• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Only problem is, that it's a highly complex simulation game (as far as I understand). Not a modern Wing Commander. :/

They are doing two games at the same time basically : Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Squadron 42 is the solo campaign and it's a Wing Commander with cutscenes, heavy narration, scripted events, etc etc. Just much more open that the games of old. It's supposed to be available in beta next year.

Star Citizen is the mmo sand box, and the base of it is the only thing the backers can play as of right now.

They share all of the tech / models / gameplay between them but the way you actually play them should be very different.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They are doing two games at the same time basically : Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Squadron 42 is the solo campaign and it's a Wing Commander with cutscenes, heavy narration, scripted events, etc etc. Just much more open that the games of old. It's supposed to be available in beta next year.

Star Citizen is the mmo sand box, and the base of it is the only thing the backers can play as of right now.

They share all of the tech / models / gameplay between them but the way you actually play them should be very different.
Ah, thanks. So I'll keep an eye on the single player game then when it arrives next year.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
16GB of DDR4 3200. Reducing resolution from 1440p to 720p had made no difference, and that tells me it's an engine problem.

If you stayed at ArcCorp, it's actually more a server problem than an engine problem. The server is the biggest bottleneck for the game right now. We should get some improvments towards the end of the month and others during next year. Keyword always being "should".

Too many people in the same area overwhelms the server very quickly. And with the expo and the freefly setting the initial spawn point for everyone at ArcCorp, last week always had at least like half the players of the servers at the same place. The server don't like that very much and struggle to send updates to the client and thus it delays a lot of frames to be rendered. I think that's also why the other player animations are so shitty right now.

Add to that the fact that ArcCorp is naturally a rather resource intensive area (it's a city wide planet after all) and the perfs where bound to be subpar.

I struggled to reach 30 fps there last week, on a i7 8800, 16go ram and a 1080ti at 1440p. But after leaving ArcCorp to do do some missions on Aberdeen, i was enjoying a good 60 fps in average.

Jun 1, 2018
Yeah right its a scam. Can we please stop "when does it release" crap? You can play it right now already.

rr_ac4.png

blizz.png

it's the fyre festival of games. chris roberts even looks a little like the perpetrator of that fiasco.

in the fyre documentary, they also keep upselling people to generate more needed money.

the only difference is that festival had a fixed date so they couldn't keep the incompetence grift going. Chris roberts has no such issue. it's a legendary scam. Not on purpose, more of a "i'm incompetent and like to roll in money and have no shame whatsoever" scam.

$300 million dollars wasted. They should've given it to Kojima.

"
Setting aside all judgments about the company or backers, what seems indisputable is that there is a huge demand for whatever this game is promising. Though other games have made forays into the market (Eve, Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky), whatever lightning in a bottle that is being promised by this project seems to have immense appeal to a large market segment.

Perhaps it's all a phantasm, and at the end of the day nothing will be produced. It's worth noting, however, that a great deal is already produced and by all appearances, and setting aside whatever waste critics may attribute to the company, CIG does appear to be working consistently on the project and attempting to improve it. Whether it goes anywhere or sputters to an end at some point remains to be seen, but at the very least I think all parties can admit that the effort is being put in, even if differing opinions exist about whether it will cross the finish line.

That, however, ought to make critics at the very least ask why no one else hasn't stepped up to the plate and taken their swing. With 250,000,000 dollars (and possibly more) up for grabs, why hasn't a more reputable, more established, and (at least in the eyes of the gaming press) more productive company made a pitch to draw off Star Citizen's backers?

Other than tossing insults at the backers (It's a cult!) the real answer seems to be more in line with one of the following:
1) It's not cost effective. The rate of return of using an established engine to make a Call of Duty clone or a minor incremental improvement on an existing property is vastly higher than creating a new code base for something of this scale. "We don't think it's worth it"
2) It's not feasible. The technology does not currently exist or have a reasonable likelihood of being developed in the foreseeable future. "We don't think it's possible".

Both reasons feel like justifications to support (or at the very least be indifferent to) the Star Citizen project. After all, if companies aren't investing in whatever it is that Star Citizen is promising because of the first reason, then the more money that the community puts in the more likely other companies are to see viability of their own investments in the future- after all, if someone (just not CIG) can achieve all of this, isn't it better that they demonstrate the market viability of the project to others?

If it's the second reason, then applaud Star Citizen for attempting to scale the mountain previously thought unscalable- even if they fail it's a noteworthy effort. Whether they are misspending money and would be better managed by a different captain at the helm, they are still making the effort.

I guess what I don't understand (and may never understand) is why this game has such a weird set of devotees and detractors in ways that other entertainment media doesn't. No one sits around attacking Universal Pictures for burning through 175 million dollars of backers cash on Mortal Engines, or Disney for green-lighting John Carter to the tune of negative 200 million dollars (to name two of many, many box-office bombs). Entertainment money is wasted all the time because creating financially viable art is an uncertain endeavor. The Star Citizen guys have apparently put the stakes of their artistic effort (in the form of backers dollars) up front and center, and in the end they will either produce the Mona Lisa or a cross in a jar of urine (though likely something in between). Yet in the end if it bombs it will bomb in much the same way as hundreds of artistic efforts have bombed before it, for about the same price tag. I don't get the emotional investment."

This summarizes everything i agree with

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
That, however, ought to make critics at the very least ask why no one else hasn't stepped up to the plate and taken their swing. With 250,000,000 dollars (and possibly more) up for grabs, why hasn't a more reputable, more established, and (at least in the eyes of the gaming press) more productive company made a pitch to draw off Star Citizen's backers?

Other than tossing insults at the backers (It's a cult!) the real answer seems to be more in line with one of the following:
1) It's not cost effective. The rate of return of using an established engine to make a Call of Duty clone or a minor incremental improvement on an existing property is vastly higher than creating a new code base for something of this scale. "We don't think it's worth it"
2) It's not feasible. The technology does not currently exist or have a reasonable likelihood of being developed in the foreseeable future. "We don't think it's possible".
You should probably clarify that this is copied from a PCGamer article, but it was a great comment.

Personally I think 2) is the most likely, but that the tech will exist in the forseeable future (next gen consoles). Starfield could pose a huge challenge to SQ42 if Chris Roberts drags his team's heels into 2021. Starfield has been in pre-production since at least 2011, and in full production from 2015. And I know, "Bethesda's got a janky engine!!1!" but with console hardware finally shaping up to support games of this scale (mostly SSDs) and Bethesda's backs against a wall forcing them to focus hard on delivering what they do best - colossal open worlds with systemic gameplay... I think next gen could be huge for space sims. Star Citizen / SQ42 certainly has at least one direct competitor to contend with in Bethesda, and who knows what Elite Dangerous and a potential No Man's Sky 2 has planned for next gen. The tech is finally coming though, and devs are not sleeping on this market.

Jun 1, 2018
You should probably clarify that this is copied from a PCGamer article, but it was a great comment.

Personally I think 2) is the most likely, but that the tech will exist in the forseeable future (next gen consoles). Starfield could pose a huge challenge to SQ42 if Chris Roberts drags his team's heels into 2021. Starfield has been in pre-production since at least 2011, and in full production from 2015. And I know, "Bethesda's got a janky engine!!1!" but with console hardware finally shaping up to support games of this scale (mostly SSDs) and Bethesda's backs against a wall forcing them to focus hard on delivering what they do best - colossal open worlds with systemic gameplay... I think next gen could be huge for space sims. Star Citizen / SQ42 certainly has at least one direct competitor to contend with in Bethesda, and who knows what Elite Dangerous and a potential No Man's Sky 2 has planned for next gen. The tech is finally coming though, and devs are not sleeping on this market.
Updated it - was in a hurry earlier!

Nov 25, 2017
I have an i7-7700k, GTX 1080, 32GB of RAM, and two SSD's. Running at 1440p on high I don't that great of performance unless I turn off all blur. Then things are mostly fine. Switching to medium settings doesn't help as far as I can tell, just makes the lighting look a lot more poor. I think the game looks pretty nice, but it needs a lot more optimization. For the specs they demand it should look better.

The biggest bottleneck to performance right now isn't really the client, it's the server. 3.8 (hopefully live this month) will release v1 of a new and much anticipated server/network stack (of a sort), which should start removing some of these issues. Of course, being a whole new tech stack, my guess is a bunch of other problems while they test with more realistic loads. December releases are always a little rough due to the limited testing time. My guess it starts paying dividends by 4.0 in Q2.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think if STarfield is anything like other bethesda rpg's it will have more in common with a Mass Effect and not the large simulation world of Star Citizen

I hope Star Citizen comes out while i still play video games

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Oh...

This is a great summary, thank you! I'm interested in the campaign stuff.

I guess I should get whatever top tier CPU-GPU combo is recommended once it comes out eventually? I saw some old DF videos and everything ran so slowly...

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh...

This is a great summary, thank you! I'm interested in the campaign stuff.

I guess I should get whatever top tier CPU-GPU combo is recommended once it comes out eventually? I saw some old DF videos and everything ran so slowly...
The most important is a system with SSD. From what I've seen it runs much better now (bugs notwithstanding) but an SSD is pretty much a requirement. I've seen it run smoothly on a 2060.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018

RSI Public Telemetry

Considering what the game does it runs fine. As long as you install on a SSD. Also I have to say this is one of the few games where ~30-40 fps feels very acceptable. The motion blur is excellent in smoothing out everything.

As much as I like to whine on the game itself the tech behind it is really cool! I found time yesterday to hear the talk on planettech V4 and found it very impressive. Cant wait to see all the vulcanic planets from Pyro.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I honestly don't see this game going anywhere exciting or mind blowing and the target audience looks to be even fewer than those interested in VR.

Like who is this game even for anymore? It was built around the idea of a spaceship flight simulator with attacking other pirate ships and whatnot, more of a revival of a genre that was lost with Rogue Squadron.

I'm at a loss of words at even the attempt to monetize this thing before it even releases which seems farther and farther each day.

I don't get people.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The most important is a system with SSD. From what I've seen it runs much better now (bugs notwithstanding) but an SSD is pretty much a requirement. I've seen it run smoothly on a 2060.

RSI Public Telemetry

Considering what the game does it runs fine. As long as you install on a SSD. Also I have to say this is one of the few games where ~30-40 fps feels very acceptable. The motion blur is excellent in smoothing out everything.

As much as I like to whine on the game itself the tech behind it is really cool! I found time yesterday to hear the talk on planettech V4 and found it very impressive. Cant wait to see all the vulcanic planets from Pyro.

Thank you both!

Got it. I actually upgraded to an SSD m2 last year and my (PC) life changed. It makes sense.

I would still need to invest on a CPU and GPU.

Oct 25, 2017
The Star Citizen guys have apparently put the stakes of their artistic effort (in the form of backers dollars) up front and center, and in the end they will either produce the Mona Lisa or a cross in a jar of urine (though likely something in between).
Not sure how wise it is for me to wade in to this (while I like space sims, I haven't been following Star Citizen's development at all,) but Serrano's Piss Christ is a beautiful and powerful work of art. If Star Citizen sits between it and the Mona Lisa, that is high praise.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
With all these ships, housing, etc. etc. for purchase how the heck is the balancing of this game even going to work?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
With all these ships, housing, etc. etc. for purchase how the heck is the balancing of this game even going to work?

I think they're aiming for the kind of chaos and imbalance that exists in the real world for open space / the persistent world. They'll worry about balance in the FPS and arena combat modes.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're aiming for the kind of chaos and imbalance that exists in the real world for open space / the persistent world. They'll worry about balance in the FPS and arena combat modes.
Hmmm... I guess it's pretty interesting to have the game reflect the social and economic inequity in the real world.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully the economy in the MMO won't reflect capitalism too much, where we'll see class of people who bought all the ships and got in early on this controlling everything and becoming huge angry babies when there are attempts to make things more fair.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
How far off is their single player game ? you'd imagine it'd be perfect if they managed to release the game during the first couple years of the next gen consoles (unless they have no plans for console ports at the moment)

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Funny how they say it raised 250 mil when it should say it scammed people for 250 mil.

I mean, seriously... How was no one in this scheme arrested is beyond me.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
How far off is their single player game ? you'd imagine it'd be perfect if they managed to release the game during the first couple years of the next gen consoles (unless they have no plans for console ports at the moment)

The single player game was originally meant to be released in 2014 then every year since. It was the cover story of PC Gamer back in October 2015! Anyway for now it's targeted to be in "Beta" sometime next year whatever little that means.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Funny how the release date for the *something* is always just about 7-10 months away. Close enough to keep you strung along, but far enough that they never have to show anything concrete.

cyress8

Avenger
Funny how they say it raised 250 mil when it should say it scammed people for 250 mil.

I mean, seriously... How was no one in this scheme arrested is beyond me.
Yep, 500 people (with industry vets) payrolls, buildings for devs, taxes, mocap buildings being rented, Motherfucking Mark Hamill plus other major stars. All of that cost just a thousand bucks.

Stop being a dick to devs trying to make a game they are trying their best to create.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just doubting that Squadron 42's plot will be anything worthwhile. The Wing Commander movie is just awful.
Movie certainly was lesser than games, which didn't have brilliant stories yet were fun and engaging to experience.

If SQ42 will be decent spaceopera storyline I'm happy.

We really haven't had too much similar experiences as games, Wing Commander was always about people in hard times trying to survive the odds.
Talking with squadmates between missions was an important part of the game and storyline. (Which highlighted loss when squadmate dies.)

As a game what surprises me now a days is how much of internal components damage states and such were 'simulated', even in WC1.
It always felt amazing to return home to Tigers Claw while most guns, radar, or shields were shot to pieces. (One of my favorite experiences ever was fighting overwhelming odds with wreck of a ship and winning navpoint.
Location in space was proper as well and one could make some missions a lot easier with good navigation.