• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what was bothering me too. Something like GTA V cost about 140 million to actually develop. 200 million dollars later and this clusterfuck of a game is still not even close to a proper release, but everyone is just acting like this is completely normal when something like GTA is already an outlier in costs.

Edit: This is also the reason why publishers exist.
This is far more ambitious and large in scope than a GTA game is and will ever be.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I love how some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the most effective scams aren't some cardboard front that falls apart if you take one look behind the curtain. They have an often thick veneer of a legitimate business around it. They parade continued growth and progress, making sure to loudly broadcast how much they're doing. So using videos of glorified tech demos and stats on numbers of employees over time doesn't disapprove the very real concerns that SC has been a near decade long money drip that is no closer to final release than it was 5 years ago.
Do scams also come out with products that work on your PC? And also get updated?

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what was bothering me too. Something like GTA V cost about 140 million to actually develop. 200 million dollars later and this clusterfuck of a game is still not even close to a proper release, but everyone is just acting like this is completely normal when something like GTA is already an outlier in costs.

They're making two video games and one is much more complex than GTA V, which while is a great game, would only compare to something like Squadron 42.

And CR was talking about if funding dried up they'd be able to finish the game because they've been making the game better as they get funds. If funding suddenly dried out they'd obviously cut back on what they were intending to accomplish with the idea they continued receiving money.

"First of all, we always have a decent amount of money in reserve, so if all support would collapse, we would not suddenly be incapacitated. We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support. I'm not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42. The revenue from this could in-turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen."

If funding stopped today, you'd expect the roadmap to have a lot taken off it so they can finish the game. They had ~20m in reserves on the 2016 filing and the interview was given early 2017.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
This is hilarious. Enjoy your blissful ignorance.

Oh I'm sure I'm missing out, meanwhile I have two dozen new games that I can play that are actually all finished and released. Woe is me.

Again,
t0dwb4s.png

Says it all

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
This is avoiding my point.

No it's not. Star Citizen has consistently, without fail, blown dates and timelines. They have feature creep out the ass. They have so far not delivered a game, or anything remotely close to what was advertised. I'm not ruling out the possibility that the game will be finished, but right now it ain't. It's nowhere close and it's been 6 years.

Look, I have no horse in this race. I spent like $30 years ago on it: if it actually comes out with a decent, fully-fledged game? Great, I'm in. If it doesn't, I'm out $30. It's just really annoying to see people be disingenuous about this game.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in 2016 being hyped that Squadron 42 was just a couple months away.

I've really enjoyed playing their alpha but the management on this game is so weird.

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Again, it's easy to be ambitious when you have absolutely no reservations about promising everything to anyone with no plan as to how to make it happen.
Except their plans are right there. On that road map, and no doubt go more extensive in their JIRA.

But GTA has literally a small bit of features and small gimmicks compared to the shit you can already do in this game.

Does GTA have the graphics of this game? GTA lets you buy cars, houses, goto a strip club, stocks, and small small minigames. The game cost was marketting, and voice acting, and some R&D.
RSI has spent a metric fuckload on new engine features, and while having 80+ fully mocapped A List actors being recorded, while also working on two games at the same time one being persistent, and righting a trilogy for the story?

I don't see why it's so hard to notice the different between the two and why one costs a shitload more then the other to make.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the most effective scams aren't some cardboard front that falls apart if you take one look behind the curtain. They have an often thick veneer of a legitimate business around it. They parade continued growth and progress, making sure to loudly broadcast how much they're doing. So using videos of glorified tech demos and stats on numbers of employees over time doesn't disapprove the very real concerns that SC has been a near decade long money drip that is no closer to final release than it was 5 years ago.

I'm not sure it's a scam. Just seems like a case of feature creep with no one to reign them in.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
how ecatly is it a possibility? we can already play the PU? also what do you define as a finished product. is r6 a finished product? is gta online a finished product?

see you in 3 years in the verse :)

im not going to argue the semantics of what constitutes a finished product but whats available now clearly isnt it. its possible if development drags on and crowd funding stops covering the cost

It already released lol? Q2 2019 which is literally only a few months away is the last part of the road map for Star Citizen. It's going to be finished then. (edit: updated my post)

SQ42 has a lot more work for it.

ummm what? nothing will be finished in Q2 2019

Would it be possible on PS5?

i see no reason why squadron 42 wouldnt be possible on ps5. ps5 will have at minimum a 1080 gtx level gpu and a modern zen cpu. you can also remove the large amt of cpu overhead dx11 and windows brings

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
No it's not. Star Citizen has consistently, without fail, blown dates and timelines. They have feature creep out the ass. They have so far not delivered a game, or anything remotely close to what was advertised. I'm not ruling out the possibility that the game will be finished, but right now it ain't. It's nowhere close and it's been 6 years.

Look, I have no horse in this race. I spent like $30 years ago on it: if it actually comes out with a decent, fully-fledged game? Great, I'm in. If it doesn't, I'm out $30. It's just really annoying to see people be disingenuous about this game.

Literally the only people being disingenuous are the people attacking the ones that actually follow and play the game and do stuff like read the OP and its sale data.

I mean, YOU yourself has already been disingenuous in your own damn post!!

or anything remotely close to what was advertised.

That. That right there... it's bullshit. It's false. It is a straight up lie.

You CAN say they haven't delivered the full game, or all the features, you can rightfully so complaint that they are still in alpha. All that is fair game... but when you come out with "or anything remotely close to what was advertised." this is just hyperbolic bullshit. No more, no less.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
1 hour of the different systems of the game (combat, dialogue, FPS portion, mission structire, etc..)

I mean, how much do you need to see of a game to believe it will be released in 2 years?
I'm not sure. How about you ask the people who paid in 2 years ago and don't have a game yet?

I hope you all eventually end up with an awesome game. I really do. Blind faith like this, however, is seriously unhealthy.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Repeating this line definitely doesn't make y'all look less like Scientologists. Nope.
His line is so dumb there really isn't anything else to say.
Haaaa the good old "it's a religion" argument, I think it's my favorite after the "it's a scam" one. People that have a passion and are happy with it are really weird right ?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
1 hour of the different systems of the game (combat, dialogue, FPS portion, mission structire, etc..)

I mean, how much do you need to see of a game to believe it will be released in 2 years?

I need proven development and project management results to believe a game will release in a certain timeframe. This project has been a burning car crash since it began. One hour means nothing in the context of everything else. The PU is a mess devoid of content, btw.

Jun 1, 2018
Im impressed with the level of transparency. Well done CIG. And to all the people who said "its just a marketing gimmick", let me say that is one of the LEANEST marketing budgets I can think of for something less than 2 years from release.

NotoriousPUG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. How about you ask the people who paid in 2 years ago and don't have a game yet?

I hope you all eventually end up with an awesome game. I really do. Blind faith like this, however, is seriously unhealthy.

Well, as someone who backed in December 2016 (Two years ago), I play SC multiple times a week and love the gameplay.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
SC defenders are cultists at this point. They don't realize the entire industry and everyone else in the world is laughing at them. Try telling any casual gamer that people are spending hundreds of dollars on ships or plots of land for an unreleased game, see the reaction you get.

Exactly.

Imagine in 20 years that this game turns into ready player one. Those plots of land that cost 100$ will be worth millions. The joke will be on us lol.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of people here who say they don't care about Star Citizen/Squadron 42 and think it's a trainwreck etc, but can't seem to stop caring and posting about it.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I need proven development and project management results to believe a game will release in a certain timeframe.

If you claim that this does not exist right now, then nobody should be listening to you. As you are clearly talking out of your ass and ignoring information avaliable to backers and non backers for the last few years.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
TIL that 6 and a half years is "nearly a decade" .

If the people attacking the game really think it's so bad, why do they have to exaggerate to make it sound worse than it is. Even if you count the pre-Kickstarter work, it's been like 7 and a half years.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
This is far more ambitious and large in scope than a GTA game is and will ever be.

So it will never release. I do not follow SC in detail, but it is clear that after what 6 years already and still it is in development, and the single player, the beta of the single player is in q2 2020.

All the supporters can only hope that SC will be great and finally release in 2 years time.

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
m not sure. How about you ask the people who paid in 2 years ago and don't have a game yet?

They do tho? You can play it.

Im impressed with the level of transparency. Well done CIG. And to all the people who said "its just a marketing gimmick", let me say that is one of the LEANEST marketing budgets I can think of for something less than 2 years from release.

It really is. Doesn't anyone remember how much money Destiny cost?

I mean seriously Star Citizen is here right infront of us, and we can play it, but it's a scam? and it's fake? Man I literally have no idea what the fuck Death Stranding is but basically everyone here is convince that game is going to be beyond amazing. Hailing it as a mona lisa of gaming but we've got less then a minute of legit gameplay.
Repeating this line definitely doesn't make y'all look less like Scientologists. Nope.
? Did you seriously call a comparison to a group who believe we are gonna ascend to Xenu? To people to follow actual fiction as religion?

the thing we can play and put our faith in is real and we can play it.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Well they've got one thing going, they know how to keep the funding tap running. Utter madness investing that kinda cash.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unfulfilled dates on KS is basically a norm by now, games like Shenmue 3 are too way off of their suposed release schedules.

Blind faith would mean I'm just running on whatever CIG says, but that's not the case, they showed a game running in real time on real hardware with several system and gameplay mechanics on place, I think that's more than enough to believe that a game could be delivered in 2 years. Also the tech powering SQ42 it's playable now.

It's really that farfetched to believe a game could be delivered in 2 years? even CIG said they would focus entirely on SQ42 if it came to a point they run out of funds so they can get further funds. I don't know if SQ42 will be any good in the end, but you don't need blind faith to believe in will come out.

The MP game....that's another story imo.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
All that is fair game... but when you come out with "or anything remotely close to what was advertised." this is just hyperbolic bullshit. No more, no less.

First, slow down fella.

Second, if you want to go ahead and say what is currently released today is close to what was advertised, then you do you.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
2020?

Holy hell, that is 8 years to get to just a beta state

makes me glad i didn't go all out building a new rig for it back then.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Dont care about the game much, but the backstory is movie worthy. Failed used car salesman with game dev experience ends up sleeping on friends couch and driving limos to survive, launches kickstarter, becomes a multi millionaire, marries model...now all we need is an ending

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Unfulfilled dates on KS is basically a norm by now.
You say this, yet said you're entirely confident based on a video that this'll be set in 2 years? Okay. You're entirely right that big projects are notorious for delays. That's all the more reason to be skeptical.

Again, I do hope everyone ends up with a freaking great game, because the scope is incredible. But falling for any kind of timing promises after the past 5 years of things is ignorant.