• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, how is this not illegal? The developer got filthy rich from this and delivered absolutely nothing?
I'm not a fan of SC either, but it's factually false to say they have delivered "absolutely nothing".

They haven't delivered a finished product, but it's definitely not nothing.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Lol not an answer to my question.

Clearly the systems are in place to let people who buy things with cash keep them update to update. So why have they been wiping stuff people earn in-game?

Things that are purchased are attached to your account. Things that happen in game universe is not. It requires a separate system that keeps track of what you have done (in addition to all items and attachments for person, ship and locations). Even for people who own ships when the resets happen it returns things to default state, which mean people who purchased ships still lose any modification, any rentals, or in game purchases they have done through out the quarter. So the experience isn't really different just the default starting point. If you are really interested I posted a video (starting around 22 min mark) below in which Chad McKinney lead gameplay engineer at CiG explain what Socs is and what they were doing to persistence and the issues involved. Thankfully you can hear this type of information from devs themself.

And once again the budget is supposed to be split into TWO distinct games.

I think that is constantly overlooked interestingly enough. Not sure why.

The backers wont say development is normal. And neither would the devs at CiG state that either.

Many of the devs working on the game, like in the video Todd Papy and Brian Chambers , have worked in the industry for many years. And alot of the faith from backers are placed in the talent and the hundreds of videos and content they have spoken with the community. The fact that it is playable and have been delivering content goes a very long way in terms of backers who actually play the game feel assured that they will deliver a product. It doesn't mean everyone will like it, but more that we will receive a version that includes all the main loops we have been expecting.

Wow this really does sum it up quite nicely. Imagine paying the price of a new console for 1 digital ship lol.

It isn't . This is incredibly misleading because his tweet wasn't aimed at everyone just specific backers because anyone who is a fresh backer won't even be able to see the package he is talking about.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of SC either, but it's factually false to say they have delivered "absolutely nothing".

They haven't delivered a finished product, but it's definitely not nothing.

True.

They have missed the deadlines that they themselves have set.

They have parred down on that which was promised, so that what is finally delivered is a shadow of the original feature set.

Of course what they have served is not nothing. But it is no where indicative of a 250 million dollar budget.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My main worry is regarding the overall scope of things they are promising and how it will even match up with some of the ships they are selling.

The original pitch was supposed to basically be 100 hand crafted systems IIRC, which seems like it would still be a stretch to justify ship classes like colony ships which they have been adding over the years.
However, I feel like they have been extremely coy about how many actual systems they will deliver when we hit the true 1.0 release.

I just want SQ42 sometime next year please....

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why are we comparing TF2 hats and Star Citizen ships, especially when TF2 hats (hell, marketable Valve game items altogether) are part of a meta market players made themselves than Valve selling them for thousands outright.

Star Citizen ships are not only sold with the price of hundreds to a thousand dollar price by Star Citizen themselves, but what started as a pledge target has turned into... I have no idea what to compare what they made.

In the past week we had the 2949 expo where their official twitter handle reminded me more of a car company than about a game.

Are there any co op missions, raids, or benefits by flying those huge ships with friends yet?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Because with each update so far they wiped the database in general to have a clean slate for testing.
Ships aren't the only thing that got lost in the process. Any weapon, armor, ship component or cosmetic clothes bought between major patches gets wiped regularly so far, as your in-game "bank account".
The only reason "people who bought ships" keep them is because they aren't an in-game possession, they are "written down" as part of your account.
They still lose all the rest.
Fuck, they've been wiping ships, and you didn't even tell me that when we were going back and forth on grind times and the in-game economy.

They wouldn't wipe the ships if they didn't plan on drastically increasing the amount of time it takes to grind.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i'm not a star citizen hater or anything but i just really don't know how i feel about them continuing to sell as much things as they have over the last few years. i don't watch say they're being intentionally exploitative but something about it doesn't sit right with me

i do think they'll end up delivering the games they've promised, though to what quality idk. i'm still interested in their story driven thing

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying Destiny was $500 million? Wasn't that proven to be factually incorrect? (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-budget-nowhere-near-500-million-bungie-says/1100-6420802/)

The 500$ million figure came from Kotick himself, not sure why he would lie.

The quote from Bungie is:

"For marketing you'd have to ask Activision people, but for development costs, not anything close to $500 million," Parsons told GameIndustry International in an interview. "I think that speaks a lot more to the long-term investment that we're making in the future of the product."

Which fits the 140$ million figure we saw in the contract, for development + marketing.

That dosn't mean Activision was lying.

Oct 31, 2017
Fuck, they've been wiping ships, and you didn't even tell me that when we were going back and forth on grind times and the in-game economy.

They wouldn't wipe the ships if they didn't plan on drastically increasing the amount of time it takes to grind.
I think I've been extremely explicit upfront?

Well, that's the big question, isn't it? So far to be honest if anything it's way too easy.
An experienced player even with a basic ship can reliably farm between 50 and 200K in one session. Some manage to make even more taking some risks.
For context all the ships that you can currently fly can be bought in game and their price ranges between 200K and 14 millions for the most gigantic ones.

You can farm one evening and make enough money to buy a 30-60 dollars ship. Two-three days for most of the ones under 250 and so on.
It will be interesting to see how much this will get tuned after release (when they will be persistent purchases as well).
You just weren't paying attention.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because is not really 2 distinct games made up from scratch. SQ42 is using all the tech, models and code that was developed for the MMO part, of course necessary work (and money) needs to be done specifically for that game, but is not 2 games from zero.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why are we comparing TF2 hats and Star Citizen ships, especially when TF2 hats (hell, marketable Valve game items altogether) are part of a meta market players made themselves than Valve selling them for thousands outright.

Star Citizen ships are not only sold with the price of hundreds to a thousand dollar price by Star Citizen themselves, but what started as a pledge target has turned into... I have no idea what to compare what they made.

In the past week we had the 2949 expo where their official twitter handle reminded me more of a car company than about a game.

That is because the event is like an in universe expo and all ships have commercials resembling car commercials. They also had a show representing the IAE that is similar to "Top Gear". This was done on purpose because the convention was in game.

IAE_banner_KB_PNG.png

Are there any co op missions, raids, or benefits by flying those huge ships with friends yet?

For now if you go criminal route you will eventually face a UEE hammerhead if you cause enough trouble and in next patch they have a mission where you and a group need to rescue a hijacked 890. And this doesn't even even include PvP battles like this.... or anything rexzilla puts out.

Because is not really 2 distinct games made up from scratch. SQ42 is using all the tech, models and code that was developed for the MMO part, of course necessary work (and money) needs to be done specifically for that game, but is not 2 games from zero.

You are right it is not from zero but not everything in S42 will you have access to in SC and vice versa. There are still a huge amount of content that is going to be seperated between two not only for tech reasons but also for balance.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018

The backers wont say development is normal. And neither would the devs at CiG state that either.

Initially SQ42 was just SC single player campaign. It was sold in conjunction with SC. At some point they divorced the two things and started having SQ42 be an independent purchase. This is even one of the points of contention on the Crytek lawsuit, since they initially licencesed the engine for SC (which included SQ42) but then when they split the packages you had revenue being generated by something that wasn't SC

I dont see how its any different from say GTA5 or RDR2 except you know those actually existing and not requiring exploitative crowdfunding campaigns to get done

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
how many AAA games could be made with that money?

One or two, but the difference is that those games will actually be released in a reasonable amount of time and be feature complete. A quarter billion dollars with no end in sight (or even a coherent plan beyond some 'roadmap' they keep missing milestones on) makes no sense.

Oct 31, 2017
Interestingly enough, it seems like for the most part it's the other way around.
According to the devs a lot of what is getting developed and implemented for SQ42 then goes into some heavy modification/expansion to add it to the persistent universe one day.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At $10 billion they unveil the release roadmap. At $20 billion you get an early access date.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is because the event is like an in universe expo and all ships have commercials resembling car commercials. They also had a show representing the IAE that is similar to "Top Gear". This was done on purpose because the convention was in game.

IAE_banner_KB_PNG.png

[/URL]
I know about the in game expo, but the point is that they promote those ships like car commercials do; and even the ship pledge page resembles an online store to buy cars, to the point where you can download brochures

It looks cool, but not when they say it's a 310 dollars pledge.

For now if you go criminal route you will eventually face a UEE hammerhead if you cause enough trouble and in next patch they have a mission where you and a group need to rescue a hijacked 890. And this doesn't even even include PvP battles like this.... or anything rexzilla puts out.

I was talking about what you can do now, and that mission isn't out yet. I didn't say anything about Rexzilla's PVP battles because those aren't missions made by CIG. Creative way to take advantage of the sandbox though.

Dec 23, 2018
Interestingly enough, it seems like for the most part it's the other way around.
According to the devs a lot of what is getting developed and implemented for SQ42 then goes into some heavy modification/expansion to add it to the persistent universe one day.
They gave a soft release for SQ42s beta for next year. They are pretty much prioritizing that over almost everything else right now because the last thing the project needs is another year of 2014 2015 2016 201x??? 2020 2021 we mean it this time everyone we swear.

It wasn't like this. SC development priorities shift fluidly depending on what Chris Roberts has oversold. Usually SQ42 development would grind to a halt in the second half of the year so that everyone would be hand on deck trying to get the convention things worked on and the end of year patch ready. But it seems that they are trying to stick to the plan now that they've sold a chunk of the company to venture capital

e- Speaking of the beta, has anyone actually asked them what BETA means to them in this case? Will the entire single player campaign be available for people that purchase a package or is it limited?

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be the greatest most bestest most biggest most expansive most sexually thrilling most realistic video game ever made.

I fully expect to turn on the finished product, black out, and wake up with a family and a house or something at this point.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
I remember first hearing about this game how hyped I was about it. The idea of flying your own spaceship and traveling the galaxy was/still seems really amazing.

I can still vividly remember back in 2014 me and my friend were talking about it and were hoping it would be released by the end of 2016... Fast forward to almost 2020 and still this game is nowhere to be fully released and the more I hear about it the less I'm interested. It's basically a 3DMark tech Demo with microtransactions. Paying 700$+ for a virtual ship, holy fuck some guys are out of their mind.

I still haven't played it after all of these years. I wanted to get the full experience, it seems i"ll never get it, such a shame what this project has become.

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
At a certain point, you just need to release the damn game lol

Like I'm pretty sure this is reaching RDR2 lvls of costs or its already surpassed that

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Also can someone legitimately explain to me how those $600 ships are worth the money? Like wtf do you get out of it??

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The game needed to be feature complete years ago but there's no one who can reign Roberts in. Roberts who by the way hasn't finished a game in a long ass time without someone else taking over because of the same problem now has a limitless checkbook.

We're lucky if Squadron ever ships and that was the original goal of the crowdfunding. It's not so much a scam as it is an impossible dream.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The game needed to be feature complete years ago but there's no one who can reign Roberts in. Roberts who by the way hasn't finished a game in a long ass time without someone else taking over because of the same problem now has a limitless checkbook.
That's what makes it so disingenuous whenever RDR2 gets brought up as a comparison point to deflect criticism(which it inevitably does, along with the previously noted weird deflections towards Elite). Rockstar is an established dev that has a proven pipeline and also shipped other products in the time it took to develop RDR2. Star Citizen is not the same scenario, with Roberts not having anywhere near the cache that R* has for the comparison to work.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Ok wait,

I'm currently browsing the /r/StarCitizen subreddit for the first time and someone posted that he's now part of the "Chairman's Club" as a Wing Commander.

After googling what it means, people are saying you can get to that rank once you spend 10 000$... yes, 10k.

...what?

Edit: And someone else is saying they're 2 rank above that which is Legatus Navium which is 25 000$

... I'm out.

Last edited:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

We're lucky if Squadron ever ships and that was the original goal of the crowdfunding. It's not so much a scam as it is an impossible dream.

Bingo. I don't think it's a scam or any such nonsense by any means but I am skeptical of a 1.0 product ever coming out, and if it does, it certainly won't have the pie in the sky features that were promised.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Ok wait,

I'm currently browsing the /r/StarCitizen subreddit for the first time and someone posted that he's now part of the "Chairman's Club" as a Wing Commander.

After googling what it means, people are saying you can get to that rank once you spend 10 000$... yes, 10k.

...what?

Edit: And someone else is saying they're 2 rank above that which is Legatus Navium which is 25 000$

... I'm out.

There are whales who have put 6 figures into this.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok wait,

...what?

... I'm out.
Complete with your very own concierge to answer your every questions and needs, an exclusive forum just for those that spent more than 1,000, and of course this wearable perk;

Jacopo_Top_Hat_%26_Monocle.png

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Wow they legit coming up on a decade in development. The money is whatever, but if I was a backer i be more miffed at there being no end in sight. They kickstarted a game with an understanding there would be end in sight.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So when is the Squadron 42 beta going to release?

Beta is slated for Q3* (September, 2020). Full game release is 2021 realistically.

*This will slip undoubtedly.

Star Citizen I pegged for most major ship gameplay by 2022 (mining, refueling, salvage, exploration, etc.) with 3-5 systems (this includes generated missions, etc.).

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow they legit coming up on a decade in development. The money is whatever, but if I was a backer i be more miffed at there being no end in sight. They kickstarted a game with an understanding there would be end in sight.

You do realize you don't need to be angry on other people's behalf right? This is where these threads always veer off to shitposting territory. If the backers are happy (and they obviously are since people keep throwing money at this), why is it everyone else's job that doesn't play it to demean those backers on top of calling what they're paying for a scam?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize you don't need to be angry on other people's behalf right? This is where these threads always veer off to shitposting territory. If the backers are happy (and they obviously are since people keep throwing money at this), why is it everyone else's job that doesn't play it to demean those backers on top of calling what they're paying for a scam?
Are you saying that products/companies can't be criticized and judged because some people will pay?

Like, there's always going to be someone who supports horrible business practices. Does that mean we can't point out how shitty those practices are? Or how badly people are being ripped off?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you assuming all backers are happy with it being the way it is?

This is what baffles me when I see so many of the deflections of criticisms of the game. A friend and I chipped into a 2012 kickstarter for something that was promised for 2014. These things take time, sure, but 2020 being the current promise for the friggin' beta is worth giving CIG the side eyes over.

Last edited: