• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wow Squadron 42 not even going to feign coming out in 2019, just skipping straight to mid 2020 for Beta. Unreal.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Personal attacks and antagonizing other members over multiple posts
Deflection implies there's something to deflect, I said I enjoyed the game in the current state, you replied with "watch this hour long series on why you are wrong"

Like I said, lazy.

Please keep up the tantrum because you refuse to look at contrary arguments. It's extremely funny.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need proven development and project management results to believe a game will release in a certain timeframe. This project has been a burning car crash since it began. One hour means nothing in the context of everything else. The PU is a mess devoid of content, btw.

So you need CIG to release a game to believe they will release a game? BTW I'm not betting they can release it in that timeframe, just that 1) It's reasonable enough 2) Seems the game is further enough into development that a release seems more than likely even with the release date pushed back even more.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Please keep up the tantrum because you refuse to look at contrary arguments. It's extremely funny.
I'm sure there's no more then a little more air exhaled out of your nose, with this "funny". You need to search up what a tantrum is as that is not it.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
It's reassuring to see the financials, though I don't understand where the extra money in Cumulative Net Position comes from.. How do they go from $5mm in the red to +$14mm for 2017? Maybe it includes money in the bank from previous years?

Oct 26, 2017
So... given their financials and burn rate you can estimate they will run out of money in 2020. I guess that's why the are planning to release the game in that year!

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Am I reading this right? They are spending 40-50M USD per year, with about 14M in the bank, so... they HAVE to keep the pledges up or they would essentially go out of business in a matter of months?
(before taking on the investment, ofc, and no numbers for 2018 yet)

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say this, yet said you're entirely confident based on a video that this'll be set in 2 years? Okay. You're entirely right that big projects are notorious for delays. That's all the more reason to be skeptical.

Again, I do hope everyone ends up with a freaking great game, because the scope is incredible. But falling for any kind of timing promises after the past 5 years of things is ignorant.

I think is a reasonable enough timeframe, but the only thing I'm pretty sure is that SQ42 will be released, maybe not in 2 years but I think CIG is clearly focusing on SQ42. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's enough arguments in favour of the release without the necessity on betting it on pure faith.

Also don't worry, I didn't put a dime on this game and if at the end it burns down like a falling bridge I won't suffer from it.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this right? They are spending 40-50M USD per year, with about 14M in the bank, so... they HAVE to keep the pledges up or they would essentially go out of business in a matter of months?
We operate very much like a live product. What we do is every year we forecast what we'll be doing over the year, and that sets our spending targets. Generally we've been incredibly accurate on our forecasts over the last four years. We maybe had two to five percent deviation from our forecasts, which is pretty decent.

Yes, you could say, "You have $20 million in the bank, and that's only so much for operations." But there's not ever been a case where we've gone to zero dollars. There's no history to say we would do that. That's kind of like me saying — yes, if Electronic Arts didn't bring in another cent, they'd be out of money in short order, because they have pretty heavy running costs.

Oct 27, 2017
So... given their financials and burn rate you can estimate they will run out of money in 2020. I guess that's why the are planning to release the game in that year!
They just got $50m for a 10% stake.

Snefer

Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Sure, but the risk situation is a bit different when you compare an established publisher that is working on 20-30 projects at the same time. Didnt think they were cutting it that close this whole time.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or are just tired of the amount of shitposting and lies when the game is playable and the development is pretty transparent.

Seriously, noone attacking it read the OP.
I mean... 8 years for a BETA of the Single Player part of the game and a some peoples clapping like is the second coming of Jesus is reaaaally weird... also attacking ferociously the people that say that something is wrong here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not even close to being the same situation.
If Rockstar was as open with their development as CIG as been people would literally call EVERY single one of their projects failures. Hell even ND fans would call their projects failures. There's an aggressive amount of stupidity and peddling of misinformation in the gaming community when it comes to game development and Era unfortunately isn't very far from that at all whenever a dev goes in depth about the development of a title outside of a heavily curated five minute dev diary video.

Wow that is alot of information to process. And holy hell is this thread a dumpster fire. How many people actually took the time to go over the info before actually posting? LOL.
The rhetoric in this thread is the equivalent of:
iTAmc.GIF

I mean, all you really need to do is look at the timestamps of people responding to the OP to tell us that the game is never coming out.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but the risk situation is a bit different when you compare an established publisher that is working on 20-30 projects at the same time. Didnt think they were cutting it that close this whole time.
And then people would be saying they're not putting the money into development and want to keep 50m and run if the project turns bad.

Snefer

Verified
Oct 30, 2017
And then people would be saying they're not putting the money into development and want to keep 50m and run if the project turns bad.
yeah, I dont care about what people say about that. Im just surprised from a business/developer point of view.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is alot of information to process. And holy hell is this thread a dumpster fire. How many people actually took the time to go over the info before actually posting? LOL.

I don't think they understand you. Can you simplify it a bit more for them.
Someone literally posted "I wonder how much money they wasted"

THE AMOUNT THEY SPENT IS RIGHT IN THE OP???????

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I mean... 8 years for a BETA of the Single Player part of the game and a some peoples clapping like is the second coming of Jesus is reaaaally weird... also attacking ferociously the people that say that something is wrong here.

You think is weird the thing that people are not doing for the not actual real reasons you just stated? You really think that's strange?

Nobody is treating this as "a second coming" people are just tired of being called "zealots" by people that come in bashing without doing the bare minimal of looking up information before blasting nonsense as truth.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive By Post.
Praise Xenu, Or: May the space real estate gods, used spaceship merchants, and gold sellers favour the bold and/or foolish.

Last edited:

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Im confused. This is just the single player and not even the full game?

They are 2 different products.

Squadron 42 is a full on singleplayer game.

Star Citizen is the extended MMO in that same unniverse.

SQ42 is a full game on it's own right. They recently had Mark Hammil doing motion capture to reprise his role from the Wing Commander series since this is in the same universe as that. So, when that comes out, it's a full game.

But for that game to be fully delivered, they have to finish a few of the game systems that will also be in the MMO, which is a larger project.

For example, initially it was just a Wing Commander game. Just piloting stuff. Since then, they added a full First Person shooter into the game, with both regular on foot combat and Zero-G combat (and the ability to seemless transition from Airship battle to space walk to zero G FPS to regular FPS without loading screens ) and other Vehicles aside from just space ship. Also full on space combat with ships controlled by multiple players on different stations. Some ships you can't even fly without a crew... which also led to needing an entire suite of AI Crew that you can hire and use to main stations at your ships, which also requires all of that to work on the Singleplayer game as well as the online multiplayer MMO.

So... yeah, its big.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
Supporters keep on saying "But look at the roadmap!". A roadmap doesn't really mean anything if they can't keep to their schedule. Have they shown any ability whatsoever to hold onto any of their project milestones?

Do they know what a project schedule actually is and what it takes to accurate forecast out a completion date? Do they know their resource requirements and limitations? What is the critical path to completion and are they actively managing that on a weekly basis?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thats quite a far away target. Will they actually hit it or is it likely to get delayed?

For how many more years can they function with the current level of staff with the current level of funding?

Is it normal to do all the motion caption and stuff this far out from a finished product?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I am so glad I stopped myself from backing this when it was first announced. I'll be glad to get my hands on it in 2042.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
Glad to finally have a ballpark for S42. I can now position my gaming hardware upgrades around that time.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you didn't bother to do any actual research at all and are just repeating old shitposting? Qulle surprise.
Nobody's being attacked ferociously either, shitposters are getting called out on factual innacuracies. Stop bringing up conspiracy theory garbage if you don't want to be called out for it.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Yeah this game is never coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled tbh.

If they cancel star citizen I think the backlash would make the backlash against blizzard for the mobile game look like a breeze.
There are a lot of people with a _lot_ of money in the game.

Myself I'm glad I only put in $15 a long time ago. If they succeed I still get the game :)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely fine with the devs taking their time with this game, as it's clearly the most ambitious game we're seeing being made so far. I was really impressed with this clip:

It just shows the potential and ambition with this game, and the fact of having no publishers pressing them on deadlines really help them to bring their vision into a reality, no matter how much time it takes.

This game could potentially be the biggest waste of a money that we've ever seen, but it also could be the most ambitious game of all time so far. So I don't mind the devs taking their time to show us their ambitious vision into life. Also this thread is a dumpster fire full of negativity surrounding the game, people calling it a scam at least should try to understand what this game is setting itself to be, we would be never getting a game of this scale if it was surrounded by publishers setting deadlines and pressuring the devs to rush content. There's still the possibility we will never be getting the game envisioned by the dev team since it's so ambitious, but I prefer having empathy for the devs who are working their asses off in this who are also being completely transparent with their plans, instead of hating and calling it a scam. But hey, the world moves around in negativity these days, *sigh*.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I have a decent amount of faith in Squadron 42. And boy am I hyped for it.

The MMO game on the other hand, I think they have a LOT of work ahead of them. Game looks real rough

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have understood Star Citizen reaching beta in 2020 but I have to admit feeling gutted that it's actually S42 that's purportedly trying to hit that milestone. So goodness knows when Star Citizen will reach beta.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that $50m strictly for marketing though? The original posters were talking about operating costs.
It shows that, at a $500m valuation, and with plenty of shares to spare, they probably have the means to get a lot of funding before worrying about going under. That's ignoring that they haven't needed investors for operating costs, of course. There's no reason to believe that they'd run out of money, and only evidence that they wouldn't.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
For example, initially it was just a Wing Commander game. Just piloting stuff. Since then, they added a full First Person shooter into the game, with both regular on foot combat and Zero-G combat (and the ability to seemless transition from Airship battle to space walk to zero G FPS to regular FPS without loading screens ) and other Vehicles aside from just space ship. Also full on space combat with ships controlled by multiple players on different stations. Some ships you can't even fly without a crew... which also led to needing an entire suite of AI Crew that you can hire and use to main stations at your ships, which also requires all of that to work on the Singleplayer game as well as the online multiplayer MMO.

So... yeah, its big.

You forgot transition from atmospheric entry and multiple mission branches. They showed this all of in vertical slice which is a pretty good indicator of scale and amount of stuff they are working on.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I would have understood Star Citizen reaching beta in 2020 but I have to admit feeling gutted that it's actually S42 that's purportedly trying to hit that milestone. So goodness knows when Star Citizen will reach beta.

They can't actually be that far apart. What is holding SQ42 back is mostly the fact that it's gameplay systems are part of an MMO that is a separate product.

The thing with a Singleplayer game campaing is that it's a much more controlled environment, so it's easier to contain and test. So it makes sense that it would come out first. But once that is out, then and the variables that are beyond the scope of the Singleplayer need to be polished and tested. So, if they reach that point after the release of SQ42, it's the final stretch for Star Citizen.