• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
So you would say implementing, let say, mining into the game is at the same amount and time as the transistion from ground to space and reverse in an engine that wasn't built for it?

I'll be generous and will cut the approximation of required time and resources in half, so this game will come in about a decade and cost only between one and two billion dollars.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
"It is a crowdfunded experience that you get to participate early on, the more friends you get on board the more fun it is!"

tenor.gif

Aaaaaaand we are done.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Ah moving goal posts.

What? You're the one who said it would be easier than what I said, I merely humoured you. Cutting it in half just shows that it's still a very large number even if something is easier.

Just tell me your approximation of how long it will take for Star Citizen to be feature complete, and how much more money it will take. Surely you're not bullshitting me without having done any thinking yourself?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
My dream is that if this game fails to materialize they release all the assets into public domain. There has been a lot of amazing development work done and it would be a shame if that is all for nothing.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Egyptian archaeologists are now claiming that it costed less to built the real Pyramids

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, and that is a very important discussion to have regarding this (and the dev. hell). But hot takes and shit posts will not allow this untill a few pages in :)

Surely you must understand why this game upsets people? I'm sure some people hyperbolize stuff and whatnot, but the developers have not prioritized things well.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What? You're the one who said it would be easier than what I said, I merely humoured you.

Just tell me your approximation of how long it will take for Star Citizen to be feature complete, and how much more money it will take. Surely you're not bullshitting me without having done any thinking yourself?

Since I never think this will be feature complete, but a 1.0 will be released, I would say... 2022, 150 more mill.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Surely you must understand why this game upsets people? I'm sure some people hyperbolize stuff and whatnot, but the developers have not prioritized things well.

I fully understand that, and they have been shitting their bed often. Like that whole debacle where you had to pay to stream even if you were a backer.

But the last... 1,5 year? They have been much much better in this regard at least.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Since I never think this will be feature complete, but a 1.0 will be released, I would say... 2022, 150 more mill.

There we go, wasn't so hard was it? I hope for the backers' sake that you're right but I have zero expectation that it will happen. The date is soon enough that this forum will be probably still around, so luckily we can see what happens.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably be the most P2W game ever made. It's already the worst in terms of monetization.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There we go, wasn't so hard was it? I hope for the backers' sake that you're right but I have zero expectation that it will happen. The date is soon enough that this forum will be probably still around, so luckily we can see what happens.

Yes, let us hope that. I totally see that you don't expect it since you had an outlandish claim that it would cost several billions and decades.

Lemonade727

Oct 8, 2018
That's Rockstar levels of development money.

Does the current early access version of the game reflect that type of budget?

The only problem with this is that it's impossible to properly state what amount of the money has already been spent on development. Just because the amount of money raised is $250 million doesn't mean that all of that is reflected in the game currently. That would mean they don't have any money stockpiled for future development costs and they've been running the shop month-to-month which I find highly unlikely.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Just tell me your approximation of how long it will take for Star Citizen to be feature complete, and how much more money it will take.
Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode will be feature complete for Star Citizen's single-player features - space flight, seamless planetary landings, trading and piracy and exploration and realistic NPCs and a vast 3D universe - before Star Citizen is.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very intresting balancing point how to handle this sort of thing.

Hopefully there is enough for "plebs" to just act in the universe and do your thing and not getting stomped.
We'll see how it shakes out in the final game. But the situation doesn't look anywhere close to good right now.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, let us hope that. I totally see that you don't expect it since you had an outlandish claim that it would cost several billions and decades.

For accuracy's sake, I don't think it will ever get to that point because it's not at all realistic for anyone to get that kind of money. My prediction of what will happen is the company will just fold whenever the money runs out, and whatever is on their hard drives will be released as a last ditch effort. Not sure how many years it will take though.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Man imagine if instead of making this game in space they would made something like GTA but on whole other level. I would probably be the best game ever. Like the almost realistic New York with thousands of NPC, real car damage etc..

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Could anyone give a breakdown as to why on earth a game that hasn't been released yet can sell in game vehicles for $500+?

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Is there a reason people are buying all these ships for this game? Are those people investing so that they can try and make irl money off the game through gold farming or something when they game actually releases?

Oct 27, 2017
if i can steal someone's ship they bought with real money and throw them out of their airlock
then do donuts around them while they die of hypoxia while sending me angry PMs accusing me of cheating
then this game will have been worth every penny

Lemonade727

Oct 8, 2018

I think it'll start balancing out when death becomes meaningful in the game and the crime system is implemented properly, i.e. no more getting killed by a guard to just wipe away crime stats or only having to worry about the current small server population stopping you from clearing it at Koreah.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll start balancing out when death becomes meaningful in the game and the crime system is implemented properly, i.e. no more getting killed by a guard to just wipe away crime stats or only having to worry about the current small server population stopping you from clearing it at Koreah.
What's the most expensive ship sold so far?

Oct 25, 2017
Man imagine if instead of making this game in space they would made something like GTA but on whole other level. I would probably be the best game ever. Like the almost realistic New York with thousands of NPC, real car damage etc..
Nah, this budget is close to what Rockstar works with, but they know what they are doing.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only problem with this is that it's impossible to properly state what amount of the money has already been spent on development. Just because the amount of money raised is $250 million doesn't mean that all of that is reflected in the game currently. That would mean they don't have any money stockpiled for future development costs and they've been running the shop month-to-month which I find highly unlikely.

Fair enough and you make a cogent point but I was just curious if - overall - what is currently available reflects the resources they have. I don't expect all 250 million to be pumped directly into the game but regardless, that is a large budget by any metric.

I haven't played the game so I was just curious.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you this much, this milking model they've done with these insanely expensive limited edition ship packs that get the true believer whales to buy basically guarantee average joe isnt getting them in their 40$ game they kickstarted way back when, no matter how many times they say otherwise. You're either gonna face crazy backlash from the cultists or you're just gonna alienate the poor peons that are gonna need to grind for 200 hours to get a single ship. Not to mention the model they currently have is probably more profitable than just selling the game for 60$ and be done with it, so it pretty much ensures they will constantly need to show off shiny new features alongside their sales rushes, which really makes the game feel like a jankfest and lacking in any cohesive identity, which shows bigtime in the current game.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, there's currently a $27,000 add on ship pack.

This game will never be properly balanced.

Lemonade727

Oct 8, 2018
What's the most expensive ship sold so far?

I honestly don't remember what the Javelin ships sold for, but I think the Kraken Privateer this year was $2000.

Fair enough and you make a cogent point but I was just curious if - overall - what is currently available reflects the resources they have. I don't expect all 250 million to be pumped directly into the game but regardless, that is a large budget by any metric.

I haven't played the game so I was just curious.

I definitely understand the perspective, it's just weird trying to make the comparisons with there not being a final product. Current in-game stuff definitely does not reflect anything near that price point, but progress definitely seems to be getting made at a faster rate so things look pretty good IMO for the near future status of the game (I know this gets said year after year in regards to this game).

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I honestly don't remember what the Javelin ships sold for, but I think the Kraken Privateer this year was $2000.

I definitely understand the perspective, it's just weird trying to make the comparisons with there not being a final product. Current in-game stuff definitely does not reflect anything near that price point, but progress definitely seems to be getting made at a faster rate so things look pretty good IMO for the near future status of the game (I know this gets said year after year in regards to this game).

If you check the latest keynote it is night and day compared to 1-2 years ago.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

That's ridiculous, and will completely destroy the multiplayer balance for anyone not willing to pay up.

Hopefully it's F2P