• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beta is slated for Q3* (September, 2020). Full game release is 2021 realistically.

*This will slip undoubtedly.

Star Citizen I pegged for most major ship gameplay by 2022 (mining, refueling, salvage, exploration, etc.) with 3-5 systems (this includes generated missions, etc.).
Dense 3-5 systems would definitely be better than whatever promise Chris Roberts made back then, especially with explorable planets.

I dont have any hope that they'll finish this before they run out of money though, especially since Squadron 42 is still in development.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Or how badly people are being ripped off?

Honestly, if this point isn't brought up at any point going forward in any Star Citizen thread, it'd be too soon. If this "practice" was applied evenly to every game on this forum, you couldn't post about anything without someone jumping on you. Like Fortnite and buy skins for it all the time? You're being ripped off. Like gacha games enough to pay for them? Ripped off. You bought the latest sports game that's the same thing as last year with a different roster? DEFINITELY ripped off.

For some reason the rules are applied different to Star Citizen threads and I'd like to see that stop.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if this point isn't brought up at any point going forward in any Star Citizen thread, it'd be too soon. If this "practice" was applied evenly to every game on this forum, you couldn't post about anything without someone jumping on you. Like Fortnite and buy skins for it all the time? You're being ripped off. Like gacha games enough to pay for them? Ripped off. You bought the latest sports game that's the same thing as last year with a different roster? DEFINITELY ripped off.

For some reason the rules are applied different to Star Citizen threads and I'd like to see that stop.
Not really, we talk about how bad those business practice are. Just search for microtransactions in the search bar and you'll find it.

The rules arent different in Star Citizen threads. It never was. It's a badly managed and developed game in a lot of areas.

Also we aren't targetting you, we are criticising the game and the company ffs.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Star Citizen I pegged for most major ship gameplay by 2022 (mining, refueling, salvage, exploration, etc.) with 3-5 systems (this includes generated missions, etc.).

This is what confounds me really, because at this point this is the only real outcome I can see even in a best case scenario, no matter how good their map generation tech ends up being.

I guess it depends on how dense the systems are, but what are the people who paid $900+ for a colony ship going to do in such a small persistent world?
Wouldn't that run it's course within like a week no matter how dense they are? At this point it's tough to even find undiscovered water worlds in the Elite Dangerous 'bubble' which is probably like..10,000+ systems.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

Not even close.

People have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a game that isn't even out yet.

Can you even imagine if EA, Activision, or Ubisoft tried to do something like this? Do you remember Battlefront 2? The constant controversy over lootboxes? Or the outcry that constantly goes on with microtransactions in CoD? And those were content complete games that were released before players could spend insane amounts of money on them.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

There's one remarkably obvious difference between Star Citizen and all of the examples you've mentioned.

Besides that, the idea that people don't criticize those other games for what they do just isn't accurate.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Squadron 42 is estimated for 2020 release and the mmo part is still TBD, you're right about it being too late though.

Man what the hell... The MMO portion is what Im interested in. Does it REALLY still have no aimed release date? What is Squadron 42?

Jesus Im so glad I only put money on Camelot Unchained and passed on this one so far. I don't feel like either of them will launch in a window that I will care about.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Man what the hell... The MMO portion is what Im interested in. Does it REALLY still have no aimed release date? What is Squadron 42?
Squadron 42 was the Wing Commander-style single player segment of the game that was always a part of the initial pitch.

That said, the post you are quoting is being a little misleading by saying it'll be out in 2020, when that's the scheduled release window for the beta

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squadron 42 was the Wing Commander-style single player segment of the game that was always a part of the initial pitch.

That said, the post you are quoting is being a little misleading by saying it'll be out in 2020, when that's the scheduled release window for the beta
Here's also what they say was in progress in 2016.

2016-10-10-01_09_05-Greenshot.png

3 years since then, and it seems like the Subsumption AI is still way off.

robertsspaceindustries.com

Star Citizen Roadmap - RSI

The Roberts Space Industries Star Citizen and Squadron 42 roadmaps.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Long history of mod whining and antagonistic behavior, numerous accumulated infractions
I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. Where users can call the game a scam, even though it's demonstrably false. Without a warning from the mods.

I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. Where posters calling other users who play the game, cultists. Without a warning from the mods.

I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. that allow the same few users who come into every Star Citizen thread, and make the same demonstrably false statements, without a warning the mods.

I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. With a hilarious lack of any kind of moderation.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, we talk about how bad those business practice are. Just search for microtransactions in the search bar and you'll find it.

The rules arent different in Star Citizen threads. It never was. It's a badly managed and developed game in a lot of areas.

They are different for star citizen threads, people are free to call it a scam and provide no proof. There are plenty of examples in other threads of stuff that would get a warning but not in these.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

That is fine and should be happening, after all this game has a problematic history and a problematic finacing modell after all.

But shit post like "scam", "con", "money laundring" etc doesn't really add anything right?

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Most of the youngest people posting here will probably have kids by the time this game is set for a hard release date. You can look forward to exploring the cosmos with them in your hard-earned (read: costly) star destroyer.

I'm thinking sometime around 2031. Maybe 2029 at the earliest is a good bet.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
While they have a long way to go... saying nothing substantial has been delivered is flat out wrong.
It's been almost 8 years since they started working on it and it's five years past their original "launch" date. What percentage of that game would you say is ready for release?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. Where users can call the game a scam, even though it's demonstrably false. Without a warning from the mods.

I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. Where posters calling other users who play the game, cultists. Without a warning from the mods.

I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. that allow the same few users who come into every Star Citizen thread, and make the same demonstrably false statements, without a warning the mods.

I'm so glad to see yet another Star Citizen thread. With a hilarious lack of any kind of moderation.
There's plenty of people in the thread trying to have a legitimate discussion🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
They are different for star citizen threads, people are free to call it a scam and provide no proof. There are plenty of examples in other threads of stuff that would get a warning but not in these.
What do you think would happen if you called blatantly overpriced microtransactions a scam in a thread about any AAA game? Do you really, truly, honestly think you'd be banned? Warned?

That's completely ignoring the undeniably ballooning development costs, feature creep, and just horrible timeline this game is dealing with.

Here's a game that was originally slated to launch in 2016, has a tentative single player beta release date of Q3 2020, and I can go right now and find people that have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the game. What is that?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's been almost 8 years since they started working on it and it's five years past their original "launch" date. What percentage of that game would you say is ready for release?

But now you are moving the goal post, since that wasn't your initial post (amount of time).

But since they are breaking new ground, extra dev. time would be expected, and to that they have made progress, even major ones which you initial post stated isn't the case.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am interested in this game and would like to eventually see some kind of finished product, but their having raised this much crowdfunded money and not shipped anything (I am well aware you can play a sort-of alpha version, and have as recently as last month) is suspect and disappointing. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a pyramid scheme, rather audacious carelessness in making good on a promise after having taken so many people's money. They kept expanding the scope and starting things over rather than focusing on shipping something first and building upon it later. Like how Rockstar shipped GTA 5 after five years of development, then worked on GTA Online in earnest afterwards.

I know, dead horse and all, but the longer this thing stretches on the more baffling it is. I was expecting Squadron 42 no later than Q4 2019 after it was announced. I think five years was plenty of time for that given they already had something of a foundation at that point. Here we are in almost 2020 and there's still no telling when, if ever, it will ship.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I am interested in this game and would like to eventually see some kind of finished product, but their having raised this much crowdfunded money and not shipped anything (I am well aware you can play a sort-of alpha version, and have as recently as last month) is suspect and disappointing. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a pyramid scheme, rather audacious carelessness in making good on a promise after having taken so many people's money. They kept expanding the scope and starting things over rather than focusing on shipping something first and building upon it later. Like how Rockstar shipped GTA 5 after five years of development, then worked on GTA Online in earnest afterwards.

I know, dead horse and all, but the longer this thing stretches on the more baffling it is. I was expecting Squadron 42 no later than Q4 2019 after it was announced. I think five years was plenty of time for that given they already had something of a foundation at that point. Here we are in 2020 and there's still no telling when, if ever, it will ship.

This is a good post, and I 100% agree.

The feature creep was their bane, while they have become much better in this regard, there are still one or two features added now and then. And yes there has been a carelessness when it comes to project management, no doubt.

SQ42 will come, in beta, next year IIRC.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
But now you are moving the goal post, since that wasn't your initial post (amount of time).

But since they are breaking new ground, extra dev. time would be expected, and to that they have made progress, even major ones which you initial post stated isn't the case.
I'm not moving any goal posts. They haven't delivered anything of substance in comparison to either the budget or the scope of the project that they've outlined so far. The fact that they've had several years to do so just highlights that fact. How many of the modes/modules currently in development have been released as finished products? Now of those, what percentage do they represent of all of the announced modes so far? This is pretty simple. The answer goes to my point.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm not moving any goal posts. They haven't delivered anything of substance in comparison to either the budget or the scope of the project that they've outlined so far. The fact that they've had several years to do so just highlights that fact. How many of the modes/modules currently in development have been released as finished products? Now of those, what percentage do they represent of all of the announced modes so far? This is pretty simple. The answer goes to my point.

You wrote initialy:

A fool and his money are soon parted. Not saying everyone's a fool, but at this point, continuing to donate even though nothing substantial has been delivered is crazy.

Which is flat out wrong. Now you are moving to other areas that has nothing to do with your initial post that I am commenting. So to above, would you not say that tech regarding a planet sized city, traverse from ground to space and reverse, FPS module, planet tech (v2 or was it 4), multi-crew ships as not substantial features?

While this is far from a finished product, we are talking about what have been delivered, not what is left.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A fool and his money are soon parted. Not saying everyone's a fool, but at this point, continuing to donate even though nothing substantial has been delivered is crazy.

Multiple worlds and ports being fleshed out and explorable, including ships, isn't substantial? I feel like people don't even know what you can play in the game. It's a ton.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Multiple worlds and ports being fleshed out and explorable, including ships, isn't substantial? I feel like people don't even know what you can play in the game. It's a ton.

I guess it is just a matter of perspective, but I would also not consider it substantial when measured up to the original pitch.

The original pitch is 100 systems which is something that is still used on the official site blurbs, and which they are still very far from delivering.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is fine and should be happening, after all this game has a problematic history and a problematic finacing modell after all.

But shit post like "scam", "con", "money laundring" etc doesn't really add anything right?
Wasn't aware of the conversation about it being a scam, was replying about the person saying that there's no criticisms for gacha and fortnite for ripping off players.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I have a feeling that this game will be a flop. A massive flop.
I have a feeling most detractors in threads like this haven't played the game at all, and have no idea how groundbreaking it's already become in its alpha build.

I get that it's different to hear so much about a game before release, but that's been part of their unprecedented transparent dev process. I get that it's crazy seeing an original release date missed so wildly, but the game's backers have rallied behind the growing vision and scope for the game and stepped up the funding enough to support that delay. And now that the game is in such a playable state and advancing so much each year the only people embarrassing themselves are the ones saying it's a scam or pyramid scheme that delivers nothing substantial. If SQ42 is playable in beta this time next year I think that's the point these shit posters will mysteriously vanish from Star Citizen threads.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling most detractors in threads like this haven't played the game at all, and have no idea how groundbreaking it's already become in its alpha build.

I get that it's different to hear so much about a game before release, but that's been part of their unprecedented transparent dev process. I get that it's crazy seeing an original release date missed so wildly, but the game's backers have rallied behind the growing vision and scope for the game and stepped up the funding enough to support that delay. And now that the game is in such a playable state and advancing so much each year the only people embarrassing themselves are the ones saying it's a scam or pyramid scheme that delivers nothing substantial. If SQ42 is playable in beta this time next year I think that's the point these shit posters will mysteriously vanish from Star Citizen threads.

I'm not saying that the game is bad or will be bad! I'm just thinking that it will be a flop. :/

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it is just a matter of perspective, but I would also not consider it substantial when measured up to the original pitch.

The original pitch is 100 systems which is something that is still used on the official site blurbs, and which they are still very far from delivering.

I disagree with the idea that what they currently have cannot be considered substantial because of their pitch to have 100 systems. The only other game that even sorta kind of comes close is Elite Dangerous, and even then it doesn't really feel like it.

I'm not a fan of their pricing model, I'm not a fan of how they communicated their development, and it's perfectly valid for people to have complaints about the game.

I take issue with is this prevailing sentiment that Star Citizen has now made $250 million in backing and has done fuck all with it. The technology behind this game is not anywhere else. It (from what I've read and understand) is the first of its kind on a such a massive scale. Yet somehow the idea that it is a scam just keeps being pushed. I remember when people said this game would be cancelled and the money never refunded EVERY SINGLE YEAR after it was first announced.

And yet. Here we are. Multiple worlds. A Blade Runner Star Wars inspired city world. Multiple Star Ports. Fully fleshed our ships with individual mechanics. And it keeps going.

If that's not substantial, then clearly I need to recalibrate myself.

Oct 28, 2017

I'll ask a simple question, as I have the least amount of money on the game with an Aurora in my Hangar and am probably entitled to ask the question based on the initial pitch.

"They said I was dead
Now they say mobile and tablets are the future
I say to you, the reports of my death at have been greatly exaggerated
I am a PC game"

Now I was expecting to play SQ42 and not so interesting Star Citizen, have the developers mentioned an approximate release date which doesn't get pushed ahead multiple times?

Because it feels to me like Chris Roberts was extremely dishonest at getting us a game in the short term and now we are in line for who knows how long until a final approximate release date is!

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'll ask a simple question, as I have the least amount of money on the game with an Aurora in my Hangar and am probably entitled to ask the question based on the initial pitch.

"They said I was dead
I am a PC game"

Now I was expecting to play SQ42 and not so interesting Star Citizen, have the developers mentioned an approximate release date which doesn't get pushed ahead multiple times?

Because it feels to me like Chris Roberts was extremely dishonest at getting us a game in the short term and now we are in line for who knows how long until a final approximate release date is!

But this is a good post and not what Shy is complaining at.

Yes, he was dishonest and/or very naive to think that he could deliver what he promised when he increased the scope many many many many x 10 times over.

Regarding SQ42, IIRC, the beta will release next year, which was a date they set some time ago, but the inital date for 2020 was postponed 3 months IIRC.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"They said I was dead
I am a PC game"

That's got nothing to do with what i said.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I disagree with the idea that what they currently have cannot be considered substantial because of their pitch to have 100 systems. The only other game that even sorta kind of comes close is Elite Dangerous, and even then it doesn't really feel like it.

I'm not a fan of their pricing model, I'm not a fan of how they communicated their development, and it's perfectly valid for people to have complaints about the game.

I take issue with is this prevailing sentiment that Star Citizen has now made $250 million in backing and has done fuck all with it. The technology behind this game is not anywhere else. It (from what I've read and understand) is the first of its kind on a such a massive scale. Yet somehow the idea that it is a scam just keeps being pushed. I remember when people said this game would be cancelled and the money never refunded EVERY SINGLE YEAR after it was first announced.

And yet. Here we are. Multiple worlds. A Blade Runner Star Wars inspired city world. Multiple Star Ports. Fully fleshed our ships with individual mechanics. And it keeps going.

If that's not substantial, then clearly I need to recalibrate myself.

Like I said it is a matter of perspective.
Taken in a vacuum, there is absolutely a lot of stuff in the game with some very innovative tech implemented already with even more coming in the roadmap.

However if you are measuring the current content up against the original pitch back in 2012 (which is still promised on the official site), it still seems like we are a decade away from completing that content! And it just looks even worse when you remember that was originally promised on a budget of 8 million (iirc) and we are now at 250 million!

I agree with you that the project isn't a complete scam, but I am also not convinced that they will ever reach the end goal just by looking at the current state.
They have to be burning through cash at an incredible rate with the amount of studios they have as well.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think would happen if you called blatantly overpriced microtransactions a scam in a thread about any AAA game? Do you really, truly, honestly think you'd be banned? Warned?

That's completely ignoring the undeniably ballooning development costs, feature creep, and just horrible timeline this game is dealing with.

Here's a game that was originally slated to launch in 2016, has a tentative single player beta release date of Q3 2020, and I can go right now and find people that have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the game. What is that?
Yes I would be warned when that would be considered trolling when it's clogging up a thread where you and others parrot information that doesn't back up you calling it a scam. That's what posters who call it a scam are doing because they are wrong but refuse to do any basic research on the game and only make threads worst with it.

Oct 31, 2017

Jesus Im so glad I only put money on Camelot Unchained and passed on this one so far. I don't feel like either of them will launch in a window that I will care about.
Squadron 42 is supposed to be their big single player campaign, with cinematic cutscenes, scripted missions, dialogues and choices in between, etc.
It's basically their high budget retake on the "Wing Commander" formula, except it will include things their tech allows, like going around on feet, FPS combat, etc, etc.

About the MMO, "no release in sight" is a bit vague, because as a live service arguably the game will never "be done" in the traditional sense.
They are already treating every major patch they put out as a mini release. At some arbitrary point across development, as soon as they'll have persistence and server meshing in place, they will probably call it "1.0" or whatever and... that will most likely be just the beginning, for as long as people will be willing to play (and pay for things).

Also, if that's what "you're interested in", you can just give it a try. They have free trial events basically at every major patch, with the the last one currently ongoing up to December 5th.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Squadron 42 is supposed to be their big single player campaign, with cinematic cutscenes, scripted missions, dialogues and choices in between, etc.
It's basically their high budget retake on the "Wing Commander" formula, except it will include things their tech allows, like going around on feet, FPS combat, etc, etc.

About the MMO, "no release in sight" is a bit vague, because as a live service arguably the game will never "be done" in the traditional sense.
They are already treating every major patch they put out as a mini release. At some arbitrary point across development, as soon as they'll have persistence and server meshing in place, they will probably call it "1.0" or whatever and... that will most likely be just the beginning.

Also, if that's what "you're interested in", you can just give it a try. They have free trial events basically at every major patch, with the the last one currently ongoing up to December 5th.
Tbf I expect server meshing v1 (announced for ~mid to end 2020) to be called beta 1.0
I'd expect release 1.0 to be when most star systems are in, server meshing and SSOCS are more or less final and the game is less buggy, which could definitely take another 2 to 3 years, maybe even a bit more.

But I'm absolutely happy to beta test for them, since it's already lots of fun!