• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Just stuff you earn in game. So if you had credits or ships at a certain amount those get reset. 3.8 will introduce platform persistence but since the insurance isn't really in game you still never loose ship you have purchased.
hold up, hold up

So up until now

If you bought it with money, you keep it

If you earned in game, you lose it

lol

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
hold up, hold up

So up until now

If you bought it with money, you keep it

If you earned in game, you lose it

lol

Yes, hence the video I posted above. You can rent ships. Missions net enough to easily explore most of the ships on list. And community is so cool simply asking to borrow a ship or take a tour of a ship you are interested in has been granted on every server I have been on. Partially because persistence hasn't been in people haven't worried about losing things or crime stat ratings which lead to alot of interesting scenarios. But again platform persistence is scheduled for 3.8 which already has entered early player testing.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, hence the video I posted above. You can rent ships. Missions net enough to easily explore most of the ships on list. And community is so cool simply asking to borrow a ship or take a tour of a ship you are interested in has been granted on every server I have been on. Partially because persistence hasn't been in people haven't worried about losing things or crime stat ratings which lead to alot of interesting scenarios. But again platform persistence is scheduled for 3.8 which already has entered early player testing.
How do they justify letting people who spent real money keep their shit, but not letting the people who earned the same stuff in-game keep it?

Oct 31, 2017
What?

The monetization of this game is an absolute mess. That's not really up for debate so don't even try. The real question is how the horrible monetization will screw with the in game balance and economy. Day 1 there will be people who have already spent tens of thousands of dollars on the game. That's bad.
For what I've seen so far it seems it will be mostly bad for them, since "owning big ass ships" doesn't really give them that big advantage they are probably hoping for.

A quarter of a billion dollars.
I'm surprised people still find this number shocking in 2020.
Sounds not very far from your average triple A these days.

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
How do they justify letting people who spent real money keep their shit, but not letting the people who earned the same stuff in-game keep it?

Justify? The game is in development. This is an alpha. The systems for persistence is being worked on hence it platform persistence being upcoming in the next patch. Hence if you ask most SC communities, even here on era in the OT threads. The caveats are explained so no one goes in blind. Unlike the insistence that there is a pyramid scheme going on, a few main suggestions you will hear alot is, there is no need for larger ships especially if you are a solo player, there is no need to go beyond basic package if you want to simply experience the game. The game is in alpha (true state of alpha and not just a marketing term) so it may have bugs and unexpected behavior. If you can't handle these things. You can either wait till it is in more complete form or full release. Or you can simply decide this game isn't for you and move on.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It's supposed to be a virtual world of unparalleled depth. In actual fact it's a really buggy tech demo with a few hours of placeholder content.

The list of features the full game is supposed to have is orders of magnitude larger than what exists. Thus simple maths show that if it took ~$300 million and 7 years to get the tech demo, a full game would cost several billion and several decades.
Insanity. I've no doubt we'll be at the start of 2021 and not much will have changed. When's the next big update due anyway?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
It's really more like "revenue" than it is "fundraising", tbh.

It is, however, still stupid.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Half life will release before this game, think about that.
Kingdom Hearts 3, Shenmue 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Last Guardian, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5 (DmC retconned), Resident Evil return to form (both RE5 and RE2make), Spidermen 2 tier Spiderman game, Fallen Order (an actual good singleplayer story Star Wars game), new Mario game set in a GTA world seriously wtf, Battlefield and Call of Dutys return to WW1/2, all the characters that got into Smash... All these dreams since SCs kickstarter lol

Not to mention FF7 Remake, Metroid Prime 4, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Baldurs Gate 3, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Phantasy Star Online 2, Kerbal Space Program 2, AOE 4, its kinda insane how many are now real wtf

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what I've seen so far it seems it will be mostly bad for them, since "owning big ass ships" doesn't really give them that big advantage they are probably hoping for.

I don't think most AAA games are above 100+ million, so 250 is a fucking lot of money (and counting)
(And a lot of times, a great chunk of the budget goes to marketing, development never ever reaches those numbers)

Oct 31, 2017
So it's a list written in 2014 that already includes several cases going abovet 100 millions. And things aren't going to get better.

I'm also somehow under the impression this just arbitrarily chooses to not include MMOs or there would be at least a couple more names.
Not to mention Star Citizen is technically TWO different games (an MMO and a single player story driven campaign).

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

So you think they'll allow players to buy $500-$2,000 ships, but won't give them any gameplay advantages from owning them?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So it's a list written in 2014 that already includes several cases going abovet 100 millions. And things aren't going to get better.

I'm also somehow under the impression this just arbitrarily chooses to not include MMOs or there would be at least a couple more names.
Not to mention Star Citizen is technically TWO different games (an MMO and a single player story driven campaign).
In no way, shape, or form has the development of Star Citizen been at all comparable to a standard development cycle. From the budget to the funding to the management, nothing about it is anything close to normal.

Oct 31, 2017
So you think they'll allow players to buy $500-$2,000 ships, but won't give them any gameplay advantages from owning them?
I mean, the advantage will be that they already own expensive ships other players will need to work hard for.
The mistake is to think owning these ships will make that much of a difference in your everyday game experience.

Let's put it in this term: owning an Origin 890 Jump is the same of starting another MMO already owning your own guild hall.
Cool, right? You can show it around for bragging rights when the game goes live.

...And then? Do you think these players will automatically "win at everything" because an expensive space yacht is in their hangar?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And as I said, a lot of the money is dedicated to marketing, development barely ever reaches that much, Destiny was 140 million of development out of 500 million. The point is 100+ million are for the top of the top of videogame productions, 250 million which is mostly for development is ludicrous by all standards.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the advantage will be that they already own expensive ships other players will need to work hard for.
The mistake is to think owning these ships will make that much of a difference in your everyday game experience.

Let's put it in this term: owning an Origin 890 Jump is the same of starting another MMO already owning your own guild hall.
Cool, right? You can show it around for bragging rights when the game goes live.

...And then? Do you think these players will automatically "win at everything" because an expensive space yacht is in their hangar?
How long will players have to "work hard" for ships that have a real world cost of 2 fucking grand?

That's the issue. The game isn't even out yet and some players have in game, gameplay altering items, that cost 2 grand.

Oct 31, 2017
In no way, shape, or form has the development of Star Citizen been at all comparable to a standard development cycle. From the budget to the funding to the management, nothing about it is anything close to normal.
I never said a word about it being comparable to shit, so calm down.
I said the amount of money in itself is not as impressive anymore when put in context of what triple A productions cost these days.

Oct 31, 2017
How long will players have to "work hard" for ships that have a real world cost of 2 fucking grand?
Well, that's the big question, isn't it? So far to be honest if anything it's way too easy.
An experienced player even with a basic ship can reliably farm between 50 and 200K in one session. Some manage to make even more taking some risks.
For context all the ships that you can currently fly can be bought in game and their price ranges between 200K and 14 millions for the most gigantic ones.

You can farm one evening and make enough money to buy a 30-60 dollars ship. Two-three days for most of the ones under 250 and so on.
It will be interesting to see how much this will get tuned after release (when they will be persistent purchases as well).

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
It´s even more than that. Forbes said in May of 2019 that it´s at least 288 mil: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...nbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/#4d76b935ac96
The 300 mil mark will be crossed next year for sure, which will make it the costliest game of all time. Not that anyone knows how much the WoW upkeep costs.

My interest in it has been dead for 2 years, the game is or became a scam, it went to court, it´s mismanaged, the team is a mess, Roberts is a mess, etc, etc.
This dance has been done to death by now. Moving on.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I never said a word about it being comparable to shit, so calm down.
I said the amount of money in itself is not as impressive anymore when put in context of what triple A productions cost these days.

I disagree. This game has likely DOUBLE the development money that the biggest games of all time had. It's ludicrous and astonishing.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I never said it was a small amount of money, either. It feels like you are arguing with yourself at this point.

Still an amount that was already matched several times and it will become increasingly common for most big productions.
Again, no. SC is an outlier. The amount of money that has been poured into the game is not normal for a big production.

Oct 31, 2017
I disagree. This game has likely DOUBLE the development money that the biggest games of all time had. It's ludicrous and astonishing.
It has literally half the overall budget on Destiny at this point in development.
And I won't take the "that includes marketing and promotion" as an excuse to make a distinction, because the same will apply for both.

And once again the budget is supposed to be split into TWO distinct games.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't care whatever pieces (large or small) of the game they put out, until it's fully released, it's a scam as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 31, 2017
Your strategy of going "Nuh-Uh" when people state facts is bold.
Setting arbitrary distinctions that are based mostly on perceived differences in "style and tone" rather than hard numbers is not "stating a fact" and pointing it out is not "Going nuh-uh".
I'm definitely not a fan of how this game is monetized myself, but that's irrelevant personal bias when it comes to what we were talking about.

Still, feel free to keep being petulant as long as you want for all I care.
You just can't force me to agree with you.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
It has literally half the overall budget on Destiny at this point in development.
And I won't take the "that includes marketing and promotion" as an excuse to make a distinction, because the same will apply for both.

And once again the budget is supposed to be split into TWO distinct games.

Yeah, and Bungie shipped Destiny. When are either of the TWO star citizen games launching again? At this rate* they will exceed that budget and STILL not be done lol

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Justify? The game is in development. This is an alpha. The systems for persistence is being worked on hence it platform persistence being upcoming in the next patch. Hence if you ask most SC communities, even here on era in the OT threads. The caveats are explained so no one goes in blind. Unlike the insistence that there is a pyramid scheme going on, a few main suggestions you will hear alot is, there is no need for larger ships especially if you are a solo player, there is no need to go beyond basic package if you want to simply experience the game. The game is in alpha (true state of alpha and not just a marketing term) so it may have bugs and unexpected behavior. If you can't handle these things. You can either wait till it is in more complete form or full release. Or you can simply decide this game isn't for you and move on.
Lol not an answer to my question.

Clearly the systems are in place to let people who buy things with cash keep them update to update. So why have they been wiping stuff people earn in-game?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit at destiny, wtf

500$ Million, with all the costs: Packaging, Royalties, Marketing, etc...

The 140$ million figure for development also includes marketing
TOTAL MAXIMUM BUDGET FOR DESTINY 1
Though advances are not discussed in the contract, Activision said it agrees to go up to a maximum budget of $140,000,000 for the first Destiny game on Xbox 360.

However, this includes marketing costs, and because it is the maximum amount before royalty penalties are issued to Bungie, it should not be considered as an accurate guide to production costs.

Activision investment of the game was incredibly risky and was meant to create another powerhouse IP for Activision. 250 million that covers (mostly) development (which is still ongoing) is absolutly insane and not normal or common on the industry, overall the indstry is largely avoiding expending so much money on games that aren't very powerful established IPs

Oct 31, 2017
Lol not an answer to my question.

Clearly the systems are in place to let people who buy things with cash keep them update to update. So why have they been wiping stuff people earn in-game?
Because with each update so far they wiped the database in general to have a clean slate for testing.
Ships aren't the only thing that got lost in the process. Any weapon, armor, ship component or cosmetic clothes bought between major patches gets wiped regularly so far, as your in-game "bank account".
The only reason "people who bought ships" keep them is because they aren't an in-game possession, they are "written down" as part of your account.
They still lose all the rest.