• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like CIG's brand has been mismanaged severely. Star Citizen should be a brand that's about doing exciting things, over-coming incredible tech-hurdles and introducing things we haven't seen before. Instead, Star Citizen is known as the game that sells ships for $10,000+. I feel like that takes away from both the community and the developers who work their tails off for us. It's frustrating for us to not be able to talk about the game without being weighed down by the massive prices some of these packs go for, and I imagine it's just as frustrating for developers to see their hard work dismissed because of the same thing.

You're not wrong but I want to argue why a little. It's not against you or your position, it's just that I feel that people (not you, you've been here a while iirc) perhaps don't remember just how hostile the press and public gaming discussion platforms have been all these years. They have chosen to focus on the money and negativity almost every single time. Every time there was a stunning tech breakthrough or some other news, you now know to expect the comment section filled with the factually incorrect, intellectually dishonest bullshit. There has been a constant chorus of bullying surrounding this project. It's organized and we are now used to that little song and dance with a shameful amount of gamers taking part. The good ol' pitchforking never went out of style and most of us just stay out it now. This is me just ranting for once in a while.

There are of course legitimate detractors and sceptics and I have actually enjoyed reading some of their critics when they did so in a constructive and knowledgeable way about specific aspects of the game. I've really had moments of insight when discussing the IFCS or aspects surrounding flight for example. But my point is that CIG had little chance of portraying the game according to its strength when the entire gaming press was intent against doing that.

Whenever there was news or positivity to be had about a demo or a breakthrough, what did the media articles focus on? I bet you can see it already, the funding counter with a nice headline to match. The actual information? A footnote. Third paragraph, right after the embedded ad and disclaimers about crowdfunding. Often, no context or explanation given for the news itself. I don't remember a lot of articles about how SC had gotten players walking around in spaceships while flying in a play area literally multiple AU-wide. I don't remember a lot of articles about how CIG's very own Ivo Herzig had gotten 1st and 3rd perspective working in tandem, in a multiplayer environment, when even Ivo himself doubted it. But space pets, boy, we got you covered. Dualshockers is the only outlet I know of that has not taken this route and actually talked about the game and why this one piece of news was exciting or impressive.

Do notice that, to give a counterpoint to the "nobody cares about that" rebuttal, we are getting an awful lot of news about how Kratos's axe is working and seeing a surge in gaming documentaries. There is an audience for this type of news, but not in SC's case apparently. What could CIG have done to counter this, when that behaviour from the gaming media and online communities has been there since the beginning? Their answer was to try and give content to outlets that will not twist their words and act professionally. Gamestar and Gamersnexus come to mind.

I was there since day 1 of the kickstarter and I have seen article after article choosing to focus on the money raised, the drama and anything else possible to not touch the technical aspects, to not get into the reasons backers chose to fund the game. It was always about the sensational instead of the passion behind this phenomenon. It was always about dehumanizing the backers, robbing them of their right to have a different perspective and getting outraged on their behalf.

I agree with you that there is a brand issue, I also agree that CIG has screwed up in times where they could have done something, or responding faster. However I will not forget that there is a massive and sometimes unintentional hostility directed at them that in my opinion bears the brunt of the responsibility for this situation.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong but I want to argue why a little. It's not against you or your position, it's just that I feel that people (not you, you've been here a while iirc) perhaps don't remember just how hostile the press and public gaming discussion platforms have been all these years. They have chosen to focus on the money and negativity almost every single time. Every time there was a stunning tech breakthrough or some other news, you now know to expect the comment section filled with the factually incorrect, intellectually dishonest bullshit. There has been a constant chorus of bullying surrounding this project. It's organized and we are now used to that little song and dance with a shameful amount of gamers taking part. The good ol' pitchforking never went out of style and most of us just stay out it now. This is me just ranting for once in a while.

There are of course legitimate detractors and sceptics and I have actually enjoyed reading some of their critics when they did so in a constructive and knowledgeable way about specific aspects of the game. I've really had moments of insight when discussing the IFCS or aspects surrounding flight for example. But my point is that CIG had little chance of portraying the game according to its strength when the entire gaming press was intent against doing that.

Whenever there was news or positivity to be had about a demo or a breakthrough, what did the media articles focus on? I bet you can see it already, the funding counter with a nice headline to match. The actual information? A footnote. Third paragraph, right after the embedded ad and disclaimers about crowdfunding. Often, no context or explanation given for the news itself. I don't remember a lot of articles about how SC had gotten players walking around in spaceships while flying in a play area literally multiple AU-wide. I don't remember a lot of articles about how CIG's very own Ivo Herzig had gotten 1st and 3rd perspective working in tandem, in a multiplayer environment, when even Ivo himself doubted it. But space pets, boy, we got you covered. Dualshockers is the only outlet I know of that has not taken this route and actually talked about the game and why this one piece of news was exciting or impressive.

Do notice that, to give a counterpoint to the "nobody cares about that" rebuttal, we are getting an awful lot of news about how Kratos's axe is working and seeing a surge in gaming documentaries. There is an audience for this type of news, but not in SC's case apparently. What could CIG have done to counter this, when that behaviour from the gaming media and online communities has been there since the beginning? Their answer was to try and give content to outlets that will not twist their words and act professionally. Gamestar and Gamersnexus come to mind.

I was there since day 1 of the kickstarter and I have seen article after article choosing to focus on the money raised, the drama and anything else possible to not touch the technical aspects, to not get into the reasons backers chose to fund the game. It was always about the sensational instead of the passion behind this phenomenon. It was always about dehumanizing the backers, robbing them of their right to have a different perspective and getting outraged on their behalf.

I agree with you that there is a brand issue, I also agree that CIG has screwed up in times where they could have done something, or responding faster. However I will not forget that there is a massive and sometimes unintentional hostility directed at them that in my opinion bears the brunt of the responsibility for this situation.

Fully agreed. It never surprises the comments that come out of people who nothing more about the game that the full product is unreleased and that you can pledge money for it. The accusations changed over the years from being vaporware to being a scam. The goalposts moves the more that gets released and that is the most telling. There are people who will push a misinformed message then call anyone who tries to inform them cultists. So the best thing to to is NOT try to engage it because it seems people have set opinions and let them continue it. It really doesn't affect the fact that Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is being made.

Last edited:

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This, I feel like CIG has never gotten out ahead of these stories. I never felt like CIG actually was prepared for any kind of story that had come out (other than a few) and only responds once the damage has been done. I felt like they've left their brand slip so far into the gutter that it's difficult to see them recovering a good image.

Other than that, I agree with a lot of what's in your post. Anyone who follows SC closely knows the hyperbole thrown at this game, the level of obsession that comes with the detractors who post false information, twist things to fit their narrative, and flood comment sections, forums, etc with pure bullshit that's easy to believe. I know some will yell "both sides!" but that's really like Trump saying "both sides". It's exhausting to deal with, pretty much what you said here:

There has been a constant chorus of bullying surrounding this project. It's organized and we are now used to that little song and dance with a shameful amount of gamers taking part. The good ol' pitchforking never went out of style and most of us just stay out it now. This is me just ranting for once in a while.

A lot of people have written this game off because of it's business model, and that's totally fair. I don't really mind people who find the whole selling ships for hundreds/thousands when the game isn't near completion as something they don't want anything apart of. That's their right, and I always say only buy the base package and only if you're willing to gamble on CIG.

I do mind though just the amount of bullshit that gets posted, and anytime we post our feelings or try to correct them, we're the obsessed cultists. These people pop up in every thread with their infographics and stupid youtube videos, years old conspiracy theories and debunked information about a game they don't even care about? People want to see this game fail, and that's a shame.

For example, I think what No Man's Sky did, flat out LYING to their consumers about their being all these features and multiplayer and them not being in the game was disgusting. They SHIPPED the game like that. Way worse than anything CIG has done so far. I never went into any thread about No Man's Sky and tried to troll people, or kick the developers when they were down. Now that after YEARS they're finally adding those features, I'm not going into threads and telling people how stupid they were, how horrible the developers are, how much of a cult they are defending and enjoying No Man's Sky. I'm happy for the fans, I'm glad the developers kept their promise in the end. I'm happy that the fans enjoy the game even if it's not for me, and that I found what the developers did to be over the top. Why would I do that? Let people have their fun, let games be developed, let people enjoy things, let people buy what they want.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
For example, I think what No Man's Sky did, flat out LYING to their consumers about their being all these features and multiplayer and them not being in the game was disgusting. They SHIPPED the game like that. Way worse than anything CIG has done so far. I never went into any thread about No Man's Sky and tried to troll people, or kick the developers when they were down. Now that after YEARS they're finally adding those features, I'm not going into threads and telling people how stupid they were, how horrible the developers are, how much of a cult they are defending and enjoying No Man's Sky. I'm happy for the fans, I'm glad the developers kept their promise in the end. I'm happy that the fans enjoy the game even if it's not for me, and that I found what the developers did to be over the top. Why would I do that? Let people have their fun, let games be developed, let people enjoy things, let people buy what they want.

I agree with everything you said. The "both side" narrative in particular, but that last paragraph really hammered it home for me.

I understand being turned away by the amounts of money involved in a game of that scale, by the amounts that wealthy people can dish out. Like, feel free to disagree on everything you want. You do you. But there's a line a country mile wide to cross from that to obsessively hating on it and poisoning everything you can. So... yeah. I'd like for people to call that shit out, but I think it will take more time for people to catch on.

Anyway, that's it for my rant :). I got it out of my system and I'm back to lurking. Also, E3. I'm curious like every year to see whether a publisher will announce a space game. I'm looking forward to hearing more about BG&E2, they really have something special cooking there.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE: Death Threats

The story is absolutely horrible. White nerd culture needs to die, and it's incredibly disappointing that we as a community who know how awful online harassment can be, when our own developers and the wife of Chris Roberts were being Doxxed and chased off twitter through extreme online harassment, would result to this type of horrible act. We should be better than this.

This needs to be condemned, this is not acceptable in any kind of environment or industry. Entertainment is about having fun and enjoying things, I never understood the enjoyment people get out of shitting on things that other people like, and I'll never understand what possess someone to send death threats over a video game, or a movie, a show, or a youtube video. Online harassment continues to be a huge issue in these circles and I'm truly disappointed to see it coming to another community that I'm apart of.

His package should be revoked, and I'm happy to see the Star Citizen fanbase across Era, Spectrum and Reddit condemning whoever did this. This cannot continue, SC is a community about passion for video games, passion for creating the next greatest technologies, and passion for ambition unrivaled in the industry. That's what our community is about, and that's what we support. We cannot give voice to those who seek to silence criticism of the game through harassment or threats, we need to ensure that we continue being an open community who welcomes everyone.

My support goes out to SidAlpha. It's disgusting that this type of stuff even happens, and I'm sorry that he had to experience this.

Whoever did this needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

And as a general point, if you're a backer of this game, you should be absolutely prepared for it to fail. If you're having melt-downs over criticism, you're not someone who should be apart of this journey.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monthly Report Images Beyond 3.2

LuanV_CE_Hangars_Util_Center_Kiosk_04.jpg

LuanV_CE_Hangars_Util_Center_Kiosk_00.jpg

DE_Update_May_2018_EnvArt_MiningPit_01.jpg

DE_Update_May_2018_EnvArt_Hurston.png

DE_Update_May_2018_EnvArt_MiningPit_02.jpg.jpg

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
That CaD was pretty good. I'm happy to hear confirmation of their plans for weather in the long run :

- Procedurally/simulation-driven. I inferred the "simulation" since to me that's one of the logical ways to interpret "procedural" in this context.
- Visible from space
- Worked on by Carsten Wenzel in his spare time for now, but it's in good hands

Also, I'm happy to hear about agent smithing not being a thing. While it was a really fun question the way it was first asked, I was worried it would ruin the sense of place and remoteness of the game.

Nice trailer, too. You can tell they know the cinematics tools inside out now. The photography, lighting and scene layout in some of those opening shots was gorgeous.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That CaD was pretty good. I'm happy to hear confirmation of their plans for weather in the long run :

- Procedurally/simulation-driven. I inferred the "simulation" since to me that's one of the logical ways to interpret "procedural" in this context.
- Visible from space
- Worked on by Carsten Wenzel in his spare time for now, but it's in good hands

Also, I'm happy to hear about agent smithing not being a thing. While it was a really fun question the way it was first asked, I was worried it would ruin the sense of place and remoteness of the game.

Nice trailer, too. You can tell they know the cinematics tools inside out now. The photography, lighting and scene layout in some of those opening shots was gorgeous.

I'm not counting on weather for a very long time, not in the systemic way that they would like anyway. Hopefully they 'fake' it for the first few planets before doing a deep-dive on that. I also think they'll flip-flop on the agent smithing, it's going to be a design choice that the majority of players will hate. Nobody wants to fly hours (or even days) to meet up with a friend, there's going to have to be some way you can instantly play with your friends.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not counting on weather for a very long time, not in the systemic way that they would like anyway. Hopefully they 'fake' it for the first few planets before doing a deep-dive on that. I also think they'll flip-flop on the agent smithing, it's going to be a design choice that the majority of players will hate. Nobody wants to fly hours (or even days) to meet up with a friend, there's going to have to be some way you can instantly play with your friends.

I don't know for weather. The way I see it happening is a first graphical implementation, if not just what we have today, with a static or very simple weather pattern. I don't think there would be another iteration between this and the final one considering that it would be a huge duplication of work and there's no real requirement for it. I agree that it's a long term thing, 1 or 2 years away. I'm just happy they want to do it that way, it's one of the things that really makes planets beautiful :).

I disagree considering agent smithing. I won't argue in circle, I'll just say the best MMOs I've played (DAoC, EvE) had a tremendous community and sense of belonging to a world in part because there was no teleportation or anything cheapening the effort of travel. Meeting up with your friends had a much more gratifying and unifying feeling than just "hanging out" in the same game and knowing you can be over in a second. I don't think it's something CIG will have to yield on, but as I said it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Made a Streamable of this one Captain_Raoul linked in Discord. I'm pretty sure that should have been a hit on the player, but the shadows on smoke are something else.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think they'll be making their own set deadline for end of this week. But tbh the patch could use a little more love. Guess they'll be patching out some other bugs in the coming weeks like they did with 3.1.
Overall it's not a bad patch, just not earthshattering. Some nice qol additions with the QT improvements and party system, but both still have some small bugs. They're patching pretty much daily ATM, so they might be able to squash those before tomorrow Evening.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking a lot of this but didn't know how to put in words. Especially with the crew section being open and then his/hers bathrooms. Just doesn't jive with each other. That he's spot on about engineering being through the lounge area, makes little sense functionally.
I feel the same.

Hope he makes more videos on this subject.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking a lot of this but didn't know how to put in words. Especially with the crew section being open and then his/hers bathrooms. Just doesn't jive with each other. That he's spot on about engineering being through the lounge area, makes little sense functionally.
Yeah, I don't think the low effort rebuttal of "more space is luxury!" works to a lot of complains against the 600i. They've made it far bigger than it was supposed to be (Connie size vs Starfarer) and haven't really done anything good with that size increase. There is so much empty space that makes the ship feel empty, not luxurious. It's still a pretty good ship like he said, but I feel like some parts of the ship had a lot more attention to them than other parts.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3.3 is in Evocati and Citizen Con is in 12 days for anyone interested.

We're mostly busy in our discord these days!

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OCS Interview published today:

JUMP POINT: We've heard a lot about OCS over the past year. Let's clarify once and for all, what is it?

OCS TEAM: OCS is a major system that's a key part of the foundation of Star Citizen as our 'verse expands to include more planets and solar systems.

JP: In broad terms, how does it all work? What's an object and where is it being streamed to?

Think of a computer's memory as an empty tub. The more available memory, the bigger the tub. As you play a game, objects you interact with are taken from storage and then dropped into it. Objects, in this case, mean things like level maps, 3D objects, textures, audio, pre-rendered video… all the individual parts that make up the game experience. It takes a little time to move objects into the tub, which is what you experience as loading. As long as the object you need has already been dropped in, though, you can make use of it immediately. OCS takes these objects and puts them into the memory to allow the game to use them as soon as needed. When they're not needed anymore, it takes them out to make room for more.

JP: Why not start with all the objects in the tub at once? Load them all at once and leave it at that?

That's how the Persistent Universe works right now… and we're already hitting the limit of what's possible. Computer memory becomes more plentiful and processes become more efficient with every new generation of technology, but the objects that make up games increase at a greater rate. Sure, if your game is small enough, you can make everything available immediately, but Star Citizen isn't a small game and it's only getting bigger! We need to be able to store content on servers (bigger tubs that are connected together) and then move it to the player before they know they need it. That's why we need to build in dedicated systems that let us manage those objects. OCS is our system for determining which objects need to be streamed to which players at which times, all while avoiding loading screens and accounting for a whole lot of dependencies.

JP: How does OCS tackle this problem?

Object Container Streaming breaks the game into smaller chunks so that we always have what the player needs available, while also letting us continue to expand the size and complexity of the game world in other directions. It helps us kill loading screens and make the Star Citizen experience seamless. With OCS in place, the game detects where the player is heading and pulls in all relevant entities.

JP: Is OCS a new idea, something on the cutting edge that we're pioneering?

Object Container Streaming is not unique to Star Citizen. Every game that approaches a certain level of complexity faces the same problem - there's more content to be delivered to the player than can be held in the computer's memory at any one time. In the 'olden' days, games were organized into separate levels or regularly required the player to sit through a loading screen while the data was brought to bear. Today, games address the problem depending on their nature. The most common solution for multiplayer and massively multiplayer games is to try and address the issue from a level and art design standpoint: build leaner levels and smaller objects that all players can keep in memory permanently. However, this won't work for Star Citizen, as building realistically-sized space stations, moons, planets, and star systems means we need very large maps available to many players pretty much all of the time. The client-side work we're doing today is more akin to openworld single-player games, with processes for knowing what the player is doing and accurately estimating what they will do next. This information allows the game to stream content that will be needed while dropping anything that won't appear again and enables modern single player games to have huge, seamless maps. We're just taking the tech a bit further by using it to build an entire universe.

JP: I've seen games where things visually 'pop in' once they're close to the player. Is that what we're talking about?

No, our solution needs to be much broader and our system needs to be able to handle many cases beyond whether or not the player is close enough to see a particular object. If anything, the easy part is knowing whether a ship, character, or even a whole planet is close enough to see. In a single player game, that alone would be fine… but, with Star Citizen, we have a vast galaxy inhabited by multitudes of players whose actions will constantly impact one another. Even if you can't see a ship, character, or place at a specific moment, it may still be impacting your game in some way. The challenge is to build a system that takes into account the million cases that aren't immediately apparent: How do we handle scanning ships outside of visual range? How do we handle a mission that assigns you to a marker three systems away? And most importantly, how do we handle several players in the same area impacting one another in ways we can't predict? The answer to these questions is something else you might have heard us talk about: serialized variables, which the game uses to communicate internally. Every 'piece' of the game has values that change over time and form a sort-of remote control over the state of game objects. That helps inform us of more distant changes that might impact the player. Another big part of this is making the process of loading entities asynchronous to reduce the time they take to load. We're changing the fundamental network messaging that handles spawns. Right now, the old system spawns something immediately using the main thread. So, if you need to load a whole planet, it could take a noticeable second or two because the game processes these requests. Once we're asynchronous, objects can be readied in advance to stream in more quickly without interrupting anything; think of it like meal prep for starships. Right now, you have to collect everything from the cupboard, but soon the game will have all the ingredients measured out in advance.

JP: Can you give me a real-world example of how it all works?

Right now, Star Citizen loads everything at once. With OCS, the player might start off with only their initial location in memory. So, if you start on Grim HEX, only Grim HEX is in memory. As you leave your quarters, the game knows to stream-in the area around you, including the level geometry, other players, docked ships, and more. When you call your ship, it starts streaming the area around the planet and as you move into space, it unloads your quarters and anything not needed on the planet's of the history of game development I referenced earlier: as soon as resources are freed up the priority becomes to make a bigger, better, and more immersive game.

JP: You said we're on step two. What's after client-side OCS?

Step three is server-side OCS, which will come online much later when the overall shape of the game world is closer to being finished. Serverside OCS is an essential part of what will eventually let us use multiple servers to create one cohesive game universe for all players. The work we're doing today is foundational for that. In short, we know what we're doing, we just have some dependencies to work out before we can start that part of the work.

JP: What's the biggest challenge to building this system? The nature of the thing.

Star Citizen is already a very complex game, so a system like this ends up touching almost everything that has come before it. A major part of our work has been preparing existing game elements for OCS, dividing content into logical containers and teaching the game how and when to stream them. We're turning Star Citizen's existing world into a sort of nesting doll of object containers. On the largest side, you have the Stanton System which encompasses many smaller containers that hold moons, asteroid fields, and the like. Then, you can go down several levels to individual ships, locations, NPCs, etc. The other very difficult aspect is production. 'Producer' is an oftenmisunderstood role outside the industry and one that doesn't get enough credit for what's contributed into building even a regular feature. In the case of OCS, producers are absolutely essential for keeping things planned and organized. We have tasks that might have two, three, or even four dependencies, meaning tasks given to other teams that need to be completed for our tasks to begin. Our producers keep a very complicated machine humming along nicely.

JP: How long has the OCS system been in development?

Work began in earnest about three years ago. Our overall plan has three parts. The first of these premiered in alpha 3.1 with serialised variable culling, which is basically the foundation of OCS. It's the system by which the game decides what is and isn't close enough to drop from memory. Next, we're hoping to premiere the client-side OCS, which gives each individual computer the ability to decide what needs to be in memory as described above. Right now, the server loads everything that's needed in the Stanton System to every player in a particular instance all the time. So, every ship model being flown, every portion of planetary surface, every audio clip… the whole bag. Once we premiere OCS on the live branch in the future, that will no longer be the case. J

JP: Does that mean we can expect to see a huge performance increase?

That's a very tough question to answer and I want to be cautious here. It's true that our testers have noticed some great improvements with regards to server-side frames-per-seconds (FPS). But, it's very important to understand that this is NOT a polish pass aimed at making the game run more smoothly. Instead, it's the key to letting us do MORE in the game world. While we'll see an improvement as clientside OCS comes online, we're also adding a lot more to the game and plan to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Therefore, the new system is much more about letting us give you a game world with more ships, more planets, more star systems. It's really a microcosm when there are one or two players in an area, but Star Citizen allows many more complicated scenarios to happen at any time. What if four players are in the same container and one drops a cargo box? The other players need to see it immediately, of course, but there are also any number of ways they might leave and come back or otherwise impact what's going on. If one damages the box, then it needs to appear the same way to everyone no matter when they revisit it. To make testing things like this possible internally, we use 'headless' clients, which are computers running the game in certain ways to help us help simulate multiple players in the same container. Of course, we're eager to move from headless clients to real, live players. OCS is another system that's going to benefit greatly from letting thousands and thousands of dedicated backers in. As with everything else, we're eager to see what happens when theoretical work meets the real world.

JP: What will those players 'see' when OCS goes live?

Players won't necessarily 'see' anything apart from the new locations and features made possible by OCS. When Alpha 3.3.5 goes live, every new location and feature is the result of OCS doing its thing, so the first things players see will probably be Hurston and its moons. All content in future releases will only exist because of the 3.3.5 update. So, think of OCS when you're landing in Area18 or blasting off in an 890 Jump.

JP: When do you aim to release OCS for the community?

We're eager to have it out as soon as it's ready. We're releasing Alpha 3.3 first to give the community access to the new ships and features that don't rely on OCS. OCS will come in Alpha 3.3.5, which we'll push out to the Evocati for testing as soon as we can. Keep an eye out, it's not far away!

JP: Do you have any final words for the community?

We want to thank everyone for their support and their patience. It goes without saying that the community is why we're here. A system like OCS isn't something a normal game developer would ever talk about in the first place because it's so 'under the hood'... it says a lot about the Star Citizen community that we have backers out there trying to understand all this work and cheer us on. It means a lot and it truly makes this feel like a collaborative effort. We can't wait to let you see what we've been doing. It's a cliché, but OCS is the thing that gets you to the thing. It enables Star Citizen to get bigger and to achieve what we set out to do early on. Getting it live is an exciting step forward and we're glad to have the community along as part of that process.

END TRANSMISSION

OCSJP1.png

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update. Any place where I can read impressions on 3.3. Sad to hear that on one of the Around the Verse, OCS got pushed back to 3.3.5.
For 3.3 impressions, you can check out the StarCitizen subreddit, I'm sure you'll find some there. It's still very early but obviously with CitCon coming up soon it should go to wider PTU in the next week or so and many more impressions will be coming out by then. You can also join our discord.

I'm also a little disappointed that OCS got pushed back a few weeks but such is the nature of development, I'd rather them get to right than rush it in and have everyone complain that OCS doesn't work or something to that nature.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently I believe its only First Wave and subscribers, but more invites should soon follow.
If you can enter PTU, the Public Test Universe button in your account page should light up.
You can copy your account to PTU there and you'll be sent a password.
...subscribers? I didn't know there was a sub. Weird.

Got to wait for invite in the next wave. Would not doubt they drop more in this weekend.
How do I get considered for that though?

cyress8

Avenger
How do I get considered for that though?
Pretty random after the first wave, I believe. Think they go by how much you have played. I know I was a first waver for awhile by playing a few hours after a few patches and then moved up to evocati by just constantly reporting bugs I've seen and verifying bugs others have seen.

Help posting bugs is the best way to get in early and at least move to first wave quickly.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
...subscribers? I didn't know there was a sub. Weird.

Yeah, they have a subscriber option which is used to pay for all the weekly shows and such.
Subscribers get monthly goodies, mostly just skins and such. At some point a year back or so Wave 1 PTU got added.
But as you can see, usually the rest of the PTU is opened pretty quickly, so only consider subscribing if you really want those cosmetics or want to support the weekly shows.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I just played PTU for the first time, made a single trading run with my small starter Aurora, earning a miserable 90 space bucks. ~_~ And I did that using the custom Price List help, which made me realize that trading economy currently sucks big time. only those with the largest ships can hope to earn a bit with each run].

Anyhow, I need assistance with few things:
- Can I finish quests that require me taking a box from one place to another if I don't have an accessible cargo space in my starter ship?
- Where can I find the shops for purchasing char armor and ship weapons?
- How to activate customizable 3rd person camera [action camera]? F4 just switches between 1st/3rd person [which I can only rotate].

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyhow, I need assistance with few things:
- Can I finish quests that require me taking a box from one place to another if I don't have an accessible cargo space in my starter ship?
- How to activate customizable 3rd person camera [action camera]? F4 just switches between 1st/3rd person [which I can only rotate].

-You can finish quests requiring you to take a box with you in the Aurora, but it's finicky as hell. When you stand directly by the opened door, with a box in your hands, there are a few select angles at which you will see the outline of the box inside the aurora. If you manage to put it down it'll stay there and you can bring it with you. It's really a bit of experimentation, once you get the angle right, you can pretty much get it every time.

-Shops carry different inventory. There are a few with some standard stuff based in Port Olisar (where you first spawn). A few shops with cooler stuff are in Levski on the asteroid Delamar (zoom waaaaay out on the mobiglass universe map and it'll pop up). Levski shops are based on the lower levels, follow the signs to the Bazaar. Trying to remember the name of the shop that carries the cool armor, it's in the back to the right when you enter the bazaar, down the stairs to your right and straight ahead. Weapons store there is called conscientious objects and they carry a railgun there among others. Be warned though, Levski sorely needs optimization, so FPS there is absolutely horrid and you'll encounter crashes. For buying armor I advise doing it the oldfashioned way (select piece with the interaction mode and select buy) instead of using the new terminals. They can lead to crashes.

-I think F3 switches between camera modes, I don't use it all that much tbh. F4 definitely does, and you can keep it pressed and use the arrow keys (amongst some others) to adjust the camera angle. Pressing Z will let you freely move the camera around, or lock it into the selected position.

Hope this helps!

cyress8

Avenger
With the Aurora you can place the box by opening the door and placing it on the floor. Done it a few times before the remodel. I'm not 100% sure on the remodel though. Have not tried it lately.

They are at each main hub, Port Olisar, Grim Hex, and Levski. Just need to walk around until you see the stores with them on the shelves. Not too hard to find them though.

- How to activate customizable 3rd person camera [action camera]? F4 just switches between 1st/3rd person [which I can only rotate]. You can adjust the camera with your numpad keys, I think. I rarely mess with it, so somebody that loves taking pics can help more with this one.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, the crashes are intense. I crash all the time, and once I died near Port Olisar I was revived at Grim Hex. I requested my ship, but of course, it arrived without my recently purchased secondary weapons [are they gone forever]. On a exploratory mission [enter a station to find few logs] I crashed 2 times and got killed once by a trigger happy pilot, so now beside that stations are three of my Auroras. :D And immediately after managing to finish that same mission for 400 ebucks, I crashed when entering my ship and then again after respawning at GrimHex.

My next goal is to return to Port Olisar to see if my secondary ship weapons will somehow resurface. If not, then I'll never upgrade my ship ever again.

edit - yup, new weapons are gone [both in PU and Arena Commander]. What a strange game. They costed me more than I can get in 10 regular missions.

Last edited:

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Finally got the chance to sit and watch the opening keynote and I must say I rather enjoyed that!! Well done to them for a good show! The tech alone that they have achieved in such a limited amount of time is impressive and the scale of what they have built is unbelievable. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the panels as they get uploaded!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I just played PTU for the first time, made a single trading run with my small starter Aurora, earning a miserable 90 space bucks. ~_~ And I did that using the custom Price List help, which made me realize that trading economy currently sucks big time. only those with the largest ships can hope to earn a bit with each run].
this will become a bigger and bigger point of discussion as time goes by.

If there is no reasonable income amount that can help people move towards the ships they want to earn -- big or small -- well...to say it will be as wholly unacceptable and vigorously discussed will have been quite the understatement indeed.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
this will become a bigger and bigger point of discussion as time goes by.

If there is no reasonable income amount that can help people move towards the ships they want to earn -- big or small -- well...to say it will be as wholly unacceptable and vigorously discussed will have been quite the understatement indeed.
Guy on reddit posted that after mining 3 rocks, which took him less than 30 minutes, he got 36k aUEC.
Which means that organized group will probably be able to get around 150k aUEC per hour.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Guy on reddit posted that after mining 3 rocks, which took him less than 30 minutes, he got 36k aUEC.
Which means that organized group will probably be able to get around 150k aUEC per hour.
Cool. So you are saying to me that I could earn a lot of aUEC if I purchase Prospector for $155? :)

I shudder to think how much time would I need with my starter ship to earn enough of ingame cash to even rent Prospector. :D

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. So you are saying to me that I could earn a lot of aUEC if I purchase Prospector for $155? :)

I shudder to think how much time would I need with my starter ship to earn enough of ingame cash to even rent Prospector. :D
Not that long at all. You'll just need one of these :P
TE16WK5.png