• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The only explanation is that CHRIS ROBERTS one of the most famous video game developers ever was completely broke and has had to resort to funneling money out of a passion project he works on himself to afford a moderately expensive home in one of the most expensive places to live.
You say that ironically, but it's the truth. He was broke.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
He had to sell his company after settling out a huge $ suit from Costner AFTER getting bought out by Microsoft. It was financial failures all the way from WC4. Read the article maybe.
And how much money did he get for selling? how much money did he have before selling? was he or the company directly liable in the lawsuit? how much did he directly get from the Microsoft buy out

like unless you're his tax guy there's so much you don't know about his financial situation it's ridiculous to say anything like you were

Nov 14, 2017
mqFhN0w.jpg

Source
I like that spin on why he sold his house and rented for so long. It's nicer than Kevin Costner sued him leaving him dead broke for ten years.

Jul 17, 2018
And how much money did he get for selling? how much money did he have before selling? was he or the company directly liable in the lawsuit? how much did he directly get from the Microsoft buy out

like unless you're his tax guy there's so much you don't know about his financial situation it's ridiculous to say anything like you were

The sheer denial is powerful here. You should complain to Forbes about it. How dare they imply his financial decisions weren't sound?

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they will sell after these games are finished?

Seems smarter to keep the MMO in development in perpetuity as this kind of steady income is almost irreplaceable. Can't sell $2,000 ships after the final game launches...so what is the incentive to launch?

While on the surface this makes sense, but then you realize they could lay off a good portion of their staff when the game is "made" and still sell things without a lot of the costs that come with doing so much R&D and core engine work, and can just focus on making content. In addition you bring in all the people who are waiting on the sidelines for it to be "finished" before buying the game, and they have a strong incentive to get the game made.

That's an interesting response. How long does it take to earn any of these more expensive ships? Say we're reasonably efficient with our time and focused on earning credits. Say we want to buy a Carrack with our credits. Say we expect what we unlock with our credits to persist through final release.

I actually wrote about this in the OT
I'm concerned about grind, it seems like I'll have to grind forever to get a big ship and be able to compete with those who bought ships with cash.
The grind for a ship that costs thousands of dollars will be a likely impossible grind for just a single player trying to do it alone. These ships are supposed to be used by orgs with hundreds of people in them and are supposed to be very rare and extremely hard to obtain. That being said if you got a bunch of people and said our goal is to be able to purchase one of these massive ships, and you all worked together and contributed to a fund to be able to purchase one, the grind will be significantly less and a lot more attainable than going on your own. In terms of personal progression, you're not expected to go from a small ship, grind for months or years and buy a capital ship. There's incremental progress, as you go from small ships to medium, large, etc, those ships will allow you to make more money and the next progress step will be more attainable as you climb the ladder. You're also going to be able to buy used ships, rent ships, so it's not like you're going to have to buy each ship outright just to use them. In the end, Star Citizen is being designed in a sense that the only goal is to have fun doing whatever you enjoy doing, if they succeed then the grind won't be prohibitive to enjoying the game.

So, by yourself a Carrack might take a few months to obtain on your own. The Carrack isn't meant to be run solo though, it's meant to be run as a group. As a solo player you're not supposed to really go for these large ships that can take 5 people to run correctly. However, if you get a few friends and try to obtain the ship together as an org it'll be a lot less time.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I actually wrote about this in the OT

So, by yourself a Carrack might take a few months to obtain on your own. The Carrack isn't meant to be run solo though, it's meant to be run as a group. As a solo player you're not supposed to really go for these large ships that can take 5 people to run correctly. However, if you get a few friends and try to obtain the ship together as an org it'll be a lot less time.
I see. And who owns the ship if we earn one as a group?

And these ships earned and unlocked in the Beta will persist through final release?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And these ships earned and unlocked in the Beta will persist through final release?

I'm guessing the ideal is that there will be shared ownership between all parties which is a downright hilarious fantasy to anyone who has ever spent a single day playing any sort of massively-multiplayer game.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the ideal is that there will be shared ownership between all parties which is a downright hilarious fantasy to anyone who has ever spent a single day playing any sort of massively-multiplayer game.

I've seen enough drama regarding fake money on guilds in MMO's that I can even imagine when real money is involved.

Like, if one of the people stops playing and wants to sell the ship to get some money back? Lol

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

With orgs the ability to set access to who can use the ships would be left to the leaders of that org, or however the org leaders decide to delegate that responsibility. I'm not sure who would "own" the ship.

As far as I know the plan is in the next patch in a few weeks they're putting in "platform persistence" that should stop wiping what you've earned every patch, other than in emergency cases where there is no other solution to fix a DB issue. Whether they'll do wipes before a beta or launch is something that's too far away for me to speculate on.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how mindblowing it'll still look when it hits the public years down the road, it's not like the rest of the industry is sleeping. I'm mostly interested in the SP campaign and stuff like facial capture tech still looks nice but it's not superior to some of the stuff we're seeing in other games. Granted it's not the focal point of the game but still...

Oct 25, 2017
Reductio ad absurdum is a form of shitposting. Don't pretend you want to engage in actual discussion.

I know way more about the real estate situation in that very specific part of LA than I care, lots of people rent houses there for a whole variety of legitimate reasons, and it is very, very expensive.

Claiming it to be proof of anything in of itself is ridiculous.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am glad that I got out when I did.

I have zero faith that CR is the person to deliver on this project.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The game is years and years away from being feature complete but needs to keep promising more new features to continually raise money to keep the lights on in order to fund development.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It might be the most inefficient game project ever, with suspect nepotism and very questionable executive salary, but it's getting so much money that it might still end up being special. I have been impressed a number of times playing it. I might even invest serious time today if I knew my money/purchased ships would carry over. I wish it moved faster but they really have delivered some major things like the first fully modeled city planet. The detail in the ships are really fun. I guess it feels like they are taking a decade building the foundation, which seems like a long time but maybe not.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just imagine a 250m budget

And the game is basically going to be pay for win when it's all said and done.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I played it, it was a buggy broken mess. Is this still true?

Do you still fall through the floor of the launchpad?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It might be the most inefficient game project ever, with suspect nepotism and very questionable executive salary, but it's getting so much money that it might still end up being special. I have been impressed a number of times playing it. I might even invest serious time today if I knew my money/purchased ships would carry over. I wish it moved faster but they really have delivered some major things like the first fully modeled city planet. The detail in the ships are really fun. I guess it feels like they are taking a decade building the foundation, which seems like a long time but maybe not.
Well the ships youvare buying with real money will of course carry over to release.
Also starting with next patch (in about 2 weeks) we should be able to carry over money and items etc. from one patch to the next :) (there might still be some wipes until release tho)

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
maybe it will be like elite dangerous (or at least how it was) only all the mega ships are controlled by the richest players instead of NPCs.
There's 1 mega ship that will only be controlled by the AI as a way for RSI to control some stuff in the game. Think of it like a death star. Everything else will be flyable by players.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
StarCit is probably my one big crowdfunding regret, and its continuing success in getting whales to keep adding to the insanity just adds to my shame in having been an extremely small part of it in the early days.

Yeah same here, i kickstarted it because i wanted a cool space pew pew game, i never expected it to turn into the bloated mess it is now, the hardcore fans behave as cult members and the business model is atrocious and puts even the worst ea/ubisoft microtransactions to shame, i feel dirty having backed this monstrosity and no longer have any interest in supporting them anymore.

Besides i already got my fill of space with elite dangerous, that game had a fraction of the budget and released within two years of the kickstarter and has gotten a ton of new content since it's release, for anyone who has had enough of star citizen and it's sleazy shenanigans i highly recommend it.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Well the ships youvare buying with real money will of course carry over to release.
Also starting with next patch (in about 2 weeks) we should be able to carry over money and items etc. from one patch to the next :) (there might still be some wipes until release tho)
Lets say I want a Carrack (like everyone else) but can't justify $500 on a crowd campaign. To buy one with in game money, assuming my current ship costs under $60 and has very little cargo room, is going to take how long? 50 hours? 100? I'm just not spending that time if I''m eventually going to lose it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
With orgs the ability to set access to who can use the ships would be left to the leaders of that org, or however the org leaders decide to delegate that responsibility. I'm not sure who would "own" the ship.
I see. Yea, I can't say I'm a fan of not owning something I put my time and treasure into. Will there be no AI crew options for people who want to buy a bigger ship (like one of those yacht looking ships)? You telling me all of the people buying these bigger ships all have groups of friends who will fly with them all the time? None of them plan on being mostly solo players? I'll take your word for it if so.

As far as I know the plan is in the next patch in a few weeks they're putting in "platform persistence" that should stop wiping what you've earned every patch, other than in emergency cases where there is no other solution to fix a DB issue. Whether they'll do wipes before a beta or launch is something that's too far away for me to speculate on.
Wait, what now?

Don't you realize that was the essential and consequential part of this conversation? How can you endeavor to talk to me about being able to "earn things now no problem!" (paraphrasing) in the context of a conversation where people can *pay money* and have guaranteed access in the final release? The assumption in you bringing this up as a counterpoint is real, permanent ownership by way of earning it in-game...or they are not equal options. I assumed this was confirmed by the developers for you to even have brought up the counterpoint. Access in the final release as a prerequisite and core premise in the conversation should have been very obvious, no?

If permanent ownership of ships earned now (or in the next beta or w/e) has not been confirmed as remaining unlocked through the final release of the game, a comparison can't be made because it would mean that a way to earn (and keep) the ships does not exist presently. The reason I asked, of course, is because virtually no games I've ever played or heard of in their Beta releases allowed players to keep things unlocked in the final release. It would have been really cool if that was the case here. Refreshing, even. But again, your mentioning this as an alternative implied something you didn't actually have any insight into.

Your point that players can access and earn most ships right now so they can choose what's best for them financially isn't actually a choice right now at all: you either buy the ships with your real money or you [most likely] have to wait until final release to truly earn and own anything since it is highly unlikely that anything earned in the beta will carry over to final release. Right?

With respect, I'm going to be honest: I feel like this should have been obvious and it feels like you tried to give me a shady, bullshit answer on the most essential part of the conversation. I don't really appreciate it and I hope that's not the case but I don't know what else to think. If you didn't know the answer, it would have been better to not imply that earning ships in game was an alternative to buying them in the beginning. Because if those unlocks aren't going to be in the final release (they probably won't), then it isn't an alternative at all.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lets say I want a Carrack (like everyone else) but can't justify $500 on a crowd campaign. To buy one with in game money, assuming my current ship costs under $60 and has very little cargo room, is going to take how long? 50 hours? 100? I'm just not spending that time if I''m eventually going to lose it.
Honestly I don't know, I think there are actually calculators for that online haha. But as Boss said previously, a ship like the carrack is a multicrew ship and you should try to get one by playing with other people. Don't expect to easily go from a mustang alpha to a carrack, it's more like starter > small > 2 man ship > medium > 3-4 man ship > large or something like that.
Bigger ships NEED a crew to function, it's designed to not be easily attainable by just one person.
People who buy it with real money still need a crew to use it as well. Sure you can fly it solo, but you're such an easy target if you do this.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen enough drama regarding fake money on guilds in MMO's that I can even imagine when real money is involved.

Like, if one of the people stops playing and wants to sell the ship to get some money back? Lol

Don't worry, the Star Citizen Probate Court simulator is on the roadmap for implementation in 2035. It's going to feature revolutionary new dispute resolution technology that CIG is developing from scratch.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, the Star Citizen Probate Court simulator is on the roadmap for implementation in 2035. It's going to feature revolutionary new dispute resolution technology that CIG is developing from scratch.

Be on the lookout for Star Citizen Lawyer degrees being offered at a college near you!

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't know, I think there are actually calculators for that online haha. But as Boss said previously, a ship like the carrack is a multicrew ship and you should try to get one by playing with other people. Don't expect to easily go from a mustang alpha to a carrack, it's more like starter > small > 2 man ship > medium > 3-4 man ship > large or something like that.
Bigger ships NEED a crew to function, it's designed to not be easily attainable by just one person.
People who buy it with real money still need a crew to use it as well. Sure you can fly it solo, but you're such an easy target if you do this.

So if I want to play this game with friends (assuming I have them), we... have to either fly solo or buy the ship?

That would be a huge barrier to entry for me... Imagine having only rowboats and sloops in Sea of Thieves... The adventure isn't going to start until we dick around on the same ship with the capabilities of multiple missions.

It is too early, but I think they need to lock-down the promises (or update them) on what is intended experience and the intended average playtime for medium sized multi-crew ship unlocks.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Will there be no AI crew options for people who want to buy a bigger ship (like one of those yacht looking ships)?

I've got the best idea: for the low low price of x dollars per month, you get to hire an AI crewman. And that's just the starting salary for a rookie! If you really want to amp things up, hire a bona fide ace for ten times the price! The poors will never even see you(r AI) coming!

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They will get to AI crew sooner or later. That path you stated will get wiped out too. Best to just wait until they promise no more money wipes.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

Serious question: do the things you buy with real money get wiped with every patch? Or just the stuff you earn in-game?

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what now?

Don't you realize that was the essential and consequential part of this conversation? How can you endeavor to talk to me about being able to "earn things now no problem!" (paraphrasing) in the context of a conversation where people can *pay money* and have guaranteed access in the final release? The assumption in you bringing this up as a counterpoint is real, permanent ownership by way of earning it in-game...or they are not equal options. I assumed this was confirmed by the developers for you to even have brought up the counterpoint. Access in the final release as a prerequisite and core premise in the conversation should have been very obvious, no?

If permanent ownership of ships earned now (or in the next beta or w/e) has not been confirmed as remaining unlocked through the final release of the game, a comparison can't be made because it would mean that a way to earn (and keep) the ships does not exist presently. The reason I asked, of course, is because virtually no games I've ever played or heard of in their Beta releases allowed players to keep things unlocked in the final release. It would have been really cool if that was the case here. Refreshing, even. But again, your mentioning this as an alternative implied something you didn't actually have any insight into.

Your point that players can access and earn most ships right now so they can choose what's best for them financially isn't actually a choice right now at all: you either buy the ships with your real money or you [most likely] have to wait until final release to truly earn and own anything since it is highly unlikely that anything earned in the beta will carry over to final release. Right?

With respect, I'm going to be honest: I feel like this should have been obvious and it feels like you tried to give me a shady, bullshit answer on the most essential part of the conversation. I don't really appreciate it and I hope that's not the case but I don't know what else to think. If you didn't know the answer, it would have been better to not imply that earning ships in game was an alternative to buying them in the beginning. Because if those unlocks aren't going to be in the final release (they probably won't), then it isn't an alternative at all.

All I said was what people do with their money is their own business and none of ours, there's people who buy private jets for millions of dollars, people who buy game consoles instead of building a gaming computer, people who spend $500 on a CPU instead of $250 for a 10% performance boost for their computer, people who buy wine for thousands of dollars, people who buy cars that lose 30% of their value as they drive off the lot. I really don't care what people do with their own money.

If you want to buy a ship in Star Citizen you can, if you want to wait for it to release so you can earn it "permanently" in game, you can. I think they've said they won't wipe between beta and launch but I have no idea when that's going to be so I don't want to speculate on it. You can earn most ships in game right now and starting with the next patch, they won't be wiping what you earned unless there's an emergency.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to play this game with friends (assuming I have them), we... have to either fly solo or buy the ship?

That would be a huge barrier to entry for me... Imagine having only rowboats and sloops in Sea of Thieves... The adventure isn't going to start until we dick around on the same ship with the capabilities of multiple missions.

It is too early, but I think they need to lock-down the promises (or update them) on what is intended experience and the intended average playtime for medium sized multi-crew ship unlocks.

You can always rent, or ask someone if they are willing to lend a ship over chat. It happens alot.

Again if people don't want to hop in now, you don't have to. You won't get harmed by watching people struggle through the alpha/beta period in the game. If the system works as intended (and as Tony Z crazy presentation shows) there isn't going to be a fixed amount of time when all systems are in. The situations could work out in your benefit depending on what is happening in the verse or what system you are in.

While more systems are getting online and the final underlying blockers get knocked out, the picture gets clearer. But as such anyone looking for final answers or final gameplay won't find them because game is still being made but there is limited persistence in now, platform persistence along with socs is scheduled for 3.8 and full persistence is required before server meshing can come online

Serious question: do the things you buy with real money get wiped with every patch? Or just the stuff you earn in-game?

Just stuff you earn in game. So if you had credits or ships at a certain amount those get reset. 3.8 will introduce platform persistence but since the insurance isn't really in game you still never loose ship you have purchased.