• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
This looks like the 1st UE5 game that will be released?

Fun. Graphics on it look insane

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
lol

gJIKRMP.png

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
Hm, I wonder how long has it been in the development then? Didn't UE5 only recently become available to the devs and even Coalition has just started experimenting with it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I wonder how long has it been in the development then? Didn't UE5 only recently become available to the devs and even Coalition has just started experimenting with it.
feels like UE5 is UE4.xx with a different name and new features big enough to warrant a new marketing name. so moving to UE5 probably wasn't too hard beyond the usual caveats with moving to a new engine version

I thought it was a custom engine ...
we knew it was on UE since its announcement, or there abouts

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
feels like UE5 is UE4.xx with a different name and new features big enough to warrant a new marketing name. so moving to UE5 probably wasn't too hard beyond the usual caveats with moving to a new engine version
Well, as far as I undestand UE5 introduced better lighting engine and also some features similar to Creation Engine regarding open worlds.

Feb 8, 2018
There are 2 current gen games that impress me or maybe few more and other titles are looking good but it's going to take a couple of years to see more that is impossible on last gen.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, as far as I undestand UE5 introduced better lighting engine and also some features similar to Creation Engine regarding open worlds.
yea, lumen and nanite are new, but you can still use the more "traditional" methods as well. those won't be depreciated. they'll probably make a video on the new level streaming stuff soon, like they did Nanite and Lumen

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I thought it was a custom engine ...
Back when first rumours about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 coming back were a thing in 2018, it was Epic's Sergey Galyonkin that first confirmed them, with "guess the engine!"

The original iteration of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 that was cancelled in... 2012, I think? when GSC folded was using the new version of the in-house XRay engine; however since that team scattered to the 4 winds (some went to 4A to work on Metro; the narrative director joined Farm 51 to make Chernobylite; part of the team became Vostok games and made "Fear the Wolves" battle royale and is still working on their MMO Survarium), the new hires that make up the new GSC were always likely to pick a more "standard" engine.

Nov 20, 2019
LOL? UE5 introduces a new rendering system Nanite and Lumen. Nanite is a new way of rendering geometry that allows infinite polygons....that's a BIG leap.

Nothing matches this currently...Ratchet and Clank comes close with 1 polygon per pixel.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL? UE5 introduces a new rendering system Nanite and Lumen. Nanite is a new way of rendering geometry that allows infinite polygons....that's a BIG leap.

Nothing matches this currently...Ratchet and Clank comes close with 1 polygon per pixel.

hence why I think they decided to call it UE5. I'm not sure what you're getting at here

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
So they ported their game to UE5. Obviously the game wasn't developed from the ground up with the features though. Will be interested to see which features they use.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Even the Coalition said that the Early Access build of UE5 was pretty much production ready. Studios like them and GSC will likely have access to advanced builds beyond the early access build of UE5 along with dedicated support.

Hopefully, this is a good sign that we'll see much faster UE5 adoption than UE4. I guess the big thing Epic stressed was forward compatibility and how easy it was to transition UE 4.2X projects to UE5.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So they ported their game to UE5. Obviously the game wasn't developed from the ground up with the features though. Will be interested to see which features they use.

Nanite is an absolute must use.
Looking at the screenshot they posted all those are static meshes so almost certainly Nanite.

Dont know whether they will use Lumen though, its still pretty heavy to use so maybe they will use a different GI solution.
They said they were aiming for 60fps my guess either low/mid RayTraced GI or a different solution.

P.S Porting projects from UE4.X to UE5 is relatively pain free.
The days of UDK to UE4 are thing of the past this generation.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Even the Coalition said that the Early Access build of UE5 was pretty much production ready. Studios like them and GSC will likely have access to advanced builds beyond the early access build of UE5 along with dedicated support.

Hopefully, this is a good sign that we'll see much faster UE5 adoption than UE4. I guess the big thing Epic stressed was forward compatibility and how easy it was to transition UE 4.2X projects to UE5.

Nearly 50% of announced nextgen games at the beginning of the year were Unreal Engine titles.
I think UE5 will be adopted super fast.

Till other engines get a Nanite-esc solution for Static Meshes I think alot of devs are going to be opting to use it.

Legit the whole new pipeline of keeping your Highpoly makes it a very attractive engine.
The old way of basically throwing away all the highpoly work you do seems so archaic and the engine isnt even at .0 level for the public yet.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
You know, there's a part of me that still looks at teh Stalker 2 E3 footage and goes "is this really gameplay????" and well, this explains a lot.

looks great, hope it delivers.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly 50% of announced nextgen games at the beginning of the year were Unreal Engine titles.
I think UE5 will be adopted super fast.

Till other engines get a Nanite-esc solution for Static Meshes I think alot of devs are going to be opting to use it.

Legit the whole new pipeline of keeping your Highpoly makes it a very attractive engine.
The old way of basically throwing away all the highpoly work you do seems so archaic and the engine isnt even at .0 level for the public yet.
nanite will be useful, but I don't think it will see too much use outside of select objects. making such high poly static assets requires time that you won't see much outside of AAA devs. and even then, do you need such a high poly asset?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
nanite will be useful, but I don't think it will see too much use outside of select objects. making such high poly static assets requires time that you won't see much outside of AAA devs. and even then, do you need such a high poly asset?

Even low poly objects benefit from Nanite.
So literally any and every static mesh might as well be Nanite powered.

LODs cost more than just loading the asset and letting Nanite handle it....regardless of polycount.

P.S Most games actually have pretty highpoly assets that get thrown away in exchange for lowpolys with normals.
Nanite eliminates the need for Normals at all.
Make your low, high, bake like 3 textures and put the highpoly in the engine.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Why is that obvious? Are you under the assumption developers only got access to UE5 when the public did with the alpha?

Because Stalker 2 has likely been indevelopment for 3-4 years minimum, and UE5 features such as Lumin and Nanite hadn't been released to devs when it was first shown on PS5 a year ago...Porting the game to UE5 doesn't mean that the game was actually developed with most of the UE5 features in mind. Having said that, I am sure teh game will benefit from it. It also has RT features, so interested to see which ones it has been built with.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Really gonna need a primer because this is an instant purchase if its as good as that trailer implies. STALKER is supposed to be brutal right?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
given they started with UE4, I doubt they bothered to try that. and I interpreted "end user" as the player. so I might have misinterpreted the post

Well, I assume they are switching engines to have some kind of advantage.
At the very least i'd imagine they'll want to convert all the existing static geometry to Nanite, which basically means the number of polygons in a scene doesn't affect performances. This is free performance gains for the end user.
GI would be amazing, but i am not sure how feasible it is to implement Lumen at this stage of development.
Unlike Nanite, it isn't free and i'd assume they already did lighting the traditional way for most of the game.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
given they started with UE4, I doubt they bothered to try that. and I interpreted "end user" as the player. so I might have misinterpreted the post
Nope, you're correct. I figured it benefits the devs with new/easier tools. But what are we (the players) getting out of it?

I don't suppose they rewrite their complete game-logic around the UE5 benefits. Way to late in development for that.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't suppose they rewrite their complete game-logic around the UE5 benefits. Way to late in development for that.
Technically, don't think there's a huge difference to making, iterating or optimizing game logic between UE4 and UE5 so on that front, I doubt there'd anyway be a huge difference.

As to the original question, the mileage will wary a ton so I don't think anyone can say for sure:
  • graphical fidelity may be better as there are base tools and techniques available that should make the game look better, but these might be not useable for the project, might not hit the performance budget needed or have issues preventing them from being used in production, so it could even result in time wasted
  • performance could be better if there's any underlying bottlenecks that would've been improved by the new engine, but it may also be "worse" (compared to what? no 1:1 comparison will ever exist and anything is theoretical when the game ships) as the team might push for new graphical effects, higher baseline costs for certain parts or simply tools that are not mature
  • stability could be better as the underlying code base has had improvements, but it could also take a turn for the worse as the new parts of the tech are not battletested
  • core game features could take advantage of any new workflows or features and result in cool things, but then the work to do those will have meant something else has gotten the axe etc.
So realistically no-one really can say for sure, even for the developers themselves until the game ships there's no real truth. And for us players a lot of it will be wait and see, but we will also never know what the alternative reality where the team would have stayed on UE4 would have meant. But I very much look forward to seeing what happens, and given that engine updates for production projects do not tend to be easy (not even between Unreal 4 versions) I would expect to see something cool come out of it that has made the team make the jump into Unreal 5.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play the original Stalker but I kind of scares me to start, as I know there are a billion mods and ways to play.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
I really want to play the original Stalker but I kind of scares me to start, as I know there are a billion mods and ways to play.
I personally played the original one without mods (at that time they did not exist yet) and of course in Russian as native russian speaker. Basically the only game I played in Russian.