• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone make a résumé of the changes they want to do to the flight model?
Honestly, I always though it sucked, ships felt like paper ships with no weight, so I'm glad they are looking to change it.
https://www.boredgamer.co.uk/2018/10/17/star-citizen-new-flight-mechanics-summary/

or you can watch these:

Oh and MistaTwo here are some (long) videos about the new flight model coming in 3.5.

They talked about it coming in 3.4 in the video, but Hurston taking longer caused some downstream changes in when they'd be able to bring some stuff into the game.

And sorry for all the notifications!

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone make a résumé of the changes they want to do to the flight model?
Honestly, I always though it sucked, ships felt like paper ships with no weight, so I'm glad they are looking to change it.

In short :
Really take into account the ship components for your performances.
Add more weight to most ships (especially the medium and above).
Add momentum (so need to counter thrust to stop for instance).
Taking into account main thrust over the rest, so human ships will be good in straight lines but "bad" at turning while alien ships would be better at turning and strafing (basically trying to make the Khartu-Al relevant in combat).
Taking into account air thickness for athmospheric flight so plane like ship would behave like planes and brick like ships would behave like bricks and consume much more fuel to stay in the air.
Augment the time to kill.

That's the gist of what i know about it.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
In short :
Taking into account main thrust over the rest, so human ships will be good in straight lines but "bad" at turning while alien ships would be better at turning and strafing (basically trying to make the Khartu-Al relevant in combat).
Taking into account air thickness for athmospheric flight so plane like ship would behave like planes and brick like ships would behave like bricks and consume much more fuel to stay in the air.

All these are GOOD! thanks!

Edit : It's funny after years of hearing SC fans shitting on Elite Dangerous flight model, they are doing something more and more similar.

Last edited:

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
All these are GOOD! thanks!

Edit : It's funny after years of hearing SC fans shitting on Elite Dangerous flight model, they are doing something more and more similar.
Err, the shitting on ED flight model that I've seen has been related to the fact that Elite arbitrarily restricts yaw speeds to promote a more "planes in space" flight model (which is countered by elite fans calling SC turrets in space). SC is just moving to a more sensible distribution of forces than it's current overpowered maneuvering thrusters, adding more realistic atmospheric handling, and a handful of other control tweaks. Not copying Elite's flight model at all. Hell, Elite doesn't even have atmospheric handling. And honestly, even now ships have tangible weight; you just need to get out of the fighters that are meant to be nimble. Fly a Reclaimer and tell me that doesn't have inertia.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I have watched the video. They have nerfed yaw on many ships already.

And Elite has atmospheric handling.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let's seriously not do this. There are 2 million backers and it's unfair to generalize them. There are people who don't like Elite's flight model, there are people who like it, and there are people who don't care about flight models at all (like myself). This thread isn't going to turn into Elite v Star Citizen.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of gameplay is available in the city? Or is it just basically walking around and looking at architecture at this point?

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Landed just right now for the first time on Hurston. The scale is crazy...
Just walking into a forest feels amazing. My poor little RX480 is having a hard time with all that vegetation tho :p

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of gameplay is available in the city? Or is it just basically walking around and looking at architecture at this point?
You can buy some armor/clothes, take a drink at a bar, etc but yeah there's nothing I would consider tangible or engaging gameplay in the city (or anywhere else in Star Citizen right now).

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Thought the descent part around 4h5m into the planet looked pretty cool. Maybe normal but I've never played SC so it's new to me!

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Let's seriously not do this. There are 2 million backers and it's unfair to generalize them. There are people who don't like Elite's flight model, there are people who like it, and there are people who don't care about flight models at all (like myself). This thread isn't going to turn into Elite v Star Citizen.

You are right!

Made a webm of the new Flight Model because I felt like it.

Great job! Love the sense of weight they added.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Tried it again and I'm loving the technology behind everything and it runs pretty good at 4K. I uninstalled after checking out Lorville though because everything about actually playing is still godawful, from the horrendous UI to bad flight mechanics. Will try again in 3.5.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
3.3.6 is great so far

squadron42-starcitizeghdhl.jpg

squadron42-starcitize1iemw.jpg

squadron42-starcitizec6f7f.jpg

squadron42-starcitizem8fcm.jpg

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Ok i've barely touched the game since the beginning and i think i will try it now just to see how this is coming together. What is the best way to experience the game controls wise , Hotas + KB or mouse KB ?

cyress8

Avenger
Ok i've barely touched the game since the beginning and i think i will try it now just to see how this is coming together. What is the best way to experience the game controls wise , Hotas + KB or mouse KB ?
I say you will need all of em. Flying feels great with my Thrustmaster 16000m, but I'm still fresh on actually using HOTAS. I can kill with it but the ttk is still higher than aiming with a mouse.

Also, mouse is still necessary when dealing with the MFDs. I can't ever seem to click anything on them while using the joystick.

Edit: Website down. People thirsty for that free fly.

Oct 25, 2017
In short :

To add to this the new flight experience is going to be a lot more dependent on the particular ship you are flying. Ship values are going to WYSIWYG in relation to that, like the Gladius being a better maneuvering fighter with larger MAV/Main ratio whereas the Hornet with its much larger main engine will be better suited for straight line acceleration. Reverse values will be also dependent of forward thruster size too, where something like the Saber or Vanguard with large reverse engines will be better equipped to arrest motion. Hovering and VTOL capabilities will also be dependent on on ship configuration, some ships being better equipped to hover wile other can only do so being flat, they said a Gladius nose down will not be able to maintain altitude in atmosphere.

The other big change is going to be the removal of the afterburner cruise present where it's going to be manual setting where you choose to throttle up into those speeds. The faster you are going the less maneuverability you will have, turning dogfights will occur in lower speeds. This will be an advantage for larger ship because they will not be depend on maneuvering whereas smaller ships will want to engage at lower speeds to utilize their maneuverability.

The last part will be the changes to gunnery and aiming which they haven't talked about yet but said is coming.

Right now it is still M&K, and to be honest until they make the changes to flight next spring I don't recommend playing much with the flight model besides going to point A and B.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest everyone to try the new Arrow if you don't like how rest of the game plays. It feels totally different from other small crafts, lots of momentum and drift as well as much stronger mains than mavs. First ship in a long time I really enjoy just flying around and feels like it has engines propelling it, no engaging in no clip mode.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest everyone to try the new Arrow if you don't like how rest of the game plays. It feels totally different from other small crafts, lots of momentum and drift as well as much stronger mains than mavs. First ship in a long time I really enjoy just flying around and feels like it has engines propelling it, no engaging in no clip mode.
Feels really weird in atmosphere though, it's a lot slower than I think it should be. In space it's great.

cyress8

Avenger
Hmm, might melt my Reclaimer until they fix the issue with not being able to get back in the damn thing when planetside. Now with the sale going on might be the best time to do it.

I love my big booty baby, but I need something I can reliably fly around the system.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, might melt my Reclaimer until they fix the issue with not being able to get back in the damn thing when planetside. Now with the sale going on might be the best time to do it.

I love my big booty baby, but I need something I can reliably fly around the system.
Yeah the Reclaimer is not a daily driver at all.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds good. Glad they finally have one you like!

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
btw is there a SC discord for ERA? i think its time to do some organized play with other members if there's a thing for it.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to land at Lorville 4 times yesterday and today, and every time I got close to the city [flying far above it, far from no fly zones] the game crashes. The closest I got is 100m hovering over my landing pad. And after relaunch of the client, I wake up at Olisar.

Not fun, since travel time from Olisar to Hurston is not quick.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I tried to land at Lorville 4 times yesterday and today, and every time I got close to the city [flying far above it, far from no fly zones] the game crashes. The closest I got is 100m hovering over my landing pad. And after relaunch of the client, I wake up at Olisar.

Not fun, since travel time from Olisar to Hurston is not quick.

That blows, I was having crashes on an earlier version but it was related to a memory leak. If you were able to land it wouldn't be as frustrating i'd imagine. How much RAM do you have and is the game on an SSD?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Logged in on this after a while, for some reason I have a drake cutlass in my hangar ingame? Did they give ships to try/rent or why is it there?

They gave the Cutlass to everyone for the freeflight event, so the people trying the game can have a ship to fly that doesn't take too long to go to Hurston from Olisar. I guess it was simpler to give to everyone included old backers than just giving it to the non-backing acocunts.

It will be removed when the freelight event is over.

I'm more interested to know why i have access to a Buccaneer when all the ships i own are flyable (350r, Caterpillar, Gladius, Dragonfly and Arrow). Not that i complain but it still seems weird.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
They gave the Cutlass to everyone for the freeflight event, so the people trying the game can have a ship to fly that doesn't take too long to go to Hurston from Olisar. I guess it was simpler to give to everyone included old backers than just giving it to the non-backing acocunts.

It will be removed when the freelight event is over.

I'm more interested to know why i have access to a Buccaneer when all the ships i own are flyable (350r, Caterpillar, Gladius, Dragonfly and Arrow). Not that i complain but it still seems weird.
Ahh thanks for this, was really confused about it. Back to flying my Origin i300.

Jun 1, 2018
Im a bit confused about shooting at other ships. How do I aim? There are 2 squars I can aim at and one of them is slightly differently rotated?!

VSgkfGB.jpg

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Im a bit confused about shooting at other ships. How do I aim? There are 2 squars I can aim at and one of them is slightly differently rotated?!

The arrow has two guns on a turret and two others that are fixed. So the square is showing you where the hits fired from your turret will hit and the losange where the fixed guns will.

Basically, the game show you the firing solution calculated from the distance and the velocity of the target relative to where you are. If all your guns where fixed or gimballed, you'd only have the square. But since you're on a ship that have two types of fixation, you get two indicators because the gimballed guns will be able to hit before the fixed ones that need the ship to actually point toward the target.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the Free Fly yesterday again and was mildly impressed by the performance, while I still got loading-freezes and stutters all over the place the framerate was actually pretty good though my upgrade from a 3570k to a 8600k since the last Free Flight probably helped too. Otherwise I've been trying to get to Lorville without reading up on it and while the UI frustrated me more often than not (the current Quantum Target needs a way more obvious highlight and the map needs a search function) it was quite the adventure to get there! I instinctively got the landing procedure and the "hole" in the security-zone right and landed in a hangar. It was a breathtaking experience coming from space and the sense of scale then driving away from the hangar by train was unbelievable.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The sound design is otherwordly. (The 39second one is just wonderful)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an in-universe explanation for quantum travel? I know they're trying to be more "hard" sci-fi, so I assume there is. Is it just warp?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an in-universe explanation for quantum travel? I know they're trying to be more "hard" sci-fi, so I assume there is. Is it just warp?
I don't think there is.
It makes use of Quantum Fuel (exotic matter we can assume), so maybe quantum engines "kinda" work like mass effect fields from Mass Effect if you're familiar with them. The engine creates a field around the ship, making it possible to accelerate from 300m/s to .2c without any dangers for the ship's structure or G-forces. Or maybe it is just a "light warp", don't know.

Quantum travel accelerates the ship very fast, while Jumps will be about going through stabalizing wormholes.

Gravity on ships and stations works in a "magic" way too, there is something called Gravitons, that goes around in pipes under the floor and "create" artificial gravity on each floor on an upwards direction. They will be a component in ships (if it hasn't been discarded) so that if you destroy the generator or the pipes, the gravity of the ship (or only on a specific part of the ship) gets compromised.

tldr: Space magic.

Maybe someone knows more than me about in-game lore.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

The Quantum Drive Engine is a starship engine created by Dr. Scott Childress and his team at RSI on May 3rd, 2075. When first used, it allowed travel at 1/100th the speed of light,reached 1/10th the speed of light in 2214, and has now advanced to allowing 1/5th the speed of light (0.2C)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...atch/12664-2075-The-Stars-Get-A-Little-Closer

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12676-2214-The-March-Of-Progress

Real reason

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/618968#Comment_618968
Chris Roberts said:
We will limit the top speed of ships you can fly for technical issues (physics engines have problems when the numbers get too big) and fun - figuring out an intercept course for an opponent traveling at 0.2 speed of light (which is our fictional max for practical spaceflight in 2943) maybe be challenging if you're a mathematician or physicist but not what I call fun gameplay.

And warp normally refers to things that travel faster than speed of light. Quantum does not.