• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
qpQ33yZ.gif

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reststop_00.jpg

In Progress Space Station / Rest Stop

DE_VFX_01.jpg

DE_VFX_02.jpg

Gas Clouds

qQ5sy56.jpg

Oh, and a new ship!

Make versatility a reality with the 2948 Vulcan from Aegis Dynamics. A support ship redefining the three R's to mean -- Refuel. Repair. Rearm.

Refuel stranded ships or top off those running dangerously low. Focused design from famed AEGIS engineer Parnell Rowan means the Vulcan is ready to work for you. Whether on a refueling run or hauling supplies in the rear cargo hold, the word that might best embody the Vulcan is resourceful.

Repair damaged ships without risking a spacewalk. The Vulcan comes standard with BARD drones and support stations to oversee repairs. Built in drone launchers makes their deployment possible even under stressful situations. Another tool on the Vulcan's versatile utility belt.

Rearm others when needed most. Balancing fire power and protection, the Vulcan holds its own in a scrap. Countless UEE Navy pilots can attest to its capabilities, as the ship has been a battlefield staple for centuries.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Personally I don't think it will be. They've already said they will not be attending Gamescom this year, so I doubt an E3 appearance is in the cards.
Would be a great surprise, but I think we'll be seeing more of SQ42 around Citizencon this year, as well as in the monthly updates.

*Edit* Btw, 3.1 is now in the first phase of PTU after Evocati testing. Still a lot of work to be done, but it looks like CIG might actually make a deadline for a change! Let's hope this bodes well for the other planned patches that are releasing this year.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows, but it's very unlikely to happen until they're satisfied with the server and client stability at least. Not much good would come from opening the flood gates to the PU right now.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
March Monthly Report

Roadmap in Visual Form (note, that while Mining features seem to be removed, they were confirmed to just be consolidated under one Mining task)

qP9jKry.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, I truly hope CIG doesn't run into any roadblocks for this timeline. Seeing procedural cities, true server meshing, parallel jobs, and object container streaming by the end of this years seems too good to be true.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
question from my understanding , all credits earned in game can be used for equipment to a max of 150K , those credits will transfer over to the main game, you cannot buy ships with those credits though , that will be a different currency , is that correct? ( sorry haven't bought the game yet but I'm keeping tabs) Also anyone running a 1080 , 8500K with 16GB ? how does it preform ?

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
question from my understanding , all credits earned in game can be used for equipment to a max of 150K , those credits will transfer over to the main game, you cannot buy ships with those credits though , that will be a different currency , is that correct? ( sorry haven't bought the game yet but I'm keeping tabs)
I think you're confusing a few things. The current 150k cap is for UEC - something that can only be obtained by direct conversion of real world money. UEC is currently only usable in the website based Voyager Direct store for weapons and such, though it will eventually be usable in the final game as the standard currency. The alpha persistent universe uses aUEC (alpha UEC) to buy things in game, and that can only be obtained via in game tasks. That said, there's no way to currently buy ships with aUEC. Even if you could, you'd be hard pressed to gain enough to do so since the accounts are regularly reset between patches. Persistence in the "persistent universe" is still in its early stages to say the least.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe. Unbalanced, delayed, buggy, whatever, SC is the only way forward.

Most publishers have no interest funding anything like this, indies incapable of building this and Microsoft has failed so many people with a fetching simulator... I just need to be hopeful because the alternative is a void.

3.2 or 3.3 is my time to jump in again. I should have replaced my 770 by then.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
I think you're confusing a few things. The current 150k cap is for UEC - something that can only be obtained by direct conversion of real world money. UEC is currently only usable in the website based Voyager Direct store for weapons and such, though it will eventually be usable in the final game as the standard currency. The alpha persistent universe uses aUEC (alpha UEC) to buy things in game, and that can only be obtained via in game tasks. That said, there's no way to currently buy ships with aUEC. Even if you could, you'd be hard pressed to gain enough to do so since the accounts are regularly reset between patches. Persistence in the "persistent universe" is still in its early stages to say the least.

Perfect , thanks for the info , I googled my question and was brought to the UEC explanation on the RSI website.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
question from my understanding , all credits earned in game can be used for equipment to a max of 150K , those credits will transfer over to the main game, you cannot buy ships with those credits though , that will be a different currency , is that correct? ( sorry haven't bought the game yet but I'm keeping tabs) Also anyone running a 1080 , 8500K with 16GB ? how does it preform ?
Performance is still a bit all over the place, whenever they get Object Container Streaming in, then it will be a much better barometer of how your build will actually perform long term.

But you should still be getting a good framerate with that build regardless.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that I am the sole person responsible for CIG deciding to turn the 600i into the best looking ship in the game.

#NoReason4Struts

Last edited:

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Origin starter ship announced;

Gcpy3Cw.png

100i - Base (exploration 2SCU)

125A - Combat Spec (2SCU, 2missiles, can equip military hardware)

135C - Cargo (2SCU +4SCU external)

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Update to this: April 13th (tomorrow) through the 16th there will be a free fly event.
Do we have a new thread with this info? I have not seen one.

----

Ok CIG, you need to convert all lights to Area Lights, i cannot look at those speculars anymore, i'm spoiled. Optimize Area Lights even more and just convert everything please!
It looks so bad now ;/

Seriously i'm spoiled ;p, i watched today video about new God of War, even though game looks amazing!, all i could see is the rendering flaws of the game, crappy reflections, low res particles, low res volumetrics, distant particles updating in 10fps etc ;p I'm spoiled ;/ This year GDC and its focus on ray-tracing did not help...

Last edited:

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a new thread with this info? I have not seen one.

----

Ok CIG, you need to convert all lights to Area Lights, i cannot look at those speculars anymore, i'm spoiled. Optimize Area Lights even more and just convert everything please!
It looks so bad now ;/

Seriously i'm spoiled ;p, i watched today video about new God of War, even though game looks amazing!, all i could see is the rendering flaws of the game, crappy reflections, low res particles, low res volumetrics, distant particles updating in 10fps etc ;p I'm spoiled ;/ This year GDC and its focus on ray-tracing did not help...

You should make the thread and see how it turns out.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arrakis - you're probably interested in this:

Today through the 16th there will be a free fly event, anyone can download the game and try it out.

Link here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/April-Free-Fly-Event

The ships available during the Free Fly promotion will be:
  • Aurora MR
  • Mustang Alpha
  • Cutlass Black
  • Tumbril Cyclone

With the access code below, you'll be able to explore the Star Citizen Universe in a number of ships and vehicles: Get into the fight with the Mustang, enjoy the versatility of the trusty Aurora MR, haul freight like a pro (or steal it like a pirate) with the Cutlass Black, and tear it up planetside in the newly released Cyclone.

The code will also grant you access to Arena Commander, where you can hone your dogfighting skills, and Star Marine, where you can engage in intense FPS action. Simply follow the steps outlined below, and we'll see you in the 'verse.

PROMOCODE: GETINTOTHEVERSE

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I've been out of the loop for a while and haven't watched every single show for a good while now so I have a couple technical questions if someone could kindly indulge me :

- Has anything new been said about the ongoing work on Item 2.0? The last I remember is that most ships have some level of implementation with little gameplay mechanics built on top as of yet.
- I don't remember hearing any specifics about heat or power and the latest news I know of regarding the FM is that JP is still engineering it and trying for an impulse-based and heat-limited approach.
- Have we had any word on the GI solution they are working toward?
- Object contrainer streaming, last I heard was in february of last year with Erin saying they were working on the scheduling logic for streaming in various components in the correct order. He seemed to imply most of the underlying engineering work on the engine side was done.

I am wondering about a lot more but those are some of the most important things I'm trying to follow and I feel most devs that used to post on reddit/spectrum have dropped below the radar.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of the loop for a while and haven't watched every single show for a good while now so I have a couple technical questions if someone could kindly indulge me :

- Has anything new been said about the ongoing work on Item 2.0? The last I remember is that most ships have some level of implementation with little gameplay mechanics built on top as of yet.
- I don't remember hearing any specifics about heat or power and the latest news I know of regarding the FM is that JP is still engineering it and trying for an impulse-based and heat-limited approach.
- Object contrainer streaming, last I heard was in february of last year with Erin saying they were working on the scheduling logic for streaming in various components in the correct order. He seemed to imply most of the underlying engineering work on the engine side was done.

I am wondering about a lot more but those are some of the most important things I'm trying to follow and I feel most devs that used to post on reddit/spectrum have dropped below the radar.
Item 2.0 is mostly in place, but they are still converting some stuff to it from parts of ships and some props.
I am wondering about a lot more but those are some of the most important things I'm trying to follow and I feel most
They havent talked about GI yet, since the Citizencon.
Object container streaming is still being implemented as it is implemented in phases, some things are already converted and some are still ongoing.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Heat and power are generally the same plans as usual, essentially you won't be able to run shields, engine, and weapons at 100% power all at the time without significant overclocks, the more power you pull, the more heat is generated, the more likely a chance of a failure based on how long you're running your components hot. Wear and tear is associated with this, so if you're flying and you have someone replacing sub-components in your power plants, cooler, shield generator that are starting to wear down and may fail, you'll have more consistent performance in being able to push the most out of your ship than just someone who flies a multi-person ship solo. I imagine that these sub components will cost money, so it's not an incentive to keep wearing down and replacing parts all the time unless there is enough reward to justify the risks. It'll essentially work as, the more you push a certain component, the sub components wear down, if the sub components begin wearing down there is a higher chance of local failure (weapons have a higher chance of stopping it's shooting randomly), when they completely wear out, the component itself won't work so you'll not be able to shoot at all, then if components are finally being destroyed they can cause a chain reaction that blows up the ship.

Power allocation is generally a compromise between system performance and heat. Full damage output can only be achieved at the cost of shield health and maneuverability, etc. Shield damage mitigation is directly related to shield face health, so strong power and shield management can have very potent effect on combat. This is available to single seaters, but the level of attention it can require means that multi-crew is where you'll see the most benefit from this.

This answers 1 and 2, since this is item 2.0. Item 2.0 is obviously a game-wide system, so whether everything is converted to Item 2.0 is hard to say. but they are always working on bringing the legacy code and systems to the newer more efficient ones, so I imagine it's constantly being worked on. Some gameplay mechanics, as of today ~ this may change, are scheduled to come in 3.2 (end of June) with this described wear and tear;

Item 2.0 Ship Systems & Weapons - Power Allocation:
"Functionality for ship components, allowing for weapons to overheat, misfire, and suffer critical failures based on factors like wear or damage, as well as the ability to configure shield generators, power plants, weapons, and other systems to meaningfully affect ship performance."

Object Container Streaming is scheduled to come in 3.3, which is the end of September, with Hurston and it's moons. I imagine we won't be seeing any new locations without OCS, so it's something that is a massive priority.

As for GI, GI is a broad category, but I'll quote Ben Parry:

"SC's global illumination is somewhat behind the state of the art here, we have fairly sparse specular and diffuse probes which are mostly baked offline, this means you don't get the same richness of subtle bounces around objects, but even newer systems tend to have to "cheat" (eg with ambient occlusion) to add in fine detail, since the memory and performance cost to store that fine detail would be absurd."

You can follow the new roadmap here; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Last edited:

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Heat and power are generally the same plans as usual, essentially you won't be able to run shields, engine, and weapons at 100% power all at the time without significant overclocks, the more power you pull, the more heat is generated, the more likely a chance of a failure based on how long you're running your components hot. Wear and tear is associated with this, so if you're flying and you have someone replacing sub-components in your power plants, cooler, shield generator that are starting to wear down and may fail, you'll have more consistent performance in being able to push the most out of your ship than just someone who flies a multi-person ship solo. I imagine that these sub components will cost money, so it's not an incentive to keep wearing down and replacing parts all the time unless there is enough reward to justify the risks. It'll essentially work as, the more you push a certain component, the sub components wear down, if the sub components begin wearing down there is a higher chance of local failure (weapons have a higher chance of stopping it's shooting randomly), when they completely wear out, the component itself won't work so you'll not be able to shoot at all, then if components are finally being destroyed they can cause a chain reaction that blows up the ship.

Power allocation is generally a compromise between system performance and heat. Full damage output can only be achieved at the cost of shield health and maneuverability, etc. Shield damage mitigation is directly related to shield face health, so strong power and shield management can have very potent effect on combat. This is available to single seaters, but the level of attention it can require means that multi-crew is where you'll see the most benefit from this.

This answers 1 and 2, since this is item 2.0. Item 2.0 is obviously a game-wide system, so whether everything is converted to Item 2.0 is hard to say. but they are always working on bringing the legacy code and systems to the newer more efficient ones, so I imagine it's constantly being worked on. Some gameplay mechanics, as of today ~ this may change, are scheduled to come in 3.2 (end of June) with this described wear and tear;

Item 2.0 Ship Systems & Weapons - Power Allocation:
"Functionality for ship components, allowing for weapons to overheat, misfire, and suffer critical failures based on factors like wear or damage, as well as the ability to configure shield generators, power plants, weapons, and other systems to meaningfully affect ship performance."

Object Container Streaming is scheduled to come in 3.3, which is the end of September, with Hurston and it's moons. I imagine we won't be seeing any new locations without OCS, so it's something that is a massive priority.

As for GI, GI is a broad category, but I'll quote Ben Parry:

"SC's global illumination is somewhat behind the state of the art here, we have fairly sparse specular and diffuse probes which are mostly baked offline, this means you don't get the same richness of subtle bounces around objects, but even newer systems tend to have to "cheat" (eg with ambient occlusion) to add in fine detail, since the memory and performance cost to store that fine detail would be absurd."

You can follow the new roadmap here; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen
On Heat and Power : so nothing really new but that's a really nice summary, I may steal part of this in the future :p. My personal hope for h/p is for them to act as a resource that is very dynamic during combat, on the scale of seconds depending on whatever scale, shape and range it may happen at. The impulse-based approach to the FM certainly points to this direction but the IFCS and overall ship systems (and audio, and networking, and physics, and...) have been terribly hindered by the ongoing development of the wider ECS alteration the engine, one aspect of which is Item 2.0. I'm going to take a look at the roadmap, thanks a lot for the link and the power allocation item actually answers my question nicely as to where they are at.

Object-container streaming for 3.3 : that's huge news! I'm very happy about this one, especially since it means they got it working in a networked environment.

On GI : it is indeed a broad problem with more ways to tackle it than I can count which is why I'm so interested in what CIG comes up with with their insane combination of scale, ships interiors and rendering architecture. I can only imagine a local solution for diffuse bounces not unlike CE5's and what they did for the volumetric medias.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer :).

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The free weekend got me hyped, i was sceptical for years but I bought the starter pack and upgraded to an aurora mx! Is the interface of the Aurora somewhere explained?

Last edited:

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The free weekend got me hyped, i was sceptical for years but I bought the starter pack and upgraded to an aurora mx! Is the interface of the Aurora somewhere explained?

The MFD screens in most ships are pretty much identical in function, so the Aurora should be no different from other ships. If you hold the F-key to go into focus mode, you can use the mouse to interact with the screens.
If you just want to get off the ground quickly, look for a button to light up in focus mode saying 'flight ready', that'll get you airborne quick.
I'll see if I can find you a starter guide and edit it in here.

*edit
Boredgamer does pretty in depth guides i think. Havent watched the whole thing tbh, but it should get you up and running.

Also, if you hit the F12 key, you'll be able to see chat and ask folks ingame for help. Usually folks are pretty helpful, so that should get you started.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
Played for a few hours (kids) definitely a pretty game. Alot of hiccups on station though. My criminal rating got raised when I landed on a platform for some reason ( I'm assuming because I wasn't given clearance). Played star marine, it was alright but we had two players on team that afk'd in the starting area and we got whipped. Played entirely solo , I assume it's more fun with a group lol. Will keep my eye on development , the hiccups bothered me.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since these are probably going to be coming online in the next few patches, I've decided to write something up that summarizes what we know about a few mechanics coming soon to Star Citizen.

Before we begin; Star Citizen is not a RPG, you don't have skill-points or classes, you can be a miner one day and scientist the next. "There is no artificial concept of a character having to select a specific profession or character progression based upon gradually incrementing numeric attributes. The only thing that dictates your success or failure at a given endeavor are the actual capabilities of you and your companions and the equipment you bring to bear." This also won't have typical MMO mechanics; "There are no aspects [..] that allow a player to simply press a button and wait without concern for a result, or that require players to perform an action repeatedly without some element of thought and/or dexterity coming into play."

We'll start with what we know about the gameplay and mechanics behind Mining so far.

As a miner, you have two options, freelance or work on a contract. As a freelancer, you'll be able to mine whatever ores you'd like and unload them at whatever port that accepts them. While this has the most potential, it leaves you at risk to the ireggularites of the trading market. Working under a contract, you have less risk, but the fixed price means you'll be working on a discount. Failing to meet the requirements of a contract will result in your reputation being harmed.

There will be well known sites that hold abundant common ores. The most valuable ores will be those that are hard to find, meaning that to find the most profit, you'll either have to look for them yourself or pay for information that was picked up by explorers or information brokers. It's important to act on this information quickly, if a valuable new field is made known to the public, prices of these valuable ores will crash following a large increase in volume.

The most valuable ore will reside in dense fields, meaning the most experienced pilots who can navigate through these fields without damaging their ship will be required. Many asteroids are filled with dangerous materials that, under the right conditions, can blow the asteroid to pieces, increasing the value of a good pilot that can quickly navigate a ship to a safe distance.

Finding out the contents of a specific rock (the ores/minerals/contents inside them) are done by the scanning operator. Telemetry data is sent back to the ship and informs them of the precise material composition. The scan operator must scan for suitable insertion posts for remote material anaylsis packages to inject into. The confidence of the scan operator plays a significant role.

Mining is done from a beam, the beam injects energy into the deposit and agitates particles inside to extract only the materials that you deem worthy of collecting.

The more energy you put into the deposit, the more of a risk that it blows up, or cause a chain reaction where it can damage your ship. If you do not put enough energy, you cannot collect anything from it, or only non-valuable minerals. It's important to have a skilled beam operator to keep your beam's energy output optimal to increase efficiency, without risking damaging the ship. Based on the elements inside the rock, you may have to keep adjusting your energy output. Every minable material has its own unique set of parameters dictating how much energy a given quantity can absorb, how quickly it can dissipate energy, how easily it can transfer excess energy to surrounding materials, its probability of fragmentation as energy levels reach critical levels, and numerous other things.

The mining beam is equipped with a high-energy scanning probe called the Analytical Materials Processor that provides constant feedback as to what type of materials lie beneath the surface – within range of the probe – in the specified direction. Each material identified is presented on a horizontal bar graph replete with information regarding the depth at which it can be found and the approximate quantity.

The cargo operator utilizes a console on the bridge of the ship that allows them to monitor a camera mounted within the forward-facing input port. The input port contains a powerful crusher that quickly reduces any incoming asteroid fragments to rubble and stores them in attached cargo modules for transport or, on ships with an integrated refinery, subsequent processing into their purified elemental forms. With an integrated Fragment Scanner – providing immediate feedback in regard to the fragment's precise composition. The operator is able to get a sense as to the value of the fragment, and whether it is worth attempting to guide it into the input port, or whether it contains so little of value that it's best avoided so as to preserve precious cargo space or time-consuming refining effort.

The position of refinery operator only exists on mining ships that contain an integrated refinery. Refineries allow raw ore to be gradually converted into their purified component forms, with the undesirable elements being ejected back out into space in the form of dust. Purified materials consume a small fraction of the storage space of their unrefined counterparts, which is of particular concern when dealing with low quality asteroid fields that possess valuable elements only in a highly diffused form, or when attempting to minimize the number of return trips back to a trading or storage facility. The refinery operator controls the routing of ore to a variety of specialized processing units, each of which has a different role to play in the separation of one material from another. Operator errors in the refinement process can cause sensitive equipment to fail, stalling the conversion process and costing valuable time until the affected item is replaced, typically with a surplus part stored in the ship's inventory.

Any job can be done by a NPC or player.

It's important to note that this information is gathered from different sources, I probably missed some stuff, both new and old, but nothing has been contradicted as of yet. It's also important to add that we are getting Mining on Planetary Bodies only, no space, in 3.2 which releases at the end of June.

UI_mining.gif

AnalyticalMaterialsProc.jpg

MISC-Mining-Vehicle-PIECE-2-V19.jpg

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boring ATV other than showing off mining, and some very cool shots of Hurston.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
It's the first iteration, so yeah it is basic. Unless something's changed, the plan is to eventually have a larger selection of base faces and have the ability to blend aspects from different faces.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that it 'continues' to look basic, from the language in the video it was obviously recorded pre-3.1. Its not a video on an update on the feature, just about how it came alive for 3.1, and also why its as basic as it is, there were quite a number of problems that you wouldn't expect.

cyress8

Avenger
Would be nice if the last iteration of the cc would be close to Black Desert. Top notch cc there.

Also, who is the person keeping up with the fleet info. I'm part of the Reclaimer club now. Put me down for a Connie and Reclaimer.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to be Black Desert slider style unless they've had a change of heart. The problem with Black Desert style customization is that there's too much freedom with mesh morphing. You can make good looking characters, but you can make monstrosities as well.