• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint: Stadia the Technology? Awesome. Stadia the Service? Not So Much

New York Times: Google Stadia Wants You to Replace Your Video Game Console. Don't

Polygon: Cloud gaming brought down to earth

The Verge: Thank you for playing

USGamer: A muddled stream of consciousness

Gamespot: Too little, too soon

The Guardian: The console vanishes from video gaming (3/5)

Engadget: Shockingly playable

Destructoid:

Digital Foundry: The best game streaming yet, but far from ready
www.eurogamer.net

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Can Stadia tech out-muscle Xbox One X? How good is the streaming quality and what about the lag?

Venturebeat: It works, but it doesn't matter

Gamexplain: The Future is now... maybe

Giant Bomb Quick Look

Tested:

Last edited:

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Canceled two days ago. This would be fine if there was just the sub to pay, but having to pay premium for a hardware with so many negatives its a big no-no.

Will reevaluate next year based on improvements.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What I've read has been politely reserved, but it's (unfortunately) clear that the service itself isn't there yet. I think the softer launch may end up working out well, in terms of improvement with time. That said, they've already made this feel like a late launch, and the result basically isn't good enough to stand alone in the market.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The service is so obviously rushed to get ahead of Microsoft's xCloud.

They should have been more confident.. long-term and if done right this could be a viable alternative.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
giphy.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the indifference to Stadia is far more damaging than the hatred. It's a good idea, but no one really wants it yet.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They're worse than expected. D2 running at 1080 and getting upscaled is... well.

Google has got to rethink how it soft launches everything. They're not a small startup any more. It doesn't work.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hm, this quote sounds promising :

DOES GOOGLE STADIA HAVE INPUT LAG?
Using a Stadia Controller plugged directly into my laptop or the Pixel 3a, I rarely noticed input lag. At times, I forgot I was streaming a video game, it felt so natural. That said, while the moment-to-moment input felt smooth, a variety of visual issues all but ruined the experience of playing games on the service.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I kind of wish Stadia was a standalone piece of kit so we could have a followup to this gem:

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
You only get one shot at a first impression, and based on the reviews so far, that impression appears to be a wet thud. Ooof.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Not surprised, could've legit only been more DOA if they shipped the consoles with these three letters written on the console with sharpie.

Question is how much effort Google is willing to invest into turning this around.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This was more or less my prediction. I'm glad I didn't buy in with the founders pack.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia struggled the most with Mortal Kombat 11. In some fights, motion stuttered and the graphics appeared more pixelated at times, like when my character stuck a giant sword through his opponent's stomach and sawed away at his innards.

Google said this could be because my internet speeds dipped.

Oh?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play Cyberpunk on this at 4K60FPS. I'm sure it will be way better than it will be on next gen consoles/PC.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Those screenshot comparisons over at The Verge are horrid. Destiny looks way worse on Stadia. And that's what you pay the 4k premium for?
Then all the missing features... damn... I feel sorry for the early adopters.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The visual stutter and slowdown can be brutal, and isn't limited to any one device or game. In Destiny 2 on the Chromecast Ultra, scrimmages with lots of enemies and explosions saw occasional slowdown, as did opening moments in new areas and cutscenes. Mortal Kombat 11 on the Pixel 3a eventually became unplayable due to odd connection issues. In one match, my character froze in a crouching position. The controller stopped responding, so I unplugged it from the Pixel 3a, then reconnected the cable. For whatever reason, this caused the entire game to reboot, costing me all of my progress.

I'm shocked, I tell you.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No lag is the most important part - they can still improve the service over the next couple months/years - but the base technology being the real deal is the important part.

Awesome.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Why oh why wasn't Stadia's current launch just called beta instead? They could've solved about half of their perception problems just by doing that.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Sounds like a step up at least from the previous big effort (OnLive). Progress is progress!