• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on squadron 42 making its December date or not?

There is no december date for S42. They normally talk about and provide updates in December. They have not stated a specific month for release ever as far as I can recall.

lol

They're still overhauling the core gameplay at this point, would be surprised in S42 is ready next December

The work on Star Citizen isn't an indicator of their progress on S42. They are two different environments, with different limitations and restrictions.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
There is no december date for S42. They normally talk about and provide updates in December. They have not stated a specific month for release ever as far as I can recall.

The work on Star Citizen isn't an indicator of their progress on S42. They are two different environments, with different limitations and restrictions.

Oops sorry. I misread the op. It says a roadmap is planned to come out in December. I guess I didn't see the roadmap part. My mistake. I'll go back into hibernation

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And warp normally refers to things that travel faster than speed of light. Quantum does not.
eh, that technically isn't true but there's no sense in bogging down this thread with theoretical spaceflight discussion.

In any case, kind of a bummer that the quantum thing is just a hand wave. They could've just aped Star Trek.

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
eh, that technically isn't true but there's no sense in bogging down this thread with theoretical spaceflight discussion.

In any case, kind of a bummer that the quantum thing is just a hand wave. They could've just aped Star Trek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

A warp drive is a fictitious faster-than-light (FTL) spacecraft propulsion system in many science fiction works, most notably Star Trek. A spacecraft equipped with a warp drive may travel at speeds greater than that of light by many orders of magnitude.

Einstein's theory of special relativity states that energy and mass are interchangeable, and speed of light travel is impossible for material objects that weigh more than photons. The problem of a material object exceeding light speed is that an infinite amount of kinetic energy would be required to travel at exactly the speed of light. This can theoretically be solved by warping space to move an object instead of increasing the kinetic energy of the object to do so. Such a solution to the faster than light travel problem leads to two directly opposite approaches to light-speed travel in science fiction: in the first, spaceships themselves are brought to light speed and beyond; in the second, not-yet-local space itself is made to come to the ship while the ship moves at sub-light speeds.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_drive

Warp drive was a technology that allowed space travel at faster-than-light speeds. It worked by generating warp fields to form a subspace bubble that enveloped the starship, distorting the local spacetime continuum and moving the starship at velocities that could greatly exceed the speed of light. These velocities were referred to as warp factors.

https://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

A warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light. A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre; however, subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.

The entire point of warp drives was because of the concept of moving at the speed of light was impossible. But instant teleportation probably would give the game engine hell and many of the systems planned work around time during travel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested to know why i have access to a Buccaneer when all the ships i own are flyable (350r, Caterpillar, Gladius, Dragonfly and Arrow). Not that i complain but it still seems weird.
You get a Buccaneer because the Cat can't be used in Arena Commander competitive modes. It's just also allowed in the PU for some reason.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I gave you an out. Why do you insist?

From your own link:

Such a solution to the faster than light travel problem leads to two directly opposite approaches to light-speed travel in science fiction: in the first, spaceships themselves are brought to light speed and beyond; in the second, not-yet-local space itself is made to come to the ship while the ship moves at sub-light speeds.

The current theory of how this could work in real life is the Alcubierre warp drive which involves warping the space around the craft. The craft itself doesn't travel FTL. The spacetime around it is warped to the extent that the craft arrives at its destination faster than it could travel conventionally, since nothing can actually travel faster than light. That's the entire reason it's called "warp."

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I gave you an out. Why do you insist?

From your own link:

The current theory of how this could work in real life is the Alcubierre warp drive which involves warping the space around the craft. The craft itself doesn't travel FTL. The spacetime around it is warped to the extent that the craft arrives at its destination faster than it could travel conventionally, since nothing can actually travel faster than light. That's the entire reason it's called "warp."

You are just proving exactly what I stated. Warp Drives as a concept were created to solve the problem of ships not being able to move faster than light. In EVERY instance of warp drives the space is warped around the ship. The ship itself doesn't move at the speed of light in any fiction. The end result is that the ships reach their destination faster than the speed of light. You do realize you cemented what I said not challenged it right?

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He said technically you don't travel faster than the speed of light, and he's correct, because you don't in a warp drive. You're just contracting (warping) spacetime and getting to a place without traversing the full distance. You get there faster than you would by traveling the speed of light, but you're not technically traveling faster than light, because light in the warp bubble would always move faster than the ship.

but like molnizzle said, I totally agree with him that
there's no sense in bogging down this thread with theoretical spaceflight discussion.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are just proving exactly what I stated. Warp Drives as a concept were created to solve the problem of ships not being able to move faster than light. In EVERY instance of warp drives the space is warped around the ship. The ship itself doesn't move at the speed of light in any fiction. The end result is that the ships reach their destination faster than the speed of light. You do realize you cemented what I said not challenged it right?
You do realize that you initially stated that warp refers to things that "travel faster than the speed of light," to which I replied "eh, that technically isn't true," right?

Nice job on the pointless derail though.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I've finally been able to load up 3.3.6 and head over to Lorville! It was incredible jumping in a Cutlass Black and quantum jumping to Hurston. Seeing my ship pass by the "Sun" was jaw dropping. I managed land in the Lorville spaceport successfully. The city is incredible! I just wish there was more interactivity. Two bugs I noticed right off the bat; the bartender was glitched and stuck in position , I couldn't interact with him; the top level of the residence quarters had a consistent glitch in the geometry. I could consistently walk out of the map at the same point (pretty hilarious to see).

Question though, did everyone just temporarily get a Cutlass Black? I never bought the ship, but it was in my inventory I loaded up 3.3.6. Man, it's taking a lot of energy to not bite on purchasing an Anvil Arrow. The ship looks very cool. I know I don't need it though.

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
He said technically you don't travel faster than the speed of light, and he's correct, because you don't in a warp drive. You're just contracting (warping) spacetime and getting to a place without traversing the full distance. You get there faster than you would by traveling the speed of light, but you're not technically traveling faster than light, because light in the warp bubble would always move faster than the ship.

but like molnizzle said, I totally agree with him that

As I stated before

And warp normally refers to things that travel faster than speed of light. Quantum does not.

I didn't state the ships themselves move at the speed of light at any time. I wouldn't because the concept of warping space is why the tech has the word "Warp" in it. The term "Warp" regarding the tech indicates a form of FTL travel.
But if me not being specific enough allows for someone to feel better about themselves by being pedantic then I guess it is all for the greater good.

You do realize that you initially stated that warp refers to things that "travel faster than the speed of light," to which I replied "that technically isn't true," right?

Nice job on the pointless derail though.

Sure. That would have made sense except in no instance of warp does the ship itself move at the speed of light, so that should have been a given.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we now please stop debating the technicality of warp drives in a thread about a game where there is no warp drive brought on by a question someone had who said themselves that they don't want to discuss the technicality of warp drives and bog down the thread.

I've finally been able to load up 3.3.6 and head over to Lorville! It was incredible jumping in a Cutlass Black and quantum jumping to Hurston. Seeing my ship pass by the "Sun" was jaw dropping. I managed land in the Lorville spaceport successfully. The city is incredible! I just wish there was more interactivity. Two bugs I noticed right off the bat; the bartender was glitched and stuck in position , I couldn't interact with him; the top level of the residence quarters had a consistent glitch in the geometry. I could consistently walk out of the map at the same point (pretty hilarious to see).

Question though, did everyone just temporarily get a Cutlass Black? I never bought the ship, but it was in my inventory I loaded up 3.3.6. Man, it's taking a lot of energy to not bite on purchasing an Anvil Arrow. The ship looks very cool. I know I don't need it though.

Yeah there are some glitches with the geometry in places they obviously didn't intend for anyone to go to. It's nice to see more people than usual having a good time with SC and not encountering stupid bugs or crashes, although there are still people experiencing those unfortunately.

Yes, everyone got a Cutlass Black for the free-fly. I'm not getting the arrow either.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. That would have made sense except in no instance of warp does the ship itself move at the speed of light, so that should have been a given.
Indeed, that is exactly why I replied and corrected you when you said that warp normally refers to things that travel faster than the speed of light. Because warp doesn't refer to things that travel faster than the speed of light. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

You used incorrect phrasing to describe something (I assume) and I simply pointed that out and suggested we not bog down the thread with pointless discussion. So you decided to bog down the thread with pointless discussion. You should stop doing that.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Is there a way to significantly lower the mouse sensitivity for ships? I'm at stock settings and small mouse movements make the ship nearly spin out of control. It's extraordinarily annoying lol.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to significantly lower the mouse sensitivity for ships? I'm at stock settings and small mouse movements make the ship nearly spin out of control. It's extraordinarily annoying lol.
Options -> Controls for sensitivity slider and curves. Never messed with it so not sure how much it'll help.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Options -> Controls for sensitivity slider and curves. Never messed with it so not sure how much it'll help.

Thanks, I tried messing with the sliders but didn't notice a significant difference. They were already pretty low.

Anyway, do you guys think CIG will make the arcade machines and pool tables playable in Lorville in the future? Man, I just hope for much more granular level of interaction with the world. I hope areas like Lorville and Port Ollisar aren't just big hub areas for getting missions as the game progresses in the future. It would be cool to get CyberPunk 2077 levels of world interaction within the major hub areas.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
hey I'm at the convention center but there are no ships lol
It happens, and it is server wide.

You'll need to hop onto another server. The easiest way is probably forcing a connection to a different region.

Then you can get into the convention hall, rent all the ships and then go back to the automatically assigned server. Persistence is global, so you should have those ships available in your inventory.

Oct 25, 2017
It happens, and it is server wide.

You'll need to hop onto another server. The easiest way is probably forcing a connection to a different region.

Then you can get into the convention hall, rent all the ships and then go back to the automatically assigned server. Persistence is global, so you should have those ships available in your inventory.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I tried messing with the sliders but didn't notice a significant difference. They were already pretty low.

Anyway, do you guys think CIG will make the arcade machines and pool tables playable in Lorville in the future? Man, I just hope for much more granular level of interaction with the world. I hope areas like Lorville and Port Ollisar aren't just big hub areas for getting missions as the game progresses in the future. It would be cool to get CyberPunk 2077 levels of world interaction within the major hub areas.
Almost certainly. They're building out an interaction system (in fact the current interaction system should allow for much more than is currently being done) but it's obviously not been a priority the last few years. You can see the kind of granularity that we may eventually have one day here :

Back when ATVs were good :(

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
How likely is it that this ends up being a PS5 game (obviously impossible on PS4)?

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Human standing next to Idris landing gear!

DK2IRrw.png

Massive ship is massive.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
So I re-downloaded the game today and was giddy when I discovered they changed the design of the mustang. Then I traveled to Hurston, but somewhere along the way I got transported into a Blade Runner film.

Gameplay may not be there yet, but atmosphere is definitely 10/10.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Shy hasn't had access to multiple 600i's if he wanted to borrow one from org members.

Also, you're not too poor to own one Shy. You just don't want to give up your physical pack that has the Phoenix attached to it. =P

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if a new thread is warranted, but there's been an update on the CIG/RSI Vs. CryTek case. Apparently, it's been dismissed.

Leonard French has more. :)

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I will not press play on that video, I will not press play on that video.

*presses play*

*turns it off after 8 seconds*

Well, that lasted only 8 seconds for me... I'm getting better at this! :D

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here running on GTX 970? Wonder if I can play this without FPS drops on low/medium (I have the game, just don't want to install this huge thing just to see it runs as bad as before)?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So who's getting the Origin 890 Jump? That ship looks incredible! Anyway, it's hard to really get excited about 3.4. It looks like the object container streaming and procedual city rendering performance improvements might not make 3.4. 3.5 looks to be where most of my anticipation is right now.