• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some look nice, not really a fan of most though.

Ace Combat's futuristic ships are the ones that makes me swoon.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Every time I see this I'm tempted to get into this game but the money sink just feels far too wide for me to devote myself to. Can anyone cut through the shit posts enough to explain how much I have to spend to "enjoy" the game, or even just get into it/started?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What is this game about?Amazing ships indeed.
Screenshot maker.

Every time I see this I'm tempted to get into this game but the money sink just feels far too wide for me to devote myself to. Can anyone cut through the shit posts enough to explain how much I have to spend to "enjoy" the game, or even just get into it/started?
I think to get started you just buy one of the 'starter packs' including the game and a ship

robertsspaceindustries.com

Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
They are nice, most of them. I see some influence in some designs. I can see a decimator, a Klingon ship, and a white star. All great ships.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, Star citizen looks really nice in screenshots. I hope there will be another free flight weekend this citizencon, I need some new desktop wallpapers.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
At some point I really need to dig up the kit I bought ages ago and fire this up and try out the ship. I think it was like a $60 game/ship pack, so nothing outrageous. Don't even remember what ship I got.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll post some in-game shots, lol

SC-3.5_20190610_105850_325-stylish-hitman-walk-away_f.png

Sabre_WIP_01.jpg

TEhBKiO2Vb88KEbgfU4MK3u2FcEsh7XLTOdGgr6iuyY.jpg

source.jpg

source.jpg
It looks like a picture too lol

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I still don't understand this game. I always see it from time to time, but can I actually buy it? Has it been released?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, the design are insane I agree.

And it is sad that people need to shitpost and drag the whole OP down, hopefully corrected by the mod team.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I know this is a ship thread, but can we take the time to appreciate how great the environments look too? These are all in-game shots.

starcitizenalpha3.5052vk95.jpg

ekdp5alcdpw21.jpg

source.jpg

953c670dd7ab8d8117eebd46473c2009.jpg

source.jpg

source.jpg

source.jpg

oJxaUDf.jpg
Yeah the game has some beautiful locations, and I hate that this threads already being trashed again. Like holy if y'all aren't going to be playing the game why do you keep coming to the threads.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Despite how decent the designs are I'm still trying to grasp what this 'game' even is, and what capacity in which it's currently playable... But most baffling to me is the fact that literally anybody is willing to dump such huge quantities of real money on virtual ships. Because there's paid DLC and cosmetics/skins... And then there's this. They appear to range from anywhere between $20 and over $1000, if the wiki is to be believed. I mean... Really? I would be hesitant to spend that much on things that actually exist, let alone some vehicles or objects in an unfinished game. What's the motivation? It's just absolutely insane to me.

Also I think people are right to call attention to this without having to be labelled or generalised as haters / shitposters, it's a fairly relevant observation.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I should mention that somehow it seems everyone says all the ships are super insanely expensive but it's a pretty damn healthy balance of ships that are pretty cheap. 80~ ships over $100 and 60~ ships under $90.

What is this game about?Amazing ships indeed.
It's a lot more indepth version of Elite Dangerous to put it as simple as possible. If you want to learn more about the game and what's available so far is just to look at their roadmap.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Despite how decent the designs are I'm still trying to grasp what this 'game' even is, and what capacity in which it's currently playable... But most baffling to me is the fact that literally anybody is willing to dump such huge quantities of real money on virtual ships. Because there's paid DLC and cosmetics/skins... And then there's this. They appear to range from anywhere between $20 and over $1000, if the wiki is to be believed. I mean... Really? I would be hesitant to spend that much on things that actually exist, let alone some vehicles or objects in an unfinished game. What's the motivation? It's just absolutely insane to me.

Also I think people are right to call attention to this without having to be labelled or generalised as haters / shitposters, it's a fairly relevant observation.

I mean, by forum guidelines you are not allowed since it is not relevant to the topic (as in derailing) at hand since it is focus only on the design of the ships.

Yes, the criticism is valid, but there is a seperate thread for that, and every other thread that is posted here when a new ship is announced for 800 USD etc.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

I think the logic behind it is to fund the development of the game. You can still think it's a total ripoff but I guess that's how they are selling it rather than purely some type of DLC gear.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Love their ship tech and tricks they use.
Very nice and clean modelling, no unnecessary large scale normalmaps, flattening normals to reduce weird artifacts.. etc.

Ermmm... It is ?

It wasn't always the case, yes, but now the game usually run between 30 and 60 most of the time, with a general average at 40. Even on not so beefy rigs. The game being installed on a SSD is waaaay more important than the graphics card, weirdly enough.
I currently have it in HDD and use memory cache to help.
During game the initial loads in areas hitch a bit, but after that it runs fine.

So there is decent alternative to SSD, if one has too small SSD and bit of extra memory.

Last edited:

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California

The MMO version as it is right now:

You log in and wake up in a space station. You pick a ship from a terminal, pick a mission from your "visor" (which is kind of like a UI to do stuff like manage inventory, check missions, etc). Go to your ship, get in and walk around if you want. Take off, explore, and go do missions and earn money.

How can you earn money right now? Delivering cargo, trading, combat (groudn and air), hacking, and I might be forgetting a few. Oh almost forgot, you can do mining now with the mining ships. The gameplay for that is go down to a planet, scan it for resources and then go to the rocks and shoot lasers at them and try not to overload the laser or the rock will explode and damage your ship.

What can you do with that money? You can buy ships now, guns, armor, ammo, fuel (? never done it), repair your ship (? never done it). ship upgrades, ( I think, though I've never tried).

Money gets reset eventually along with progress because they're still working out the gameplay and the grind (how much hours spent to make money to buy ships). Though you do start with some alpha UEC (aUEC which is the games temp currency). It is alpha after all.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can buy most ships now with earned money, but the ships costs aren't balanced to how much you can earn last I heard.

The price of entry is $45.00

Edit: There's enough "fun" and stuff to do to cover quite a few hours if you enjoy the game as it is. I've probably played it for longer than Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The MMO version as it is right now:

You log in and wake up in a space station. You pick a ship from a terminal, pick a mission from your "visor" (which is kind of like a UI to do stuff like manage inventory, check missions, etc). Go to your ship, get in and walk around if you want. Take off, explore, and go do missions and earn money.

How can you earn money right now? Delivering cargo, trading, combat (groudn and air), hacking, and I might be forgetting a few. Oh almost forgot, you can do mining now with the mining ships. The gameplay for that is go down to a planet, scan it for resources and then go to the rocks and shoot lasers at them and try not to overload the laser or the rock will explode and damage your ship.

What can you do with that money? You can buy ships now, guns, armor, ammo, fuel (? never done it), repair your ship (? never done it). ship upgrades, ( I think, though I've never tried).

Money gets reset eventually along with progress because they're still working out the gameplay and the grind (how much hours spent to make money to buy ships). Though you do start with some alpha UEC (aUEC which is the games temp currency). It is alpha after all.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can buy most ships now with earned money, but the ships costs aren't balanced to how much you can earn last I heard.

The price of entry is $45.00

Edit: There's enough "fun" and stuff to do to cover quite a few hours if you enjoy the game as it is. I've probably played it for longer than Elite Dangerous.
What's there to do in the city? Besides buy stuff I guess.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
Would be cooler if they could be displayed at a playable framerate
yeah, 100fps are literally unplayable

great pics, great ships (and no, you don't need to spent hundreds of dollars to unlock them ingame, it will be like Freelancer or any other mmo where you can buy weapons with ingame money - but that should be obvious)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're some awesome poctires of spaceships you'll likely never fly.
Even disregarding the obvious drive-by post connotation of "half of them aren't even in the game yet", the ones that are cost an absolutely exorbitant amount of money.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
Too bad the new flight model SUCKS and there are no differences between atmospheric and space flight.
the new flight model is great.

The hover mode on the other hand is the mode that sucks at the moment (but not for long as it will be replaced/reworked in the next big patch)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, they're some awesome poctires of spaceships you'll likely never fly.
Even disregarding the obvious drive-by post connotation of "half of them aren't even in the game yet", the ones that are cost an absolutely exorbitant amount of money.
The real reason is I'll never have a PC that can run it!

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
yeah, 100fps are literally unplayable

great pics, great ships (and no, you don't need to spent hundreds of dollars to unlock them ingame, it will be like Freelancer or any other mmo where you can buy weapons with ingame money - but that should be obvious)
Can you really just grind for all those fancy looking ships? In a typical reasonable timeframe? That sounds hard to believe.

I won't deny they look good and I wish no man's sky had the size variety.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
Can you really just grind for all those fancy looking ships? In a typical reasonable timeframe? That sounds hard to believe.

why do you think that this is hard to believe? You can already grind for ships in the alpha (even if the credits and the player progress will be reset with every new big patch).

Do you have the same attitude with, let's say, Freelancer or Eve Online?

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
What's there to do in the city? Besides buy stuff I guess.

I've never went to that city planet, but not much from what I understand. Like you said, buy stuff, deliver stuff (if there's a mission for it, though I don't know if any deliver to that planet). Edit: exploring it can be cool if you're into that kind of thing. Though that doesn't last long because there's not much to discover atm.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I won't deny they look good and I wish no man's sky had the size variety.

You cannot grind all the ships right now, however, smaller ships are possible. Any purchases in game is wiped every 3 months (barring any mid-cycle wipe). The pricing in game is in flux as ship pricing/missions/economy is not even finished, any large ships are unobtainable realistically. Most released ships are purchasable in game and every $800 ship will be purchasable in game (when added). Note, I did not address whether the grind would be fun or not, just it is possible to buy smaller ships in game.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
The detail in the game is amazing, especially the interiors but I don't like the soft graphics and the performance was rough on 4K with a 4790k and a 2080ti during the 2018 test flight weekend. Here are some of my screenshots: