concrete roadmap, update product at a slow pace (if at all), possibly close down product due to "lack of use" despite barely improving said product.

This is an interesting thread on similar shutdowns.

If Google can't get a lot of this stuff done at launch, don't assume that it'll come in the near future. And also don't assume that Google is actually serious about this long term. This isn't the first time Google has made a large upfront investment in something only to starve said product of resources.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of UI when you login to stadia. At least they showed it running on a tv using the Chromecast. You're not using the phone to cast a game to chrome running on pc.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there is some sort of UI when you login to stadia. At least they showed it running on a tv using the Chromecast. You're not using the phone to cast a game to chrome running on pc.

I'm only planning on playing through PC (which should be the simplest possible use-case for Stadia), but if there's not actually a web interface I don't know how you'd actually login to *play* through PC.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018

said you could stream to your pc? Got it

said founders edition would start shipping on 19th. Got it

said you could play games without downloading them? Got it
Why defend Google and this less than half baked launch? Even if this service works flawlessly out of the gate it's got no killer app, a handful of games that have been out for a while, and it's entire user experience is unfinished. Who cares if it works if that's all there is?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why defend Google and this less than half baked launch? Even if this service works flawlessly out of the gate it's got no killer app, a handful of games that have been out for a while, and it's entire user experience is unfinished. Who cares if it works if that's all there is?
I didn't know it was only going to have 12 games forever, will it still only have 12 games next year too?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of things here to shake your head at but lets give them some credit.. technically... they are further along with an Achievement system than Epic... so lets give credit when credit is due.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you are the one who said "in thirty years". Why you think Stadia will exist in 30 years I have no idea.
Maybe it will maybe it won't I don't care, I'll use it until whenever it lasts

If it lasts me a whole generation without having to upgrade my pc atleast it would have saved me money for 1 generation

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man with respect: you have to be a new fool or a sucker to pay money for this shit at launch and buy games at full price that only work on this service, which you can't actually sell off should things go poorly.

This shit is all risk for the gamer. I can't imagine anyone feeling confident.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
- The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it will still capture achievement so you can see them when a UI is available.

Why offer something that isn't ready? Why the hell isn't a standard like achievements ready at launch?

- Only the Founder's Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day. Existing Chromecasts won't

This sounds like a lazy response. If you're going to be able to play this thing everywhere you have a small window to prove it. Not a great start...

- Family Sharing is not available at launch. Recommended to just buy a second version of a $60 game on your account for a kid or other family member to play with, and then eventually be able to share it

This is the most insane thing I've heard from a platform's PR in a long time. If it isn't available at launch and I buy a second copy do I get my money back? I'm going to guess no...

- Stadia on iOS will arrive eventually

That's a no brainer should have been there at the get go.

- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently

This isn't the end of the world, but it is going to have a lot of ppl turn away to look at another device that demands your time. You're in the store, you get a TiK ToK notification and boom... User left the store to spend time, free time else where.

- Stadia Buddy Pass will not be available to Founders at launch

So this thing is missing more options than I can count at this point. I'm not even sure this thing is going to make it a year.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when Mr. Stadia went on Giant Bomb at E3 and seemed like nothing more than a greasy snake oil salesman?

I remember.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Is Phil Harrison's involvement the console launch kiss of death? I have no doubts he's got some talent, but after the horrific PS3 launch, the worse Xbox One launch which involved his meddling in European affairs and now this, not a great track record.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Idk if that will work or not but even if it did my nes doesn't work anymore and my ps1
Is gone, only system I still own that works is snes

and like I said I don't care if I lose these these games, I've played and finished them and got my money's worth out of them
Even if you're not concerned about owning the games per se, which is something I can't fathom but that's about personal choices, I think maybe you should be interested in their monetary value: some of those old games may be worth hundreds for collectors. If your snes fails, they still hold their value. When stadia platform closes, you're left with absolutely nothing.

Sep 24, 2019
This is really weird?
How can they think this is an acceptable launch state?

This feels worse then Nintendo Switch Online launch and that is not a high bar to hit.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

They said you could stream it on your chromecast - you can't. (only their Chromecast right now)
They said you could stream to phones. You can't (only their phone right now)

For a service that's all about "no need to invest in extra hardware", it's launching with the requirement to purchase extra hardware, if you wanna play it on your TV and / or phone.

Nobody is arguing that it won't come to Android / iOS / Chromecasts further down the line - it's simply embarassing that they're launching at this state.