• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
8rkpidm9lx421.jpg

Trying to decide if the holiday lights make it more or less threatening...

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting new chart from fav graph maker odysseus1992

XDU_MJghncOV5RhtqpJZO1ArEiNumGChzxozTsyNTJY.jpg

What I find interesting is the features they have at 50% or more and the targeted hiring for AI devs. How much faster can they get this done if the surpass hiring goals or targets?

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't properly logged in for nearly a year. Just checked out the Mustang redesign. Pretty fancy indeed. I am planning on upgrading to a 315p, but I'm almost tempted to keep the Mustang Beta.

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The Mustang Beta can now be bought in game for relatively cheap (~300k UEC IIRC) so not really useful to keep, but you might want to wait for 3.5 to buy since it has the new flight model and redesigned 300s

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Mustang Beta can now be bought in game for relatively cheap (~300k UEC IIRC) so not really useful to keep, but you might want to wait for 3.5 to buy since it has the new flight model and redesigned 300s
You make a good point. I've seen a few previews of the reworked 300 series, and they're looking pretty good. The 315p is also the best single crew explorer vessel apart from the terrapin, which is what's really drawing me to it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh boy, wanted to see if my new laptop can handle SC so I installed it and played it for the first time in like 2 years. After some running around and being surprised that a 3GB 1060GTX and 8GB of Ram actually get me like 30-50FPS depending on where I am and what I'm doing, I remembered that that coruscant thing is finally available. After almost 10 minutes of quantum flight, my engine almost dying on me (had to stop and let it cool off for a while) and using most of ly fuel tank, I finally made it there and holy shit is it beautiful.

I was almost mad about buying SC two years ago. Now I'm starting to think it might have been the best investment ever. This will be truly special once everything starts coming together.

So... how do I earn money in this ?

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Do missions (available from your mobiglas). If you don't have a Prospector, or a ship with decent cargo and seed money to buy goods to trade, it's pretty much the only way. Keep in mind that anything you earn isn't guaranteed to carry over to the next patch, or rather you should pretty much expect it not to.

If your goal is to buy another ship, then I'd suggest just borrowing what you're interested in from somebody else that bought the ship outright, as getting enough to buy any of the larger ships with in-game earned UEC will be a major undertaking. A major undertaking which when factored in with the whole persistence reset every quarterly patch will mean a lot of wasted effort.

If you have any interest in checking out ships that way, then feel free to get in touch in our Discord server. Between those of us who are active to semi-active there, there's at least one person who will own any given ship currently in the game. You're already part of the org, and the Discord info is available in a Spectrum post in the org's forum and in the org's Spectrum chat.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Ooooh boy, wanted to see if my new laptop can handle SC so I installed it and played it for the first time in like 2 years. After some running around and being surprised that a 3GB 1060GTX and 8GB of Ram actually get me like 30-50FPS depending on where I am and what I'm doing, I remembered that that coruscant thing is finally available. After almost 10 minutes of quantum flight, my engine almost dying on me (had to stop and let it cool off for a while) and using most of ly fuel tank, I finally made it there and holy shit is it beautiful.

I was almost mad about buying SC two years ago. Now I'm starting to think it might have been the best investment ever. This will be truly special once everything starts coming together.

Dammit. You're conflicting me. I've had this home built 970 based desktop available for 3 years and I was just now thinking about upgrading the GPU to a 1660ti...but if you're able to play SC on a laptop...I'm tempted to spend the extra 1k and get a good gaming laptop with 16GB of ram and a 1TB SSD.

I can't imagine playing SC for extended periods on a laptop though. I may just go for the 1660...

conflicted.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm guessing getting Vanduul player models into the game for the FPS bits won't happen until after SQ42, and a good time after that release as well. For some of those missions I'd love shooting AI Vanduul, but like the female avatars I'm sure it's going to take forever for those avatars to be in game.

Love what's been done so far though. My biggest complaint right now is persistence. If the PU had persistence I'd be playing every day right now even with the bugs and lack of content.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Love what's been done so far though. My biggest complaint right now is persistence. If the PU had persistence I'd be playing every day right now even with the bugs and lack of content.
They just announced at Citizencon last weekend that the upcoming 3.8 patch will include platform persistence, sort of a V0.1 of the full persistence planned later. If I understand correctly, this means no more wipes of our AUEC and the ships/weapons/other stuff we buy after each patch.
They did reserve the right to reset these if some issue comes up, so there's that :p

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit. You're conflicting me. I've had this home built 970 based desktop available for 3 years and I was just now thinking about upgrading the GPU to a 1660ti...but if you're able to play SC on a laptop...I'm tempted to spend the extra 1k and get a good gaming laptop with 16GB of ram and a 1TB SSD.

I can't imagine playing SC for extended periods on a laptop though. I may just go for the 1660...

conflicted.
Now if you wanna jump in, get something better than a 1060. It's barely 30fps.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the flight physics final? I'm not sure how to describe it correctly but ships feel a bit too light? The way they can instantly take off and how manouverable they are doesn't seem right. They feel like they don't have any mass if that makes sense.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Are the flight physics final? I'm not sure how to describe it correctly but ships feel a bit too light? The way they can instantly take off and how manouverable they are doesn't seem right. They feel like they don't have any mass if that makes sense.
Which ships did you fly? Have you tried the same ships in atmosphere?

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter which one. Take this clip for example (Amazing clip btw):

While it's a great clip, the way he instantly accelerates, reverses, adjusts his ship to line up the guy with the cargo door in a matter of seconds doesn't seem right to me.
Ok, now I understand what you mean :) I agree, but i also think in the long run it would be annoying to have slow acceleration on every move. The responsiveness is actually pretty nice in this case. But yeah, it looks strange.

---
Welcome to the eternal struggle of Star Citizen....
Have you tried new flight system? Because the issue he is talking about is not really affecting normal flying mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried new flight system? Because the issue he is talking about is not really affecting normal flying mechanics.

Yes, the new system started out well but was botched in Evo and accel speeds have been creeping up since. They still have infinite jerk of the thrusters making the movements far too twitchy paired with the still overpowering of thrusters. For example for it to feel decent I usually go to about 40% on speed limiter with around 34-55% acceleration. Not to mention their new landing assist continues the classic CIG parable of adding new systems instead of fixing underlying problems.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter which one. Take this clip for example (Amazing clip btw):

That isn't even remotely true. Small to midsize ships fell this way because of the power of thrusters, but the math in the universe is constant and not arbitrary. So if you take out a 600i, Reclaimer or 890j, and try to fly around and roll, you will without a doubt feel the mass of the ship both when trying to leave atmosphere and also when trying to slow down/alter course in space.

Yes, the new system started out well but was botched in Evo and accel speeds have been creeping up since. They still have infinite jerk of the thrusters making the movements far too twitchy paired with the still overpowering of thrusters. For example for it to feel decent I usually go to about 40% on speed limiter with around 34-55% acceleration. Not to mention their new landing assist continues the classic CIG parable of adding new systems instead of fixing underlying problems.

Lol, you are still on this. The thrusters are not overpowered. It is 900 years in the future and the thrusters can power over 10+ meters per second even on the weakest grade. The hovering effect is correct because the thrusters are that powerful. What they are planning on adjusting is having the thrusters overheat in atmosphere depending on mass and direction of ships center mass but the constant idea of the thrusters not being powerful is ignoring the speed of acceleration the the main thrusters can accelerate and the speeds in which we dogfight in the game. Since they aren't faking it, making the the thrusters weaker (for no real reason imo) would simply destroy any sense of maneuverability when dogfighting in this game. And as you can figure out there is a slider you can adjust for thruster speed. So you can always change it if you don't like strength at 100%. And Star Citizen has always had ICFS, proximity assist is just another aspect to it. As opposed to hover mode which I am thankful they removed.

EDIT: To make this perfectly clear, the ships thrusters are actually so powerful ICFS is there so you don't red out by accident. And that is CiG being nice about the effect it would have on your body because most like they are powerful enough to kill the pilot and passengers.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, you are still on this. The thrusters are not overpowered. It is 900 years in the future and the thrusters can power over 10+ meters per second even on the weakest grade. The hovering effect is correct because the thrusters are that powerful. What they are planning on adjusting is having the thrusters overheat in atmosphere depending on mass and direction of ships center mass but the constant idea of the thrusters not being powerful is ignoring the speed of acceleration the the main thrusters can accelerate and the speeds in which we dogfight in the game. Since they aren't faking it, making the the thrusters weaker (for no real reason imo) would simply destroy any sense of maneuverability when dogfighting in this game. And as you can figure out there is a slider you can adjust for thruster speed. So you can always change it if you don't like strength at 100%. And Star Citizen has always had ICFS, proximity assist is just another aspect to it. As opposed to hover mode which I am thankful they removed.

EDIT: To make this perfectly clear, the ships thrusters are actually so powerful ICFS is there so you don't red out by accident. And that is CiG being nice about the effect it would have on your body because most like they are powerful enough to kill the pilot and passengers.

"900 years in the future" has always been a silly argument, if there was any sembalnce of a trying to accurately portray future tech we'd have a game where humans wouldn't pilot and they'd be launching FTL depth charges from light-years away. That isn't something SC is trying to be. It was supposed to emulate older WC games, which throws back to more SWs style dog-fighting, but also hinges on whatever media Chris Roberts is consuming right now.

The thrusters being hilariously overpowered is first and foremost a gameplay problem, a problem that is breaking other systems and continues to make the core gameplay, flight, the least enjoyable aspect. The acceleration speeds coupled with infinite jerk (with a healthy dose of way too fast projectile speeds) is what causes pips to not be accurate, hit rates to off and servers to not be able to handle the predictive calculations for smooth gameplay. The rate which ships move is faster than what the servers can handle also casuing turrets to still be completely broken.

The turrets being broken is something that every other game has gotten right, but CIG hasn't been able to fix. Instead of addressing the root cause they try to add layer and layer of assists and systems that ultimately fail because ship acceleration and ability to change direction defeats whatever efforts they put in.

Lowering acceleration rates does not damage maneuverability or break down dog-fighting like you suggest, we have examples in about every other space game and more recently Infinity: Battelscape which not only plays great but has that cinematic look that CIG cannot replicate with the current ship values. I:B still has tight fighter duels that scale up to large cap ship clashes. SC's ship combat is still largely broken becasue of the underlying ship values being poor.

The new proximity assist being added to emulate fine control missing due to accel values is another parable in what I'm talking about. Instead of working on the ship dynamics to make sure pilots can land in a manner that looks good, or have the proper control to have successful low level flight they make a new system that fakes that aspect of piloting.

This is exactly my point. The values are so ridiculous that the G-forces shown should not only kill the people inside but also start sheering off parts of the ship or breaking internals. It underlines how completely broken the ship values are why it stands in the way of getting good core gameplay from SC.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
"900 years in the future" has always been a silly argument, if there was any sembalnce of a trying to accurately portray future tech we'd have a game where humans wouldn't pilot and they'd be launching FTL depth charges from light-years away. That isn't something SC is trying to be. It was supposed to emulate older WC games, which throws back to more SWs style dog-fighting, but also hinges on whatever media Chris Roberts is consuming right now.

I use that example not as a description of warfare because you are right, I also don't believe we would be dogfighting in the future at all, but more about advancement of tech and power in that time period. Chris Roberts never stated he was going to emulate the mechanics behind Wing Commander/privateer/freelancer he said the single player would have the style of Wing commander.

Quotes from kickstarter "Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode " and "Chris Roberts has always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. "

The thrusters being hilariously overpowered is first and foremost a gameplay problem, a problem that is breaking other systems and continues to make the core gameplay, flight, the least enjoyable aspect. The acceleration speeds coupled with infinite jerk (with a healthy dose of way too fast projectile speeds) is what causes pips to not be accurate, hit rates to off and servers to not be able to handle the predictive calculations for smooth gameplay. The rate which ships move is faster than what the servers can handle also casuing turrets to still be completely broken.

The turrets being broken is something that every other game has gotten right, but CIG hasn't been able to fix. Instead of addressing the root cause they try to add layer and layer of assists and systems that ultimately fail because ship acceleration and ability to change direction defeats whatever efforts they put in.

The systems are not fully complete which is one point of contention but it is really subjective that flight is horrid for people. As a matter of fact, it was only hover mode that brought a huge reaction from the community. And when you see videos like this....

The thing is that if flight was as broken as you state then more players and streamers would talk about it. This is not a silent community so despite different control schematic between KBM, joysticks and controllers if people felt it was broken as a whole this would be a large issue within community. I still don't even know what you mean exactly by infinite jerk.

But projectile speed being to fast and pips not being accurate is probably down to a broken ship you are flying. As I have been bounty hunting in multiple flyable ships in this event, small to large, ballistic and lasers and I have been destroying targets with no issue. The only complaint I heard from a fellow org member is actually doubt about the scattergun working properly. So I am curious, have you played recently and if you have what ships and ammo type are you having an issue with?

Lowering acceleration rates does not damage maneuverability or break down dog-fighting like you suggest, we have examples in about every other space game and more recently Infinity: Battelscape which not only plays great but has that cinematic look that CIG cannot replicate with the current ship values. I:B still has tight fighter duels that scale up to large cap ship clashes. SC's ship combat is still largely broken becasue of the underlying ship values being poor.

The new proximity assist being added to emulate fine control missing due to accel values is another parable in what I'm talking about. Instead of working on the ship dynamics to make sure pilots can land in a manner that looks good, or have the proper control to have successful low level flight they make a new system that fakes that aspect of piloting.

To be honest I don't like comparing games to each other because of the way they are built, the requirements are very different from each other. But from what I gather (as I have not played I:B myself) you never get out your ship. Given the nature of what they are going for in SC, drawing direct comparison between many first person shooters or games where gamer is literally the ship POV at all times, doesn't work. But again, I have found very few people that dislike so much about flight and combat as you do. Keep in mind since those aspects have changed from patch to patch I am not saying they always felt perfect but in 3.7 build I really haven't had any issues.

This is exactly my point. The values are so ridiculous that the G-forces shown should not only kill the people inside but also start sheering off parts of the ship or breaking internals. It underlines how completely broken the ship values are why it stands in the way of getting good core gameplay from SC.

First of all the some of the metals and alloys ships are built of don't even exist yet so the idea that the ships would break is just a fabrication. And for us to be even a competent space faring species these speeds are perfectly logical. And none of this stands in the way of gameplay, and this is not the final version. Given how the values have been the same since the earlier 2.6 days and how drastically the gameplay has changed over the entries, that opinion of yours is already dashed by years of version updates.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Downloading the game atm, i´m hovering over the purchase button of the ANVIL C8X is it a good ship to start the game?

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading the game atm, i´m hovering over the purchase button of the ANVIL C8X is it a good ship to start the game?

Technically it is a snub. It is not going to be good in a fight but it enables you to do delivery mission and gets you from one point to another. The deal that is ->here<- not only gives you access to SC but also S42. If you do not care for S42 the cheaper package gets you into SC. Talking with the org, I am sure you can not only find people to play with but also most of the ships you want to try out someone might have, which means you won't have to rent ship in-game.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's one really good thing about it: life time insurance. You can upgrade it later to a better ship (we could show you some in the Org) and that will get life time insurance as well.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
There's one really good thing about it: life time insurance. You can upgrade it later to a better ship (we could show you some in the Org) and that will get life time insurance as well.
I don´t get this upgrade later and also getting life time insurance thingy. Sorry i don´t know anything about the game just that it looks like a cool space sim.
Technically it is a snub. It is not going to be good in a fight but it enables you to do delivery mission and gets you from one point to another. The deal that is ->here<- not only gives you access to SC but also S42. If you do not care for S42 the cheaper package gets you into SC. Talking with the org, I am sure you can not only find people to play with but also most of the ships you want to try out someone might have, which means you won't have to rent ship in-game.
I looked into the other bundle yup but i will buy S42 later, not to sound to stupid but ahm whats a Snub?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don´t get this upgrade later and also getting life time insurance thingy. Sorry i don´t know anything about the game just that it looks like a cool space sim.

I looked into the other bundle yup but i will buy S42 later, not to sound to stupid but ahm whats a Snub?
Basically in the pledge store you can upgrade one of your existing ships. Say you got a mustang alpha with 3 months insurance and want a avenger titan, you'll pay like 5 buck (I don't know the exact price, but its price of the new ship - price of the old ship) and the 3 months insurance carry over.
Now if you got a ship with 10 year insurance, the 10 years would carry over to the new ship, etc...
The pisces should still come with life time insurance, so thats one ship for wouldn't need to take care of in regards of insurance FOREVER. That's best applied to something you would consider your main ship.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Basically in the pledge store you can upgrade one of your existing ships. Say you got a mustang alpha with 3 months insurance and want a avenger titan, you'll pay like 5 buck (I don't know the exact price, but its price of the new ship - price of the old ship) and the 3 months insurance carry over.
Now if you got a ship with 10 year insurance, the 10 years would carry over to the new ship, etc...
The pisces should still come with life time insurance, so thats one ship for wouldn't need to take care of in regards of insurance FOREVER. That's best applied to something you would consider your main ship.
Oh, ok this sounds great, thanks

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
not to sound to stupid but ahm whats a Snub?

A snub is small short range ship meant to be used from a bigger vessel. The Pisces is kind of an outlier as it can Quantum travel, but usually, snubs are like shuttles or small escort crafts that should only be used in conjonction with a mothership.

The Pisces was initially pitched as the snub of the Carrack, aka, something that isn't supposed to be used without the Carrack. But now that it is available and that it has a Quantum Drive ? Not sure it's really a snub anymore.

All in all, it's a nice little starter ship, fun to fly, super small, can do some cargo, can get you anywhere in the system if you don't care sitting in Quantum for too long. It's just extremely fragile and not really meant to fight anything.