• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But it shouldn't be that shocking to SC fans that people do get into that level of criticism, when Roberts et al have given a goldmine of things worth being concerned about.

Not to mention the thin skinned narrative is on full display here, when a SC criticism thread has a weird potshot being taken at Elite Dangerous right on schedule despite that game not even being mentioned.

I am not shocked but there lies zero value in those post to the discourse. And this is the only game I have seen that is allowed to have that sort of post associated with it.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I am not shocked but there lies zero value in those post to the discourse.
Isn't there? Even if it isn't necessarily a scam (since there *is* something of a product there), there are absolutely elements of how SC is sold that is frighteningly familiar to how other scam products have been pushed. People should be allowed to discuss it from that angle.

And this is the only game I have seen that is allowed to have that sort of post associated with it.
Probably because SC is the only high profile game doing all these specific things in this very specific manner.

Some of you may be surprised that this scam can already be downloaded and play. Guess they managed to deliver an illusionary product:

Timeshares and pyramid schemes have real products/services tied to them, too.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you have to say about this? Seriously.
The only explanation is that CHRIS ROBERTS one of the most famous video game developers ever was completely broke and has had to resort to funneling money out of a passion project he works on himself to afford a moderately expensive home in one of the most expensive places to live.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Man imagine if instead of making this game in space they would made something like GTA but on whole other level. I would probably be the best game ever. Like the almost realistic New York with thousands of NPC, real car damage etc..

You're not too far off, its actually GTA in space and I'm not kidding at all

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there? Even if it isn't necessarily a scam (since there *is* something of a product there), there are absolutely elements of how SC is sold that is frighteningly familiar to how other scam products have been pushed. People should be allowed to discuss it from that angle.
So you're allowed to make posts saying it's a scam for years and we have to shut up and listen ?

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I mean how is this not a money laundering scheme at this point? It's like scientology mixed with a pyramid scheme mixed with a crappy elite-like.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I guess I just see people's legitimate concerns about the project. And then I see even more oddities like on the first page of this thread someone claiming they haven't been able to receive their refund yet. No matter how you slice it Star Citizens entire history has been an odd one. I've been fascinated by the whole thing, not to play it, but to read about it's development.

Jul 17, 2018
and this would be the worlds worst scam if he, while trying to scam people, employed hundreds of people.

Bernie Madoff employed thousands

The only explanation is that CHRIS ROBERTS one of the most famous video game developers ever was completely broke and has had to resort to funneling money out of a passion project he works on himself to afford a moderately expensive home in one of the most expensive places to live.

This is true, actually. He was completely broke:
4zXGwsD.jpg

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not an scam, but an horribly managed project with a terrible unsustainable business model that consist of selling 3D models for astronomical prices in the hopes your incredibly overambitious game reaches it's end at some point in the future.

Not being a scam is a pretty low bar at this point.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I still get the feeling this is some genius money making scheme with those at the top rolling in it. It's never a scam because they have top quality shit to show off but it's never seemingly realistic or well managed either.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wonder what they will sell after these games are finished?

Seems smarter to keep the MMO in development in perpetuity as this kind of steady income is almost irreplaceable. Can't sell $2,000 ships after the final game launches...so what is the incentive to launch?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
So you're allowed to make posts saying it's a scam for years and we have to shut up and listen ?
On the same token, should people not be allowed to discuss the scummy behavior being exhibited by CIG/Roberts/etc? I think people *should* be allowed to discuss the potential nature of the project as a scam, while others *should* be allowed to discuss how it isn't. That's how this whole thing wants to work. You just can't expect people to only be nice about the game.

To be clear, however, I do not personally think SC is a scam. A product is clearly starting to materialize, though it is years away from being what was promised to us years ago, but I do also believe that the leadership IS engaging in scam-like behavior to allow Roberts to achieve two of his pie in the sky dreams that were snatched from him in the past.

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
If you want a tweet that sums up Star Citizen it's this

I really don't get how an in-game ship can be worth $600 to anybody. That's like 10 full priced games. Ten! I get a hell of a lot of entertainment value out of ten full games. That's worth $600. Or, those ten games represent an enormous amount of work from the developers. That's also worth $600. How on earth does it make sense to pay $600 for only a ship?! I can't understand the rationale here.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's endearing to see people trying to have fun with the alpha, especially ones who play it sorta like a sci fi truck simulator. I can see the appeal in that.

Some of the crazy fans, very apparent troubled development and terrible business practices is wild though.

I watched the entirety of CitizenCon this year. I still couldn't believe how much of a mess it is. They couldn't even get npc AI to work right.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get how an in-game ship can be worth $600 to anybody. That's like 10 full priced games. Ten! I get a hell of a lot of entertainment value out of ten full games. That's worth $600. Or, those ten games represent an enormous amount of work from the developers. That's also worth $600. How on earth does it make sense to pay $600 for only a ship?! I can't understand the rationale here.
People pay thousands dollars for hats in TF2, which are simple cosmetic items. A large ship at least grants new gameplay opportunities and for large orgs to be in one place.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Sadly it's the same rational behind spending $1000 on a world of Warcraft mount or $10,000 on a mobile gatcha game. Some people are just willing to spend insane amounts of money on things they find valuable to their lives. Even if everyone else around them can't fathom it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
People pay thousands dollars for hats in TF2, which are simple cosmetic items. A large ship at least grants new gameplay opportunities and for large orgs to be in one place.
Hats in TF2 can only be obtained via real money and are extremely rare and limited in quantity (in some cases < 10 exist in the entire world). These ships will be earnable in game by anyone who wants one. Not a very good comparison at all.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well TF2 is a game that currently exists, which by itself is a big point in favor of rationalizing spending so much money on silly cosmetics.

Incidentally, the people who spend thousands on hats in TF2 are crazy as well.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

You can't really justify something crazy by pointing to something equally as crazy as if it were normal.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is this all really just from people donating? Like is there some rich dude doing the majority of that or just people around the world?

Oct 27, 2017
People still calling this a scam need to catch up because they've clearly spent a hell of a lot of money making the thing. I don't think there can be much doubt that they are trying to accomplish what they set out to do.

I think ultimately the problem with this project will be that the physics based total freedom they've promised won't actually be that much fun but id be happy to be proven wrong.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I know how good it looks but how can't they even get the basic scripting for the NPCs right? At times it seems like Superhot, where they stopped moving until you do something (most apparent on the NPCs in the background during the conversation with the hologram.)

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is this all really just from people donating? Like is there some rich dude doing the majority of that or just people around the world?

At this point it's the people already invested throwing more money in, rather than constant influxes of new people buying in.

For all the arguing about scams and pyramid schemes, the one thing they have done is hone their whale-hunting strategies down to a science.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's down to the individual to decide what they want to spend their money on and what makes sense for them.
That's an interesting response. How long does it take to earn any of these more expensive ships? Say we're reasonably efficient with our time and focused on earning credits. Say we want to buy a Carrack with our credits. Say we expect what we unlock with our credits to persist through final release.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how the first thing justifies the second one, whe the first example is already unjustifiable.
I don't think it's justified at all, it's lunacy all around. But people are acting like this is some new concept, which it obviously is not. Also, hats in TF2 can traded with people in-game without spending a dime. You get loot-drops, you turn those into scrap, you trade for keys, use the keys to trade for other rare items, and then you trade for some dumb hat with a fire effect. Some people pay real money, thousands of dollars, for something that is technically earnable in-game. It's the exact same shit as SC, but AT LEAST the ships give new gameplay opportunities. People should earn items by playing the game, not cheating by using real cash.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Seriously, I know how good it looks but how can't they even get the basic scripting for the NPCs right? At times it seems like Superhot, where they stopped moving until you do something (most apparent on the NPCs in the background during the conversation with the hologram.)

Tbh, I always imagine a team behind the stage to type in commands right on time that trigger the AI to do stuff in these demos^^ All gameplay and interaction related things look soo... wonky.