• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
dbefa99235050a71798500c2cc4f679c--caged-movie-quotes.jpg

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, how is this not illegal? The developer got filthy rich from this and delivered absolutely nothing?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Considering how little has been done with that budget, it's an astonishing number.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
"Raised" seems like a bit of a misnomer at this point

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
It's starting to shape up pretty good too, looks like it's actually going to deliver what the fans wanted(myself included).

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Is this solely for Star Citizen or some of it will be used for Squadron 42?

Btw when dafuq is it coming out anyways?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could trick... swindle... convince people to give me 250 million dollars for a tech demo that will never be completed.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, how is this not illegal? The developer got filthy rich from this and delivered absolutely nothing?

This response has always baffled me. Like, you can get in to the alpha right now and play the game. They even constantly update it and sent a weekly email about the entire development status from every department.

No one is saying that it isnt a bloated, slow, and ridiculous development. But "delivered nothing?" C'mon.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"It is a crowdfunded experience that you get to participate early on, the more friends you get on board the more fun it is!"

tenor.gif

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now they are probably developing seeing how next gen consoles won't hold back high end PCs.

What a vicious cycle.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's Rockstar levels of development money.

Does the current early access version of the game reflect that type of budget?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
It's supposed to be a virtual world of unparalleled depth. In actual fact it's a really buggy tech demo with a few hours of placeholder content.

The list of features the full game is supposed to have is orders of magnitude larger than what exists. Thus simple maths show that if it took ~$300 million and 7 years to get the tech demo, a full game would cost several billion and several decades.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ah yes, the hot takes and shit post has already been posted. I estimate this will take approx. 3,4 pages before windling down.

Feb 10, 2018
Same. Are the makers of Star Citizen transparent as to how much they earn, can anyone answer that? Specifically the Roberts brothers in charge.

Of course they need a wage for there job, but they get to decide that wage, it must be pretty tempting to put aside $100 million for themselves and use $150 mill for development, I guess it will be in the small print of there fund raising campaigns, and even then with good lawyers they could likely get round it.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's supposed to be a virtual world of unparalleled depth. In actual fact it's a really buggy tech demo with a few hours of placeholder content.

The list of features the full game is supposed to have is orders of magnitude larger than what exists. Thus simple maths show that if it took ~$300 million and 7 years to get the tech demo, a full game would cost several billion and several decades.

Yes that is simple math, but wrong when it comes to this.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet they still refuse to refund me my original crowd funding campaign amount.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they need a wage for there job, but they get to decide that wage, it must be pretty tempting to put aside $100 million for themselves and use $150 mill for development, I guess it will be in the small print of there fund raising campaigns, and even then with good lawyers they could likely get round it.
They've already sold stakes in the company for like 50 million. That's a much easier way of doing what you're describing.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Because all the assets and systems just pop into existence without the need to do the work?

So you would say implementing, let say, mining into the game is at the same amount and time as the transistion from ground to space and reverse in an engine that wasn't built for it?

EDIT: And no, it won't be the same amount of work since if they have the tools ready, which they have shown, they can create quite qick a planet based on their algorithms. Some stuff for sure take the same amount of time, like voice acting and whatnot.